Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it too late to save the Late Late Show (Mod warning post #434)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

You know when I was a kid I used to love Fawlty Towers. The hassle Basil used to get into etc, etc. Then I grew up and went out to the workplace and found out that Basil might have had a point, but at the same time had none of the tools to deal with the situation. Now I can't watch it at all because it stresses me out.

Ryan is the Basil in this situation. He knows what would make a decent show but has none of the tools to do the job. I would hide behind the couch if I wasn't a grown man because of his embarrassment (and mine for watching) I tend to leave the room and have a cup of tea instead as I hear family and friends Groan and give out in the next room about what they're watching. However they do continue to watch...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Yeah, loads! Tatum/Hill, Cruise/Kurylenko, Kasparov...ad infinitum. I would venture that the good list is significantly shorter than the bad one.

I don't know about Tatum/ Hill - tubs obviously did not endear himself but Hill was a complete dick IMO.
    Actually let me rephrase, yes Tubs was as useless as usual, but my god Jonah hill was a dick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

amdublin wrote: »
    I don't know about Tatum/ Hill - tubs obviously did not endear himself but Hill was a complete dick IMO.
    Actually let me rephrase, yes Tubs was as useless as usual, but my god Jonah hill was a dick.
    I don't think Hill was to blame. He has been on so many talk shows in the USA and every time he is on them he takes the piss out of the host, the host takes it(possibly gives it back) and they have banter. That's how a lighthearted entertainment talk show goes
    Maybe nobody explained to him the format of the LL show

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Tubs is out of his depth RTE should release the line now if they know whats good for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭realweirdo

Its just the same old regurgitated paddywhackery under Ryan as is most things he touches...he's either doffing the cap to the Kennedys or indulging in paddywhackery and more doffing the cap in his other book "The Irish are coming".

The Late Late could be saved but certainly not with this presenter who seems to be stuck in a 1960s timewarp.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

realweirdo wrote: »
    Its just the same old regurgitated paddywhackery under Ryan as is most things he touches...he's either doffing the cap to the Kennedys or indulging in paddywhackery and more doffing the cap in his other book "The Irish are coming".

The Late Late could be saved but certainly not with this presenter who seems to be stuck in a 1960s timewarp.

The Irish are coming is an awful book. All about the usual cronies Tubridy uses his show to idolise in public. He is neither an author or a presenter and is 90% why the Late Late Show is poor. We'll have it back in a couple of weeks and maybe we will see one or two comparatively strong shows (Nidge will be on I hope) and then it will be into the usual same old same old. Hopefully, Nidge will arrange to clip Tubridy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Hopefully, Nidge will arrange to clip Tubridy :)

I'm pretty sure RTE wouldn't allow that.

So if he did physically hurt Tubs, they'd sack him. And then Love/Hate would never be the same again...

Just sayin'. :);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

jmcc wrote: »
    Looks like UTV thinks that it can compete against Tubridy by giving Pat Kenny a show.

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/its-back-to-the-future-for-pat-as-new-show-to-rival-tubridys-late-late-30521314.html

Best quote from the article: "No-one need worry if they are doing their job well. There is plenty of room for us all out there."

Yes, I thought that response was good, and it's true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

jmcc wrote: »
    Looks like UTV thinks that it can compete against Tubridy by giving Pat Kenny a show.

Any show with a half decent presenter will compete with the LLS, as is. It desperately needs a revamp. The house band needs to go, as does the overuse of internet clips, for starters. The lack of young talent in RTE is frightening.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

There was a time the LLS mattered and there would be discussions about it all the following week. Scandalous (by 1980's Irish standards) stuff.
    Those days are well and truely gone and they aint coming back, even if we cloned Gaybo, it's just a different world now.

I would disagree with this.

There are plenty of topical discussions in contemporary Ireland that could use a suitable forum, and the Late Late Show could be that forum.

The problem as the OP mentions is complete loss of direction. With Tubridy, and even more so with Pat Kenny previously, it wouldnt really matter if you have a really interesting person on because the interview will still be boring!!

