Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Docklands Station opening

Options
  • 11-03-2007 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭

I cycled by the Docklands Station this afternoon. Looking good. There were quite a few hi-viz vests milling around getting the place ready for Monday morning, including doing the concrete path for the entrance.

Attached are a few pics.
    I spoke with the guy who did the graffiti artwork seen in one of the pics. He and his two colleagues were doing more work on boards between the station and IFSC.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

but graffiti is vandalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭SeanW

have you seen the 'artwork' picture? It's very nice.

Sure, the idiots that just spraypaint words and tags all over the place are vandals, but some graffiti-ists put some real effort and talent into their works.

Some of them, IMO, blur the line between vandalism and art. This is one of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,015 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

The artwork is much better than having nothing in the middle of the drabness of the dock bank and the surrounding houses

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

but graffiti is vandalism.
    The 'graffiti' (maybe not the best choice of words, 'street art' better?) was commissioned by CIE.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

http://www.iarnrodeireann.ie/news_centre/general_news.asp?action=view&news_id=248
    Docklands Station opens Monday 12th March - more services for Clonsilla to City Centre commuters by Corporate Communications

Iarnród Éireann welcomes customers to the new Docklands Station, which opens this Monday morning 12th March.

First services to and from the new station will be the 07.00hrs Clonsilla to Docklands and 07.30hrs Docklands to Clonsilla.

With four extra services citybound in morning, and four extra services in the evening to Clonsilla, in addition to the existing services on the Maynooth to Connolly/Pearse line, there's a great choice of peak services for west Dublin commuters, with services on average every 10 minutes between 07.30hrs and 09.00hrs.

AM PEAK – FROM CLONSILLA PM PEAK – TO CLONSILLA
    6.35HRS (C) 8.13HRS (P)* 15.59HRS (P)* 17.37HRS (P)*
    7.00HRS (D) 8.20HRS (D) 16.20HRS (D) 18.05HRS (C)
    7.15HRS (P) 8.32HRS (P) 16.34HRS (P)* 18.08HRS (P)*
    7.37HRS (C) 8.45HRS (D) 17.10HRS (D) 18.30HRS (P)
    7.45HRS (D) 8.55HRS (C) 17.15HRS (C) 18.45HRS (D)
    7.52HRS (P) 9.17HRS (P) 17.28HRS (C) 19.00HRS (P)
    8.05HRS (C) 9.25HRS (C) 17.38HRS (D) 19.20HRS (D)

Bold= new services from 12th March. AM Peak times denote departure time from Clonsilla. PM peak times denote departure time from city centre.
    (P)= service operates to/from Pearse.
    (C)= service operates to/from Connolly.
    (D)= service operates to/from Docklands.
    *= service operates to/from stations south of Pearse. Please note Docklands services do not serve Drumcondra, and run directly between Broombridge and Docklands Station.

While directly serving stations from Clonsilla in, the new services will also free up capacity on existing Maynooth line services.

There are a total of 15 services per day between Clonsilla and Docklands, in addition to the existing schedule. Full timetable details are available from our homepage.

Onward connection

Dublin Bus are offering a range of services to and from Docklands Station, The new 151 route and new feeder bus 93 route will be available for Docklands Station commuters.

Full details are available at the Dublin Bus website.

We look forward to welcoming you to Docklands Station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Location of station: http://www.iarnrodeireann.ie/projects/pdf/IE_Station_Map_b.pdf

Directions (try not to laugh): http://www.iarnrodeireann.ie/projects/pdf/docklands_directions.pdf

Bus services:
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/your_journey/viewer.asp?route=90 (Nearest stop to Docklands is at the junction of Mayor Street and Guild Street Serves Connolly, Tara Street and Heuston)
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/your_journey/viewer.asp?route=93 (Docklands - Tara Street only)
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/your_journey/viewer.asp?route=151 (Docklands - Tara Street - Christchurch - The Coombe - Grangecastle only)
    the 91 seems to be gone now in its place?
    The 90A and 91 went quite some time ago when the 90 and 92 were reorganised, although the 92 timetable has a note about the 91. Its possible the 91 runs as an unscheduled service.
    Apparently that will be closed more or less completely between 8 and 8.30...
    Not really, although where are the points at Clonsilla? Does a train need to reverse across the LC or does it simply pull in at the inbound platform on the way out (or return from the outbound platform)?

