Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pats accused of under inflating game balls against the Colts (MOD WARNING #457)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Some people need a life, seriously...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,363 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

People are telling them to accept the punishment and move on, but I want this to continue to see what other excuses they come up with. The deflator/weight loss and 1m40s to take a p*ss excuses are hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Oat23 wrote: »
    People are telling them to accept the punishment and move on, but I want this to continue to see what other excuses they come up with. The deflator/weight loss and 1m40s to take a p*ss excuses are hilarious.
    Do you not get what is going on. They are showing that it is 'more probable than not' than this is what was really going on. If you read their version of events first then it would be hard to change your mind on what actually happened.

This is just an exercise in lawyer reports. It's a message to the NFL that they will lose this if it goes to a court of law. At least that is what I'm reading between the lines here.
    I expect them to appeal the punishments now and they've strongly indicated that they are not going to take this lying down and that it is likely to go further if their appeal is not successful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 929 ✭✭✭JCTO

DecStone wrote: »
    Is she involved too?

Probably more than not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭DecStone

JCTO wrote: »
    Probably more than not

I thought so - all those Immaculate Receptions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭NotYourYear20

You find all the excuses you could possibly want, in the work of fiction that is the Wells report. Certainly is an entertaining read, if fantasy is your thing of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭NotYourYear20

JCTO wrote: »
    As someone who has used NFL footballs I am telling you the amount of PSI that was missing from the Pats footballs would do very little for ball security. I have talked with a lot of coaches and players and most agree whether they like the Pats that it played no role in ball security. How you drill players and coach players has a bigger affect. Even NFL Backs get sloppy when it comes to ball security.

No scientific reason put behind the accusation other than someone running numbers saying the numbers make it look like it helped. If anyone buys into it they should really go and buy a Real NFL football and pump it up to 12.5 carry it around then deflate it it to 10.whatever and see if it makes a difference. I can tell you it doesn't.

Bah humbug. The last thing this thread needs, is someone who played and coaches football pointing out the nonsense & footballing irrelevance of this entire affair. The lack of 'thanks' your post received says a lot imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 929 ✭✭✭JCTO

Whatever about the weight loss comments which I find hilarious. Is 1m 40 enough time to also deflate 12 footballs though? Who knows why he really went in there but 1m 40 seems like record time to both take a p1ss or to deflate footballs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

@adbrandt
    Per source with knowledge of matter, Roger Goodell will be hearing officer for Tom Brady appeal.

Wow you can't make this sh1t up. He initially punishes them, then on appeal he becomes the independent arbitrator...this is pure lunacy.

He's had a dozen chances to nip this in the bud before it continues to spiral out of control. Up next is a lawsuit from one of the most prominent owners in the league against the league.

#integrity

@JasonLaCanfora

Roger Goodell himself hearing the appeal of Tom Brady's case virtually assures a court case

@NEPD_Loyko
    The quicker Goodell hears this case and upholds the suspension. The quicker this thing can get into the courts.

• Advertisement

That a joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

The NFL, a great bunch of lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Can you get an extra game ban for a frivolous appeal like you can in soccer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Are they appealing the findings of the report, or the punishment?

Looks like it was a strategic move by the NFL: have Troy Vincent give out the punishment so it leaves Goodell free to handle the appeal. The Supreme Court has already said its impossible for Goodell as Commissioner to be independent.

Its so sickening that we can't get a fair trail. I have a feeling Goodell will drop the suspension to 2 games and slightly drop the team's punishment but if the appeal was seen by a truly independent arbitrator, the suspension would be completely dropped and the team's punishment would be dropped significantly to just a slap on the wrist.

I think Brady and Kraft need to take this to the courts regardless of the outcome of the appeal because we know it won't be fair.

How are the NFL so corrupt and they still get away with it? Its disgusting that we love the game so much that we can't stop watching to hurt the NFL where it matters to them, the bottom line. TBH this is the first time i have actually considered to stop watching the NFL, how l realistic that is, is probably not that great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Hazys wrote: »
    Its so sickening that we can't get a fair trail. I have a feeling Goodell will drop the suspension to 2 games and slightly drop the team's punishment but if the appeal was seen by a truly independent arbitrator, the suspension would be completely dropped and the team's punishment would be dropped significantly to just a slap on the wrist.

Ha! Behave! The Pats are guilty as sin.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Ha! Behave! The Pats are guilty as sin.

Stop trolling brah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Stop trolling brah

No no, it said in the totally independent report that Brady 100% totally, unequivocally, must have, possibly, sort of known that possibly, maybe there might have been some inclination of someone in the huge Patriots organization possibly doing something which may or may not have broken the rules, all based on unbiased reports from neutral referees who took exceptional care to ensure that every detail was as vague as possible with different readings, no control to study , no pregame readings, no immediate readings from the Colts balls etc. etc.