I remember once Renee Zellswegger appearing on the Late Late on a Friday and on Parkinson on a Saturday - the LLS interview was like watching paint dry and the Parkinson one was brilliant.

They really just need to get the right presenter, and then give that presenter control (i.e. that the guest list isnt a promotional tool for other RTE shows....here is someone from Fair City, here is someone from Room to Improve, here is someone from whatever other show).

I actually think Brendan O'Connor is a far better presenter, and would be a better option for the LLS. There are loads of others that spring to mind. Claire Byrne is really good. Emma O'Driscoll is the most natural TV presenter on RTE. Outside of RTE, Ian Dempsey if he was interested would be good at it.

• Advertisement

We're also looking at the past with rose-tinted glasses, I remember the 80's and living in 2 and then 5 channel Land (couldn't get Channel 4) The Late Late became a curse because there was usually something better on the other side on a Saturday Night/Friday Night (for a teenager that is)

What I do remember is that about half the shows were duds. There were general groans of misery when Gay would announce that this weeks show was devoted to one boring topic. In Cork many people couldn't get BBC or ITV so they were a captive audience.

All the fantastic shows are remembered. All the boring shows are forgotten. At least there is the internet today were everyone can laugh at the late late show together.

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    The problem as the OP mentions is complete loss of direction. With Tubridy, and even more so with Pat Kenny previously, it wouldnt really matter if you have a really interesting person on because the interview will still be boring!!

Tubridy is bad a lot of the time, but he's still not as bad as the first 7 or so years of Pat who was truly terrible at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Tubridy is bad a lot of the time, but he's still not as bad as the first 7 or so years of Pat who was truly terrible at times.

Pat is gone and hopefully this will be Tubridy's last season.

Pat is gone and hopefully this will be Tubridy's last season.

I thought he had more than one year to run on his contract. RTE will keep him for as long as he's signed up. I was under the impression that Pat left the Late Late because Pat wanted to go. His ratings were good and there was really no reason for RTE to get rid of him at the time.

I assume it will be the same for Tubridy. He's there until he goes or ratings dive below 400,000 on average. Even at that stage he'd probably be given another year to turn the ship around. The only hope Turbidy goes is if he wants to do something different in his life or the BBC come in with a big offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    They really just need to get the right presenter, and then give that presenter control (i.e. that the guest list isnt a promotional tool for other RTE shows....here is someone from Fair City, here is someone from Room to Improve, here is someone from whatever other show).

I actually think Brendan O'Connor is a far better presenter, and would be a better option for the LLS. There are loads of others that spring to mind. Claire Byrne is really good. Emma O'Driscoll is the most natural TV presenter on RTE. Outside of RTE, Ian Dempsey if he was interested would be good at it.

Just seems to be whoever happens to be in the canteen half the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭For Reals

This is RTE and this is The Late Late, (says the Spartan working in the canteen).

Here are some rock solid truths:

Tubbs will never be sacked from the LLS regardless of ratings.
    They would axe the show before they axe tubbs.
    His defeat will be blamed on the LLS and they would scrap it and create a new show before sacking Tubbs.
    He is RTE royalty, so talent is not required. Our only hope is him quitting due to an offer somewhere else or shame.
    He was raised for that job.

They use to say about the likes of Gerry 'the real thing' Ryan that we should pay them huge fees because otherwise they'd all go to the BBC or other stations....that was funny then and it's still funny now.
    Also where's the downside? RTE would need audition and hire actual talent? ;)

Next seasons guests:
    Pleople from new RTE shows, be they reality based or not.
    Nial Horan's brother,
    Someone from Fianna Fail to drink cocoa and tell us warm fish tales about the good old days.
    Twink
    Linda Martin.
    Louis Walsh
    Louis Walsh
    Hector
    Louis Walsh
    That RTE presenter who nearly got an audition for the new Star Wars
    Liam Neeson, 'So the wife died on the aul' slopes there. Do you still ski?'

For Reals wrote: »
    This is RTE and this is The Late Late, (says the Spartan working in the canteen).