The level crossing closures at Clonsilla and Coolmine are less than say Sydney Parade. Also the Porterstown Road LC has been replaced by a bridge, so it isn't that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,795 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

went to have a look at the new station on friday and thought it was interesting that the entrance plaza appears to extend under Sherrif St. So residents in Spencer Dock will be able to access the station without having to climb up to the street and back down to the station. This will also make it a lot easier to transfer from the station to the Docklands Luas.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Not a smooth start to things this morning. I was the 8:00am Maynooth to Bray train heading into town and we were delayed for around 15 mins from 8:10am to 8:25 approx. Having said that, there were noticeably less people getting on at Coolmine, so initial impressions are that the new service is making a difference.

There always will be teething problems, so hopefully they will have it rectified over the coming days.

Victor wrote:
    Not really, although where are the points at Clonsilla? Does a train need to reverse across the LC or does it simply pull in at the inbound platform on the way out (or return from the outbound platform)?
    I think that the points are west of the station and therefore would not affect the LC.
    Victor wrote:
    The level crossing closures at Clonsilla and Coolmine are less than say Sydney Parade. Also the Porterstown Road LC has been replaced by a bridge, so it isn't that bad.
    Can you please explain the LC closing times document. I don't understand the figures.
    For example, should the first line be interpreted as, at 8:05 it closes for 13mins? (though that doesn't seem right). I always thought it was about 2.5-3mins closed for each train (though worse it if is heading to Clonsilla and stops in Coolmine).
    Mon-Fri	08:05	0:13	
    Mon-Fri	08:13	0:08	
    Mon-Fri	08:20	0:07	
    Mon-Fri	08:21	0:01		Express
    Mon-Fri	08:32	0:11		Both directions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭MarkoP11

There was a incident between a motorist and the gate keeper in Ashtown at about 8am, I was stuck for 23 minutes just outside Ashtown

• Advertisement

tom dunne wrote:
    Not a smooth start to things this morning. I was the 8:00am Maynooth to Bray train heading into town and we were delayed for around 15 mins from 8:10am to 8:25 approx. Having said that, there were noticeably less people getting on at Coolmine, so initial impressions are that the new service is making a difference.

There always will be teething problems, so hopefully they will have it rectified over the coming days.
    20 min delays on the line were mentioned on Newstalk. At Coolmine station there were announcements of delays because of an incident at Reilly Bridge (AFAIK that is the LC at Clonsilla). I was hoping to get the 8:48 to Docklands but a Connolly train arrived first (contrary to what the person in the ticket office told me). Maybe tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭clubcrown

daymobrew wrote:
    20 min delays on the line were mentioned on Newstalk. At Coolmine station there were announcements of delays because of an incident at Reilly Bridge (AFAIK that is the LC at Clonsilla). I was hoping to get the 8:48 to Docklands but a Connolly train arrived first (contrary to what the person in the ticket office told me). Maybe tomorrow.

On the train that was delayed for 23 mins outside ashtown, there was no electronic display working, no announcement made, and no station announcements of any type for the entire journey. We sat there not having a clue what was going on, and I only just found out from here.

You'd think the one bloody day they get some well deserved good publicity for the new station that they could get things right.

I asked an IE employee on the platform at connolly what had happened, and he said he didn't know, but, quote "Its a bit of a f**king joke isn't it?".

Grrrrrrr.

The other thing of course is that there were people at coolmine this morning having to go ask which train was for town and which was for docklands - because IE *still* haven't turned on the electronic notice boards. And there are almost never any announcements over the tannoy, about anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

You might have noticed that the two clocks on the PIS boards dont tell the same time...............

clubcrown wrote:
    The other thing of course is that there were people at coolmine this morning having to go ask which train was for town and which was for docklands - because IE *still* haven't turned on the electronic notice boards. And there are almost never any announcements over the tannoy, about anything.
    IMO today was unusual in that there were tannoy announcements on the platform in Coolmine (at 8:50).
    When a train approached the platform I looked at the displays on the front and side of the train to see that it was going to Connolly. Of course, like most people, I can't wait until the platform displays are enabled west of Drumcondra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Didn't know the DART had been running for 117 years!!!...

From http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0312/rail.html

New railway station opens in Dublin
    Monday, 12 March 2007 10:48

A new railway station opened in Dublin's Docklands this morning, the city centre's first new DART stop in 117 years.

