Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charleville Investigation June 3rd - WHO'S GOING?

Options
  • 15-05-2006 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭

First off only post here if you want to go and are available on that date.

If you have a question about the trip either pm myself or stevenmu or ask in the other thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054930701

I'll try answer some questions before they get asked (i am psychic after all ;)).

Venue: Charleville Forest Castle, Tullamore, Co. Offaly

Date: Saturday night 3rd June 2006 - leaving Sunday morning

Price: €40 per person - food & transportation not included

Start time: We would like people to be at the castle at 7.30pm

Finish time: We will be finished early in the morning 5am-6.30am

Transport: For those driving - get out a map, its easy to find.

Public transport from Dublin: Heuston station has trains going regularily. Check time table @ http://www.irishrail.com - the station is Tullamore. As it stands there is a train from Dublin at 17:55 arriving in Tullamore at 19:03 and returning on Sunday morning at 10.15 arriving in Dublin at 11.22 - this costs approximately €28 return.

Facilities: There is a kitchen for making tea and eating food, toilets plus we have the use of a main room were there are beds and a fire.

The group will consist of 2 teams of 5 led by Stevenmu & myself.

I think thats all for now so if all of the above suits and you are interested in going please let us know. The list as it stands is as follows:

1) Stevenmu
    2) 6th
    3) Grimes
    4) monkeyfudge
    5) Gillo
    6) place held
    7) place held

So there are now 3 places left, so if you are interested we need to know by the end of this week,

In the past we have had people drop out last minute - this can not be help - but if someone cant make it for whatever reason please let us know asap so we can fill the space. Anyone who just doesnt turn up will not be invitied on any trip I am involved with again (i dont like being a dick but i dont like being messed around either).

So, who's up for a night in a haunted castle?

6th

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

btw I started this thread coz the other one got clogged up with posts that had nothing to do with organising this trip - please keep it on topic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 IPI

I wish I'd known about it sooner, but I know there's nothing you can do about that. Is there a thread where you discuss how the investigation is to be conducted? What equipment will you be using/needing. In my view, there's no point turning up like tourists and hoping to get a snap of a ghost falling down stairs. Ambient conditions play as much a role in sightings as anything else (time of day, phase of the moon, weather conditions etc) and while it may be impossible to recreate conditions perfectly to suit the particular apparition under investigation, there are steps that a properly organised team can take which must surely improve the probability of determining the nature of the apparition (whether a recording or an ectoplasmic recreation).

I'm a dumb amateur with a handful of creative notions, but I sincerely hope to be involved next time around. Meanwhile, if I can arrange my life around 3rd June, I'll let you know.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I've bumped up an old thread here to discuss equiptment, methodology etc.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm certainly no more than a dumb amateur and would welcome any tips or advice.

Yep, dump amateur here too - just very enthusiastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Myself and my wife as was stated in other thread please :D

• Advertisement

can i just say at this point that couples may be split into seperate groups as i find being around someone you know well may affect the way in which you experience something.

Am sure its not a big deal, have had pms from a few people now and it seems this trip could be popular with couples - as long as no one thinks its a romantic night in a castle.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Ha, thats so not going to happen :) PM you later with confirmation.

Ok Gillo has joined in too.

How are people getting there? car/train etc. Also can everyone be there for 7.30 at the latest.

Hi can everyone who wants to go on this trip pm me there details i.e. real name, mobile number and email address.

Cheers,

6th

Ok updated list is:

1) Stevenmu
    2) 6th
    3) Grimes
    4) monkeyfudge
    5) Gillo
    6) KatieK
    7) Mr. KatieK
    8) Saruman
    9) Mrs. Saruman

So there is still one place left, anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

Mr. KatieK, cute... hehe. :D

Anyway, looks like this is the fastest organised investigation ever. Oh yeah, attendees, if you know that you're not going to be able to make an investigation, please let the investigators know ASAP. I know it seems like it is the most simple thing in the world to think about or remember, but sometimes we tend to forget the simple things... I know I have!

