Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it too late to save the Late Late Show (Mod warning post #434)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

Well he didn't build that audience on BBC Radio 2, he's filling in for the individuals that have built those numbers. It's also probably a station closer to his talents. It's for the over 35's and much older. At least the BBC consider him a safe pair of hands that won't drive away the audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

If Tubridy is go to RTE Radio 1, the executives there will say he will fit the remit of the station is if it was to become Tubridy's new radio home. It fit's the age group of the listeners who tune into the station every day.

However for The LLS, Tubridy needs to considerably up his game if he is to make a serious effort to get the nation back on his side of him being a "changed" TV presenter. But the problem is with Tubridy, he doesn't let that change happen to him very quickly, that lack of change could make potentially fail as a TV personality.

If he also had a job of producer like Gay Byrne whenever the new set/series comes into play later on that could be a big positive for him if he is able for that particular role. The current producers of the show did accentuate too much of the negatives of Modern Ireland which is good in a way for a long time ago. However the remit of the Irish TV audience should say with some confidence to RTE that in the modern era we are seeing a very changed landscape in the way that a chatshow is meant to be properly run in the 21st Century.

People could say to the station that we are not seeing that change happen here in Ireland a lot more quckly than we are used to with certain chatshows from overseas. That lack of talent when Tubridy would interview guests which would have had a hard time in their past, you know the "misery" stories, they should be in RTE Television in some shape or form yes but not for an entertainment show. If a chatshow host from overseas did that for a couple of times a month like what we occasionally do over here, the audience for these shows would go "What was that for guys? You know they are many different shows out there for that type of output. We didn't pay these broadcasters to have that type of stuff on the show. Try a different show next time around. Thanks."

If the format of the the LLS was to change. It has to give a decent bit of positivity to the audience once a week including the big dose of happiness for the The Toy Show before Christmas time. That I will happy with but for the "misery" stories, I know that the people giving those stories mean well but there is another time and place in where those stories will be more accomodating to their needs on different shows.

The controversial pieces should come back to the Late Late Show in some form too. I miss those when Gay Byrne did those on his show long ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

"He said he had been studying the style of his hero, former US chat show host Dick Cavett, to fine-tune his own performance on the show which he said was unique in modern TV both because of its composition and its fully live broadcast."

Jesus H Chr1st... How many more times do we have to listen to this b*lloxology from Tubridy.. "I need to up my game, I need to pull up my socks, etc etc" Five years on, and he's still trying to learn how to do the job, while being paid an absolute fortune because some gobsh1te in RTE mistook him for a real presenter (Henry Kelly perhaps). Maybe he should wear those N tabards that Joe Duffy was talking about yesterday..

It seems like RTE management are the only ones who dont realise that the puppet will never be a real boy...

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ghiertal

2014-08-14_new_2935993_I1.JPG

Is that Gerry Ryan's old seat

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ghiertal

Jesus H Chr1st... How many more times do we have to listen to this b*lloxology from Tubridy.. "I need to up my game, I need to pull up my socks, etc etc" Five years on, and he's still trying to learn how to do the job, while being paid an absolute fortune because some gobsh1te in RTE mistook him for a real presenter (Henry Kelly perhaps). Maybe he should wear those N tabards that Joe Duffy was talking about yesterday..

It seems like RTE management are the only ones who dont realise that the puppet will never be a real boy...

Why is he studying a presenter who was in his heyday in the 60s and early 70s. That kind of style won't work now because all celebrities are briefed not to reveal anything, that's why the British and American TV has moved to the more comedic format, allowing the guest to basically control the interview. Most interviewees have their anecdotes prepared beforehand and maybe 20 per cent of a Graham Norton style chat is not scripted. Confessional interviews are long gone. Dick Cavett is known for his interviews with Grouch Marx and Richard Nixon!! Time for Tubridy to grow up and do it and stop claiming that he is on the cusp of greatness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭jmcc

ghiertal wrote: »
    Time for Tubridy to grow up and do it and stop claiming that he is on the cusp of greatness
    Perhaps that's the problem - Tubridy is not and never was on the cusp of greatness. However RTE management is still hopeful.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Tubridy is on the RTE Ten interview video from Youtube here talking about what is to happen to most of the things for the show this season apart from details of the new set after christmas.

He is to focus more on political input this season and the usual good Rory McIlroy stuff which happened in the media very recently.

