Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Formula 1 2014: Round 14 - Singapore Grand Prix

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Zcott wrote: »
    Hamilton's title to lose. He has the momentum at the moment and will carry it forward.

150 points still on the board, plus he has used an extra engine over Nico after the fire. I've a feeling it'll be reliability that'll decide this, something out of the hands of the drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Rosberg might be shrewd in his ways but I think Hamilton is close to mentally breaking him.

Going to be a good finish between them all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Gillespy

The Mercedes is too fragile to make any call on who's going to win. If they were bulletproof here on out you would back Hamilton to finish in front of Rosberg every time. But then there is the double points race at the end to add to the mix.

Hamilton has shown great resilience and fight all year to keep coming back. This is only the second time he has lead the championship. Rosberg needs another Monaco. A win and something to rattle Hamilton. Saying that, Spa was that chance and it backfired badly on him. Hamilton turned that around brilliantly and looks to have his measure now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭Infoanon

vectra wrote: »
    Rosberg might be shrewd in his ways but I think Hamilton is close to mentally breaking him.

Going to be a good finish between them all the same.

Don't buy in to the Sky F1 nonsense,some of the coverage over the weekend was insulting to viewers intelligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I liked the Singapore race, I think it's one circuit that looks good on TV and is good at conveying the speed of F1 cars, they look much faster on this track than they do on any other track.

I was really hoping Ferrari were going to be able to put up a better fight, I was expecting more from Alonso but it's just one of those tracks where you have to be lucky with the inevitable safety car.

I hope Merc can fix they're reliability issues, as it stands both drivers have suffered enough and now that it's level again neither can complain about reliability costing them a championship. It should be a case of may the best man win for the rest of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭vectra

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    How is that Psychology degree coming along Vectra :rolleyes:

Packed it in.
    Almost drove me mad :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

Infoanon wrote: »
    Don't buy in to the Sky F1 nonsense,some of the coverage over the weekend whole year was insulting to viewers intelligence.

FTFY

ScumLord wrote: »
    I was really hoping Ferrari were going to be able to put up a better fight, I was expecting more from Alonso but it's just one of those tracks where you have to be lucky with the inevitable safety car.

I don't think Alonso can complain too much on that count.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 GerSmith

Gillespy wrote: »
    Rosberg needs another Monaco. A win and something to rattle Hamilton.

You mean an 'unintentional' lockup to force HAM out of pole contention and parade around in 1st on a tight circuit? :P

I joke.... I Agree to an extent, but HAM keeps coming back it seems. There's little evidence in my mind to suggest that if reliability wasn't an issue that Rosberg would outdo Hamilton on a consistent basis. I know skyf1 and the british media kiss his A$$ but Hamilton just seems to have the edge on pace over the course of a season.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,842 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Infoanon wrote: »
    Don't buy in to the Sky F1 nonsense,some of the coverage over the weekend was insulting to viewers intelligence.

You might as well learn German and watch RTL's coverage. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Gillespy

GerSmith wrote: »
    You mean an 'unintentional' lockup to force HAM out of pole contention and parade around in 1st on a tight circuit? :P

I joke.... I Agree to an extent, but HAM keeps coming back it seems. There's little evidence in my mind to suggest that if reliability wasn't an issue that Rosberg would outdo Hamilton on a consistent basis. I know skyf1 and the british media kiss his A$$ but Hamilton just seems to have the edge on pace over the course of a season.
    There isn't. Anyone that does see it usually begin by saying Hamilton is the better driver but because they don't like him for some reason Rosberg has the edge.

Mercedes would love the believe that Rosberg is on par with him so they can have them on the same money. Interesting that Nikki Lauda said Hamilton was worth the money. I wonder what's going on with his contract. One thing in his favour now is the booing Rosberg is getting. Mercedes won't like that. If he cops it in Texas especially. If they want to believe it's only Hamilton fans well that another sign he is worth a bigger contract. The main one though is that next year they won't have the advantage they have now so will need his pace and race craft even more. It's crazy to think Rosberg has only one more win than Ricciardo, in a car that had no winter testing.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I cant watch the F1 coverage its borderline insulting. The BBC isn't far behind in all fairness.
    I watched the Australian coverage once, now that's dire. They seemed to take a commercial break every time there was some action in the race.

Gillespy wrote: »
    It's crazy to think Rosberg has only one more win than Ricciardo, in a car that had no winter testing.

I actually had to double take when they mentioned in coverage that Rosberg had only won 4 races this season. When you put it into perspective, it's pretty poor given the machinery at hand, plus his really good run of reliability up until the recent race.

Myrddin wrote: »
    I actually had to double take when they mentioned in coverage that Rosberg had only won 4 races this season. When you put it into perspective, it's pretty poor given the machinery at hand, plus his really good run of reliability up until the recent race.

To put it in perspective Ricciardo's wins were due to:

Canada, Nico - energy problems cause less power to rosberg's car (HAM retired)
    Hungary [ARGUABLY], lewis held up rosberg who was on a different tyre strategy
    Belgium - well, will we even go there? lol

Don't get me wrong, Ricciardo won fair and square. But at the same time, was it due to a proper dog fight with the mercs? not so much IMO. As far as the Bulls V Mercs, Hungary is probably as outright as it gets.

But my god, mercs aside ricciardo drove some awesome races with some INSANE overtakes to get there. All of them seemed to be in the last 3rd of the race too! He's a class driver and looks to be a really genuine dude..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

But my god, mercs aside ricciardo drove some awesome races with some INSANE overtakes to get there. All of them seemed to be in the last 3rd of the race too! He's a class driver and looks to be a really genuine dude..
    Yep, of the other top drivers on the grid folk have problems with all of them. Kimi - uninterested, Alonso - Cranky, Hamilton - Toolbag, Vettel - finger wagging German, but Ricciardo - happy!
    Could he finally be the all-people's champion? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭christy c

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    Could he finally be the all-people's champion? :P

Wait till he starts winning championships, then he'll be the Australian git with the goofy smile :)

christy c wrote: »
    Wait till he starts winning championships, then he'll be the Australian git with the goofy smile :)

Beats the German Brat with the pointy finger...

