Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

updedeise wrote: »
    I really want to get an i phone 4 but have to stay on meteor . What is the best way to do this ?? Anyone ??

Buy a sim free iPhone 4 off apple €600 or adverts.ie

Or buy a second hand jailbroke/unlocked phone

• Registered Users Posts: 42 karljd

Jakmeehan wrote: »
    1. Run Sn0wBreeze. Point it at a *stock* 4.1 ipsw, follow instructions.

2. Put your iphone in DFU mode.

3. Run iTunes (it will tell you there is an iPhone connected in recovery mode) and ctrl-click restore. Point it at the *custom* ipsw you just made with Sn0wBreeze. It should be on your desktop.

4. When it is completed, run cydia on your iPhone and let it refresh etc etc. Install ultrasn0w.
    Thank you jakmeehan(and everyone else for advise)your a lifesaver.took a few tries but got it eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

lads any idea when ill be able to have an untethered jailbreak of my iphone 4 , running on 4.2.1?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Lads have a few questions regarding jail breaking etc I have an Iphone4 networked locked to 3.
    Q,1 If you jail brake an Iphone can it sucomb to a virus as i have been told.
    Q,2 When you jail break it does that mean you can also unlock it from the network.
    Q,3 I updated to the lasted firmware on the apple site 4.02 I think it is:o what happens if I was to jailbreak the phone would I lose my apps and music? I use a nokia at the moment so i am used to backing up the files before updating is the Iphone the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Jakmeehan

Lads have a few questions regarding jail breaking etc I have an Iphone4 networked locked to 3.
    Q,1 If you jail brake an Iphone can it sucomb to a virus as i have been told.
    Q,2 When you jail break it does that mean you can also unlock it from the network.
    Q,3 I updated to the lasted firmware on the apple site 4.02 I think it is:o what happens if I was to jailbreak the phone would I lose my apps and music? I use a nokia at the moment so i am used to backing up the files before updating is the Iphone the same.
    1. Absolutely not.

2. The unlock depends on the baseband version you're on. If you are on any iOS past 4.0.2 you cannot unlock at the moment.

3. Although it is recommended to backup your phone before jailbreaking as a precaution, none of your data will be touched. All your apps, music, photos etc will remain intact. It will be exactly as it was before, just jailbroken :)

If you are on iOS 4.2.1 then it will be a tethered jailbreak, meaning you will need to connect the iPhone to a PC everytime you need to boot it.

Cheers for that jakmeehan the firmware is actually 4.2.1 so if/when a jail break is released for the above version does it mean everytime I connect the phone to just say the apple store I will have to jail break it again.

Cheers for that jakmeehan the firmware is actually 4.2.1 so if/when a jail break is released for the above version does it mean everytime I connect the phone to just say the apple store I will have to jail break it again.
    A jailbreak for 4.2.1 is already released but, as I said, it is tethered at the moment.

What this means is that every time, for whatever reason, the phone is turned off you will have to connect it to a PC to turn it back on.

A jailbreak for 4.2.1 is already released but, as I said, it is tethered at the moment.

What this means is that every time, for whatever reason, the phone is turned off you will have to connect it to a PC to turn it back on.

Jaysus think I might wait for a version to come out that does not need to be connected to a PC everytime you power off the device.:eek:
    Would there be many people doing that sort of jail break imagine your getting a flight and the phone has to be powered off and you dont have a PC with you and cannot use the airplane mode.

Jaysus think I might wait for a version to come out that does not need to be connected to a PC everytime you power off the device.:eek:
    Would there be many people doing that sort of jail break imagine your getting a flight and the phone has to be powered off and you dont have a PC with you and cannot use the airplane mode.
    Yeah it'd be a pain in the balls alright! I'm waiting for the untethered version too.

You could restore to 4.1 and have an untethered jailbreak though. But you would need to do that as quickly as possible. Apple are still signing that version but could stop signing it at *any* moment. Are you familiar with SHSH blobs?

