Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NFL Gamepass blackouts. Will you be signing up?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭Raoul

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Where are you guys seeing that price? Was there an email?

https://www.nflgamepass.com/en/subscribe/account

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

No, had gamepass before but not buying it with blackouts, wil use sky
    A company called Neulion have ran the back-end since Gamepass started. They do MLB Network, WWE Network and others. I believe they've now been 'divorced' by NFL (based on another firm advertising for support roles for Game Pass recently and the fact that if you Google 'Neulion NFL Game Pass' you get linked to 2016 T&Cs referencing Neulion which if click into have had every mention of Neulion now removed).

I don't think the complete overhaul of their apps and interface is a coincidence.

It'll be interesting to see what this year's offering looks like.

I don't think Neulion do MLB.tv. They have their own crowd 'MLB Advanced Media' that do both theirs. They also do WWE's and recently took over NHL's from Neulion.

So It looks like Neulion have lost both the NFL and NHL streaming services in the past couple of years.

I don't know who's doing Gamepass going forward but the NFL could really do themselves a favour and get MLB AM to do it.

MLB.tv is a great product

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

It's in the FAQs.

On the new site or the old one? There's no reference to price on the FAQ on the new site. It also says that the apps won't be available until 1st August which is the day they rebill so I'm probably going to cancel that until I know what I'm getting for my money.

Scanning through the FAQ there's no mention of any console apps being featured any more (shame as the PS4 app was my preferred way of accessing replays of games because of the ease of being able to skip forward 30 seconds at a time if needed).

It suggests that Game Pass is now a European offering only (I was hoping to use it in Asia later in the year and have used it in Austrlian and the States in the past).

The FAQ also says that archived content is restricted to the 2016 season from now on.

Raoul wrote: »

Isn't showing up on the new site, just the old one.

• Advertisement

On the new site or the old one? There's no reference to price on the FAQ on the new site. It also says that the apps won't be available until 1st August which is the day they rebill so I'm probably going to cancel that until I know what I'm getting for my money.

Scanning through the FAQ there's no mention of any console apps being featured any more (shame as the PS4 app was my preferred way of accessing replays of games because of the ease of being able to skip forward 30 seconds at a time if needed).

It suggests that Game Pass is now a European offering only (I was hoping to use it in Asia later in the year and have used it in Austrlian and the States in the past).

The FAQ also says that archived content is restricted to the 2016 season from now on.

Sorry, not the FAQs but 'plans and pricing' at the bottom of the home page on the new site (IOS version anyway)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Wait, so have we lost all the archived games from pre-2016 or not?

Edit: Scratch that. Much like Boards, you can just to revert back to the old version of GamePass and the archived content is still there. The new design is horrible.

I think that's just temporary and suspect that once the migration to the new site is complete we'll lose access to that archived content. Hopefully I'm wrong.

From the new FAQs:
    You can watch archived games since the 2016 season, including preseason and playoffs, as well as select Super Bowl games featuring some of the best NFL action from classic matchups, all commercial-free.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

What benefit is it to them to stop people accessing archived games?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

What benefit is it to them to stop people accessing archived games?

they could decide to charge for it (depending on what's in the T&C's)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,033 ✭✭✭Guffy

they could decide to charge for it (depending on what's in the T&C's)

Or just the work involved in migrating it to the new platform?

Off the top of my head I'd guess that transferring all of that data to the servers of the company running the new site is quite a big task (and possibly expensive in terms of storing all that information???) for content that not many people access.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭Raoul

Or maybe Neulion own all the archived data and they want money for it from the NFL. Can't imagine that is the case though.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,438 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Or maybe Neulion own all the archived data and they want money for it from the NFL. Can't imagine that is the case though.

Well at the start of games it says "this telecast is the property of the NFL and can't be etc." I might have to turn off the autorenew as even if it costs less than previous years I want to see what I'm paying for first.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I doubt it, NFL will on the content, regardless of who is delivering it.

I would imagine its purely a data migration issue, and not in terms of complexity but just in terms of scale. 16 games per week in HD at 3 hours per broadcast, so probably 3-4GB per game, so say 70GB per week, over how many seasons? And then you have all of the other NFL stuff you can get on it

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

As long as we don't lose the live playoffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭tripperman

The way i read it all the archives will be there eventually, just been done in stages so as the new format is available for August, live playoffs I'm assuming they will stay as they are,

Update on the NFLUK forum

http://forum.nfluk.com/showthread.php?p=2336708#post2336708

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭BaronVon

No, had gamepass before but not buying it with blackouts, wil use streams
    Sweet, Android users finally getting downloadable content!

The new site looks quite nice to be fair. Hopefully the apps will be as good and will work smoothly.

I just hope the fiasco of the delay in getting the condensed games uploaded isn't repeated this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭BaronVon

No, had gamepass before but not buying it with blackouts, wil use streams
    When I go to log in, it says I have no subscription. I thought we were all subscribed up until July 31st, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Think I'll sign up for the first time this year. Seems like a great service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

They seem to have reset everyone's preference to auto renew... Best check incase you had turned it off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Brian017

How do you change your billing information on the new site? Mine says "no billing information available"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

BKWDR wrote: »
    They seem to have reset everyone's preference to auto renew... Best check incase you had turned it off

had just seen that too. I dont think I will be getting gamepass this year and had switched that off about a month ago. Fairly sneaky and underhanded to switch it back on again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Brian017 wrote: »
    How do you change your billing information on the new site? Mine says "no billing information available"

Looks like you're ok

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Brian017

BKWDR wrote: »
    Looks like you're ok

Thanks! Let's hope so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Megager

Hi all. Are there any discount codes this year. Obviously if I hear of any I'll post them too. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Given the reduction in price from last year, are there archives or live broadcasts being removed from the package?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,033 ✭✭✭Guffy

Given the reduction in price from last year, are there archives or live broadcasts being removed from the package?

Well the archives haven't been migrated as far as i know

Advertisement