Now you take your medicine and don't be whinging.

The Supreme Court has already said its impossible for Goodell as Commissioner to be independent.

Are you referring to the Missouri Supreme Court ruling? Because that only applies in the State of Missouri - specifically the St Louis Rams and the Kansas City Chiefs - and would not apply to this instance.

Are you referring to the Missouri Supreme Court ruling? Because that only applies in the State of Missouri - specifically the St Louis Rams and the Kansas City Chiefs - and would not apply to this instance.
    Yeah but they'll say it again if Tom Brady goes to the Supreme Court about it.

• Advertisement

So the NFLPA's first appeal letter is out. It starts out saying that the fact that Troy Vincent handled the punishment is in violation of the CBA. They also mention other reasons why this is a violation of the CBA.

They have told the NFL in the letter that there will be a court case before the appeal. It's a very confidently and aggressively written letter which makes me believe that the suspension will be lifted.

And it's also quite clear that Goodell will not be hearing the appeal as the NFLPA won't have it.

Here is its for anybody who wants to read it.

https://nflpaweb.blob.core.windows.net/media/Default/PDFs/Media%20Resources/Brady_Appeal_Letter.pdf

eagle eye wrote: »
    Yeah but they'll say it again if Tom Brady goes to the Supreme Court about it.

Which Supreme Court are you referring to? Each State has its own Supreme Court. This is NOT the federal US Supreme Court that ruled here - it was the State of Missouri's Supreme Court.

Which Supreme Court are you referring to? Each State has its own Supreme Court. This is NOT the federal US Supreme Court that ruled here - it was the State of Missouri's Supreme Court.
    Whichever one they choose as the precedent is there.

It doesn't seem to matter anyways, if the NFL are in violation of the CBA then it's all gone anyways.

DDC1990 wrote: »
    , no control to study , no pregame readings, no immediate readings from the Colts balls etc. etc.

Wells report give these details:
    During the pre-game inspection, [Referee Walt] Anderson determined that all but two of the
    Patriots game balls delivered by McNally were properly inflated. Most of them
    measured 12.5 psi. Two tested below 12.5 psi and Anderson directed another
    game official to further inflate those two game balls, which Anderson then
    adjusted to 12.5 psi using a pressure gauge. Most of the Colts game balls tested
    by Anderson prior to the game measured 13.0 or 13.1 psi. Although one or two
    footballs may have registered 12.8 or 12.9 psi, it was evident to Anderson that the
    Colts‟ inflation target for the game balls was 13.0 psi.
    When Anderson and other members of the officiating crew were preparing to
    leave the Officials Locker Room to head to the field for the start of the game, the
    game balls could not be located. It was the first time in Anderson‟s nineteen
    years as an NFL official that he could not locate the game balls at the start of a
    game. Unknown to Anderson, and without Anderson‟s permission or the
    permission of any other member of the officiating crew, McNally had taken the
    balls from the Officials Locker Room towards the playing field. According to
    Anderson and other members of the officiating crew for the AFC Championship
    Game, the removal of the game balls from the Officials Locker Room by McNally
    without the permission of the referee or another game official was a breach of
    standard operating pre-game procedure.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Whichever one they choose as the precedent is there.

It doesn't seem to matter anyways, if the NFL are in violation of the CBA then it's all gone anyways.

The Missouri Supreme Court cannot to set a 'precedent' for any other state court. Each State operates independently in their court system.

The only court that has power over each State is the federal US Supreme Court and they have not ruled on this.

Wells report give these details:

DesStone I think you might be a few days behind on the news on the holes in the report.

You probably go over the last 10 or so pages of this thread as there is no point hashing this out again from the start.

The Missouri Supreme Court cannot to set a 'precedent' for any other state court. Each State operates independently in their court system.

The only court that has power over each State is the federal US Supreme Court and they have not ruled on this.

Why do you care so much which court?

Isn't one court enough to cast doubt on the Commissioner's Independence?

Not to mention the completely obvious conflict of interests in this case.

Are you saying that what happened in Missouri cannot be mentioned and have a major bearing on the result in any other state?

DesStone I think you might be a few days behind on the news on the holes in the report.

You probably go over the last 10 or so pages of this thread as there is no point hashing this out again from the start.

I was answering to the post of today at 16.23 which the poster stated what he did and I quoted it that there was
    no control to study , no pregame readings, no immediate readings from the Colts balls
    It warranted a response IMO. If anyone is not keeping up it may be that poster.

• Advertisement

I was answering to the post of today at 16.23 which the poster stated what he did and I quoted it that there was
    It warranted a response IMO. If anyone is not keeping up it may be that poster.

It was a tongue in cheek post, you knew what he was implying, jaysus.

Advertisement