It is important to point out that the Late Late is actually doing a lot better in ratings than a lot of the time when Pat was in charge. It's not really in Trouble if it keeps pulling in the numbers and advertisers, no matter how bad it might appear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Raspberry Fileds

It is important to point out that the Late Late is actually doing a lot better in ratings than a lot of the time when Pat was in charge. It's not really in Trouble if it keeps pulling in the numbers and advertisers, no matter how bad it might appear.

Are you sure? The OP links to an article saying that viewing figures in '11 were 800k+. There's no way Kenny's was below last season's average of ~550k.

Are you sure? The OP links to an article saying that viewing figures in '11 were 800k+. There's no way Kenny's was below last season's average of ~550k.

I'm hampered by not being able to get full figures but at the time I remember people saying that Pat wasn't up to the job, I can say his average in October 2002 was 533k and there were other months that it was as low. Of course there were other months when he was doing 600k plus and as the years went on the figures did improve.

What I'm trying to say is that an average of 550k will keep RTE happy especially with the media Market fragmenting so quickly. They will also point out Pat had less competition a lot of the time, and to be fair as long as the average is kept above half a million Ryan is in no danger of being moved on.

Now the Radio Show is an entirely different matter. He and RTE have totally failed when it comes to his show and 2fm. If 2FM closed in the morning would anyone really care?

• Advertisement

I know I always say this, but jesus he is painful... Talking with a cocky swagger, sort of reminiscent of a young Paul McCartney obviously minus all the popularity and talent.

They were really giving the hard sell to the Late Late Show audience, (and I emphasize the LATE LATE audience, not the RYAN TUBRIDY audience) telling us that "you can tune in to the radio show on Monday and I will tell you all about what went on in the Green room, and my radio show is the only place you will hear that"... And Mr Conservative tells NO secrets on the Monday show, he's usually just defending how bad his performance was... e.g. Ronan Keating, Juliette Binnoche.

"Is it time to get my school books ready?" :mad::mad::mad:
    No, it's time for you to pack your bags, sonny..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

Tubridy is on the RTE Ten interview video from Youtube here talking about what is to happen to most of the things for the show this season apart from details of the new set after christmas.

He is to focus more on political input this season and the usual good Rory McIlroy stuff which happened in the media very recently.

I noticed he never mentioned jonah hill :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

If the ratings are higher, the boards thread has to be the reason for the boost :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

If the ratings are higher, the boards thread has to be the reason for the boost :D

It's the only reason I watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

In answer to the thread....Yes, and it obviously was too late many years ago. But that's kind of beyond the point at this stage.

In the interests of preserving fun Boards discussions, the LLS is essential and long may it live. The LLS thread is by far one of the funniest here and I suspect a very significant contributor to the shows ratings:)

Tubridy comes across as smarmy and unlikeable and has no interviewing skills. He can barely allow someone a sentence without "Uh-huh. Yeah. Yeah. Uh-huh." and when someone (usually illness of the week) tries to segue from how they found out to how they felt when they found out he has to butt in with "And how did you feel when you found out?". He can never just let someone speak and let the other person dictate where they go, even when it's where he wants to go. It really is amazing that he hasn't improved whatsoever in the past few year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

It boils down to an inability to interview guests, pure and simple. And a lack of connection with people.

If it's a high profile person (eg. Jonah Hill, Ryhs Ifans, etc.) he gets nervous and makes a prat of himself!

If it's a regular guest (ie. non-celebrity), he adopts this arrogant condescending attitude and becomes very un-likeable. Basically, he's devoid of any people skills and has no place in the interviewer's chair.

And so bring on the new season, the LLS thread will be great, I can't wait:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Tubridy indeed has no interviewing skills. Here are examples of this:

Some boyband are on: Tubridy acts stupid and is all over them ultimately looking silly.
    Someone with motor neurone disease comes on: Tubridy is insincere, non-involved and condescending.
    Someone famous comes on: Tubridy messes up the interview and/or talks too much about their babies!
    Some politician comes on: Tubridy is full of faked aggression and ruins the interview.

Some boyband are on: Tubridy acts stupid and is all over them ultimately looking silly.
    Someone with motor neurone disease comes on: Tubridy is insincere, non-involved and condescending.
    Someone famous comes on: Tubridy messes up the interview and/or talks too much about their babies!
    Some politician comes on: Tubridy is full of faked aggression and ruins the interview.

He's good at the sport though... Remember his interview with Olympic boxer Adam Nolan.. known as 'Andy' to his friends,(apparently)..

story_28191_nolantweet.jpg

He's good at the sport though... Remember his interview with Olympic boxer Adam Nolan.. known as 'Andy' to his friends,(apparently)..

story_28191_nolantweet.jpg

Regarding Adam and his tweet...
    I don't know if Jerry Seinfeld would agree with you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,070 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I hope they get rid of the f..ing band.
    And their inappropriate intros.

