Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon uk no longer shipping games to Ireland?

Options
  • 29-04-2006 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭

Just noticed this today. Amazon.co.uk are no longer shipping any video games or hardware outside of the UK (And this is amazon themselves not third party sellers on marketplace). I buy games from them every now and then so I think it is only a recent change. Anybody know when this started and why?
    It also seems to be all electronic devices as well, not just the big ones.
    Looks like I 'll have to stick to Play.com from now on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

whats up with that. I'd rather buy from there because it's much much cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

It's odd that "software" can be sent but not a "video game"...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/524836/ref=cs_hd_lp_3/026-5966292-3314849#pc

You'd best ask Amazon 'Why?'. Let us know.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

booo! I had a bunch of vouchers I had to use by the end of 2005 and I put them all down on a pre-order of Dead Rising for the 360...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Hakumei Naru

Well that sucks to say the least. I'd understand not wanting to send software because of piracy issues....but console games? This doesn't make any sense. All shops in Ireland and Britain get the exact same copies of each game so it cannot be edition issues. Do they not realise how much money they may be losing?

Some idiot must have sued them for some silly reason and managed to get away with it. That's often how surprisingly silly regulations are made.

Great...there go my chances of ever buying Star Ocean 2 again...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

www.shopireland.ie the same?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭wayne040576

I sent them an email. The reply I got didn't really answer my question as to why there was a change in policy
    Dear Customer

Thank you for contacting Amazon.co.uk with your enquiry.

Amazon.co.uk can dispatch certain Electronics & Photo and Home &
    Garden items only to addresses in the UK and the Republic of Ireland.

With regard to specific information on Amazon.co.uk's delivery
    restrictions, please refer to the relevant Help Desk page by using the
    following link:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/524836

Thank you for your understanding of our policy.

Shopireland.ie is also affected because when you select an item, you still have to purchase it through amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

Karoma wrote:
    It's odd that "software" can be sent but not a "video game"...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/524836/ref=cs_hd_lp_3/026-5966292-3314849#pc

You'd best ask Amazon 'Why?'. Let us know.
    I just emailed them and got a standard letter which doesn't say why:

Dear Customer

Thank you for contacting Amazon.co.uk.

Amazon.co.uk and third-party sellers at Amazon.co.uk Marketplace can dispatch software, PC and video games and toys to the following countries: * Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Iceland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Republic of Ireland, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the United Kingdom (England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales)

For further information please visit our "Delivery Restrictions" Help page at: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/524836/

Please note that video games offered on our website follow the PAL standard, which is the video format used in most European countries and regions of Asia. These games will not play on most games consoles in countries that use NTSC, SECAM or other video standards.

Thank you for your interest in Amazon.co.uk.

Warmest regards

Elizabeth J
    Customer Service Amazon.co.uk

Yeah, cheers for that. Been buying from Amazon for about 7 years but won't be bothering now. :mad:

We need an amazon.ie or something of the sort. The thing is though....is it going to stop at games? Or is it going to spread over other categories? I hope not...I like being able to buy good books without going broke.

I suspect the reason they did this is because it costs them too much when items like this get lost in the post.

I suspect the reason they did this is because it costs them too much when items like this get lost in the post.

An Post mess up so much and have so many strikes...I wouldn't be surprised if they had something to do with it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Nyum Nyum wrote:
    Dear Customer...

Amazon.co.uk and third-party sellers at Amazon.co.uk Marketplace can dispatch software, PC and video games and toys to the following countries:... Republic of Ireland,

!!!???

^Okay, looks like we're all blind and stupid, hahaha ^_^'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭X-SL

has anyone tried yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

monument wrote:
    !!!???
    From their site:
    PC & Video Games, Toys & Games and Gift items

* Amazon.co.uk: United Kingdom (England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales) only.
    * Marketplace: Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Iceland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Republic of Ireland, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the United Kingdom (England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales).

You can still get them from Marketplace sellers (Provided the chosen seller does post to ROI),but not Amazon directly.
    They probably sent an out-dated form email.
    I tested it before posting here - you cannot order games directly from amazon.

Keep pushing them.

ed:
    *** We're sorry. This item can't be shipped to your selected destination. You may either change the shipping address or delete the item from your order by changing its quantity to 0 and clicking the update button below. ( See geographical restrictions.) ***

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jongore

This sucks big time, it looks like play.com will be getting all my business from now on.

X-SL wrote:
    has anyone tried yet?

