Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modularisation/Semesterisation(/Trimesterisation)

Options

Comments

Yep, the first meeting of this group will be taking place on Wednesday (10th of May) at 4pm. This should be a long process, given the extensive terms of reference in the group which are present in the above link. I'll be posting regular updates on http://www.tcdsu.org/ informing everyone about what is going on at the working group.

To explain briefly, a few month ago the Senior Lecturer (person in charge of academic affairs) brought an item to the Heads of School Committee seeking advice on how to proceed. The meeting agreed that a further proposal be brought forward to that same committee, which was done. Out of this committee came a proposal for the working group, which then passed through University Council, and as such the working group is planning to proceed.

The final decision on this will go through both University Council & Board.

There will be much information placed on the above website (the modularisation one, not tcdsu.org!) during the time of discussion of the working group, similar to the restructuring website which seeks comments from both students and staff.

That's it!

Dónal (Education Officer)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Bartronilic

I'd go to UCDD for 12 years before Id ever do modularisation. I hate the idea. i like finishing in may and starting in october! Aah

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

this makes so little difference to me actually - my course is going to be run on semesters from next year anyhow, with exams when the engineers have em. so i'm already stuck with it, no matter what :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

How does thsi solidly affect students? I've done the Semesterisation and the Trimesterisation.

LiouVille wrote:
    How does thsi solidly affect students? I've done the Semesterisation and the Trimesterisation.

Well, one suggestion was to start in September instead of October, and then have 12 weeks instead of 9, then another 12 weeks, then 4 weeks of exams. Another one was to have an earlier start in September, and then 12 weeks of lectures, then 2 weeks of exams, then another 12 weeks of lectures, then 2 weeks of exams.

It might be changing the entire structure of when we study, and how.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I like the 12 week and two weeks of exams idea, Works for me this year.

LiouVille wrote:
    I like the 12 week and two weeks of exams idea, Works for me this year.

Personally I disliked having half the year based around a semester (which wasn't really a semester, it was 11, 2, 11 rather then 12, 12) since not all of the subjects were 'semesterised' (3E1, 3E2 & 3E3 all went on for the year). So JS Engineering is a bit twisted in that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭ZWEI_VIER_ZWEI

What the hell is wrong with the way it is at the moment? If this means shorter holidays then I'm dead set against it...why 'fix' what ain't broke?

We end earlier, but start earlier. years still the same length.

&#231 wrote: »
    We end earlier, but start earlier. years still the same length.

Plus there'd be a possible re-jigging of the 3 weeks we have off in March, with a view to extending the summer to 12 weeks from the current 8 (not including repeats), and one less week off over Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

why 'fix' what ain't broke?
    My sentiments exactly.

europerson wrote:
    My sentiments exactly.

If you want to hear something else fun, guess when the three open meetings for staff and students to talk about S&M are planned? Yes, that's right, in the middle of the exams...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

Myth wrote:
    If you want to hear something else fun, guess when the three open meetings for staff and students to talk about S&M are planned? Yes, that's right, in the middle of the exams...

Sounds like something straight out of Hugh Brady's (the much loved president of UCDD, as he calls it) book! :rolleyes:

Myth wrote:
    Yeah - I couldnt believe when i heard that Donál.

Just received an e-mail from the SL, sent to undergrads:
    NOTICE TO STAFF AND STUDENTS

The Working Group on Modularisation and Semesterisation has been asked by
    the University Council to examine the case for and against adopting a
    modular course structure and/or a semester or trimester academic year
    structure. A website has been set up, and information and documentation will
    be posted to it as it becomes available.

In order to assess the impact of such changes on academic activity and
    College life in general, the Working Group will be inviting submissions from
    academic Schools and units, Deans, administrative offices and student
    support services, the Students' Union and Graduate Students' Union, and
    other student interests such as clubs and societies, as well as from
    individual members of staff. The process of consultation will also include
    open meetings/information gathering sessions with staff and students and
    members of the Working Party.

The first of these sessions have been scheduled as follows:

Wednesday 17th May 2006; 11.00am-12.00pm; 2039 Walton Theatre, Arts Bldg

Thursday 18th May 2006; 2.00pm-3.00pm; 2039 Walton Theatre, Arts Bldg

Further sessions will be arranged for the autumn.

