Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

god i wish i lived in chicago in the year 2000...

Options
  • 08-01-2007 1:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭

just reading a thread over on another forum about the smashing pumpkins last gig together in chicago.

check out this setlist...:eek:

The Metro, Chicago, 12/2/2000

Act I: Bringing Down the Sound:
    Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
    Rocket-->
    I Am One
    Rhinoceros
    Shame
    Porcelina of the Vast Ocean
    The Everlasting Gaze-->
    Bullet with Butterfly Wings
    Spiteface (Tease)
    Thru the Eyes of Ruby
    Blissed and Gone*
    To Sheila*&
    Mayonaise
    I of the Mourning

Act II:
    Muzzle^
    Stand Inside Your Love^
    Perfect^
    This Time
    Go
    The Last Song
    (Last Instrumental)
    Age of Innocence
    Thirty-Three

Act III: Let It All Come Down:
    Tonight, Tonight
    Siva
    **** You (An Ode To No One)
    Drown
    Starla
    If There Is A God
    Cash Car Star
    Rock On-->
    Heavy Metal Machine
    Today

Encore 1:
    For Martha@
    Born Under A Bad Sign@

Encore 2:
    Cherub Rock#

Encore 3:
    Disarm
    1979^

Encore 4:
    Silver****

Legend:
    *: w/ Dennis Flemion and Jimmy Flemion
    &: w/ Linda Strawberry
    ^: w/ Matt Walker
    #: w/ Rick Nielsen
    @: w/ Billy Corgan Sr.

apparently the whole thing was filmed for a keepsake and may of someday been released as a live dvd (would they get it all on one dvd lol).

just thinking since the smashing pumpkins are coming back with a new album the chances of this show ever seeing the light of day is slim at best.

i think i would of died by encore 2 tbh :D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

One of the songs from that gig is on the Greatest Hits DVD, I can't remember which one though. I'd love for it to come out on DVD (as that's more realistic than me going back in time to see it).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

It would have been something else alright. The Metro is such a small place too, probably around the same size as the Olympia (minus the upper floor).

Not a day goes by that I don't regret giving up my ticket for their last Dublin gig.

Why did you do that? :eek:

Because my sister was the one who got me "into" the Pumpkins (and music in general), but she hadn't got a ticket. So I did the gentlemanly thing.

I had seen them in Wembley Arena the week before though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

John wrote:
    One of the songs from that gig is on the Greatest Hits DVD, I can't remember which one though. I'd love for it to come out on DVD (as that's more realistic than me going back in time to see it).

I think it was **** You. Could be wrong though.

Would be a damn fine DVD I must say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭-Freebird-

Jays, they god plenty of songs in there didn't they... But, um neither Ava Adore or Eye was played?

PiE wrote:
    Because my sister was the one who got me "into" the Pumpkins (and music in general), but she hadn't got a ticket. So I did the gentlemanly thing.

I had seen them in Wembley Arena the week before though :)

Oh well so it all worked out in the end. GG.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,228 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Wow, oh how I wish I was old enough to see them back in the day now. I would quite literally not be able to stand by the end of that(probably long before that even). Only thing wrong with it for me is that no Zero in there, apart from that its just phenomonal set. That'd be amazing to be released on DVD, hours of enjoyment for everyone.

http://www.smashingpumpkins.com/message.html

Nice little message from Billy, taken from the official bandpage. All I can say is Wooo F'in HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

what bootlegs do you have, bought some fantastics tapes years back, and some cds and now mp3 and the video of the german show, naked man we salute you etc

Please don't discuss bootlegs on the forum or link to illegal downloads, cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Secretpint

Originally Posted by John

it was indeed An ode to no one...billy really black metals it up, very cool...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭selpher

You can see 1979 from that very show here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_djQmPk_Uo.
    Funniest thing at that gig was when the band walked on stage to mellon collie, some one forgot to switch the cd off, cause when they started playing rocket, tonite started playin in the background. They had to start again lol.

Mushy wrote:
    Bah. I was hoping he'd gotten over that religious blip. Expectations for the new album reach an all-time low.