Beats the German Brat with the pointy finger...

You're missing my point, no matter how well a driver is liked, once they start winning people's opinion will change

Not mine personally. Huge Schumacher fan. Always was and will be. I would never have an issue with Ricciardo winning.
    Don't want to turn this thread into a 'Sebastian Vettel Debate' but I never was nor will be a fan of him, pre and post world championship winning era.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Not mine personally. Huge Schumacher fan. Always was and will be. I would never have an issue with Ricciardo winning.
    Don't want to turn this thread into a 'Sebastian Vettel Debate' but I never was nor will be a fan of him, pre and post world championship winning era.
    I wasn't a Schumacher fan for the first few years, but then became one after transitioning from admirer of his talent to just outright joining the fan camp!
    To think I shouted for Hill instead! I was young then though... that's my excuse!

• Advertisement

I'm talking in general, you're talking about your personal opinion on particular drivers. Using Ric as an example, if he were to dominate like Vettel did for the next four years, there would be a noticeable shift in public opinion

I understand your point of view. But I would add that I do not think the shift would be a similar shift to way Vettel's dominance was received. I believe Ricciardo's potential dominance would be rather well received actually.

I don't think it will ever come to that. World Championship potential? Yes. Absolutely. But I don't think red bull will experience the type of 'vettel success' during his tenure there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭andyman

To put it in perspective Ricciardo's wins were due to:

Canada, Nico - energy problems cause less power to rosberg's car (HAM retired)
    Hungary [ARGUABLY], lewis held up rosberg who was on a different tyre strategy
    Belgium - well, will we even go there? lol

Don't get me wrong, Ricciardo won fair and square. But at the same time, was it due to a proper dog fight with the mercs? not so much IMO. As far as the Bulls V Mercs, Hungary is probably as outright as it gets.

No argument. Rosberg couldn't get close to Hamilton.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭Oblomov

MERCEDES AMG F1 @MercedesAMGF1 · 18h
    Forensic analysis has revealed that the steering column electronic circuits were contaminated with a foreign substance

The result was an intermittent short circuit in the electronic circuits meaning @nico_rosberg could not command clutch or engine settings

Fresh parts will be used at the forthcoming races. Our hard work on reliability processes will continue at the same intensive level

To clarify, the contaminant was a substance used in normal pre-event servicing of the component. #NotAConspiracy :)

And how did the "contamination" get from the "factory" and into the steering wheel assembly, which was changed... in the pit lane.. appeared to have only been present in the two for Rosberg's car?

Or, did IT crawl under the door, locked... paec ferme... and make ITs way into the steering wheel.... Feeling lonely? Cold? feeling lost and alone in a strange land.

No prizes for the correct guess. Got to ask how IT is carried, tube, aerosol, can, syringe???

Oblomov wrote: »
    MERCEDES AMG F1 @MercedesAMGF1 · 18h
    Forensic analysis has revealed that the steering column electronic circuits were contaminated with a foreign substance

The result was an intermittent short circuit in the electronic circuits meaning @nico_rosberg could not command clutch or engine settings

Fresh parts will be used at the forthcoming races. Our hard work on reliability processes will continue at the same intensive level

To clarify, the contaminant was a substance used in normal pre-event servicing of the component. #NotAConspiracy :)

And how did the "contamination" get from the "factory" and into the steering wheel assembly, which was changed... in the pit lane.. appeared to have only been present in the two for Rosberg's car?

Or, did IT crawl under the door, locked... paec ferme... and make ITs way into the steering wheel.... Feeling lonely? Cold? feeling lost and alone in a strange land.

No prizes for the correct guess. Got to ask how IT is carried, tube, aerosol, can, syringe???

Same reason only Lewis's brake disc exploded, same reason only Lewis's car erupted into flames, same reason only Lewis's car failed in AUS. This isn't a job for Mulder & Scully, but instead, is the reality that these are prototype cars being pushed all the time.

If the steering wheel goes into a socket and a very tiny piece of rubber got into that socket, then the wheels jammed down on top of it so it's stuck into the contacts it could cause an intermittent fault. Changing the wheel wouldn't correct the problem as it's jammed into the contacts of the cars steering column. It's something that would be highly unlikely and not obvious at first and may never happen again.

I'm not saying that's what happened but on a complicated piece of bespoke machinery like an F1 car there are thousands of possible faults waiting to surprise engineers. No matter how much time and money they spend testing things there's always going to be some unexpected problem pop up in the real world.

Same reason only Lewis's brake disc exploded,

ROFL...

Each car was running different make discs.

ROFL...

Each car was running different make discs.

Yeah, you'd imagine if there was a conspiracy they'd at least put the faulty parts in one car and not both, wouldn't you? Sorry but any notion that there's a conspiracy here is utter nonsense.

All that reads very nicely but the official Mercedes AMG Peteronas tweet clearly does not reinforce your argument.

The steering wheel assembly has a flexi lead that connects to a multi pin loom plug.

The design of the socket and plug housings dictate that both parts are correctly aligned before contact and full engagement. The latest type has a slide that engages and pulls the two parts together as the slide is pressed in.

The wording "foreign substance" used in pre event servicing ... would be ok, but in two units.

I don't think so

• Advertisement

I don't think so

Tell us what you do think :)

Advertisement