Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Facilities

Options
  • 26-07-2006 3:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭

What are the sports facilities in TCD like?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

Pretty ****.

In Santry, about 5km from main Campus there are some rugby, hockey and GAA pitches. In Islandbridge there is a boat house and a river for rowing in. In the corner of campus there is a gym with a basketball court sized main gym area, 5 squash courts and a "small by university standards" weights and fitness room. There's about 3/4 free weight stand things, about 10 other machines for weights, maybe 10 thread mills,bikes, stuff like that. Main campus also has a Rugby pitch and a running track/cricket crease.

In May 2007 a new "state of the art" training facility is due to open. It should be pretty bad ass as long as they don';t **** it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

In May 2006 a new "state of the art" training facility is due to open.

"was due to open", surely? is it not open yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

lol it was due in may? don't look anyway near done...

also this new "state of the art" facility last i heard is still leagues behind ucd or dcu no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭alantc

What's the gym like in Trinity?

Is there a free weight barbell? In DCU all we had was a smith machine, some free weight dumbells and some weight machines. Is there a squat rack?

Are there any clubs that you get free gym access by joining?

Sorry duely corrected.

Well, to be honest, it's just as good if not better. But for something that we're building from scratch it should possibly be a little better. It's got a real nice high climbing wall that will look out onto pearse street so you shuld be able to see a lot of ass.

It's got a basketball court with a retractable bleachers.

It will have a swimming pool and sauna/steam rooms (25m afaik). It will do the job, hopefully it won't be a rip off. The squash courts will stay where they are an the "exercise area" looks like it will go to boxing and they'll stick a ring in there.

• Advertisement

alantc wrote:
    What's the gym like in Trinity?

Is there a free weight barbell? In DCU all we had was a smith machine, some free weight dumbells and some weight machines. Is there a squat rack?

Are there any clubs that you get free gym access by joining?

Have a look at this. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054967194

Yes there are free weight barbells. Yes there are 2 squat racks. No clubs to get free gym access but the gym is very cheap. 1 euro per visit or 50 euro per term or something.

how much of that is still there? i've seen 3 different lists of stuff the gym should have. Will we have tv's on the treadmills like ucd?(granted ucd is pricy enough to join even as a student, but running in a gym is boring...)

how much of that is still there? i've seen 3 different lists of stuff the gym should have. Will we have tv's on the treadmills like ucd?(granted ucd is pricy enough to join even as a student, but running in a gym is boring...)

everything that i've said is there, is there.

Dunno about the TVs sounds like something trinity would do though.

i wouldn't be too sure, can't imagine its cheap to buy or to maintain, yet another thing that can break. but cool sounds nicer than i was expecting. Though will it still be overcrowded?

I've no idea how many people are going to use it and at what times.

They're prepared to let "outsiders" use it, but proably only at the weekends and/or after 6pm.

An interesting idea they have is an entrance fee. So even if you're entering the gym to play basketball with the DU Basketball team you'll have to pay! Which I think is nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

An interesting idea they have is an entrance fee. So even if you're entering the gym to play basketball with the DU Basketball team you'll have to pay! Which I think is nonsense.

If that's true it's ridiculous and should be seriously and properly challenged by the SU and DUCAC.

Yep I agree. Ok, if it's a euro charge pre entry, or you have to pay 180 or something like that just to enter the gym, it seems rather harsh. One would need good strong proof that it's absolutelty nessecary.

Andrew, would you prefer having higher gym charges if it meant no "outsiders" can use the gym?

Another interesting issue would be if people outside of tirnity could use the gym would they be able to train with some of the clubs? I think certain clubs would find this beneficial.

still be overcrowded?

Interesting point you make. Is the current gym overcrowded? What are the peak times? Do you use them at these peak times? Do you find a small group of people hog equipment? Or are you expecting to see an empty gym so you can skip from one area to another and not expect to have to share?

who are you nothingcompares? post in the who's who.

i stopped going to the tcd gym like 2 years ago due to the horrible overcrowding, but that was before they charged for entry so it might be quiet now for all i know........

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

who are you nothingcompares? post in the who's who.

I can't believe you had to ask that, you're getting rusty!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

neitzschean: i'll give you a guess: his name begins with K, and ends in ev.

i just don't read this often enough anymore......awell, nice work on the Who's Who kev lol :)

Any confirmation on HPC next year ian or you getting a job?

won't get conformation for another few weeks, but it should be ok anyway....jobs are for suckers :) how you set for final yr?

fine fine, i've a lot of reading to do before I go back. Can't wait though.

• Advertisement

geez eager for final year? the project? or just eager to be finished?

Start the project, doing one on conservation (irish bumble bees).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Bartron Prime

Odd. Then again, I'm doing a dissertation the exciting world of the Russian peasant in the late nineteenth century. Kasha and serfdom for all!

Were all people in the olden days either really rich or really poor? is middleclassdom a 21st century thing?

That depends on your definition of "middle-classdom" and really rich or really poor. But, within the context of today's definition, Europe was generally more sharply polarised both socially and economically thejn it is today (though evidence suggests that is happening again). I can't really tell you an awful lot, sorry. I'm not an economic historian and my focus is Russia. Now THAT was a sharply divided society. Until 1861, the peasants actually legally belonged to the nobility!

If i was a russian Czar (tzar/tsar?) I'd be firm but fair to my peasants. I would love thme, for they would be my children, but if they were to cross me, I would be merciless. They would respect me, some would love me, but they would all fear me. I'd make a show of being friendly to their children and generous to the old. If i found some beautiful peasant girls I'd invite them to dine with my at my palace/mansion/tzarbuilding and I would listen to them, put them at ease, then put them to bed. Later, I would find them a job as a cleaner or cook in my czarville and I would call at them at my leisure to pillow with me. The trick would be to make everyone single one feel both loved and needed but dispensible. i would be stabbed to death in my sleep at age 51.

Amazingly, that was actually the idealised social contract between the Tsar and his people. The three fundamental principles underpinning Tsarist rule were "Autocracy, Orthodoxy and Nationalism". The Tsar was known by the peasants as the "Father Of All The Russias". He was supposed to be their protector (as a divine king) and was supposed to be in tune with their needs. Nobles did possess the right to choose a serf-girl to 'pillow' with them. Tsar Nicholas II took his role as protector of his "Little Children" very seriously. Following the abortive 1905 Revolution he embarked on a tour of his Empire to see his people and assure them he felt for them. He was shot dead at age 50.

Oh my god. My past life just flashed before my eyes.

Indeed. Now all we have to do is prove you have Imperial blood in you, restore a constitutional monarchy to Russia which will instantly solve all their problems (read the Frederick Forsyth book 'Icon') and then give me a highly cushy job. Or make me Prime Minister For Life or Education Minister For Life. Either way, Vodka for all!

• Advertisement

Think of all the oil that would have been mine. Acres and acres of oil fields. Think of all those politicians I would have assinated/corrupted.

Advertisement