Here are some rock solid truths:

Tubbs will never be sacked from the LLS regardless of ratings.
    They would axe the show before they axe tubbs.
    His defeat will be blamed on the LLS and they would scrap it and create a new show before sacking Tubbs.
    He is RTE royalty, so talent is not required. Our only hope is him quitting due to an offer somewhere else or shame.
    He was raised for that job.

They use to say about the likes of Gerry 'the real thing' Ryan that we should pay them huge fees because otherwise they'd all go to the BBC or other stations....that was funny then and it's still funny now.
    Also where's the downside? RTE would need audition and hire actual talent? ;)

Next seasons guests:
    Pleople from new RTE shows, be they reality based or not.
    Nial Horan's brother,
    Someone from Fianna Fail to drink cocoa and tell us warm fish tales about the good old days.
    Twink
    Linda Martin.
    Louis Walsh
    Louis Walsh
    Hector
    Louis Walsh
    That RTE presenter who nearly got an audition for the new Star Wars
    Liam Neeson, 'So the wife died on the aul' slopes there. Do you still ski?'

I agree with almost all that you say, However the point about Gerry Ryan, he did seem to keep 2FM moving, They were profitable (In RTE accounting practice ways) while he was on air. Once he died, the station fell apart.

If Tubbs Left 2FM in the morning, ratings would probably rise. In real terms there were only 3 people in the last 20 years that could have gotten anything close to RTE wages in the Independent sector
    Pat (surprisingly)
    Gerry
    and
    Gay
    All the rest earn far too much (with possibly the exception of Joe Duffy) However nothing will change unless ratings went through the floor, which will never happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭For Reals

Gerry Ryan was popular on the radio but they/he kept trying TV. Awful stuff.
    Tubbs has nothing going and the whole trying to reformat line is wearing thin. He thinks he's a 1960's US talk show host. He's not and as was pointed out earlier, those days are gone. He simply does not have the personality, wit or knowledge required for today's media savvy and informed guest or audience for that matter.

For Reals wrote: »
    Gerry Ryan was popular on the radio but they/he kept trying TV. Awful stuff.
    Tubbs has nothing going and the whole trying to reformat line is wearing thin. He thinks he's a 1960's US talk show host. He's not and as was pointed out earlier, those days are gone. He simply does not have the personality, wit or knowledge required for today's media savvy and informed guest or audience for that matter.

Agree with all this... Ryan was not great on TV, but he did pay the bills for RTE at the end of the day. He did say he was value for money and he's really one of 3 or 4 that can really claim that they draw viewers or listeners (there are others...Looking your way Marion...that can make no such claim)

Anyone that was half decent could host the Late Late and still get 400,000 plus on a Friday Night, Maybe a lot more. It's hard wired onto a huge part of the population that the Late Late has got to be on. When Pat was having terrible shows for much of his reign, the ratings were still fantastic.

Tubbs does have the ability to host Radio shows and TV shows, just not the ones RTE give him. A few years in the BBC would do him the world of good, and at the same time free up the Late Late, but we'd probably end up with another old RTE face.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

As bad as pat Kenny was I think Ryan tubridy (dlb) is way way way worse.

Consistently bad.

• Advertisement

As bad as pat Kenny was I think Ryan tuntidy (dlb) is way way way worse.

Consistently bad.

Agree

Here's the problem, we're not discussing who the best host was, we're discussing who's the worst. Every time a see a terrible Tubbs piece from the web, soon after you see a Pat moment. Plus Pat has a huge advantage, there's less of Pats mistakes going around because Social Media wasn't as popular/didn't exist in his early years. Recording good phone footage has only happened over the last few years.

The Question I would ask, Does anyone out there think that Tubbs is great at hosting the Late Late?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

The Question I would ask, Does anyone out there think that Tubbs is great at hosting the Late Late?

Mrs. Tubridy Snr.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

As bad as pat Kenny was I think Ryan tubridy (dlb) is way way way worse.

Consistently bad.

That is very true. Pat Kenny I felt had some bad shows too especially in his later years. But he was a much better presenter and was not falling all over the likes of Louis Walsh like Tubridy.

Unfortunately, the guest list has not changed since Kenny's tenure. We are as likely to see Twink, Louis Walsh, the latest in season boyband, etc. under both. But the presentation is a lot poorer.