In any case, you should run a program called "tinyumbrella" now. This will save your SHSH blobs so you can restore to 4.1 at any time, even if apple aren't signing it anymore.

Excuse the ignorance I havent a clue what SHSH blobs is:o the tinyumberella I presume is a firmware/patch update.:confused:

• Advertisement

Excuse the ignorance I havent a clue what SHSH blobs is:o the tinyumberella I presume is a firmware/patch update.:confused:
    When you save your SHSH (Signature HaSH) blob for a particular firmware, say 4.1, it means that you will always be able to restore to that firmware, in this example 4.1, even when apple no longer allow you to do this. Usually apple do not allow you to downgrade after they release a new firmware version, but because you have your 4.1 blobs "on file" you can downgrade to 4.1 at any time.

Tinyumbrella is the program the saves your SHSH blobs for you. All you have to do is connect your iPhone to your PC, run tinyumbrella and press "save SHSH"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Apple are still signing that version but could stop signing it at *any* moment.

That stopped on Tuesday, I ran into it myself. If you try now you'll get the usual error. Overcome by using the host file for cydia so long as you have your blobs.

Not a fan of the tethered jailbreak, this one is poor as each time you need to run redsnow (on PC) load the firmware file, follow the DFU mode steps and cross your fingers that it will boot, rinse and repeat until it does. :rolleyes:

Also, beware the 3GS unlockers on the iPad baseband. I've been reading about loss of GPS functionality on dev-teams blog.

Won't be long, hold out on 4.1 if you can. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Hi all,

I'm planning on buying a new iPhone on 4.1

Can someone confirm that it's possible to unlock this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

Hey guys I've been trying to read up on all the threads that are already there but I am a bit confused. First of all it seems some basebands of the iPhone 4 can or cannot be unlocked yet.

So if I was to buy an iPhone 4 on bill pay from Vodafone now what software or baseband would it be and is it possible to unlock this?

Basically all I want is to use it on pre pay as many people here do, you know the story but can you help my severe lack of knowledge and confusion is the question? Haha thanks in advance, any help much appreciated cheers!! ;)

Well anyone got a quick answer for me on this?? Thanks in advance :)

Well anyone got a quick answer for me on this?? Thanks in advance :)
    Probably be on iOS 4.1, bb 02.xx.xx. Not unlockable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Probably be on iOS 4.1, bb 02.xx.xx. Not unlockable.

Presume the same goes for me if I buy a new iPhone 4 locked to 3?

jamieh wrote: »
    Presume the same goes for me if I buy a new iPhone 4 locked to 3?
    Thats right. If you have spent around €150 credit with them they will unlock it for you tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

Quick question, since my problems with my iphone 3gs yesterday and the day before, the internet doesnt seem to be working on it, wifi is grand tho. Im pretty sure i've the proper settings in. There was no problem with the internet before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭moggser

Have you tried your apn settings everytime you mess with the phone
    the apn settings are wiped

put them back in and that should be you

• Advertisement

ya i put them back in

APN wap.meteor.ie
    username my
    password wap

they right?

The one that works for me me is

data.mymeteor.ie
    my
    meteor

That worked, cheers for that moggser!

EDIT: My wifi was on, those settings didnt work for me :(
    anyone else have other settings?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Swopper guy

so can i purches an iphone 4 in US and unlock ????

Have you got your data turned on in the settings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Have blobs saved for 3.1, and 4.0. Still on 4.0 jailbroken and would like to upgrade to 4.2 jailbreak. Last jailbroke using the Safari website. What should I do?

• Advertisement

moggser wrote: »
    Have you got your data turned on in the settings

Yup I have indeed. Few days ago i accidently updated to latest software and then tried a few diff software to downgrade it and somewho ended up with the 06.15.00 modem firmware, would that be anything got to do with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 neegee

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    No doubt there will be numerous threads on this subject, so I thought I would pre-empt them and create a sticky.