Completed three months ahead of schedule and an estimated €4 million under budget, the Docklands Station connects the IFSC to west county Dublin stops like Castleknock, Ashtown, Coolmine, Broombridge, and Clonsilla.

The new route runs near hourly service between 7am and 7pm. Iarnród Éireann says it will serve 2,500 new commuters intially, growing to 10,000 as services expand.

The upcoming extension of the Luas Red Line to Docklands will also offer commuters with more options by connecting them to stops like Four Courts, Pearse Station and Abbey Street.

Docklands station is part of the Government's 'Transport 21' investment programme.

The last DART station to open in Dublin's city centre was Tara Street in 1890.

For more information about the new station, including maps, construction photos and directions, head to Iarnród Éireann's Docklands Development website.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

neither is Docklands a DART station (well for the moment anyway)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭strassenwolf

:D

It's probably also news to a lot of people that Pearse Station is on the LUAS red line.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭markpb

It's probably also news to a lot of people that Pearse Station is on the LUAS red line.:rolleyes:

Give them a break. At least they managed not to call it Pearse St. station :)

daymobrew wrote:
    IMO today was unusual in that there were tannoy announcements on the platform in Coolmine (at 8:50).
    When a train approached the platform I looked at the displays on the front and side of the train to see that it was going to Connolly. Of course, like most people, I can't wait until the platform displays are enabled west of Drumcondra.

I'm sure there were - not much good to us poor sods sitting between stations wondering what the delay was. This was on the 8.36 from coolmine.

Up until recently the noticeboards in coolmine had "testing - may 2006" on them every now and then :rolleyes:

clubcrown wrote:
    I'm sure there were - not much good to us poor sods sitting between stations wondering what the delay was. This was on the 8.36 from coolmine.
    As an example of the way it should be: a few years ago I was getting the tube into London from Heathrow. Within 30 secs of an unexpected stop the driver was giving us information. As we approached the reason for the delay (broken down train IIRC) he was describing what he was seeing - almost running commentary. Even better was, as we approached the next station the driver told us that switching to a different line at that station was probably the best option as his train was going to be impacted with more delays! I was very impressed.
    Obviously we don't have the 'different line' options but the lack of information given out is pathetic.
    Up until recently the noticeboards in coolmine had "testing - may 2006" on them every now and then :rolleyes:
    Maybe one of the P11 folks will know if would be possible for these displays to be manually updated so as to provide some info, especially in the case of delays.

• Advertisement

Its a fairly complex technical undertaking but it should even with the current setup be possible to have fully working boards at all stations, I assume they have a middleware setup with custom software/hardware interfaces (reusable) for each interlocking type on the system (there are 4 different types on the Maynooth Docklands run) they have worked it out for two of them but not the others. IE are holding out till the whole system is brought under a central point of control avoiding this hassle, 2009 at the earliest

At the very least they can get the following working with no software or hardware change

1. The clock
    2. The second line to scroll information such as out of service lifts or major delay information

Doable tomorrow

MarkoP11 wrote:
    Its a fairly complex technical undertaking but it should even with the current setup be possible to have fully working boards at all stations, I assume they have a middleware setup with custom software/hardware interfaces (reusable) for each interlocking type on the system (there are 4 different types on the Maynooth Docklands run) they have worked it out for two of them but not the others. IE are holding out till the whole system is brought under a central point of control avoiding this hassle, 2009 at the earliest

At the very least they can get the following working with no software or hardware change

1. The clock
    2. The second line to scroll information such as out of service lifts or major delay information

Doable tomorrow

Bloody hell.

On the day they launched a new service and opened a new station, the sum total of information available at Coolmine was a youg guy handing out leaflets, which he ran out of before 7:40am. Most people walked past him as most people are generally running to get to the train on time.

Even one poster would have helped, there are only two access / entry points to the station, everyone would have seen them. As it was, I heard several people asking each other which train was going to Docklands, etc.

I mean, its not like Coolmine isn't one of the busier stations...........and they could put up posters in connolly about the exit ticket checking weeks before it actually started.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

I know that it was publicised elsewhere, but was there advance notice of extra services at Clonsilla stations etc. in the last few weeks?

Connolly services were a bit of a mess this evening-the 6 train to Longford was delayed by 7 minutes or so (it was sitting at the platform from around 5.30) and some fella texted Newstalk complaining of more serious delays on the Maynooth service.

Have I read other posts correctly, i.e. there will be no displays operating on the Maynooth line until 2009????

