Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would anyone prefer if you could pay road tax monthly?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭dowlingm

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    Currently my motor tax is. Yearly €673

Half yearly @55.5% = €373 which works out at €746 per year
    Quarterly @28.25% = €190 which works out at €760 per year
    Introduce monthly dd payments say @10% = 67.30 which works out at €807.60 per year.

Its not something that would make me that happy because it means i pay more but it would make my life easier and its probably the only thing the government would even consider.
    Presumably this is a 1.8L standard assessed car per the motor tax assessment table. So basically you're borrowing money from the government but paying 20% over above the nominal amount, which in APR terms must be getting on for a bit more than that since it's a decreasing balance. 704 Eur for 2 halfyearly payments is 10% over the nominal amount. I just checked the credit union in my home town and their APR is 9.4pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,719 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

n97 mini wrote: »
    Also not being an ass, but I don't understand why people driving 1.9L cars for social and leisure purposes complain about road tax rather than downsize.

Because downsizing may not be practical depending on the usage.

If you do any sort of commuting a diesel is an essential and unless you can afford a newer post-08 car (which most people who are affected by the high tax can't) your default choice will be something from the VW stable in 1.9 TDI form.

This issue is then further compounded by virtue of the fact that the government in its infinite wisdom decided to incentivise people to trade-up by offering cheaper tax (generally) on the newer cars. Of course this was supposedly to save the trees or whatever but the reality is it was to keep SIMI and its members happy - hence why when people DID exactly what they were asked, and tax revenues went down because everyone went and bought BMW 520D's for €156 tax, the government then pushed THOSE rates up too :rolleyes:

To make things still worse it has led to a situation where older and generally better cars are now worthless because they don't qualify for "de cheap tax" now demanded by the average Irish motorist (leaving aside the nonsense of spending 40k to save 300 a year on tax...).

It's also leading to mechanical problems as diesels are meant to be driven, not pottering around on the school run or down to the corner shop for milk - hence expensive engine issues when filters get clogged up etc

Bottom line for the owner of an "old" car then is they're being shafted from all sides.. the value of the car has dropped like a stone, the cost of taxing it has gone up, and because nobody wants it without them taking a significant hit on it, they're forced to cut corners on servicing etc so they can keep it on the road month to month.

I actually dread buying a "newer" car in years to come because of all this!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

n97 mini wrote:
    Also not being an ass, but I don't understand why people driving 1.9L cars for social and leisure purposes complain about road tax rather than downsize.
    Kaiser2000 wrote: »

If you do any sort of commuting

OP doesn't do any commuting. I'm talking about people buying cars they can't afford to tax when there was a cheaper alternative. E.g. 1.9 Octavia vs 1.4 Octavia.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭SeanW

OP doesn't do any commuting. I'm talking about people buying cars they can't afford to tax when there was a cheaper alternative. E.g. 1.9 Octavia vs 1.4 Octavia.
    That is simply not true.

When I bought my current car, the annual road tax was €614, and since I had cash at the time, I paid it annually the first two years. But between the massive increases in road tax since then and the fact that I now have to pay it 3 monthly, I've seen an effective increase in that to €800! an increase of almost €200 for nothing, in just that one tax alone. So I'm bloody well within my rights to complain about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

Some Diesels would be around 1.9 as standard..

I drive a diesel car, now you could turn around and say buy a new diesel motor which would be around 1.6 or less even.

No, There is nothing wrong with my 2002 car I cant justify buying a post 2008 diesel car for less tax

And also, a ~1.4 litre Petrol car would not suit me for my driving needs.

Do you drive n97mini? If so what car, year and litre?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Pay your tax only three months in advance or six months rather than the full year in advance; you pay a premium. Don't pay it at all and then pay the backtax; no extra charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭SeanW

No Pants wrote: »
    Pay your tax only three months in advance or six months rather than the full year in advance; you pay a premium. Don't pay it at all and then pay the backtax; no extra charge.
    They're taking that away too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Nemeses wrote: »
    And also, a ~1.4 litre Petrol car would not suit me for my driving needs.
    You don't say why.
    Nemeses wrote: »
    Do you drive n97mini? If so what car, year and litre?
    Yep, 2004, 1.3 petrol saloon. Would love something bigger/faster, but I can't justify the costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Actually why cant they just do it digitally - ie the cop scans/presses in your reg and gets its details from the Database - doesnt sound difficult.

Exactly, and why not simply scan the plates on major routes. Have a few mobile vans to do likewise. All this printing and processing of paper discs is ridiculous. Has any other country got rid of them?

TBH its just another tax so should be rolled up into fuel taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

beauf wrote: »
    All this printing and processing of paper discs is ridiculous. Has any other country got rid of them?

Yes, Norway. From last year. It was never a paper disc though, rather a sticker on the registration plate. There was also never (afaik) a need to display insurance or (the equivalent of) NCT discs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Trhiggy83

Kaiser2000 wrote: »

If you do any sort of commuting a diesel is an essential and unless you can afford a newer post-08 car (which most people who are affected by the high tax can't) your default choice will be something from the VW stable in 1.9 TDI form.

This issue is then further compounded by virtue of the fact that the government in its infinite wisdom decided to incentivise people to trade-up by offering cheaper tax (generally) on the newer cars. Of course this was supposedly to save the trees or whatever but the reality is it was to keep SIMI and its members happy - hence why when people DID exactly what they were asked, and tax revenues went down because everyone went and bought BMW 520D's for €156 tax, the government then pushed THOSE rates up too :rolleyes:

To make things still worse it has led to a situation where older and generally better cars are now worthless because they don't qualify for "de cheap tax" now demanded by the average Irish motorist (leaving aside the nonsense of spending 40k to save 300 a year on tax...).

It's also leading to mechanical problems as diesels are meant to be driven, not pottering around on the school run or down to the corner shop for milk - hence expensive engine issues when filters get clogged up etc

Bottom line for the owner of an "old" car then is they're being shafted from all sides.. the value of the car has dropped like a stone, the cost of taxing it has gone up, and because nobody wants it without them taking a significant hit on it, they're forced to cut corners on servicing etc so they can keep it on the road month to month.

I actually dread buying a "newer" car in years to come because of all this!

You hit the nail on the head with that post, we are being shafted from all angles if you have a pre 08 car, it ridiculous. the only option left is to drive what you have regardless of how much the tax costs. This country is gonna get worse before it gets better afterall we need to keep the pot full to keep paying politicians pensions and overpaid public sector salaries

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭dowlingm

beauf wrote: »
    TBH its just another tax so should be rolled up into fuel taxes.
    Which will be avoided by going across the border and/or fuel laundering.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Op. What do you need your car for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

dowlingm wrote: »
    Which will be avoided by going across the border and/or fuel laundering.

Its not like that doesn't happen already.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/8m-fuel-laundering-plant-found-in-monaghan-1.1402556

I wonder how much it costs to print all those discs and how much more income would be gained if cars could be scanned electronically than by having Garda checking them.

Advertisement