Ok final numbers are:
    1) Stevenmu
    2) 6th
    3) Grimes
    4) Grimes' associate
    5) monkeyfudge
    6) Gillo
    7) KatieK
    8) Mr. KatieK
    9) Saruman
    10) Mrs. Saruman

Ok people as i said all ready I need real names, email addresses and mobiles for everyone going on this trip. If you've already sent them to me humour me and do it again! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭New_Departure06

I'd really like to see the results of a trip to Loftus Hall. :)

I'd really like to see the results of a trip to Loftus Hall. :)

Would you? thats nice ... now what has that got to do with this thread or anything set out in the original post?

Back on topic: come on people i'm getting nervous when i dont hear back!

Ok this is now turning into a thread to discuss plans for this trip.

Ok well the format of this trip isnt going to be dramatically different to the previous ones but we will try to document more.
    Myself and Steven will be going down early enough and setting up a few things. We will also do a few base line tests and make sure we write everything down.

There will be alot more filming done this time and there will be a night vision camera in the dungeon pretty much the whole night which will be hooked up to a tv so we can watch on big screen as it happens.

Again i would like to try the "sleeper" exercise so will be looking for 1 person to go for a little nap in the Red Room while a camera is on them.

There will be no seance but the night will be divided up into much better vigals.

As for equipment and what to bring heres a quick list:

Everyone should bring:

1) Dark warm clothes with no illuminous or reflective stripes - they show up in photos and can be confusiong.
    2) A torch
    3) Snacks
    4) notebook and pens
    5) a watch

People can feel free to bring any things they like, along the lines of cameras, audio recorders etc. If you are bring any equipment please make sure you have plenty of batteries and film etc.
    Would someone be able to bring a small first aid kit?

I do not presume that anyone has any particular equipment and it is not nessecery to have these things to come on an investigation. The idea is that these trips are for people with an interest in the paranormal and there is no pressure to run out and spend money.

In saying that if anyone wants to list what they will be bringing feel free.

6th

Also very important, if anyone suffers from asthma, epilepsy or anything else please bring any medication you need and let either myself or steven know in advance.
    Last thing we need is someone dropping to the ground in convultions and someone jumping in with a do-it-yourself exorcism!

6th wrote:
    Yep, dump amateur here too - just very enthusiastic!

Even I'm an amateur on the grand scale of things, and I've been doing investigations for about 2 years, albeit on and off!

• Advertisement

Kennett wrote:
    Even I'm an amateur on the grand scale of things, and I've been doing investigations for about 2 years, albeit on and off!

Er Andy we are all very much amateurs here - just some are very new to it all.

As we've discussed 2 years is nothing really especially when you look at how little has been done in those 2 years. Its the wanting to do more that will pay off in time but for now we are all nothing but very enthusiastic amateurs.

Though am not sure what this has to do with this thread anyway? ;)

6th wrote:
    As for equipment and what to bring heres a quick list:

Everyone should bring:

1) Dark warm clothes with no illuminous or reflective stripes - they show up in photos and can be confusiong.
    2) A torch
    3) Snacks
    4) notebook and pens
    5) a watch

People can feel free to bring any things they like, along the lines of cameras, audio recorders etc. If you are bring any equipment please make sure you have plenty of batteries and film etc.
    Would someone be able to bring a small first aid kit?

I do not presume that anyone has any particular equipment and it is not nessecery to have these things to come on an investigation. The idea is that these trips are for people with an interest in the paranormal and there is no pressure to run out and spend money.

In saying that if anyone wants to list what they will be bringing feel free.

6th
    Also very important, if anyone suffers from asthma, epilepsy or anything else please bring any medication you need and let either myself or steven know in advance.
    Last thing we need is someone dropping to the ground in convultions and someone jumping in with a do-it-yourself exorcism!

Just bumping these to this page so people dont miss them.

6th wrote:
    Ok heres a quick list of what i'll be bringing, I hope i wont forget any of it and may bring a few more bits and pieces.

*Warm Clothes
    Lighter
    Note Book
    Pens and Pencils
    **Torch
    Canon Powershot 1.3MP Digital Camera
    Pentax Optio 50L 5MP Digital Camera
    Pentax K1000 fully manual camera with flash gun
    Sony TRV14 miniDV HandyCam with Night Vision
    New unrapped Tapes
    Tripod
    Walkie Talkies x 2
    ***Batteries
    Charger for batteries and video camera
    Crystal
    Snacks
    ****Maps
    Matches and Tea Light Candles
    Automatic writing devices

* - Not that everyone needs to wear black but could people make sure not to wear anything that is reflective ie strips on runners, as it may cause confusion results in photos. Oh and dress warm!
    ** - If everyone has a torch it will make things easier if you want to nip off to the toilets etc in the dark.
    *** - Anyone bring anything that requires batteries should make sure they have enough with them. Its not unusual for fresh ones to just die for no reason.
    **** - i have done up sheets for the night. Everyone will get a map of each floor so they can take notes of anything that happens, HAVE A PEN!!

Ok thats pretty much my list from last time and its what i will be bringing again plus a EMF reader and a non contact lazer thermometer.

could people please eat before arriving so as to save time

6th

6th wrote:
    Er Andy we are all very much amateurs here - just some are very new to it all.

I'm sure there's many more who are interested too... I actually stumbled upon a site where 14 people around Naas (mostly in Dublin) were interested in this sort of thing, so perhaps we'd do well to expand our reach as it were?
    As we've discussed 2 years is nothing really especially when you look at how little has been done in those 2 years. Its the wanting to do more that will pay off in time but for now we are all nothing but very enthusiastic amateurs.

In England, it seems that 2 years isn't much at all, but in Ireland it seems to be somewhat different, as the topic of paranormal investigations really only started within the past 2-3 years...
    Though am not sure what this has to do with this thread anyway? ;)

Just making sure people know that I'm in no way very experienced, even if I was one of the first members to come here, and have around 10 or so investigations under my belt, lol

Re the past two posts: It's kind of nice to know that some things can be reused over and over again, saves us all a heck of a lot of time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Dr_Darkness

Unfortunately I won't be able to come along on 3rd June, but I definately will be able to make it in August (and probably my fiance too), if yous are having another investgation there.

I was there with a group from here back in 2004 and it was great and I keep meaning to go again but something kept popping up, so I haven't been able to make it. :(

Have you guys decided on whether to go to Edinburgh to hold an investgation or not? I remember reading something about that on these boards, but haven't read anything more about it? I think it would be great if a group of us got together and went some weekend you know, make a good trip of it. There are so many haunted locations to check out in Edinburgh, plus its a lovely old city with lots of history and vibes. Also there are lots of other haunted places in parts of UK to check out.

Unfortunately I won't be able to come along on 3rd June, but I definately will be able to make it in August (and probably my fiance too), if yous are having another investgation there.

I'll be handling the one in August most likely, though I'm not going to make plans till the middle of next month, at least.
    I was there with a group from here back in 2004 and it was great and I keep meaning to go again but something kept popping up, so I haven't been able to make it. :(

What group did you go with, may I ask?
    Also there are lots of other haunted places in parts of UK to check out.

Very much agreed. I'm checking out Epping Forest and a place nearby, and I intend to nab both of them as investigation areas. I'm also going to Bolling Hall in Bradford at the end of next month, and I plan on going to Eastbury Manor House (which is 2 miles away from me) in November and I'm sure I'll have more investigations to attend eventually, as well as my solo efforts, so I have a pretty active year ahead of me in terms of paranormal investigations!

Ok people its only a few days away so expect a text from me!

Any questions, ideas or suggestions?

If possible attach a mike to a dictaphone when recording as it's supposed to be better than inbuilt mikes for EVP. Also see if people can split up so as to catch poltergeist activity. You're braver men/women than me!

Actually we dont have a mike coming down, we have a mark and a steven, will either of those do? lol

Seriously though will be bringing a small microphone. Not sure how spliting up will help us "catch poltergeist activity" but we will be split into 2 groups of 5 for much of the night.

• Advertisement

What's the recording device gonna be, a dictaphone?

Advertisement