Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos That Shook The World (Contains graphic images, may cause distress)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

El Siglo wrote: »
    US leaving Vietnam with their tail between their legs.
    I meant about the dropping of the Chinooks?

Surely that would have been such a waste of resources and a blow to the economy?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

I meant about the dropping of the Chinooks?

Surely that would have been such a waste of resources and a blow to the economy?

No I thought that too but there's some story behind it about saving space or something like that. Besides, it's the US they can afford it after how much they blew in that war.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

marilyn-monroe-20050822-64329.jpg

Marilyn_Monroe_Dead_-_New_York_Daily_News__Monday__August_6__1962.jpg

Marilyndeathbed.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

CCCP^ wrote: »
    Patrice Lumumba - the first democractically elected Prime Minister of the Republic of Congo circa late 1950s - 60s - murdered by the CIA, because people in Africa can't be allowed to take their fate into their own hands.
    lumumba.jpg

I don't know anything about this. What's your source regarding Lumumba and the CIA?
    Thermobaric Weapon - first pioneered by the Soviet's in Afghanistan and later in Checnya, this weapon works by sucking the air from people's bodies, thereby crushing their bodies, organs and skeletons and incinerating their remains. The picture seen here is of a Thermobaric weapon being used in Afghanistan by British forces.
    thermobaric.jpg

Are you sure that that's a thermobaric bomb? Looks to me like a GBU Paveway bomb. Designed to penetrate bunkers and destroy the aircraft underneath. I first thought Iraq (Gulf War 1990-1)
    testicle wrote: »
    The US Army are doing the dragging here (Nam)

WPF+1966.jpg

AFAIK they were dragging him to be buried, but dragging nevertheless.
    What exactly does that mean, if you don't mind me asking?

There was no space on the aircraft carrier for incoming helicopters's from Saigon and no space for the civilians/personnel beneath decks so helo's had to be dumped.

• Advertisement

This photo quite literally nearly shook the world to it's very end. The closest the world has ever come to World War III was to due to this photo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuban_Missile_Crisis

U-2 reconnaissance photograph of Soviet nuclear missiles in Cuba. Transports and tents for fueling and maintenance.

Cuban%20Missile%20Site.jpg

cuban-missle-crisis-ff.jpg

cuban-missile-crisis_l.jpg

fronts.gif

image086.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

prinz wrote: »
    Hatred by the Israelis can also be justified if you live in a place that comes under constant rocket and suicide attacks. Justification depends on who you are. That girl there could be born and raised in a town where people are armed all day everyday, where you go to school by armoured convoy etc. She doesn't know the rights and wrongs of the big picture. Murder and terrorism can be understoon by not justified and condoned.

Very odd. Also the fact that wearing a tshirt with a communist revolutionary is fashionable, wearing a tshirt with a fascist revolutionary's face not quite so cool. I won't understand that.

Right, the link to this pic quite clearly indicates it is a picture of the after effects of the Union Cardbide disaster in Bhopal, India. Nothing to do with Iraq.

http://www.bhopal.com/

Again, my bad. Sorry about that.

There are pictures that are definetly taken in Iraq that we can be assured are associated with the use of DU weapons by the US, but I'm not going to post them here, because they are extremely distressing. I've seen alot of horrible stuff but those pictures are the stuff of nightmares. Anyone who wants to check them out, do so yourself :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

I know its been posted before but for me the pictures of the Hiroshima & Nagasaki bombings symbolise the two biggest moments of inhumanity in human history perpetrated by the "Good guys'.

NG30.jpg

Munich Air Disaster

munichaircrash.jpg

On a much lighter note, these pictures are only 'World Shaking' on a personal level & for United fans (Sorry, I got a bit carried away) :rolleyes:

GD7361988@Manchester-United-pla-5230.preview.jpg
    076giggs_468x604.jpg

& Finally the biggest fake of them all...

