Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flying Ants plague Dublin!

Options
  • 27-07-2004 3:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭

What's with the sudden infestation by flying ants of our city this afternoon? I've never seen the like of it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

yeah they are everywhere.

Club must have just closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Protest at poor public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭beer enigma

All over Cork too.......war or the worlds :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

They just come out once a year as far as I know.

I remember a few years back the house that I was renting was infested with them, or at least the bathroom was. They used to crawl out from the corner of the bath beside the taps where it butted it against the wall. There was thousands of them. The whole side of the bath was covered in them. And after you'd clean them up grabbing handfuls at a time, you would come back an hour later and there would be just as many. Although I didn't have as many as my neighbour. Apparently there was so many in his bathroom that the whole shower tray and two sides of the shower enclosure were covered in the little feckers. And if that's not bad enough, they were dropping off the ceiling too!! Weird thing is that the infestation only lasted a couple of days!!

B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

could be the heat and humidity over the last couple of days, either that or they're just here on a short midweek break

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Yeah they only come out once a year, we have them in the path out the front of the house, they never come inside though. Its a pain in the ass walking in the gate for a day or two but I'm not going to kill them over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

I've been battling them in my house for last few days too. Thankfully they seem to be almost gone now. Just used that poison ant food stuff and it seems to have done the trick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

ah jaysus there everywhere!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Is it just me or is this problem getting worse...I cant remember it being a problem when I was young.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭beer enigma

If you have one of these on your car, you could always detach it & clear the ants !!

http://www.cnn.com/WORLD/africa/9812/11/flame.thrower.car/

JOHANNESBURG, South Africa (CNN) -- Crime-obsessed South Africans have a powerful new weapon with which to stop likely criminals: the car flamethrower.

Casting a man-high fireball, reportedly with no damage to the paint, the Blaster has been placed on 25 South African vehicles since its introduction last month.

At 3,900 rand ($655), it offers a cheap, dramatic defense against carjackers. It has yet to be deemed illegal.

South African courts allow killing if convinced that it's in self-defense. The defense is not unheard of. In last year's 13,000 carjackings, criminals often brandished weapons or used them with little provocation.

The Blaster squirts liquefied gas from a bottle in the automobile's trunk through two nozzles, located under the front doors. The gas is then ignited by an electric spark, with fiery consequences.

Both sides flame at the same time, regardless of whether the attack is coming from just one side of the vehicle, or whether passersby are on the other side. But the breadth and depth of blast can be modified according to individual preference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Yep, it's crazy. I thought the soil in my garden was moving, but it turns out there was just a gajillion ants.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

WHAT? I'm scared to leave work now!
    Can't see any out the window (i'm in the IFSC). Are they around the city centre?

Originally posted by eth0_
    WHAT? I'm scared to leave work now!
    Can't see any out the window (i'm in the IFSC). Are they around the city centre?

OH.
    MY
    GOD!
    THEY'RE EVERWHERE.
    QUICK, WE MUST FLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE !!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Send in the seagulls!!!

That's really weird, I just got off the phone to a friend and just out of the blue he said,
    "What's the story with all these bloody flying ants???"
    He was just after pulling into his driveway he noticed hundreds of the little feckers all over his and his neighbour's house. I never even mentioned it to him before he said anything.

And as my friend lives close enough to where I work, I just had a look out the window and sure enough there's a few flying ants on the cars outside!

B.

"And I for one, wecome our new ant-overlords and would just like to mention that as a well respected member of the community I would be useful rounding up people to work in their underground sugar caves"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

Not sure if anyone's interested, but the reason that they're "everywhere" is that it's mating season.

For ants, that is...

The queen has wings all the time (I think...). During mating season, the males grow wings. The queen, who's much stronger than the males, flies as high as possible. The males then all swarm after her, most of them dying along the way.

The strongest male is the one that catches her and has his way. Romantic, isn't it?

Don't try doing this with women in Temple Bar though, it tends not to work...

...Uhhh... Apparently...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

I can tell you it's not much fun cycling through them :D
    - even before I read Deathfunk's contribution:eek:

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I for one welcome our ant overlords! [1]

DeV.
    [1] YES!!! I never thought I'd seriously get that line in.... can anyone name the source (for, um, no points).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,147 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Originally posted by DeVore
    I for one welcome out ant overlords! [1]

DeV.
    [1] YES!!! I never thought I'd seriously get that line in.... can anyone name the source (for, um, no points).

Kent Brockman of course...

• Advertisement

Does that mean that all we have to do is look out for a fairly biggish ant flying around with a crown on her head being followed by a load of drone ants and kill her so this won't happen again?

Where's me gun???

LOL at Sleipnir!! :D

They just mentioned it on the news, so it must be a farily big invasion!

IT'S IN REVELATIONS PEOPLE!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I for one welcome our new insect ov....

Oh, it's already been done SEVERAL MILLION TIMES IN THIS VERY THREAD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Kenty Brockulator, Shelbyville News

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tazzle

A sure solution to dramatically reduce the mass swarming that can occur indoors. Hoover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

Don't worry i'm sure the un-natural surroundings of the IFSC will keep them at bay!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Yep, I cant go out the me garden without those lil cúnts surrounding me. And to top it all off I got lil puppy cúnts everywhere too (thank god they dont have wings ;D).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

You always get a few evenings around July and August when they all come out simultaneously everywhere. It is no real harm and it is only on 2 or 3 evenings in the whole year. Enjoy the spectacle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭fizzynicenice

little feckers just wont fúck off!!
    i'm gonna go ape shít with a million cans of raid and end the turmoil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭deecom

Bloody unreal those little sh1ts can not belive there are so many tbh.
    Hope the rain puts them off, or they go home.:)

Advertisement