Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your video game regrets.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

Walking into town last Friday to pick up Far Cry 3, only to realise that it's released this coming Friday :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

SeantheMan wrote: »
    I honestly don't know if this is sarcasm ?
    Elder scrolls games are only partly about the "main story" , the fun is in exploring the world and the hundreds of sidequests.
    And the reason there is no credits, is to allow your adventure to continue.

Given you spend 5 days playing the game, you got your moneys worth.

Not really, quality over quantity, 139 hours of superificial gaming is worth less than 40 hours of rich, rewarding gameplay. That said that was 139 hours distributed over 11 months so it wasn't a phenomenal waste of time. I play in a traditionalist sense, I'll do everything else before finishing off the main quest. Even if there wasn't any credit sequence there was no sense of completion, no one acknowledges you've saved their very existence. The guild quests were very one dimensional, unrewarding and unchallenging. Even collecting the 24 stones of Barenziah, complete let down, you can't even wear the crown. Or restoring the thieves guild to its former glory, just complete loads of fed ex quests, there wasn't anything rewarding narratively or in terms of the game world from that. Or any of the other quests. Completely 1 dimensional gaming. The old ways are better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Penn wrote: »
    If a carpenter spent 139 hours carefully whittling and carving a piece of timber and at the end, realised he'd carved a lollipop stick, I'm sure that would be a letdown too.
    If the carpenter did that, whose fault is it, his or the piece of timber?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

Skyrim - Was too overhyped for it. Tried for 50 hrs to get into it ( I KNOW) just couldn't. :(

Far Cry 2 - Drive here for 50 minutes

Dead Island - just lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Likewise for Skyrim, spent about 40 hours with hardly any of the story done before just giving up

Recent regret..

Playing Vanquish right before Mass Effect 3, cant help but compare the two on the battlefield and Vanquish is a million times better when it comes to fun gameplay. The first time a Mass Effect game has felt like a chore :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,904 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

One of my biggest regrets is going to the midnight launch of MW3

I had a rental copy kept and instead of being sensible, I thought screw it ill go play it at midnight.

So im out in the ****ing freezing night waiting for the shop to open and once its open the shop is quickly full to the brink. I was 1 hr waiting for a ****ing rental game

So finally I get home and put the game in the ps3 and

noooooo.jpg

Its an awful awful awful game

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

deathrider wrote: »

I'd imagine it is (although, I have to admit, I do get a bit of fun out of the second GAA Football game. The first one is pure muck though), but it's so bizzarre, I've just gotta get me a copy of it.
    I have the hurling game. It's not as terrible as the football ones but still amazingly terrible. Although it is a ps1 game in a ps2 case

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Toepoo wrote: »
    I have the hurling game. It's not as terrible as the football ones but still amazingly terrible. Although it is a ps1 game in a ps2 case

At this stage I'd actually be disappointed if the game was great! Lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Not so much a regret as being seriously pissed off that Borderlands 2 is already on sale. Last time I but a full price game on Steam that's for sure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

MagicSean wrote: »
    Not so much a regret as being seriously pissed off that Borderlands 2 is already on sale. Last time I but a full price game on Steam that's for sure.

remember kids, steam sales are good for pc gaming

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

agh, I've downloaded Moonpath to Elsweyr and I can't stop playing, damn you Skyrim, damn you to hell!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    There was a second GAA football game?

That genuinely shocks me, given who god-awful the first one was.

I worked in a videogame shop when that was released, and for a while it came in bundles with the PS2. A few weeks after launch, we still had the GAA bundles left over, and couldn't move them for love nor money - even though they were, by then, a tenner cheaper than the machine on its own.

In effect, we literally could not pay people to take it away.

Still, oddly giddying to see the words "Lough Lene Gaels" on a PS2 game menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

Penn wrote: »
    If a carpenter spent 139 hours carefully whittling and carving a piece of timber and at the end, realised he'd carved a lollipop stick, I'm sure that would be a letdown too.

That reminds me I need to up my lollipop whitling skill in skyrim!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I worked in a videogame shop when that was released, and for a while it came in bundles with the PS2. A few weeks after launch, we still had the GAA bundles left over, and couldn't move them for love nor money - even though they were, by then, a tenner cheaper than the machine on its own.

In effect, we literally could not pay people to take it away.

Still, oddly giddying to see the words "Lough Lene Gaels" on a PS2 game menu.

I remember those bundles, I was working in HMV at the time the GAA games came out, we got rakes of them back after that Christmas, either because they were sh1te and people claimed the "oh I got one already for xmas" or I had sympathy on anyone who got one as a gift and let them exchange it for something good :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Starting MGS4 !!!

I never got around to it...now have some time...so said I'd start.

Started ACT2 today.
    30 mins of a cutscene on a plane at the start, then 10 mins of the most boring mission in any MGS game ever (tailing some guy on European streets) .....now another 30+mins of cutscenes that's goin on as I type this.
    Big Momma takes snake to see big boss...he's being kept alive in the back of a van ?!?!?!?!....seriously...what kind of security **** is this ?!

How did this game get amazing reviews ? Even the gameplay is meh....the stealth isn't great. The enemies are stupid. Eugh....this game is a chore.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,860 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Been saying it for years. The combination of it being one of the few big PS3 exclusives at the time, the hype at the time and the fanboys keep the game in high praise. Just wait until the awful last boss, a disgrace in a game already full of terrible bosses.

At least the critical tide is turning, retronauts talked about it a few months back, Jeremy parish was regretting the high score he gave and said it was a bit of a turd.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Assassins Creed: Rogue - Despite all the flak the series gets, I really enjoy it. Rogue was supposed to be one of the good ones, but a reskinned Black Flag with a terrible Irish accent wasn't my idea of fun. I may go back to it, but I've played and completed every AC game (inc the PSP, iOS versions....) and this is the only one I couldn't get through.

Arkham Origins and Arkham Knight - Mainly Origins as it just wasn't great. Knight for the PC issues. I'm sure I'd enjoy it a lot more on a console.

Bioshock Infinite - I'll get flayed for this, but it just wasn't as compelling as the previous two. I didn't like the new setting, it was too linear, Elizabeth was kind of pointless as an AI character. The DLC was pretty good though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Starting MGS4 !!!

I never got around to it...now have some time...so said I'd start.

Started ACT2 today.
    30 mins of a cutscene on a plane at the start, then 10 mins of the most boring mission in any MGS game ever (tailing some guy on European streets) .....now another 30+mins of cutscenes that's goin on as I type this.
    Big Momma takes snake to see big boss...he's being kept alive in the back of a van ?!?!?!?!....seriously...what kind of security **** is this ?!

How did this game get amazing reviews ? Even the gameplay is meh....the stealth isn't great. The enemies are stupid. Eugh....this game is a chore.

I've been playing it as well. I'm just a little bit on from you. It is fúcking terrible. I've got the boss fight for
    Vamp
    and I'm ready to call it quits because it is such a pain in the arse. The cut scenes are absolutely woeful shíte altogether. I fell asleep during one of them,

Should I just ditch this and play Ground Zeros and Phantom Pain instead or are they just as bad as this?

If you want stealth games that are enjoyable to play, you should try out Splinter Cell: Blacklist and Volume. Played both of them recently and really had great fun with both.

chrislad wrote: »
    Bioshock Infinite - I'll get flayed for this, but it just wasn't as compelling as the previous two. I didn't like the new setting, it was too linear, Elizabeth was kind of pointless as an AI character. The DLC was pretty good though.

I think that would be the general consensus for most people around here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,860 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Should I just ditch this and play Ground Zeros and Phantom Pain instead or are they just as bad as this?

The story is utter ****e but both those games really concentrate on the gameplay systems which are excellent. Well worth playing even if the story is daft.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The story is utter ****e but both those games really concentrate on the gameplay systems which are excellent. Well worth playing even if the story is daft.

I think I might call it a day on MGS4 and play them instead then. It really is baffling how well respected that game was when it came out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Getting into Black Desert Online ... for 50 quid. My guild was all into it, then stopped pretty much straight away after I bought it. Plus ... Korean.

Paying full price for No Man's Sky (not a preorder, but still).

Never actually playing the Quake series at the time when it was released (it was in that generational gap where I hadn't the PC to run it, and the next one was a step ahead).

Never playing TIE Fighter (loved X-Wing).

Missing a load of good content in GW2 by taking a year out.

They're not massive regrets, but at least mild ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

My biggest regret was buying the Amstrad CPC 464 over the commodore 64. All my friends had commodores so there was no way to swap games.

I think I might call it a day on MGS4 and play them instead then. It really is baffling how well respected that game was when it came out.

I know and I felt like the crazy one screaming about how awful it was. there's a good game there, the first and second chapters have good gameplay but they last maybe 10 minutes if you take the cutscenes out. After that it's rancid. Also they took out all the quirky gadgets to play around with so messing around with the guards is way less fun. there's hundreds of weapons but they are all functionally the same rather than previous games were each weapon tier has a variety of functions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,534 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

chrislad wrote: »
    Assassins Creed: Rogue - Despite all the flak the series gets, I really enjoy it. Rogue was supposed to be one of the good ones, but a reskinned Black Flag with a terrible Irish accent wasn't my idea of fun. I may go back to it, but I've played and completed every AC game (inc the PSP, iOS versions....) and this is the only one I couldn't get through.

Probably should have called it Assassins Creed: Brogue!

The story and visuals were lovely, but Elizabeth was no where near the character the trailers and teasers had led us to believe.
    She ended up just bringing ammo and the occasional power up, as well as reveal cover and attach points.

I'd go so far as to say the story in Bioshock Inifinite was rubbish as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

That game changed a lot in development & seemed to fall over the line. Wasn't there a thing about trying to limit times Elizabeth uses her powers, that you'd travel to the past instead of seeing it & you never actually fight Songbird either.
    That part where you pick the pendant of the dove or cage which leads to nothing was probably something dropped too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

Biggest regret for me was buying Oblivion on release. I'd probably sunk over 1000 hours into Morrowind and was really looking forward to the new Elder Scrolls game. What a disappointment. It basically felt like an arcade game rather than the open world rpg I was looking forward to and the story was a tremendous letdown. i completed it and tossed it in my closet.
    Hardware wise I've always been pretty happy with my purchases. Even with the PSP (Monster Hunter, Disgaea 2 and Breath of Fire 3 were great diversions on long journeys). I've always been predominantly a PC player since the old Amiga 500.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,534 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'll have to agree to disagree, I really enjoyed it and the voice cast were pretty great. It was probably part of the problem, with the story relying so heavily then on linear gameplay and lots of scripted scenes.
    At least the bloody thing didn't go fullon Killzone and look brown and green!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

Not buying a Gamecube..
    Gamewise,many years being a staunch FPS player and ignoring other genres..particularly rpgs and 3rd person action games..
    I have remedied this over the last few years

Advertisement