Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE News' resident 12 year old news reader...

Options
  • 27-06-2006 1:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

i cannot believe Aine Gallagher is still employed by rte to read the news. she is terrible.

for anyone who doesn't know who i'm talking about, shes the young patronising girl that gets to read the section of the news where its just a voice over over the footage, usually in the "news from around the country" part of the show. its mostly on News 2, on RTE2 at around 11pm.

the first time i heard her i thought they'd let a transition year student loose in the studios. but shes still there reading the news like a 12 year old reading a bed time story to a 5 year old every freakin night.

theres thousands of people in this country who could do that job way better than she can.

i noticed the RTE news website has barely any information on her and her sections are not available to download. http://apollo.rte.ie/search.jsp?SortDate=false&query=aine+gallagher&Submit=GO

its my greatest fear that one day, i or a member of my family might be involved in an inccident which will be reported to the nation by Gallagher in her stupid patronising story-telling tone of voice.

it was funny at first, but its gone beyond a joke. please tell me someone else has noticed this girls terrible news reading?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Peteer

hopefault wrote:

i noticed the RTE news website has barely any information on her and her sections are not available to download. http://apollo.rte.ie/search.jsp?SortDate=false&query=aine+gallagher&Submit=GO
    There are some listed in there search, Try here
    Is this her? Real Player Link to report! If it is I hear what you are saying about the story telling.

Another here: Commenting on the new TV station "Chanel 6"

Cheers,
    Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

hopefault wrote:
    i cannot believe Aine Gallagher is still employed by rte to read the news. she is terrible.

for anyone who doesn't know who i'm talking about, shes the young patronising girl that gets to read the section of the news where its just a voice over over the footage, usually in the "news from around the country" part of the show. its mostly on News 2, on RTE2 at around 11pm.

the first time i heard her i thought they'd let a transition year student loose in the studios. but shes still there reading the news like a 12 year old reading a bed time story to a 5 year old every freakin night.

theres thousands of people in this country who could do that job way better than she can.

its my greatest fear that one day, i or a member of my family might be involved in an inccident which will be reported to the nation by Gallagher in her stupid patronising story-telling tone of voice.

it was funny at first, but its gone beyond a joke. please tell me someone else has noticed this girls terrible news reading?

A cynic would say that the fact that her father was very senior in RTE a few years ago helped Aine get (and more incredibly keep) her job.

Of course, I for one believe that our national broadcaster is above such things as nepotism :rolleyes: !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 hopefault

A cynic would say that the fact that her father was very senior in RTE a few years ago helped Aine get (and more incredibly keep) her job.

Of course, I for one believe that our national broadcaster is above such things as nepotism :rolleyes: !!!

well i for one am writing a complaint letter. i doubt anyone else will bother, but i actually find it insulting that they think its acceptable to have her on the air.

i know they have some equality and diversity policy, what with employing people with strong cork accents to do the continuity announcements and all, but does it really stretch so far as to employing someone who speaks like a child to read us the news?

write to complaints@rte.ie , newsonline@rte.ie ...if anyones with me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

hopefault wrote:
    well i for one am writing a complaint letter. i doubt anyone else will bother, but i actually find it insulting that they think its acceptable to have her on the air.

i know they have some equality and diversity policy, what with employing people with strong cork accents to do the continuity announcements and all, but does it really stretch so far as to employing someone who speaks like a child to read us the news?

write to complaints@rte.ie , newsonline@rte.ie ...if anyones with me

I hear what you're saying about her voice however writing a complaint letter about is surely over the top, after all I'm sure with a little imagination you can source your news elsewhere thereby avoiding her.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

hopefault wrote:

Like you?

• Advertisement

stevejazzx wrote:
    I hear what you're saying about her voice however writing a complaint letter about is surely over the top, after all I'm sure with a little imagination you can source your news elsewhere thereby avoiding her.

I can see his point Steve, I mean we're paying her wages via the licence fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭jayo99

OMG.. she's TERRIBLE !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

This is our state broadcaster so, in fairness, we should endeavour to be positive and helpful.

I suggest that RTE should issue a weekly news bulletin entitled "Recent Nepotistic Appointments", to be read by Aine Gallagher.

stevejazzx wrote:

nah, i actually only have rte, tv3 and tg4. and i'm not about to start watching tv3 news.

rte news is usually pretty good, i mean, as far as tv news broadcasting in ireland, no one else is any better.. right?

aine gallagher is the only stand out terrible thing about rte news, and it really hurts their professionalism to have someone like that on the air.

damien.m wrote:
    Like you?

haha, no way. i'm perfectly happy with my current profession. i'm thinking of friends who've studied drama etc

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

hopefault wrote:
    haha, no way. i'm perfectly happy with my current profession. i'm thinking of friends who've studied drama etc

A drama student reading the news? Good God.

hopefault wrote:
    nah, i actually only have rte, tv3 and tg4. and i'm not about to start watching tv3 news.

I hope you watch the TG4 weather though....always a warm front on their weather report !

flogen wrote:
    A drama student reading the news? Good God.

well, u know what i mean, people with experiance public speaking and things. i don't know what Aine Gallagher studied in college (or if she even went?), maybe she did politics or something, but i can't imagine her taking part in any debates or speaking about any serious issues. can you imagine?? : "once upon a time there was a big big war in far away land called iraq... "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Oh dear, that was pretty bad (the channel 6 example)...

This thread is hardly high-brow and I don't expect any level of class in the comments about this or other media presenters etc.; I have deleted one post because it was personal abuse however and while it's a thin line I expect everyone to respect it; I trust you all have the intelligence to tell the difference too.

If you're going to say something about someone's ability in their professional capacity, fine; there's no need to reference something about the person themselves though (especially when it has no bearing on their ability to work)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

haha she is very bad to be fair to the OP

Moderator, a question for you: would you delete a post about David Beckham if it contained an abusive comment about his haircut...?

flogen wrote:
    This thread is hardly high-brow and I don't expect any level of class in the comments about this or other media presenters etc.; I have deleted one post because it was personal abuse however and while it's a thin line I expect everyone to respect it; I trust you all have the intelligence to tell the difference too.

If you're going to say something about someone's ability in their professional capacity, fine; there's no need to reference something about the person themselves though (especially when it has no bearing on their ability to work)

Moderator, a question for you: would you delete a post about David Beckham if it contained an abusive comment about his haircut...?

In this forum, most certainly.

I see.
    flogen wrote:
    In this forum, most certainly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Telefís

hopefault I could not agree more about Aine - she is a utterly appalling and an embarrassment to Irish broadcasting. Howver she is by no means alone - her other equivalents in RTÉ News include the woefully childish Niamh Nolan, and the cringe-inducing Samantha Libreri - they are disgraceful. They sound like they're doing readings at their First Communion - how anybody could hire these people on any objective basis simply beggars belief.
    And to add to Aine's self-explanitory situation, Libreri won a media award in her final year in UCD - incidently for a newspaper - not broadcast. That's how she got in. This is RTÉ's biggest problem - they hire print journalists with no experience of broadcast, or who are otherwise usless in broadcast regardless of experience such as Fergal Bowers, another horrendous reporter in the presentation stakes.

Here's one of Libreri's bedtime stories: her use of 'noos' merely adds insult to injury. This isn't even her worst stuff - you should see her delivering to camera! Scroll to about 20 sec in:

http://dynamic.rte.ie/av/2152409.smil

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭santosubito

But hold on, surely it's up to RTE to train these people before putting them in front of a camera.

I don't know the first thing about broadcasting, but I know Niamh and she is a fine reporter.

David Murphy, as another example, is an excellent business hack, but he's no good on air.

I wonder do they get ANY training beforehand?

Has anyone else noticed the amount of RTE reporters who just stand still while doing their piece to camera? Just compare them to the BBC heads, whose style is much more enganging.

The only one I can see who delivers things well on RTE is Barry Cummins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Telef&#237 wrote: »
    Here's one of Libreri's bedtime stories: her use of 'noos' merely adds insult to injury. This isn't even her worst stuff - you should see her delivering to camera! Scroll to about 20 sec in:

http://dynamic.rte.ie/av/2152409.smil

ah there not much wrong with that, she rushes it a bit but the tone is right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Telefís

As mentioned, that's one of her better ones (though I still think it's bad).
    She has the most appalling annunciation and diction, saying - every - single - word - seperately - and - roundly - to - its - fullest. Not the slightest inclination towards conversation or any form of natural deliverance; just like Gallagher and Nolan she speaks as if she has her index finger running along under each word like a six year old, her only advantage being a more mature voice to the others. And as for her deliverances to camera! - a gabby, mouthy, shouty, over-earnest version of a V/O - if that's possible! :eek:
    Truly terrible.

Agreed about training though santosubito - they clearly get nothing. Then again, if you don't have a natural broadcast persona, you simply shouldn't be there - end of. Charlie Bird included.

Equally they get no decent editing training, hence the applling standard of RTÉ News reports. TV3 are miles ahead, in spite of their trashy content - lightyears away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Each-word-sounds-like,......she-is-GIVING-a,.........command-to-a-badly-trained-PONY!

b

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭Metacortex

When i first read this thread i had no idea who this Aine was that you all were talking about.

No more.

I have the Network 2 news on in the background at the moment and about 5 minutes ago i noticed the person speaking over the clips sounded like a kid.
    FFS she's awful. Seriously, how the hell did she get on the air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I totally agree with everyone here. Me and my bf were discussing how truly awful she is. She sounds like a kid learning to read. I have no idea how she got hired - I thought she's be tv3 material. I also agree with the comments on Niamh-Whiney-Nolan - terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Hey, did any of these presenters start out on the kids' news on N2? That could explain how this trend started...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

Absolutely agree, she sounds like she should be on Bosco.

On the subject of the 11 o clock news on Bog 2 has anyone else notice that Anthony Murnane usually starts laughing as the program ends?
    The cameramen must be pulling mooners or the like. This happens on a regular basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

But hold on, surely it's up to RTE to train these people before putting them in front of a camera.

I don't know the first thing about broadcasting, but I know Niamh and she is a fine reporter.

David Murphy, as another example, is an excellent business hack, but he's no good on air.

I wonder do they get ANY training beforehand?
    I think they usually get a month's training

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

I totally agree with you about AG. The first time I heard her i couldn't believe the amateur-ness of her voice, but as time has gone on and she's still there I have just become completely incredulous. How can RTE leave her there when she is OBVIOUSLY so dreadful?? How can they not hear how bad she is?? Maybe they do know and that's the reason they always stick her near the end of News2 at about 11.30 at night...but still she shouldn't even be there!!

Advertisement