The Terms of Reference and membership of the Working Party can be viewed at http://www.tcd.ie/local/modularisation/terms.php

Ignoring the fact that everyone will be cramming next week, and that it is a terrible time for a meeting for both staff and students, and also that nothing has really been discussed/decided at the committee so far (we've had one meeting), there will be two meetings next week for the purposes of a discussion about S&M at the above dates/times. So if you somehow are in the minority of students who don't have exams soon, please come along.

And by the way, there will be two meetings in Michaelmas term so that students can actually have an input into what the hell is happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

I wrote back to the Senior Lecturer when I got that mail out of sheer disgust at the timing of the meetings. Are they joking? How can they expect students to play an equal part in these negotiations if they schedule them for a couple of days before exams start? Few enough students get involved in stuff like this at it is; this is a joke.

Heh. I've just replied to your e-mail Christine.

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly! (I CC'd my Angry Mail to Donal too). Unsurprisingly you're the only one that's gotten back to me so far...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Danger Bob

Wish I'd seen the angry mail. :(

A future member of SU Exec (I'm staying cryptic on this one) sent an angry mail too and he CC'd it to me. It was incredibly well worded and concise, fully summing up all the problems with consultation at this time of year. Only problem was that he referred to the Senior Lecturer as Ms.Anderson....:D

Still though, it's a bit of a shame. Fair play to Donal for convincing them to do Michaelmas consultations as well. I know everyone's desperate for all the study time they can get but if you all schedule a study break for those times on Wednesday and Thursday, it could be interesting. (Realises the stupidity of what he just said.)

Could it be an idea for people viewing this link to post up any serious questions/concerns regarding the process or the results and ask that their President/Education Officer/Faculty Convenor might put them forward at the meeting in case they can't attend? In fairness, it would be hoped that these representatives would be there so they should be used appropriately.

For example, if someone posts that they're an Arts student and they'd like to know how the new system might affect courses in this faculty, then that question could be passed on to the Arts and Humanities Convenor and she could ask it on the poster's behalf. Or something like that could probably be worked anyway.

P.S. Sorry for hacking it up again. Just think it's important that we put our concerns out there from the start, as, I'm guessing, do the others who have posted here.

Indeed. By the way, this will be going up on the website in post #1, but the decision is planned to come to Board in Hilary Term 2007. That will mean that if you're in Senior Freshman at the moment, your Senior Sophistor year may be semesterised/modularised etc.

Oh, and Rob! Your post wasn't hacky! You're just getting paranoid now :)

• Advertisement

Wish I'd seen the angry mail

Wasn't that exciting to be honest Rob!

I'm not with the doomsayers on this one - I think modularisation could work well. There are a lot of departments that aren't well run/organised (*waves over to the Sociology department*) and this could kick them into shape

stargal wrote:
    There are a lot of departments that aren't well run/organised (*waves over to the Sociology department*) and this could kick them into shape

Wasn't that the point of restructuring :rolleyes:

I shall hopefully be there on wednesday - kinda just want to wander along and ask wtf they were thinking putting them on at this time. gits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

Danger Bob wrote:
    P.S. Sorry for hacking it up again. Just think it's important that we put our concerns out there from the start, as, I'm guessing, do the others who have posted here.

Rob hackiness ooses out of this board and not from you.

i think i'll head along on thursday and see what the story is or what theyre telling us the story is. i've got a few questions to which there will hopefully be some convincing answers, as oppose dot the standard non answer. i mena what is it with the non answer answer. its not an arts paper..anyway shall have more to say in a day or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

&#231 wrote: »
    I shall hopefully be there on wednesday
    i think i'll head along on thursday
    See yous there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

some people just can't get enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭SOL

Anyone considered that pushing into september would mean losing freshers week and be seriously bad for societies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭ZWEI_VIER_ZWEI

SOL wrote:
    Anyone considered that pushing into september would mean losing freshers week and be seriously bad for societies?

Why's that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

Why's that?

If I'm understanding SOL right: without Fresher's Week, societies would lose a huge proportion of their members, since a lot of people will join up with dozens of societies during that week even if they never become active in more than a few (...hils...). We lose that, the societies lose money, a vital part of college social life is damaged. Maybe not a particularly compelling argument to someone who isn't hugely invested in the society side of college, but a point to be raised nonetheless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Fresher's week can always be moved...

Advertisement