JESUS.JPG

...here's the only true GOD!

emp-192139.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Smau5

CCCP^ wrote: »
    1960s - The Civil Rights Movement in America - the owner of this Hotel and it's Swimming Pool, incensed by black kid's in a white-only place, pours Hydrochorlic Acid into the pool to get them out.
    staug6.jpg

SCUMBAG!

It's horrible how people can treat others like infertile dirt and get away with it.
    Throwing acid may be a thing of the past but racism and discrimination isn't and never will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

Half of this thread should be called "Photos I happen to like" especially all the football ones....shook the world my ar$e :mad:

The other half of the thread is ace though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

This is Venus photographed against the Sun.
    Venus is roughly the same size as the Earth.
    Amazed me at how Big the Sun is and how small we all actually are.

venus_sun2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

keefg wrote: »
    Half of this thread should be called "Photos I happen to like" especially all the football ones....shook the world my ar$e :mad:

The other half of the thread is ace though.

That's your opinion but it's an incredibly subjective thing.

There are very few pictures on here that are completely universal to everyone, I recall someone asking 'who's this guy?' after a picture of Che Guevara. Just because its not a 'World Shaking' picture for that person doesn't mean it isn't for others. I also think that many of the sporting pictures bring a lot of joy to people which is in stark contrast to pretty much everything else on here.

I don't think that you can deny that these photos, posted already, haven't genuinely "shook the world"

Colombian footballer Andrés Escobar is murdered following his own goal at the 1994 world cup finals.
    untitled.bmp

Hillsborough
    a-hillsborough-disaster-football-1.jpg

Munich Air Disaster
    munichaircrash.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,251 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

foxyboxer wrote: »
    This is Venus photographed against the Sun.
    Venus is roughly the same size as the Earth.
    Amazed me at how Big the Sun is and how small we all actually are.

venus_sun2.jpg

Nice pic.

Remember though that Venus's average distance from the sun is 67.2 million miles (108 million km) so this wouldn't be a true representation of the two sizes.

our%20solar%20system%20-%20banner.jpg

And

planet-size-solar-system-sun.jpg

...will give you an idea.

And just to add this pic, the largest star know is VY Canis Majoris compared to our own Sun.

800px-Sun_and_VY_Canis_Majoris_svg.png

Anyway, I'll throw in this pic of Anne Frank

annefrankkl2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

1936olympics2_gallery__371x550.jpg

conrad_schumann1249733199.jpg

bolt.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

The_Edge wrote: »
    Nice pic.

Remember though that Venus's average distance from the sun is 67.2 million miles (108 million km) so this wouldn't be a true representation of the two sizes.

our%20solar%20system%20-%20banner.jpg

And

planet-size-solar-system-sun.jpg

...will give you an idea.

And just to add this pic, the largest star know is VY Canis Majoris compared to our own Sun.

And its still freezing!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Something seems a bit wrong with Hitler sightseeing...
    It is one of the most perplexing things about him, looked so damn normal and killed so many.

hitler.jpg

hitler-eiffel-tower.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Another photo from Columbine

E484A29CBB68440488445A152054A27B-800.jpg

Does anyone have any idea what the photo below is? I have no idea how to even go about looking into the background of it. It is a National Geographic photo.

84D04042ED9D4093AF4842750F93D1B4-500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Queen-Mise wrote: »

Does anyone have any idea what the photo below is? I have no idea how to even go about looking into the background of it. It is a National Geographic photo.

http://photography.nationalgeographic.com/photography/enlarge/chinese-dungeon_pod_image.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

german invasion of crete
    the first large scale paratroop attack and invasion
    they went in with only pistols,their rifles etc... were dropped sepratly.
    first time a civilan population whole heartdly went after the invaders
    crete_german_para2.jpg
    crete-003.jpg