Can I use my Vodafone/Meteor/Three SIM in an iPhone purchased from a mobile carrier?

No. Not until you Jailbreak it and Unlock it.

It is important to note that some Irish carriers are now unlocking iPhones officially - please consult your carrier for more info.

I purchased my iPhone directly from Apple. Is it unlocked?

Yes. iPhones purchased from Apple.ie or from Apple stores are factory unlocked.

Jailbreak? Unlock? Sounds scary.

They are not really. iClarified have a jailbreak wizard to show you step-by-step how to jailbreak any device here.

What's the difference between Jailbreaking and iPhone and unlocking it?

Jailbreaking entails allowing you to install non-App Store programs. Unlocking it entails allowing you to use the iPhone on any GSM network.

Can't I just buy an unlocked phone?

You can, but only directly from Apple or authorised Apple retailers (or on adverts.ie / eBay). It is simply a matter of walking into a phone shop and purchasing one, bringing it home, and popping in your SIM card. You cannot purchased unlocked iPhones in the USA, as they are locked to AT&T.

How do I unlock my iPhone?

If your carrier will not unlock your phone officially, then you will need to jailbreak & unlock.

See the unlocking wizard on iClarified here. The iPhone 4 can be unlocked using the info in this post.

Can I buy a phone in the US and use it over here?

It is not possible to purchase a US iPhone without signing up to a contract. You can unlock a US AT&T-locked iPhone using the info above.

In Summary

Currently, all iOS devices on older firmware can be jailbroken using http://jailbreakme.com.

For iPhone/iPod touch, the 4.0.2 and 4.1 firmware cannot yet be jailbroken.

For iPad, the 3.2.2 firmware cannot yet be jailbroken.

Unlocking can be carried out by following instructions here or here (iPhone 4).

Feel free to add to this as you see fit.

I really want to get an iphone but not sure seein as on google it says you need wireless internet such as (eircom or B.T ...) so can i use the internet on an iphone just like any other phone without wireless home internet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Ya don't need wifi to get an iPhone. All the bill pay plans have a data package

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Relentleslee

Hey guys, don't suppose there has been any update whether an iphone 4 on 4.1 with a 02.10.04 is any closer to being unlocked? I read awhile back it was being worked on...

Hey guys, don't suppose there has been any update whether an iphone 4 on 4.1 with a 02.10.04 is any closer to being unlocked? I read awhile back it was being worked on...
    It is continuously being worked on, but is not finished yet... You can follow some of these for updates:

iPhone Dev Team

MuscleNerd

Sherif Hashim

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Relentleslee

It is continuously being worked on, but is not finished yet... You can follow some of these for updates:

iPhone Dev Team

MuscleNerd

Sherif Hashim

Cool, Thanks :D Wasn't exactly sure where to find out the exact people who are involved with the jailbreaks, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Lads, looking for a bit of help. I'm a bit of a beginner with this unlocking/jailbreaking stuff :)

I have a 3G running 4.0 and baseband 05.14.02. The phone is jailbroken and I have a Cydia icon.
    I want to unlock it. All help greatly appreciated :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Lads, looking for a bit of help. I'm a bit of a beginner with this unlocking/jailbreaking stuff :)

I have a 3G running 4.0 and baseband 05.14.02. The phone is jailbroken and I have a Cydia icon.
    I want to unlock it. All help greatly appreciated :)

Ultrasn0w should, go to Cydia, sources, manage, add, then put in repo666.ultrasn0w.com then install that. Should work on 4.0

Ultrasn0w should, go to Cydia, sources, manage, add, then put in repo666.ultrasn0w.com then install that. Should work on 4.0

Cheers Graham. I'll try that when I get home.

I have a 3gs, blobs saved for 3.1(and up to 4.0), last jailbroken using the Safarai web browser on the iPhone method.

I have ultrasnOw so i don't want to lose it.

Baseband 05.12.04

I want to upgrade to 4.1, 4.2 or 4.2.1 but I don't want the tethered unlock.

What firmware should I go for (assuming I want to keep ultrasn0w and not tether)? What programme should I use?

Hi Graham,
    I have done that but when I put in the sim it just continuously searches for the network. Any other ideas?

dmcg90 wrote: »
    I have a 3gs, blobs saved for 3.1(and up to 4.0), last jailbroken using the Safarai web browser on the iPhone method.

I have ultrasnOw so i don't want to lose it.

Baseband 05.12.04

I want to upgrade to 4.1, 4.2 or 4.2.1 but I don't want the tethered unlock.

What firmware should I go for (assuming I want to keep ultrasn0w and not tether)? What programme should I use?
    is it jailbroken at the moment, if so ya could use snowbreeze to create a custom ipsw and restore to that, if ya saved the shsh with cydia ya should have 4.1 and the rest
    Hi Graham,
    I have done that but when I put in the sim it just continuously searches for the network. Any other ideas?
    did ya go to the repo afterwards and then install the ultrasn0w package

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Hi Graham,
    It wouldn't work for me on 4.1 but I thought it worked on 4.0.

Try re-install it? Once it's re-installed, does it come up "Could not access Mobile Data Network" or something like that? That popped up on 4.1 for me and I assumed that was why it didn't work for me.

Twas for my old 3GS but I just convinced my girlfriend to change to Vodafone so she could use it :o

guil wrote: »
    is it jailbroken at the moment, if so ya could use snowbreeze to create a custom ipsw and restore to that, if ya saved the shsh with cydia ya should have 4.1 and the rest

Why would I do a custom ISPW, I don't see the point, I don't understand snowbreeze at all

I don't understand that last sentence either. Sorry.

dmcg90 wrote: »
    Why would I do a custom ISPW, I don't see the point, I don't understand snowbreeze at all

I don't understand that last sentence either. Sorry.
    if ya dont have shsh the only firmware ya can restore to now is 4.2.1
    to unlock that with ultrasn0w ya have to update the baseband to 06.15.00
    its the ipad baseband but ya will never be able to restore in itunes unless the iphone baseband goes higher than 06.15.00, only custom ipsw's will work
    the second bit about shsh, how did ya save it, if it was in cydia ya should have them for the newer firmwares aswell

• Advertisement

did ya go to the repo afterwards and then install the ultrasn0w package

Where is the repo?

Where is the repo?
    start cydia, tap manage then sources, tap edit and then add
    type ''repo666.ultrasn0w.com'' without the ''
    make sure ya put a 0 and not o
    tap add source, when its finished scroll down to the repo and tap it, go to ultrasn0w and install it, restart the iphone and ya should be good

Hi guil,

Thanks for the help.
    I have got as far as "add source".
    I'm now on the sources menu where under the heading "Entered by User" I have Hackulo and repo666.ultrasn0w.com
    If I press the repo I then have a screen with ultrasn0w on it with a green 'tick' beside it.

Is this what I should have?

yeah that means its installed, have ya tried turning it on and off

Ye I'v tried it. When I put in the sim at the top left it just says "searching".

Just to confirm....version is 4.0 (8A293) and the firmware is 05.14.02

it should work, why did ya downgrade from 4.1

guil wrote: »
    it should work, why did ya downgrade from 4.1

I bought it from someone. He told me he couldn't unlock it until they release it. Dont know why he downgraded. :confused:

just go back to ultrasnow and see what version it is, 1.1 wont work for 05.14.02
    ya need 1.2

It's version 1.2

Is there anything silly im not doing :confused:

It just says "searching" at top left of screen. Is that what it normally says when its still locked?

Appreciate the help guil.

• Advertisement

just to be sure go to settings>carrier, is it set to automatic, try picking the new operator ya want to use

Advertisement