Bah. I was hoping he'd gotten over that religious blip. Expectations for the new album reach an all-time low

I dont care about the whole religious thing, just note that WORLD TOUR bit. Its the old songs I want to hear live

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

Secretpint wrote:
    it was indeed An ode to no one...billy really black metals it up, very cool...

The bit at the start where Billy looks over at Jimmy as they both lock in time is great, Jimmy does a kind of 'man we're so damn good!' kinda smirk back.

Saw that message from Billy a few days back. A lot of people are interpreting the 'moving on from old faces' comment as indicating James & D'arcy won't be in the band. Pity Billy is talking such gibberish, but at least he's happy I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

What about Zero???

On the new tour is Billy still gonna sing Pumpkins songs with anti religious sentiments?(eg. "God is empty")

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭pig on the wing

i was 9 when the last metro show took place...but i saw the 1979 snippet on the full circle documentary. now they're my favourite band. (of course, not solely becuase of that performance)
    anyways, the new album is probably going to be the first and only cd i'll buy within 6 months of its release...all the cd's i buy are more than half a year old when i buy them. i'm definetely going to their gig when they tour ireland. hopefully it won't be sold out or over 18s.

also, what do you fellow avid pumpkins fans think of this:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=CVaKOaEttl4
    it's the panic at the disco cover of tonight tonight. being a massive pumpkins fan, as well as a massive patd hater, i think, surprisingly, they didn't ruin it. maybe it's because, save for the vocals, they recreated the song completely.

one more thing, this is what i found on their myspace concerning the reunion. they're not revealing much...
    Q. Who's in the band?
    A. Not telling.

Q. When is the album coming out?
    A. Soon.

Q. What does it sound like?
    A. The Smashing Pumpkins.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

how did they recreate the song, it sounds like a carbon copy to me?

or have i gone deaf?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Vocals are terrible, and the drums in a lot of it are far too harsh.

• Advertisement

That's a dreadful cover, I only got as far as "Time is never time at all..." and had to stop it.

alright, fine, it was a crap cover. we all agree, now let's go back to praising sp.

Cremo wrote:
    how did they recreate the song, it sounds like a carbon copy to me?

or have i gone deaf?

At the start of the vocals, he's using the hats instead of the rim on the snare anyway.

That just adds to the list of people who shouldnt try and do another persons unique vocals. First Avril Lavigne doing James Hetfield...now that!

But anyway, yeah, the Metro in 2000...I just wanna see this band in a big way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

I had Mellon Collie a long time, but was just starting to buy all the old albums when they split. Looking forward to seeing them live as I never have before. I remember I was studying for the leaving when they played the Olympia in 1998 (maybe it was 99), and I went on holidays with the folks down Wexford somewhere, ended up listening to the gig live on 2fm, very enjoyable it was too. :)

Fall Out Boy doing Joy Division and Panic doing Pumpkins... man I love these scrappy new upstarts. :D

I been wondering what kind of setlists the reunited Pumpkins will do. All the hits plus some stuff from the new album? Or just a complete random selection of songs?

I'd be very satisfied with tracks from the Siamese Dream-era plus a nice peppering of cult classics.

I'd be happy with anything they played except maybe Eye or Ava Adore. The Everlasting Gaze would be sweet. Some new stuff obviously, then the cult classics Id say.

Hey, I wont complain

I hope the new album is good enough to keep the playing of old songs to a minimum on the tour. But that's probably not possible, so I'll be happy as long as Machina/Machina II songs are few and far between.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

I was at their last gig at olympia it was okay,, tis sit down and I was up in the circus had some guest keyboard player doing a lot of stuff :/

never saw them otherwise in proper rocking out gig

what was the best non pumpkins pumpkins album?

would have loved to see corgan playing with new order.

probably jimmy chamberlin's "life begins again", or zwan. yeah, zwan def.
    both the james iha and the billy corgan solo albums suck.

• Advertisement

I'm probably one of the only ones who really liked Corgan's solo album and thought it was very promising. In fact, I'd be quite content if he continued on with a solo career versus Pumpkins Ver. 2.

Advertisement