Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ghost Investigation Equipment

Options
  • 04-01-2006 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭

Just thought id get a post going so people can post a list of the stuff they use from the most basic to the most advanced to give people an idea of what is involved and needed to make an investigation legit and scientific.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Well a few basics:

A very good torch, with a good sharp beam .... none of this big fuzzy crap.

A 35mm film camera.

If you like a 35mm fully manual SLR with a tripod, you can get one for about €140, I use a Pentax K1000 its from the 70's but anyone who's into photography knows its very good.

There are lots of extras you can pick up like infra-red lights to extend range in the dark.

A digital camera ... these are getting cheaper by the second so dont spend too much as they get updated all the time.

Good audio recorder ... I'd like advice on this myself.

A crystal ... if you've never used one look into it .. i find 99% people get some sort of result.

2-way radios.

Anyone remember the lights I brought to Charleville last time! they rocked lol

..... oh and a ouija board ...... sit down people, I'm kidding!!

6th

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=156883

That was an old thread when I asked the same question....

To more current events, I have:

Torch
    Pens, pencils and a notepad
    Divining rods (uncleansed - dunno how to cleanse them)
    Multimeter
    Quartz pendulum
    Minidisc recorder (at home)
    Digital camera
    APS Camera
    Tons of AA batteries and a few AAA batteries
    Gloves (to keep myself warm outside)
    Ultrasonic distance measurer (somewhere)
    Tape measure (again, somewhere)

I want to get myself:

EMF Meter
    Negative Ion Detector
    Canum
    Video Camera
    Maglite torch
    Possibly a tape recorder
    Waterproof fleece (technically not specific to paranormal, but the shop sells it, plus it's important to keep warm!)
    Walkie-talkies (or find the ones I bought!)
    More batteries... never enough!
    Glowsticks... good for light if the batteries go

I try to balance scientific and spiritual up... at least then I don't rely specifically on one method... I think it's important to get proof on both methods, so it lends more credibility...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Spool of thread
    A small bag of flour
    Thermos of coffee

Thaedydal wrote:
    Spool of thread
    A small bag of flour
    Thermos of coffee

The coffee I appriciate, but why the other two? O_o

The thread can be stuck or strung across doors, corridors, passage ways and checked later to see if anyone has broken it or if a door has been opened.
    ie the sound of doors being opened or slamming in a house so you close the doors and tape a piece of thread at two points on it, if the door has been in fact opened the thread will be broken.

A light dusting of flour can be used to see if some one has in in a room or if things have been moved about in a room, is footsteps being heard in an empty room the flour on the flour either will or will not be disturbed.

These are simple things tht can be set up and checked but you do have to let everyone know where they are done so no one blunders into them.

Oh and small bells like what cats wear on the collars can be used and hung on the threads and on door handles.

• Advertisement

Thaedydal wrote:
    The thread can be stuck or strung across doors, corridors, passage ways and checked later to see if anyone has broken it or if a door has been opened.
    ie the sound of doors being opened or slamming in a house so you close the doors and tape a piece of thread at two points on it, if the door has been in fact opened the thread will be broken.

A light dusting of flour can be used to see if some one has in in a room or if things have been moved about in a room, is footsteps being heard in an empty room the flour on the flour either will or will not be disturbed.

These are simple things tht can be set up and checked but you do have to let everyone know where they are done so no one blunders into them.

Oh and small bells like what cats wear on the collars can be used and hung on the threads and on door handles.

That's true, never thought about that...

Tricks of a kitchen witch ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Thaedydal wrote:
    Spool of thread
    A small bag of flour
    Thermos of coffee

Good woman Thaed, you give us our coffee, mend any torn clothes and bake us cakes for our ghost hunting! :p:p

:rolleyes:

yes sure I will fix you a nice rubarb leaf salad as well.

lol :D

Seriously though, they're pretty good tricks and all :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Thaedydal wrote:

yes sure I will fix you a nice rubarb leaf salad as well.

Isn't rubarb leaf poisonous...? We used to have some in the garden.