Yeah I tried last night before I made the original post and it wouldn't let me order.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

shortys94 wrote:

that's just amazon.co.uk with euro prices, no difference in shipping etc.

kind of wierd, but whenever i did buy games i didn't notice a big dip in prices anyway. play.com is better for games IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Sidane

Damn, that blows!

I bought a Canon Ixus 55 camera from Amazon a few weeks ago for considerably less than it would have cost me on the high street.

Actually I had to return the camera because of a few dead pixels in the lense....maybe that triggered the change! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

F*cking idiots.

Bad enough that they stopped shipping stuff like tfts and consoles but games?
    I have a northern address I can use but that's not the point...I can buy feckin' DVDs from the US but not games from the UK? Hello?

[edit] Just been messin' round with different items and it seems that the ONLY items they mail here now are books, DVD/CDs and s/w...no electronics/photo, no kitchen/garden, nothing in toys/games. nothing in PC/Video games. That's a big blow for irish buyers...I've bought from every one of those categorys at some stage.

Wertz wrote:
    I can buy feckin' DVDs from the US but not games from the UK? Hello?

Yeah, that makes no sense at all. Britain is just next door and won't deliver us games...but you can order from another continent without much problem.

• Advertisement

They gonna lose cutomers even with the items that they still deliver here because of this. I guess they think they can live without the irish market.

I guess they think they can live without the irish market.

Well that's a compliment and a half.

I guess that eventually another online shop will take Amazon's place. I hope it's soon. I finally have work and I really want to buy Star Ocean 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭fjon

Argh - what a pain! I have loads of vouchers I was going to use.
    The only time I've used them recently is for electronics. The last two items didn't arrive, so they had to send them out again. Guess maybe this kind of thing happened one too many times?

fjon wrote:
    Argh - what a pain! I have loads of vouchers I was going to use.
    The only time I've used them recently is for electronics. The last two items didn't arrive, so they had to send them out again. Guess maybe this kind of thing happened one too many times?

Probably plays the biggest factor in it. Might have been an idea to switch to anonymous brown boxes instead of advertising the fact to the local postie that the package contains some expensive consumables, just begging to get "lost".

On the point about affording the loss of the Irish market, well thing is the UK is already well covered by many smaller sellers that sell at in and around the amazon price...what do we have as an equivalent? Most other UK reatilers either don't mail to here or are extortionate on shipping rates.
    We're left with books and discs all of which can be sourced on other international sites, especially DVD/CDs

I found better prices than Amazon before, many many times....but their deliveries come quickly. I hate ordering something only to have it about a month later. International sites are great but delivery time can be a real turn-off.

Kind of an ironic move too, after them deciding to set up an international services centre in Cork :rolleyes:
    Surely an amazon.ie, and an associated warehouse/distribution centre is just begging to be set up...what do we have at present...buy4now? lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Wertz wrote:
    Kind of an ironic move too, after them deciding to set up an international services centre in Cork :rolleyes:
    Surely an amazon.ie, and an associated warehouse/distribution centre is just begging to be set up...what do we have at present...buy4now? lol
    Amazon already own the domain, right now it redirects to Amazon.co.uk, so you never know...

Wertz wrote:

That's still no reason to withdraw the option to order games. If that is their reason then it's a bad move. They're just pissing people off.

I think maybe they've coded it to just blanket ban sales from the PC/Videogames section for the sake of consoles and other hardware...maybe they'll alter the code to exempt game discs? I mena games are in the price ragne of DVDs and certain books and arr undoubtedly a big seller for them when you see the savings to be made by buying from them.

Yeah aidan, that's a good point...since we're apparently one of the richest per capita countrys in the EU, not having access to sales from one of the biggest Etailers in the EU is somewhat...er, Irish, so let's hope so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭fjon

Hmm, just emailed them a few minutes ago, and got the same out-dated template back:

Dear Customer

Thank you for contacting Amazon.co.uk.

Amazon.co.uk and third-party sellers at Amazon.co.uk Marketplace can
    dispatch software, PC and video games and toys to the following
    countries:

* Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar,
    Greece, Iceland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Netherlands,
    Norway, Portugal, Republic of Ireland, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland
    and the United Kingdom (England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and
    Wales)

For further information please visit our "Delivery Restrictions"
    Help page at:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/524836/

Please note that video games offered on our website follow the PAL
    standard, which is the video format used in most European countries
    and regions of Asia. These games will not play on most games consoles
    in countries that use NTSC, SECAM or other video standards.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement