Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you opt for a Wood Pellet Boiler?

Options
  • 28-11-2005 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭

Well at the weekend we FINALLY decided that we will not go down the lpg or oil route that we are going to put the budget to one side for the moment and go for a wood pellet boiler. I am wondering if anyone can make recommendations please about suppliers etc? Can those using wood pellet assure me too that we are doing the right thing please????

Very much obliged for all your feed back.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

I'd also like to hear owners opinions in these.

Most people you talk to say that they aren't worth the initial outlay. But I'd rather hear it from someone that actually has one in operation in their house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Goll Mac Morna

We are in the same position as yourself and we have FINALLY decided on using a pellet boiler or stove with boiler a number of times!!!
    The thing that keeps putting us off is the high cost of the boilers.
    Our house will be very well insulated and will have a low heat demand so we are considering LPG.
    We might be swayed back to the pellets if there is a favourable grant aid proposal for them in the forthcoming budget (there have been rumours that some type of assistance might be on the cards).
    The long and the short of it is that they are too bloody expensive without some type of subsidy
    An LPG boiler could be the best option for a low heat demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Builderwoman!

Hi Goll & Tin of apples, thanks for joining in. I totally agree with you goll that the price of wood pellet boilers without any grants for them is crazy. Firstly I would say my advice would be (now that I have done the research AND read other threads on this board) re LPG is that don't go for lpg! If you go for an efficient oil boiler you will get one for about a grand or less. Then later if a grant aid came through (hopefully it will) you could always change over. Not ideal I know but might make sense. I would recommend you phone Alan at Precision Heat 01 8091571 and have a chat with him about the price of boilers. He is very very helpful. I spoke with him yesterday think we may be doing a deal with him and he was thousands cheaper for a wood pellet (yes I am saying thousands!) boiler than other companies. His brand is a Veissman so you are getting the best German technology according to plumbers! Keep me posted on your progress. Are you ready for installation? We are really at decision time and I think it will be yes for wood pellet thanks to my phonecalls yesterday. Good luck!

If anyone is using a wood pellet boiler...please post us and tell us we are doing the right thing!!!!!

Builderwoman ,
    How much are ye getting the W/P boiler for ?

Tinofapples, Our house is big so we need a 26kw wood pellet boiler and we were quoted 5600 (&Vat) for the Veissman boiler which if we get it through our plumber we will pay the lower rate of vat because of the installation/labour. If your energy requirment is less they will be able to quote you in accordance. Up to now we were being quoted double digit numbers which were out of the question. Let me know what you think? Is it good value?? Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭towbar

We have also considered but more or less decided to put the bolier in the garage and leave enough space around it to replace with wood pellet if prices reduced\ more users in the market buts its oil for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Builderwoman,

I know that quote can be beaten who knows I may be banned for blatent advertising but you could try www.ecostoves.com

Goll anything but LPG trust me, it's very expensive, so expensive that even though I can buy at a better rate than most I took the LPG boiler out last week.

The number 1 item you need to make Pellet heating truly cost effecient is spend the extra money needed for a tank capable of holding 3.5 tonnes.

Don't believe the hype about the cheap fuel, it's only cheap if you buy loose pellet in bulk, minimum delivery 3 tonnes.

As full disclosure is always my policy, I own Eco Stoves and Boilers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

We are in the same position as yourself and we have FINALLY decided on using a pellet boiler or stove with boiler a number of times!!!
    The thing that keeps putting us off is the high cost of the boilers.
    Our house will be very well insulated and will have a low heat demand so we are considering LPG.
    We might be swayed back to the pellets if there is a favourable grant aid proposal for them in the forthcoming budget (there have been rumours that some type of assistance might be on the cards).
    The long and the short of it is that they are too bloody expensive without some type of subsidy
    An LPG boiler could be the best option for a low heat demand.
    You will have a kerosene boiler in place for approx €2000.00. If your insulation is as good as you say, you will get by easily with 1 fill per year.
    LPG ? :eek: :eek: :eek:
    Jim

Tinofapples, Our house is big so we need a 26kw wood pellet boiler and we were quoted 5600

I too wouldn't consider that a good price from my limited chat with suppliers. I went to Galway Gas (They stock EF-Thermo ) which we talked about approx 8/9 months ago. I think they are west of ireland agents for Celtic Flame. I think they quoted us about €4,000 for the bolier at the time and it's specs are :

50kg Hopper
    27 kWh (92,000 BTU) Total Output
    24.6 kWh (75,000 BTU) Water Heating Output
    2.4 kWh (7,000 BTU) Room Heating Output
    Over 90% efficient
    Weight 145kg
    Pressure and Water temp. gauges next to controls
    Built in pump and expansion tank (8 litre)
    In and out water pipes ¾”
    Optional wall thermostat
    Measurements: 90cm x 50cm x 50cm

It's useful to hear rooferPetes views bout putting in a 3.5 storage unit to facilitate bulk delivery.

Pete , what kinda storage is out there for such capacity ? Would a tank be needed ? How are they moved from Lorry to storage "tank" ? Piped or just dumped by a tipper ?

Cheers

Hi All,

I take all your points and agree most certainly now having researched and done the figures that we would have been crazy to install LPG.

Pete, thanks for tip off about ecostoves. I checked it out and note that you do not seem to do boilers only stoves?

Celtic Flame told me that their boiler (above) was not sufficient for our house area. While the price of the Veissman one does not seem to be as competitive as the one tin of apples quoted we are still considering it as we are already installing Veissman solar panels and if we go with their pellet boiler we can marry the two systems together.

I agree that bulk storage is the way to go and we have plenty of storage space available. Can you advise if balcas moisture levels and up to standard? Some pellet stove/boilers sellers say that they aren't? I would also be interested to know what kind of storage (in measurements) you would need to allow for 3.5 tonne storage please? Do you think a silo, tank or home made type holding unit in a dry storage shed is the way to go Pete? Would really appreciate your feedback Pete as you do know what your are talking about (unlike some selling pellet stoves and boilers and I have talked to plenty over the past week!!....no disrespect intended to the industry!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭charlesanto

Hi Builderwoman,

The web site has to be updated, in fact it's going to be a major update that will have loads of information on it ;)

As I have a policy of not discussing prices on line feel free to make contact should you wish, our boilers go up to 50 kw.

Hi tinofapples,

The storage tank is filled in much the same way that your oil tank is filled it is important to have a dry storage area or you can pay extra and get a tank suitable for external use.

Honestly if I had the space and the ability I would have no problem with building my own storage tank, the delivery truck has a connecter that fits on to your tank, it is necessary to have a vent to allow any dust or pressure from the fill to escape safely.

If the tank was built with a proper dividing wall between the storage and the boiler it would be very easy to fill the hopper of the boiler every week.

Please no more advertising I must repect the Boards.ie community policy and at the moment I reckon I'm in a darkening grey area.

Thanks Pete for the info, I for one really appreciate it. I hope that the Mods realise how valuable "experienced" advice really is. I am awaiting a call from my plumber to see if he will accept a wood pellet stove on free issue. If I am in the market for a boiler I will certainly give you a call. Do update your site.
    Thanks too for your thoughts on storage. They were exactly the same as ours but it is good to be reassured by someone who knows what they are talking about. Thanks again.

rooferPete , your a Topman !!

Gerkos came back to me. Boiler seems a lot cheaper but our plumber says he would not be recommending them on past experience... only you telling you what he told me! The Veissman boiler will be the one we will go with, this way we can integrate our solar with it and we will go with their heat recovery too as we can get a better package this way.

Thanks for all your help everyone. Hopefully we will have made the right heating decisions...I'm confident that wood pellet is the way to go.

Builderwoman,
    Boiler seems a lot cheaper but our plumber says he would not be recommending them on past experience

What would he not recommend exactly ? I'm lost.

Gerkros boilers in any shape or form. So he says anyway!

Hi Builderwoman,

You may be familiar with the old saying :

"Doctors differ and Patients Die" ?

I think it would be very difficult to knock a product that has only been launched, the company has a long standing manufacturing boilers for oil and solid fuel central heating systems in Ireland.

They are also the only boiler manufacturer who insisted we attend a training course on the boilers and they hold highest efficiency rate exceeding the SEI rules (which are out of date) so Gerkros comply with prEN14785 and EN13290 written for pellet fuel appliances.

Like ExtraFlame who also insist their approved installers visit the factory in Italy, become familiar with the manufacturing process, installation rules (not guidelines) and then you are accessed by written examination before receiving approval.

Gerkros can be every plumbers nightmare because they will sell to everyone who wants to buy, you can even install it yourself if you wish But ;)

The Gerkros system Must be commissioned by their trained installer to their standards, they even make that part easy by including the commissioning in the price.

The reason for the rules is they have a very good system built to a very high standard and the only feedback they want is positive, unlike so many others they are continuing there quality standards through to the home of their customer.

I have spent a long time choosing the products I will add my name to, I have frustrated companies in so many ways to see if they would break there own rules, out of all the manufacturers / suppliers Gerkros and ExtraFlame are the only ones who stood there ground.

I know Viessman manufacture good products, they were also part of my research.

Maybe I'm a fool or a perfectionist only time will tell but I am representing the two manufacturers where I receive the smallest profit margin but the fastest back up service I have ever seen ;).

Sorry I had to answer your post because I expect there will be many who visit calling into the improved web site.

Take your point Pete on Doctor's differing, but as I said I was only passing on what my plumber told me. As self builders we have to be guided too by the experience of the tradesmen we have employed. I can't comment further on the gerkros product.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Hi Rooferpete,

Its good to see you are on the eco friendly route with the wood pellet boilers, I thought old fossils like us, would depend too much on the fossil fuels.

Is it possible to see that Gerkros system in Dunboyne during the week, as I have heard some positive vibes on it, and I'd like to get up close and see for myself.
    I am thinking of a change over to a wood pellet stove system from my existing solid fuel/coal, but I have not found the one that would suit me at the moment. But from what Ive heard, Gerkros might fit the bill.

I tried to pm you, but maybe your recent computer troubles have trashed my messages and e-mails.

kadman

• Advertisement

Hi Kadman,

I thought the main computer was back up but it appears I had a temporary hard drive to get me through the week, I hope it's back tomorrow, I miss that noisy fan :) it's the old laptop for another day I hope.

I have four Gerkros Boilers coming in this week, three I know are just passing through, number 4 I hope to set up in the front office where you can touch it, feel it, take it apart (within limitations), Ok and clean up after yourself :)

Better again I could send you an email and you can come over and we can set it up together kinda give you a feel for the quality ;)

OK I get the free labour and you get a nice bottle of wine to bring home with ye, deal ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Hi Rooferpete,

I may just take you up on that offer, I'll gladly do the supervising....for a free bottle of plonk.

If you could post here when they arrive, in case there's still a problem over the e-mails, or give me a buzz on the oldbush telegraph, I'd appreciate it.

Kadman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 tcoen

Has anyone done research on buffer tanks / thermal stores. They are essential if you want to integrate wood pellet boilers and solar panels.
    solarenergyireland.com based in Sligo have done alot of work in this area.

Hi tcoen,

Yes I have looked into them and Rudiger does have a good plan but we must remember where he started, the most expensive part of any job he was selling after the solar panels were the thermal stores.

I admire the man because he was selling Solar Systems that actually worked long before even a tiny minority could see the future and they were very expensive back then.

A buffer tank, heat store, thermal store is an add on that can fitted with the Solar package at a better rate than it can be done with the pellet systems as the start up.

The reason being most of the Solar suppliers realise their system needs them to work properly so they have been the ground breakers and have the best prices when used as part of the package.

Solar energy Ireland had Solar systems performing way ahead of most peoples expectations because they knew there was more to a successful installation than another coil in the copper cylinder.

At the moment some people are doing there best to make the first move for general heat requirements using pellet fuel and appliances, I do offer the option and if the customer can't reach to it today provision is made for it in the future.

I decided to e-mail Dick Roche regarding the possibilty of grants being given to people who decide to install renewable alternative / energy systems.

What I sent ........
    Is there any sign of future incentive's by your government to
    introduce grants or funding towards the cost of alternative fuels which are less damaging to our environment ? Surely a government who is serious about cutting down carbon emission's should be trying to entice people to start getting away from burning traditional fuels and look to the future ?

I see across the border in Northern Ireland they offer :

£850 towards the cost of a Wood Pellet Room Heater i.e Stove
    40% of installed cost of 15-30kW Pellet Boiler capped @ £2000
    40% of installed cost of 31-100kW Pellet Boiler capped @ £5000

Have you any plans to introduce something similar and if not , why not ?

His responce .......
    Have you not read the press reports on the Budget? A whole raft of new grant arrangements for renewable alternative / energy systems were announced by Ministers Cowan & Dempsey.
    Dick Roche

Short and sweet eh ?? Has anyone heard anything in the budget about grants ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭patrido

i don't think there are any specifics yet. it seems to come under the energy dept rather than environment, which might explain roche's sulky reply.

http://www.dcmnr.gov.ie/Press+Releases/Minister+Dempsey+Welcomes+Major+Budget+Package+For+Renewable+Energy.htm
    Grants for House-holders: A grant aid package for the domestic sector which will allow for individual grants to install renewable energy technologies such as wood pellet boilers, solar panels and geothermal heat pumps.
    Minister Dempsey said that the measures he will be introducing early next year...

He always appeared a contrary f**k on the TV so I'm not surprised.

Here's hoping the can match/better the Northern Ireland grants.

Hi,

I heard one of Brian Cowen's "Planted Questions" on Pat Kenny the morning after the budget, he told the person who called that he had allocated some 65 Million Euro to Noel Dempsey's Dept for renewable energy.

Naturaly I was delighted to hear the news, from the questions I have asked to date it appears that the funds were already allocated to developers and builders of "Eco Houses".

I certainly will not be holding my breath for any grants or incentives that can be collected by the ordinary people of this country.

What is really annoying is the fact that the VAT element alone would cover most of the grants that the average person would find to be an incentive.

I suggest that anyone interested should keep a close eye on the SEI web site as they will want to be the first to announce the benefits if they ever arrive.

Another interesting piece of artistic manouvering was the announcement about the Bio Diesel not being subject to Excise Duty as an incentive to convert your diesel engine.

It turns out that you must buy your Bio Fuel from a very limited number of outlets and they have a limit as to the amount the can sell in any one year.

The amount is so small that one supplier can only sell what would be enough fuel to run (I think) less than twenty Articulated trucks for a year, the figures were quoted on an evening television programme aimed at the farming community Ear To The Ground ?

Please email all of your representitives from Councillors to T.D's, Ministers, even Bertie.

Maybe now would be a good time to start a campaign by sending the same email every morning until you get a positive reply ;)

I know from the enquiries we have been receiving since the web site went up that the people of this country will not be the one's to blame if big fines are handed down for breaking the agreement on emissions.

The people are more than willing to do their part by installing new or converting to new forms of energy to heat their homes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭patrido

in the uk, self builders are luke warm on the grants system, because they are required to use approved equipment and approved installers. these guys just put up their prices to absorb the grant money.

i'd expect the people most enthusiastic about this will be the alternative energy industry and the installers.

• Advertisement

Hi patrido,

I do believe that pessimists like you are the very people who are advising the Government Departments / Ministers.

I have been upfront about my association with the industry, I have yet to see who patrido is ?

But I see an attack which I do take personally about the industry in general, of course I wouldn't expect any less from a pessismistic anal retentive begrudger like you.

I take it you have actual facts and figures to back up your claim regarding the UK self builders ?

I take it you have actual facts and figures and figures as to the number involved in the renewable energy business in Ireland and exactly how much I and the other suppliers intend increasing our prices by should Grant assistance become available ?

Part of the reason Clear Skies (UK) insisted on Appoved Installers is to ensure the Government get value for money by Approved Systems being installed by Approved Installers in the business.

Another not so published reason is to ensure the Suppliers / Installers of the various systems are tax compliant businesses, every installation in the UK that is Grant Aided can be tracked and traced.

The appliances can be accuratley costed because they must be imported or manufactured in the UK, the cost of each appliance I import is available to the Revenue.

By putting a properly managed Grant System in place the revenue will be able to tell at a few clicks of a mouse exactly how much my turnover was for the preceeding year.

They will also be able to tell if I or any other supplier / installer has been taking advantage of the Grant System to increase the cost to the consumer just because a Grant is in place.

I welcome the accountability regardless of whether there is a Grant in place or not.

There is no point in trying to explain why to a person like you because your begruging nature prevents you from looking look after your own finances because you are too busy looking in other peoples pockets.

A bad day in my office is when we receive five enquiries and that is without any Grant in place, I will not sell pellet fuel stoves or boilers direct to any consumer to take away and try fitting themselves.

I have refused the cheques being written by the self installer because there is a lot more to installing the Correct Heating Appliance than the ability to carry it into your house.

The most liberal supplier I represent is Gerkros who will allow you to buy the system and install it, But they have their fail safe built in to prevent the product or consumer being abused and that is each appliance must be commissioned by one of their approved agents.

The cost of this service is built in to the price when you buy it regardless of who you buy it from, so I can sell to a person in Cork or Donegal but the local engineer must undertake the final commissioning.

The very same way as you can buy from anywhere in the country but I could possibly be called on to commission your system because you are local to me.

Perhaps if you take off the blinkers you may get to see there is value in the market place, all suppliers / installers are not the same and while a few might try to take advantage of any Grant that may be put in place they are the short sighted ones.

This Island of ours is too small and the today's consumer is well educated (except for a few who refuse to learn) so bumping the prices will be caught on to very fast and the word will spread very fast.

I have a Marketing Graduate as well as Heating Engineer on hand, the Marketing advisor has come up with two very interesting figures :

One good installation will at best reap five referrals (recommendations).

One bad installation will at the least be made known to twenty five potential customers.

An increase in the market will make it possible to enable us to at least hold today's prices into next year, maybe even a small reduction in price due to the economies of scale.

Yes there will be those who will try to take advantage of any grant system but take care with your generalities, I for one will certainly not be increasing prices because a grant is available.

Kind Regards,

Peter Crawley.

www.ecostoves.com

Advertisement