D Day
    D-Day-paratroopers.jpg
    operation markt garden
    mg1.jpg

some years later
    turkish invasion of cyprus
    d_03.jpg

the first shocked the world at the time.
    the seconnd lead the way to the winning blow in the war
    the third was a shock because of its scale....and failure
    the forth was probly the last invasion of its kind. due to the amount kia and mia on crete. theirs doubt any large scale ones will ever take place again. and the americans brits learned how costly it can be in operation market garden

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Here's two pictures of the dog Laika in preparation for space travel.
    Laika-space.jpg

laika_wideweb__470x3780.jpg

It's actually a really nice dog!:D

This is the infamous Liberty Bell 7 which Gus Grissom bailed out from.
    Solder_Grissom-helicopter.jpg

Here's one of Neil Armstrong stepping on the moon.
    neil_armstrong_first_step_moon.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Terry Cotta

Migrant Mother - Californian farmworker during the depression. She had just sold the tent she lived in and her car tyres to feed her seven children.

dorothea-lange-migrant-mother-ver1a.jpg

A 19-year old woman and her two year old goddaughter fall five stories when the fire escape collapses during an apartment fire.

tumblr_kqg976KtzH1qzr5exo1_400.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

That last one's hard to look at. Anyone know if they survived it?

Blisterman wrote: »

http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/Stanley+Forman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

I think the child survived. The adult died however. It's a horrible moment captured. Anywhow...

American carpet bombing of suspected VC and NVA supply routes in Vietnam. Those aren't lakes in the picture.
    0001225.jpg

French soldier shot as men move forward circa 1914-18, WW1.
    french%2Bsoldier.jpg

Tsar Bomba - the most powerful nuclear weapon ever used, detonated by Russia near Sibera/Arctic region.
    picture.php?albumid=69&pictureid=1113

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭jazzy_jeff

* Year 1975
    * Photographer Stanley Forman
    * Nationality USA
    * Organization / Publication Boston Herald
    * Category World Press Photo of the Year
    * Prize World Press Photo of the Year
    * Date 22-07-1975
    * Country USA
    * Place Boston
    * A mother and her daughter are hurled off a collapsing fire-escape in an apartment house fire. Together with a fire-fighter, they waited for the rescue ladder to reach them. As the fire-fighter climbed onto the ladder, the fire-escape collapsed under their feet and they fell to the ground five floors below. The woman was killed but the child survived, her fall cushioned by the woman's body.

http://www.archive.worldpressphoto.org/search/layout/result/indeling/detailwpp/form/wpp/q/ishoofdafbeelding/true/trefwoord/year/1975

Looks like a few got there before me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

Not exactly world-shaking, but I still find them interesting.

15th December 2000: Engineer Sergey Bashtovoi turns a switch that shuts down Reactor No. 3, the last operating reactor at the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant.

_1072529_ap300engineer.jpg

Employees of the plant watch the shutdown.

attachment.php?attachmentid=97661&stc=1&d=1259612166

attachment.php?attachmentid=97660&stc=1&d=1259612166

A wreath is placed on top of the reactor.

attachment.php?attachmentid=97659&stc=1&d=1259611589

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Bigdeadlydave

signing-the-anglo-irish-treaty-1922-426x317.jpg
    The signing of the Anglo Irish treaty on 6th December 1921

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

cd_china2sm.jpg

above, a photograph from the 1995 BBC documetary called 'The Dying Rooms'. This really shook my world. It wasn't caused by famine or war, it was as a result of China's 'one child' policy.

see clip below (some disturbing images)

http://www.unmadeinchina.org/galleria.asp?lang=en&idPag=206

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

cd_china2sm.jpg

above, a photograph from the 1995 BBC documetary called 'The Dying Rooms'. This really shook my world. It wasn't caused by famine or war, it was as a result of China's 'one child' policy.

see clip below (some disturbing images)

http://www.unmadeinchina.org/galleria.asp?lang=en&idPag=206

Jesus....that's one of the most heartbreaking things I've ever seen. :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Great Train Robber turned playboy Ronnie Biggs
    ronniebiggs.jpg

Steve Irwin
    stevea.jpg

Advertisement