Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Theoretical Physics College Course, CTYI

Options
  • 11-09-2006 4:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭

This is the first time I've ever posted on this section of boards, solely out of uncertainty over whether or not I should do TP in Tcd. The problem is that I know it's very maths-based and even though I'm quite good at maths several people who I know dropped out of the course after the first year because it was too difficult and these people have done stuff like the Maths Olympiad. This is the main thing I'm interested in doing in college but I'm apprehensive about the difficulty of it. Could anyone doing the course give me any guidance on whether I should still go for it bearing all of that in mind?

Comments

Welcome to the TCD Boards! As an ex-TP-er myself (I left after 3 months), I can only give a limited view on the course so I will leave it to others.

Have a look at some of the other threads debating the course and its merits: 1, 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

At the risk of sounding like a stalker weirdo, didn't you do Theoretical Physics in CTYI? [Seriously, I can explain. I work there, so I read the CTYI board a lot and saw you posted there about the evaluations].

How did you find the course there? Because that would usually be a pretty good overview of first year of TP in college. Maybe you could get in touch with David or Matt (Instructor and Teaching Assistant) cos I think they both did it in Trinity, and talk to them about how they found it to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Actually David did a pure maths degree, iirc. Matt, from a passing conversation with his sister, did TP alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

well there was a david in maths and a matt in tp this year anyway(the one graduating in nov..)...but then those arn't the most uncommon names ever :)

Anyway, the maths done in uni is very different to that taught in 2nd level so i wouldn't be put off by not being in an maths olympiad (god knows i wasn't, heck i got like 50% in maths exams in 5th year... ;) ) , though i've just finished the pure maths degree. I was in tp like myth tho i left because i hated the physics labs...

the only way your going to know if you can manage it i'm afraid is by trying it, you could always sit in a few of the lectures the first years have this year, that didn't seem to put Sev off(he's still doing tp, another boardsie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

stargal wrote:
    At the risk of sounding like a stalker weirdo, didn't you do Theoretical Physics in CTYI? [Seriously, I can explain. I work there, so I read the CTYI board a lot and saw you posted there about the evaluations].

How did you find the course there? Because that would usually be a pretty good overview of first year of TP in college. Maybe you could get in touch with David or Matt (Instructor and Teaching Assistant) cos I think they both did it in Trinity, and talk to them about how they found it to be?

Well, yeah, that was me! Clíodhna's the name, but I didn't want to mention the CTYI connection at the risk of being labelled a smartass smart-kid, but anyway. Who is this Stargal who knows me so vaguely?

I really liked the course, but honestly found it quite difficult to pay attention, mainly because I've a wandering brain or some other half-assed excuse. I really enjoyed discussing the concepts, but I'd be lying if I said that I'd a clue half the time about what they were saying regarding the maths. I think that Dave and Matt said something to the effect that if I immersed myself for the first year I'd be ok and that my enthusiasm would pay off, but I'd like to get some information from people who did the course and how they found it.

• Advertisement

Pff, TP was waaay better when I ta'ed it :) probably less educational of course, but still waaay better :P

NO! Matt Dolan ftw!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

NO! Matt Dolan ftw!
    Aye that chap is one smart cookie. And surprisingly normal for it.

I was chattin to him recently enough, he moaned a little about those classes too. "In the end the talk or questions always seem to boil down to black-holes... I'M SICK OF BLACK-HOLES!"

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭fitzgese

I've just finished first year of TP myself, and my experience was that the Maths is a lot different from secondary school, but manageable if you keep up with the course. The course does get a few people who drop out, but usually because of the workload, it's very intense and if you do everything you're supposed to, you have very little time for anything else, and a lot of people switch to maths or leave because of this. The physics isn't that good in first year as well, it's mainly just everything on the Leaving Cert and a little more (except Special Relativity-that's a really good course), but the maths is quite interesting. You have to really want to do TP though, because the high workload will put you off otherwise, but if you really love physics and maths, then it is the right couse to choose.

ApeXaviour wrote:
    that he is, off to cambridge soon now iirc

and the workload in TP isn't that extreem, engineers have more hours than them. and most of the physics as you've said is covered by the lc. Its a step up in difficulty but then so is everything in college....

• Advertisement

ApeXaviour wrote:

I was chattin to him recently enough, he moaned a little about those classes too. "In the end the talk or questions always seem to boil down to black-holes... I'M SICK OF BLACK-HOLES!"

Aaaw, I thought he really loved us. Matt is the super-awesomest person ever. He's just finished a BA in TP in Trinity I think and he's going to Cambridge next I think. Dave on the other hand just finished his PHD in Cambridge, I think. But I don't think we could have had better instructors, they worked just so well together, they were wonderful. I'm not trying to rub it in your face btw, I'm just saying.......

lol is it me or does it seem as if someone has a crush on matt?

Every girl in my course did. I think. I certainly did.......... And Dave also........ They were both really great guys.......... *sighs dreamily*

(I think this is just becoming a Matt Dolan and Dave Conlon appreciation thread.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

and the workload in TP isn't that extreem, engineers have
    more hours than them.

what are the hours for 1st year. i'm starting in a few weeks and was just wondering. kind of worried about that "you won't have time for much else" comment someone else made further up the thread. I love maths and physics but do want to be able to do other things in college as well.

This'll be changing a bit for your year, but it should be broadly similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

that's much easier than i thought, i was under the impression that it was around 30 to 35 hours between lectures and tutorials and then labs on top of that for maybe 5 hours. that's brilliant. i know there'll be work outside lectures but this is still a lot better then i thought

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

Be prepared to be completley baffeled by the maths.
    I was in TP up until Christmas and found the maths very difficult to grasp. As time goes on, It slowly starts to sink in but there is really no similarity between 3rd level and 2nd level....at all.
    Unfortunately, it's very difficult to understand this until you do it. I was told countless times that the maths was very,very different (and hard).
    The physics is probably easier to handle as it's a repeat of Leaving Cert with a bit more detail.
    If it's what you're interested in,and you're willing to spend time at it, go for it. It's rewarding, especially when you get your head around something for the first time, and when things start to fall into place.

If worst comes to worse, and you don't like it after a few months , you can change (up until early january) to anything you like as long as you have the points and there's space. I was in my third course by than, only changing finally a few days before the deadline.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

TimAy wrote:
    The physics is probably easier to handle as it's a repeat of Leaving Cert with a bit more detail.
    In first year yes, they step up the pace a little in 2nd and then go absolutley fucking mental in 3rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

This is hilarious, I'm so showing this thread to Dave, he'll love it!

Acid_Violet - I've worked in CTYI for the past few summers now as RA, TA, mini-talenteds and general office stuff in CG01. Bit like Neil with the whole -never-leaving-the-place I guess ;)

Anyway, enough CTYI talk cos it will sound strange to anyone reading this thread who doesn't know what it is or who Matt and Dave are :D

stargal wrote:
    This is hilarious, I'm so showing this thread to Dave, he'll love it!
    Yes i think i'll make sure matt/rest of class see this ;)

• Advertisement

yeah in fairness, this is getting sent straight to Dave :)

edit: done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

Meh. Its all pretty easy to follow, if a little on the sttalker side.:p

Why bother exactly sending this thread to Matt and Dave?

Person who worked in CTYI who's screen-name I forget; can you tell me your name, I might know you from being in CTYI for the past six years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭ZWEI_VIER_ZWEI

Why is it that every second member on the TCD boards seems to be a member of the CTYI mafia like? Not that I'm bitching or anything..but there's like loads of you guys...

It's a conspiracy. Really.

It's just because my question is rather CTYI related, or has become so because TP is Ctyi related, or it's all Matt and Dave's fault...........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

Nah its a conspiracy. CTYIers will rule the world, or work for the people who rule the world, or waste their talent and drink or you..i lost track..hmm...shiny things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭ZWEI_VIER_ZWEI

It's just because my question is rather CTYI related, or has become so because TP is Ctyi related, or it's all Matt and Dave's fault...........

No..it seems all the really active posters on the TCD forum are CTYI scummers...except me, and I'm rebelicious...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Richard W

I did TP til about Ferbruary, then changed into maths cause I hadn't done any of my lab reports, and really wasn't that arsed doing them. The maths isn't that bad. You have to really involve yerself in it.

Bear in mind, when you hear a lot of horror stories from our year it's cause we had this one lecturer who was supposed to be doing a course that was explaining algebra and analysis, but it just didn't. He kinda taught his own stuff. It was good though. Crazy bastard.

Algebra: Loads of matrixy stuff
    Analysis: Properties of functions
    Methods: Crazy mix of logic, and set theory sorta stuff
    Mechanics: Applied maths, but with more calculus. It's a laugh and a half
    Computing: Eh, well programming and basic properties of how memory is stored in a computer etc. Don't need to do much for that. Easy enough to pass.

I'd say the hardest of those ones was probably mechanics. It just involved difficult problems. Methods had a different kind of hardness to it. You had to visualise what was going on a lot, and that was difficult at times if you couldn't picture it.

Timetable for Trinity term last year.

Where 111 is algebra 121 is analysis 131 methods 141 mechanics and 161 computing. You also had like, 4 hours of physics lectures and 3 hours of labs. So yeah the week is packed enough.

Oh also, I was thinking about leaving my course for a while, but that's cause at the start I wasn't working. You'll only like this if you work at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

No..it seems all the really active posters on the TCD forum are CTYI scummers...except me, and I'm rebelicious...

Hey! I'm here almost daily and I was never a CTYI-head. (I spent my summers someplace that wasn't school!)

Advertisement