Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mad Max: Fury Road

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,152 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Never watched the others but thought this was brilliant. Action, cinematography, sound track brilliant. Thought hardy and theron were great in their roles, really threw themselves into the characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

I was shattered leaving the cinema. It's two hours of wall to wall balls out bat sh1t craziness. I loved it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

This film was incredible. INCREDIBLE.

As an all-out actioner it could not have been done any better, like Roar I am shattered after seeing it. Amazing.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,167 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Yeah, believe the hype! Loved it.

Very annoying that the 2D version get's shunted into the smaller screens straight away to make way for 3D version though :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

What a film. I was going to use the term bat-sh1t craziness but I see it's already been taken a couple of posts above! It really is a rollercoaster ride to hell and back. It stays true to the spirit of the old films to a certain extent but at the same time it's completely fresh and all the better for that. There's just a sheer visceral madness about it, which audiences just don't see that much anymore.

I was amazed the running time was only 1 hr 40 mins because it felt much longer than that, and although that's normally a sign that a film drags too much, it was the opposite in this case... if that makes any sense at all haha.

I'd be curious to see what people made of Hardy's accent. I know he doesn't have that much dialogue but it sounded like an understated Bane accent with an Aussie twang. It just seemed a bit distracting or something. There wasn't much character development either as he is thrown right into the madness from the very start. I'd hope in the next film (if there is one) we find out more about him, especially those flashbacks with the girl which weren't explained at all, and which I found a bit frustrating.

But these are minor quibbles for me. I would 100 per cent go and see it again, and that's not something I'd say too often.

By the way, regarding it being shunted to the smaller screens in 2D, for anyone in Dublin it's on in 2D in Savoy screen 1...the only way to watch it! And with a minimum of ads and trailers, unlike Cineworld where you have to sit through 20 minutes of crap before you get to see the film.

Overall I think this is a stunning achievement from George Miller and I hope he gets the recognition he deserves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Just watched this tonight and wow what a movie. There is not many good movies these days being released in cinema but I can assure you folks that this is not one to be missed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Mechanical Clocktail

Deserves the praise, loads of fun. Never drags its feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Deisler

Mickeroo wrote: »

Very annoying that the 2D version get's shunted into the smaller screens straight away to make way for 3D version though :mad:

Savoy 1 showing 2d version I believe.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,167 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Deisler wrote: »
    Savoy 1 showing 2d version I believe.

I don't live in Dublin unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭fluke

Mickeroo wrote: »

You're telling me. I live in London, and it was a mission yesterday to find it in 2D at a reasonable evening time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Saw it last night and absolutely loved it. Haven't been as pumped up after leaving the cinema in years. It was absolutely bonkers, and so much fun. Really hope it does well, as this is the kind of action film we need to see more of.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Saw a morning screening of this yesterday. Not a die hard fan of the series as such. colleague in a previous job some 10 years ago insisted on my watching the films. The main thing that stood out for me from the previous film as a lack of explanation for how this particular future came about. I kind of let it ruin the experience for me on previous Mad Max encounter. I had hope to see something this time around, but was prepared to enjoy it, if it was not provided. I found it terrific, once I let go of that nugget. Feel a kind of responsibility now to revisit the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Jukebox Jim

Big fan of the originals and thought this was incredible. One of those rare times were a film completely blew away my expectations. Nearly lost it when that crazy electric guitar made its first appearance. Went to see it at the IMAX in Dublin and would love to watch it there again but won't be back in the city until next Saturday and I'm worried it'll have been moved out by then. Do movies usually go longer than one week in the IMAX or will Tomorrow Land push it out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Usually after the first week or so they just move it down to 1 or 2 showings a day.

Watched the original last night, pretty good nuts and bolts exploitation movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Great movie, completely crazy in parts which i loved.

The use of visual effects for so much of the movie really stood out for me, it looked so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Absolutely mental film with crazy, smile inducing action which is excellently directed. The vehicular carnage is a great watch but actually the highlight for me was Furiosa vs Max vs Nux. I also felt the ending was little flat probably due to the overall lack of a narrative arc. The plot, or what little plot there is, just fails to match up with the spectacle. But I would absolutely tell anyone to go see this, as it's thoroughly bonkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Just everything I wanted and more from a Mad Max film, great action piece after great action piece. Some of the most bizarre imagery you ever see and its completely bonkers, it never for once outstayed its welcome. Along with Whiplash Ex Machina and Kingsmen the best films of 2015 so far imo.

Tom Hardy I thought was excellent as Max and all of this talk about him been in supporting role was a little OTT, he's got plenty of screen time and he makes you forget Mel. Charlize Theron probably gives her best performance since Monster and her flagging career a boost, I see a action career awaiting her. Nicholas Hoult was excellent and
    His death was one of the more tragic parts of the film, after he found something to live for. He dies a glorious death
    . I thought the actresses playing the Five wives were very good in what they were given, especially Abbey Lee Kershaw as The Dag. I was massively surprised and shocked that
    Rosie Huntington-Whiteley was the one killed off so early and the only one to die

It's certainly a rival for Road Warrior, George Miller certainly has surpassed himself and you can see this film was made with love and care. I'm definitely going to see this again this time in 2D, along with the Raid films, and the recent John Wick. The Best action film in a long time, its seems to be a purple patch for great action cinema again.

My only criticism on it as others have mentioned is the fact that it has been pushed so hard in 3d everywhere.

It is not the only film guilty of using 3d incorrectly but i will give a synopsis of why the 2D version should be the only version out there.

1. The action is very fast paced with fast editing cuts, literally only seconds between shots. You cannot focus properly on the action in 3D with such fast cuts between shots. The first part of the Hobbit trilogy was very guilty of this sin with the Escape from the Goblin King scene in 3D being very quick shots, with fast paced action.

2. The 3D adds very little to the movie, yes there is some depth in the scenes but to me it does not look like a movie suited to 3D, as said by James Cameron and Ang Lee if you want a proper 3D movie the cinematography must be considered differently, you must consider the viewing experience and what is to be gained by the audience.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Simply one of the best action movies of all time. Go see it in the cinema immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Incredible. The first 15-20 minutes was just madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Saw it last night and I thought it was great. All out from the word go. I went to see the avengers a few weeks ago and that movie was loaded with action sequences too.......only problem was that they were GCI heavy and very boring. This was old school action film making and it was magnificent. Charlize theron is Briilant but oddly enough in a film named after his character, Tom hardys performance was very muted and lifeless. Mel Gibson I think was a better Max.
    I mean the film as a whole is basically a remake of mad max 2, but that's fine by me because mad max 2 was a whopper.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,161 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I would interject that this film and its action scenes are very, very CGI heavy. Even the colours have been subjected to aggressive computer manipulation, but the world itself is full of computerised flourishes and additions. I'd go as far as to suggest to say Miller embraces it to create something of a live action cartoon at times.

The difference is the film still has a sense of weight and physicality to it in spite of its abundance of CGI, in stark contrast to the more weightless CG spectacles that are now the norm. But to paint Mad Max as anything other than a very well considered CG-heavy spectacle is doing it a disservice - it is a film that uses technology to everybody's advantage, and most certainly is not a return to gritty, physical filmmaking (although some sequences certainly do fit that category thankfully).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Saw it today.

This isnt a movie, its a spectacle.

I cannot remember the last time I smiled so much while watching a non comedy movie, particularly one in the cinema.

Yes, there are faults. Hardy I thought was completely wooden as Max and was just going through the motions in his typical mumbley way,
    the scene near then end when going back through the canyon and the over pass was rebuilt exactly as it was before it was blown up the first time and where did the get the fuel for the war machine? The tanker was full of mothers milk but they were driving a 2000 horse power behemoth with seemingly endless fuel.

I know the above is just nit picking but it did irk me a little bit.

Never the less, its a tremendously fun film. Proper balls out, non stop action from start to finish. This is the kind of movie Id happily pay to see and it is deserving of a viewing in the cinema.

I got a massive kick
    when the chase started and the camera focused on the drummers only to pan around to yer man with a flame throwing electric guitar, BONKERS!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Seeing this on a proper IMAX screen later, I know its not an IMAX film or anything but im extremely pumped! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 74 ✭✭Just Be Yourself

Did they really have to make Charlize Theron as ugly as possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

The Half in the Bag guys LOVED it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Yup, that was.......that was quite the spectacle. A real thrill-ride, energetic and proper action cinema film meant to be seen on the big screen.

There was a knob who, from when he sat down before the screen came on for adverts right up to when Max escapes from his capture was on his phone playing a game, it flickering in the dark. Dickhead.

Anyways, the sequences were genuinely fantastic and plenty of times I went "woah" at the sheer kinetic energy and stunt work. There's a lot more CGI than I imagined but it's CGI used to compliment, not take over, the scenes (bar one or two glaring moments meant for 3D)

Theron owned the her role and was refreshing to see women be actually visceral and kicking the **** out of others intead of being background pieces, love interests, or using their sexuality to get ahead.

Hardy was OK, he came off very Bronson-like in this with his sporatic movements.

Glad to say its a Mad Max film with it's nutty world, characters and fantastic action that just keeps ramping up the stakes as they go on. The sandstorm scene is just tame in comparison to what follows. Excellently paced too, it just flies by without feeling too quick.

See it in the cinema while you can, it packs a hell of a punch!

Did they really have to make Charlize Theron as ugly as possible?
    She wanted to shave her head herself, as she thought it was needed to help buy into this character that needs to be better / stronger and able to compete with the guys. To be honest i think she looked the part for this movie, i didnt doubt her for a second in the role.

If you want to see Charlize Theron ugly, then go watch Monster.

To be honest the more i read about the production of this movie the more admiration i have for what was set out to achieve here.

According to IMDB

80% of the effects are practical effects

Movie was shot in sequence ( really rare these days)

The storyboard was made before the screenplay, with 5 artists and about 3500 panels ( reminds me of Jordowoskys Dune Project )

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Absolutely phenomenal film. Probably the best blockbuster I've seen since The Dark Knight Rises. The effects were out of this world. The only thing I didn't like was that Max didn't seem to be that central to the film's premise but that's a very minor niggle given how great the film was. I don't see Jurassic World or Genisys coming anywhere near this good.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Advertisement