Have you actually used the flour idea? Sounds insanely messy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Zillah wrote:
    Sounds insanely messy.

Just don't do it in your own house :D

Zillah wrote:
    Isn't rubarb leaf poisonous...
    Zillah wrote:
    Have you actually used the flour idea? Sounds insanely messy.

Its very common, some people just put some on a piece of paper or serving tray at a door or below a window. Others will put and object like a marble on it (or something easily moved) photography it at the start of an investigation, then again at the end of as night and see if it has moved.

6th

Well trigger objects, yeah I've heard of that. But Thaed gave the impression of sprinkling a whole room. Just sounded insanely trobulesome.

Not really if you also bring your broom and ghostbuster sorry Dustbuster.

Best to bring both :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Zillah wrote:
    Just sounded insanely trobulesome.
    Not as bad as I thought it was going to be, I'd honestly thought the string and flour was to rig up some kind of trap that would cover the ghosts in flour so they could be seen.

stevenmu wrote:
    Not as bad as I thought it was going to be, I'd honestly thought the string and flour was to rig up some kind of trap that would cover the ghosts in flour so they could be seen.

/Cackles Out Loud

Ah come on really sounds like you have been watching too much scooby doo.

:d

If only it were that simple :v:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

Thaedydal wrote:
    Spool of thread
    A small bag of flour
    Thermos of coffee

Now your talking! Flour is definately cheaper than talc!

Scissors and tape (with some tissue/thread can be used to eliminate or identify or draghts).

Link a video camera to a radio time signal or synchronise it at the beginning of a recording. One can get clocks online Fro example www.maplin.co.uk/
    look up Outdoor & Leisure > Time & Weather > Radio Controlled Clocks
    They range from under £10 sterling.

So you can sychronise several videos to a millionth of a second. The weather station might be good for outside use, or for testing "cold " or "hot spots".

Here is an article on it (not from a skeptic or someone who has been qualified in science but does have a scientific approach to equipment in this article): http://www.visionaryliving.com/articles/investigationtips.html

LIDL had night vision equipment ofn offer but it was E130 or so. If the place is remote with on electricity a power pack (the sort that can start a car which is the saze of a small briefcase ) might help for charging batteries keeping cameras going all night, using a light or even making tea! You can get one for about E30 and they come up as specials from time to time in ALDI/LIDL.

A decent sleeping bag, hat, gloves scarf and maybe hand warmers should not be forgotten. If outdoors consider one of those beach tents and wear leather shoes. This time of year standing in a wet field with runners for twenty minutes and your feet will be rigid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

ISAW wrote:
    Link a video camera to a radio time signal or synchronise it at the beginning of a recording.

And for god sake use a high quality camera with a high quality IR light, not Paris Hilton style night vision, but proper wild life photography night vision.

It is so tedious to see these "proof" videos that have the resolution of a web camera and are blurred out of all recongision and them someone points out that blurry mass of pixels that looks like random noise is in fact their neighbours grand mother grand mother.

Bump for next investigation, I know there was a few other similar threads but this was the best I've seen.

true, good job steven, save us writing it all again. plus help me not forget stuff.

I was thinking of doing out a description of each piece of equipment in the wiki I Was got up, thought it might be useful to have...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Yvette Fielding. if nothing happens you can say boo and she's sure to liven things up.

On a more serious note, no one has mentioned a First Aid kit.

I haven't done an investigation but I'm guessing:
    A thermal imaging camera
    Time delayed camera (left in a locked off position)
    History books on the area
    Plenty of food (if it's aall nighter you're gonna need your energy)(Pro plus included!!)

gillo wrote:
    On a more serious note, no one has mentioned a First Aid kit.

I kept on meaning to, but I didn't have the space for one. Fair play for remembering it though.
    Plenty of food (if it's aall nighter you're gonna need your energy)(Pro plus included!!)

Always needed, and recommended.

Here's a link I stumbled across that may come in handy: http://www.paraseek.com/store2.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement