Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart going belly up?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,557 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

shayser wrote:
    Phone's are affected now.

Was chatting to an Eircom employee who says business broadband will be cut off this week.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/1002/smart.html

According to RTÉ, eircom have cut off CPS customers from outgoing calls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭inode

i hope broadband doesnt go. its all i can get!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,144 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

My outgoing calls have not been affected at all.
    I am not a customer of Eircom for line rental.
    Not all Smart customers are affected by this - at least not so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

What's a "CPS" customer? I seem to be able to still make calls no problem.

(Eircom are such a shower of *****, they've had it in for Smart right from the beginning)

According to RTÉ, eircom have cut off CPS customers from outgoing calls.
    It's a tad misleading for RTE to say they can only make 999 callls though as I'm sure if they have a landline,they can still make calls by putting 13666 before the number.
    That routes the calls so that you get a bill from Eircom :D

• Advertisement

art wrote:
    What's a "CPS" customer?

(Eircom are such a shower of *****, they've had it in for Smart right from the beginning)
    Thats where your calls are automatically routed by Eircom through another provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

While there is no doubt that Eircom are culpable in Smarts demise I think Comreg also share some of the responsibility for not doing the job they were set up to do and indeed for being a useless shower of wa!kers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,557 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

While there is no doubt that Eircom are culpable in Smarts demise I think Comreg also share some of the responsibility for not doing the job they were set up to do and indeed for being a useless shower of wa!kers.

Eircom coulds not cut them off, if they were paying their bills..

That's a fair point really, the whole thing about Eircom not allowing the transfer of phone numbers to Smart was ridiculous. ComReg should have been throwing some weight around right from the beginning. If Smart do go down out of this, it is the consumers that lose ultimately.

Ironic that Smart topped the table for best Broadband service provider and then, shortly after, Eircom send the boys around to cut them off?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,144 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

And maybe if Eircom hadn't stymied customers who wanted to move to Smart at every possible hurdle, they would have been in a position to pay the bills.

Whatever the reasons, the possible loss of a competitor to the expensive monolith is to be regretted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

whatever about phone/pstn services, as long as smart can still provide broadband via LLU to me, im happy, cause i'm more than delighted to continue using VoIP via blueface lol.

It would appear that the problem tonight affects those using only Smarts Voice service using Single Billing System.
    If They use standard CPS and pay eircom the line rental, they are fine, and if they are getting broadband from Smart they should also be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I think smart need a certain number of people signed up to make thier business plans vaible but with the lack of local loop unbundling and eircom dragging thier heels at various exchanges it fell apart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

About two months ago i was looking for a new job in sales. I was lucky enough to have a number of companies asking me to work for them, out of all of them Smart offered me a huge salary plus fantastic commission and bonus, car, phone free broadband and begged me to come work for them.... am i glad i didn't now I'd be out of a job and have turned down othe good opportunities. It really seems to be a shock for the company itself

Just checked and I can defintiely make out going calls on my Smart line but just discovered that I can't get incoming calls at all - the message on my mobile says "Network Busy" when I try ringing home?

Onkle51 wrote:
    About two months ago i was looking for a new job in sales. I was lucky enough to have a number of companies asking me to work for them, out of all of them Smart offered me a huge salary plus fantastic commission and bonus, car, phone free broadband and begged me to come work for them.... am i glad i didn't now I'd be out of a job and have turned down othe good opportunities. It really seems to be a shock for the company itself
    To be fair, nothing has actually happened yet, has it? I think this is playing right into the hands of Eircom, people simply writing Smart off like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

art wrote:
    To be fair, nothing has actually happened yet, has it? I think this is playing right into the hands of Eircom, people simply writing Smart off like this.

The entire sales team was made redundant about two weeks ago afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

AFAIK: No incomming calls on some LLU customers and all non-LLU customers cut off.

I expect Eircom will disable something else if the rental on the LLUed lines is unpaid. All those LLUed lines of Smart BB belong to Eircom.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

art wrote:
    Just checked and I can defintiely make out going calls on my Smart line but just discovered that I can't get incoming calls at all - the message on my mobile says "Network Busy" when I try ringing home?
    Yeah, just noticed that a short time ago also. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Legion

art wrote:

Aye,same here..BB stilll on.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

this is where having chorus broadband ( first 3 months free, fingers crossed that it improves soon lol ) is handy, just in case smart broadband is under threat.

However should the Chorus service remain woeful, we can attempt to declare the contract null due to the false claim of it being suitable for online gaming ( this would suggest a stable and reliable ping, which hasnt been the case since we got the line ).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

art wrote:

I am the same on the €35 package. The broadband is still working.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I wonder how long before the DSL dies too?

I don't fancy the hassle of trying to find another provider (and also I'd need to go back to Eircom presumably for 6 months again, before switching again to BT or Digiweb).

If only Digiweb Metro was in Letterkenny... :) Not sure how reliable IBB is here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

eircom are attampting to "Winback" 47000 Smart customer overnight (the CPS or CPS + WLR ones) because Smart had done a deal with BT to migrate them all as a package .

Its not personal against smart who were selling these customers off anyway and keeping the LLU customers.

It is personal against BT , eircom don't want them mto get these customer overnight :( and your service will be restored tomorrow .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Vadrefjorde

I spoke to sales last week who were happy to take my order. Some serious questions should be asked about Comregs role all along in this fiasco...:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

byte wrote:
    I don't fancy the hassle of trying to find another provider (and also I'd need to go back to Eircom presumably for 6 months again, before switching again to BT or Digiweb).
    You don't need to go back to eircom for 6 months.

In the event that your LLU was cancelled (and right now I don't have any reason to believe that that's going to happen), you could have an eircom line for phoen services the following morning, and sign up for DSL service with whoever you wanted as soon as you get your eircom account number. Eircom says they'll e-mail you your pone number and account number within 24 hours of connecting your phone line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 718 ✭✭✭thirdmantackle

I hate to say it, but I posted a message here about Smart going belly up this time last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Really it should be an indication that the Government needs to look at serious reform of Comreg as effectively it's utterly failed and seen an alternative telco crash and burn, and possibly splitting eircom in half.

eircom may have just catapolted this issue into the middle of a very rapidly pending general election. 47,000 angry ex Smart customers won't be ignored by any party.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Rumour has it it will be bnought by enet ! (or the consortium behind it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Foxwood wrote:
    You don't need to go back to eircom for 6 months.

In the event that your LLU was cancelled (and right now I don't have any reason to believe that that's going to happen), you could have an eircom line for phoen services the following morning, and sign up for DSL service with whoever you wanted as soon as you get your eircom account number. Eircom says they'll e-mail you your pone number and account number within 24 hours of connecting your phone line.

No way, it takes eircom one day take remove the LLU service but 6 weeks to do the opposite? Who would have thought.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

It looks to me that Eircom have used Smart's current situation to their own needs. NTL has been so bad lately I was strongly considering moving to Smart. Now I'm not so sure. Congratulation Eircon.... :mad:

Advertisement