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

tom dunne wrote:
    Not a smooth start to things this morning. I was the 8:00am Maynooth to Bray train heading into town and we were delayed for around 15 mins from 8:10am to 8:25 approx.
    Pfft, I blow my nose in your general direction.

I got the 7:43am from Louisa Bridge on today, the day of days. I was due to land in Pearse at 8:26am, 43 minutes later. I arrived at 8:56am, half an hour late for a 43 minute train, and a train that travels that route in 37 minutes regularly.

In fairness, the driver made two announcements that it was due to the train ahead of us being delayed "right ahead" of us.

But 8:56am is unacceptable. Thank f*ck my exam was on at 9:30am and not at 9:00am.

I was on the train in front of you, the train in front us got stuck at a level crossing, the report was there was a incident between a motorist and the gate keeper, sounds like there was a stand off between the two

Can't blame Irish Rail for it, it was a ignorant motorist not following the instructions of the gate keeper. Hopefully the motorist will get a nasty fine

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

MarkoP11 wrote:

1. The clock

Doable tomorrow

The thing is, these noticeboards have been there for nearly seven years! You'd think that would be long enough to sort out whatever technical issues they have with them. Regarding the clock, this was working when they were first installed (c.2000), along with a notice saying "Welcome to xxxx Station". This disappeared after about six months and the boards have not been used since. They are probably the most expensive ormanants ever produced for a railway station.

Incidently, I dispair every time I see Broombridge. It is probably the worst kept railway station in western Europe, never mind Ireland. Do CIE have any long term plans for it? If not, they should close it.

icdg wrote:
    Incidently, I dispair every time I see Broombridge. It is probably the worst kept railway station in western Europe, never mind Ireland. Do CIE have any long term plans for it? If not, they should close it.

The local scumbags are the problem, no point investing in it since what ever is done it will be burned, smashed or carried off. The booking office was burned out twice, the original platform paving was removed brick by brick. Unless there is a serious community effort there is no point in wasting money on it since it will get trashed

Quite a lot of people use the station, its not the least used station in Dublin. there are plans to bring the Luas to Liffey Junction which is a matter of 200m away which means here will be a rebuild and/or relocation

• Registered Users Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

The land around Broombridge station needs to be developed asap.

Looking at Broombridge now reminds of Kilbarrack station in the early 90s although in fairness Kilbarrack never looked that bad!

Redsoxfan wrote:
    Connolly services were a bit of a mess this evening-the 6 train to Longford was delayed by 7 minutes or so (it was sitting at the platform from around 5.30) and some fella texted Newstalk complaining of more serious delays on the Maynooth service.
    My friend was on the train that failed (supposed to depart Connolly at 17:47). He said that door failed to close so they were all told to get off the train. Unfortunately this had a horrible knock-on effect on the next two trains.
    I was in Drumcondra for the 18:09 (a 4 or 6 carriage that starts at Connolly). It was 4 carriages this evening and packed to the gills. A bunch of us choose to stay on the platform and wait for the next train. It was an 8 carriage set that was very full.
    MarkoP11 wrote:
    Can't blame Irish Rail for it, it was a ignorant motorist not following the instructions of the gate keeper. Hopefully the motorist will get a nasty fine
    Hopefully at least one person reported the motorist to the Gardai.

• Advertisement

daymobrew wrote:
    My friend was on the train that failed (supposed to depart Connolly at 17:47). He said that door failed to close so they were all told to get off the train. Unfortunately this had a horrible knock-on effect on the next two trains.
    I was in Drumcondra for the 18:09 (a 4 or 6 carriage that starts at Connolly). It was 4 carriages this evening and packed to the gills. A bunch of us choose to stay on the platform and wait for the next train. It was an 8 carriage set that was very full.

Hopefully at least one person reported the motorist to the Gardai.

I was on the train as well in the evening, in the front carraige - there were no announcements of any type, eventually someone went to talk to the driver and he wasn't in the cab, and the door was left open!

In fairness, with all these delays I don't blame IE if theres a technical fault, or a problem with a motorist, but they never tell us what to do, make an announcement, etc. We sat on the train in connolly for 15 mins without moving, and not one announcement. Meantime the longford train was pulling out of the other platform.

Its about the lack of information, not the trains themselves; if they had announced what was wrong yesterday then everyone could have made a choice to go to the other train, or leave the station, whatever. One announcement would have done it.

Advertisement