When Tubridy came on board first, it seemed like a new era. Kenny's last 2 years or so were very poor and Tubridy's first season was a moderate improvement on that. But by his 2011-2012 season, Tubridy's show was spiralling downwards in a way that made Kenny's last 2 years classic by comparison. But then Tubridy's 2012-13 and 2013-14 shows surpassed everything and brought the show to new levels of poor. Overall, we can expect Tubridy's show as consistently poor or bad indeed: with Kenny, it was more hit and miss with the good and bad equally likely to feature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭realweirdo

I thought he had more than one year to run on his contract. RTE will keep him for as long as he's signed up. I was under the impression that Pat left the Late Late because Pat wanted to go. His ratings were good and there was really no reason for RTE to get rid of him at the time.

I assume it will be the same for Tubridy. He's there until he goes or ratings dive below 400,000 on average. Even at that stage he'd probably be given another year to turn the ship around. The only hope Turbidy goes is if he wants to do something different in his life or the BBC come in with a big offer.

Like most people I was all for giving Tubridy a chance but he's had 4 years now and its been pretty turgid stuff. People are saying its not his fault, its because they don't get top quality guests anymore on the LLS. Anytime they do bring A1 celebrities on the show such as the Anchorman Cast, Samuel Jackson or Jonah Hill, its been awful, like a star struck spotty teenager interviewing them, so that blows that argument apart. Now they are saying they will change the set...seriously, how is that supposed to improve the show? Sounds to me they have run out of ideas and this presenter has run out of road.
    The only way to change things would be some big protest such as 100,000 refusing to pay their licence fee until the LLS gets a proper presenter.

realweirdo wrote: »
    The only way to change things would be some big protest such as 100,000 refusing to pay their licence fee until the LLS gets a proper presenter.

Not that many people care, most people think it's rubbish but they'll still keep tuning in. Ryan will stumble on, at some point he'll have a good interview or even a good show and that wiill be used to defend him for the following four or five years. The only way this will change is if he goes to the BBC who would be the only other organisation that would be willing to employ him. Commercial Radio here wouldn't pay him what he wants and for commercial broadcasters in Britain they have some people hosting national Shows and they're not paying them anything at all! They're aren't going to be paying Ryan the 1000 pounds a radio show that would be his minimum.

When Tubridy finally does finish up, can he please be replaced with someone attractive and easy on the eye? I don't think that is too much to ask is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,306 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The only thing is that Tubbs goes along with the idea of the producers from behind the scenes most of the time. Those same producers will believe that they will bring in guests and ask the questions that will make them suit their audience. I find it really lazy on the part of the producers to say to Tubbs that they can't find the top guests for the LLS anymore. I believe they will say that to him because it's probably in their mindset to be as really lazy as possible to constantly bring in guests from either the RTE canteen or the sob stories nearly every single week.

Every time the odd week where the A-List stars come in, some of them would experience the following from the LLS

1) The woeful and poor quality of the questions coming out from Tubridy
    2) A recorded interview - meaning the live audience for the night won't be able to see them in person even when they applied for the tickets
    3) A short interview - meaning that when the stars do turn up live for the night, the interview doesn't last more when they even try to settle in

The producers themselves by and large are a central part of the problem for not trying to go far enough with the show to maximise their audience and to keep it steady for every single week after that and so forth.

Even Tubridy's interactions with the audience can even be more cringeworthy because their involvement happens way too often. Even though they turned up on the show. They would expect to have a standard that is both different and enjoyable every week and also not unlike the same experience when watching it on their TV set at home. The sole focus of the show is not to be for the audience to be totally ridiculed every single week, their focus is meant to be having a happy and enjoyable experience from week to week when the show is on air.

Tubridy and his back room team are missing that very point of providing entertainment that is meant to be more or even less than adequate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

When Tubridy finally does finish up, can he please be replaced with someone attractive and easy on the eye? I don't think that is too much to ask is it?

martymorrisey.jpg

• Advertisement

RayM wrote: »
    martymorrisey.jpg

Wahey! Marty for the LLS!!!!

Advertisement