Example.
    Joanne O'Reiordan, girl born with no arms or legs, has sopken at the UN, a campaigner for rights etc. and a real go getter comes on

And what do they play ?

'Give me hope Joanna'
    Any anti apartheid song from the eighties.
    I mean seriously ?

I hope they get rid of the f..ing band.
    And their inappropriate intros.

Example.
    Joanne O'Reiordan, girl born with no arms or legs, has sopken at the UN, a campaigner for rights etc. and a real go getter comes on

And what do they play ?

'Give me hope Joanna'
    Any anti apartheid song from the eighties.
    I mean seriously ?

I agree 100% here. This band and their stupid intros is very annoying. Whose idea was this playing inappropriate stuff when each guest comes on? It is not necessary, tacky and embarrassing to be honest. The above you mentioned was not a one-off isolated incident unfortunately.

I am not saying the band is bad either. They are good musicians and could be doing something more worthwhile. They are wasted here too aiding and abetting a silly show's silliness.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Azwaldo55

The Late Late Show can of course be saved. Just get rid of Tubridy and put someone in the chair with actual talent and ability.

Watch Cuba Gooding Jr destroy Tubridy.

In this radio interview Tubridy loses his cool with a domestic abuser who had seen the light and was trying to get men like him who are physically abusing their wives and partners to seek help.

Tubridy acts like the white knight and completely misses the point the poor guy was trying to put across.

Azwaldo55 wrote: »
    The Late Late Show can of course be saved. Just get rid of Tubridy and put someone in the chair with actual talent and ability.

Watch Cuba Gooding Jr destroy Tubridy.

In this radio interview Tubridy loses his cool with a domestic abuser who had seen the light and was trying to get men like him who are physically abusing their wives and partners to seek help.

Tubridy acts like the white knight and completely misses the point the poor guy was trying to put across.

These interview clips show us how poor Tubridy is. Cuba Gooding Jr decided to take advantage and it is pure class!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

L. Walsh or Twink come on: Tubridy nearly stains his pants with excitement.

:o:o:o:o:D:D:D;););)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭jmcc

Looks like UTV thinks that it can compete against Tubridy by giving Pat Kenny a show.

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/its-back-to-the-future-for-pat-as-new-show-to-rival-tubridys-late-late-30521314.html

Best quote from the article:
    Asked if current presenter of 'The Late Late Show' Ryan Tubridy (pictured) should worry about Kenny's upcoming series Curtis replied; "No-one need worry if they are doing their job well. There is plenty of room for us all out there."

Wonder how RTE management and Tubridy will take this? Will Tubridy endeavour to make the LLS his own? Will he up his game? WIll anyone be still watching the LLS?

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭squonk

jmcc wrote: »
    Looks like UTV thinks that it can compete against Tubridy by giving Pat Kenny a show.

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/its-back-to-the-future-for-pat-as-new-show-to-rival-tubridys-late-late-30521314.html

Best quote from the article:

Wonder how RTE management and Tubridy will take this? Will Tubridy endeavour to make the LLS his own? Will he up his game? WIll anyone be still watching the LLS?

Regards...jmcc

To answer your questions.... Won't care, No, No, RTE command a big default audience who will always watch the LLS even if it's presented by a cardboard cut-out and is 3 hours of silence!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

They wanted change so they brought in Tubridy. But why did they do this?

If they really wanted change they should have given it to someone young and hip. Otherwise they should have given it to someone like John Creedon - at least he would be professional around celebrities and not frustrate them and make the worst interviews ever.

Mia Farrow *shivers*
    Juliette Binoche
    Rhys "DLB" Ifans
    Take That
    Cuba Gooding Jr
    Anchormen
    Am I missing anyone?

Someone also needs to tell the production team to back away from Youtube

• Registered Users Posts: 17,886 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Id pay a license fee every month for a show where Tubridy gets into the ring with convicted abusers and drug dealers and tries to "break their legs" for justice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Raspberry Fileds

Mia Farrow *shivers*
    Juliette Binoche
    Rhys "DLB" Ifans
    Take That
    Cuba Gooding Jr
    Anchormen

Am I missing anyone?

Yeah, loads! Tatum/Hill, Cruise/Kurylenko, Kasparov...ad infinitum. I would venture that the good list is significantly shorter than the bad one.

Advertisement