Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Limerick FC 2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Another mess up from Delaney. In all honesty though don't forget the licensing process is totally removed and independent from the FAI to make it fair........that is of course except for the conditions/criteria they suggest should be applied to specific teams and not everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

In three words...Overpaid, Incompetent, Corrupt

I'd love to hear what our local Finance Minister has to say about this

Pat O'Sullivan has literally given Limk FC a massive sum of money, for no personal gain, he has done so in a very real attempt to help improve the lives of people thru football, and he is treated like this

Absolutely disgraceful

Limerick 1-0 Athlone

They made us work very hard for it but we were always on top. Some relief to get the goal.

If Waterford lose tomorrow night and If Longford also lose or even draw then we are Champions tomorrow night.

Seems already there is a big support heading up to Longford next Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

we just about won our match tonight, one goal to nill. At times I thought we would be lucky with a draw, and soemtimes I could see disaster threatening with some very sloppy Limerick FC passing. If Athlone had been better at scoring we would probably have lost....but at the end of the day, its the score that counts and its a win for LImerick FC with only 2 games left!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

Can't make as many games as I would like lately, but room booked and all good to go for the last home game, hopefully it'll be a celebration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

FAI would have been embarrassed by the collapse of Limerick FC so they interferred with "Independent" process.

linky here http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0928/1224324534441.html

Jaysus they dont neeed anybody help when it comes to embarrassing themselves.

What can you say that hasn't been said. The FAI make the crowd in Leinster House seem like Angels.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭STEEL COMET

longford will catch limerick!!!!! SLIGO ROVERS RULE!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Nearly 20 years waiting for this, and when it comes I'm in Tokyo, about as far away from Limerick as it's possible to be.

Perhaps I need to make up an excuse...a sick relative, or a little-known conference, which would allow me a short trip back to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Beaver1

Lads Pat O@Sullivan is a legend, he is the best thing that ever happened Limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Longford 0-1 SD Galway...38 minutes gone

Longford 1-2 SD Galway...66 minutes gone

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

Longford 1-2 SD Galway...66 minutes gone
    Harps 1-2 Waterford. Longford game not really important.

Soulcrew09 wrote: »
    Harps 1-2 Waterford. Longford game not really important.

Well they are mathematically out of it now, also an indicator of the level of their collapse.

We'll win up there next weekend and win the league...

Mon le Super Blues

Going to be a serious trip up to Longford next week. Two buses already on to go, a 16 seater and 50 seater plus the driving up support. We could be looking at winning the league and a pitch invasion next Saturday. It's all set up to be a cracking night in Longford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭redron74

I thought we played well on friday. We created a quite a few really good chances, and on another day we would have scored a few of them. Cian Collins was unlucky on two occasions in particular.
    This was a big improvement on many matches against defensive teams, where we dominated possession but allowed most of our attacks to break down at the edge of the box. Our attacks on friday were more incisive.
    Having said that, we had a few hairy moments at the back (and one in particular that Athlone should definitely have scored from) mostly of our own making.
    I'm looking forward to saturday's trip to Flancare Park. Hopefully the celebrations will start then.

• Advertisement

Have heard another bus heading up now + possibly a Limerick FC Academy Family bus also so that makes it 4 buses.

Longford despite doing pretty well this season have had poor attendance's. We may outnumber them on Saturday night.

Adding the buses together alone you are only talking around 90-100 people heading up so unless there is a lot driving we are looking at probably around 120-150 max.

A Report of last weeks game vs Athlone Town http://extratime.ie/fixtures/detail/18226/2/

Jofspring wrote: »
    Have heard another bus heading up now + possibly a Limerick FC Academy Family bus also so that makes it 4 buses.

Longford despite doing pretty well this season have had poor attendance's. We may outnumber them on Saturday night.

Adding the buses together alone you are only talking around 90-100 people heading up so unless there is a lot driving we are looking at probably around 120-150 max.

A Report of last weeks game vs Athlone Town http://extratime.ie/fixtures/detail/18226/2/

Well I'm in a car with 5 heading up Saturday, and i reckon there'll be a lot of full cars heading up.

A lot of people weary of buses after Monaghan last year(But we won't get into that) also from what I've head quite a few of the buses are leaving quiet early, so not ideal for those of us who are working on Saturday.

Well I'm in a car with 5 heading up Saturday, and i reckon there'll be a lot of full cars heading up.

A lot of people weary of buses after Monaghan last year(But we won't get into that) also from what I've head quite a few of the buses are leaving quiet early, so not ideal for those of us who are working on Saturday.

Ya I usually drive myself due to buses leaving during working hours. The fact its a Saturday though and a once off a group of us over behind the dugouts decided we'd get a small bus up.

what are the various outcomes - if we win the next match is that it, we will get promoted, if we dont win the next match, are we in a position where we have to win the next match/last match to get promotion?

banjobongo wrote: »
    what are the various outcomes - if we win the next match is that it, we will get promoted, if we dont win the next match, are we in a position where we have to win the next match/last match to get promotion?

If we win the match then no matter what happens in the Waterford game we can't be caught. If Waterford win and we draw or lose then it is down to the final night with us playing Wexford Youths at home and Waterford away to Athlone Town.

• Advertisement

thanks Jofspring, so tis all to play for....hopefully we will do the business this week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

Who fancies a loss tonight ???? would make for a great game and attendance next week !!!!

Who fancies a loss tonight ???? would make for a great game and attendance next week !!!!

Match is tomorrow. I wouldn't fancy a loss, our record at home in big games is ten times worse then our away record in big games.

Hopefully we can get all three tomorrow and finish this league off.

Live commentary on live95fm.

Mentioned this morning it's up to 5 buses going.

If we win the league tomorrow bight it will be next Friday we lift the trophy anyway so hopefully a big crowd would come out for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭redron74

Match is tomorrow.

If we win the league tomorrow bight it will be next Friday we lift the trophy anyway so hopefully a big crowd would come out for that.

Next week, our match will be on the saturday kicking off at 7:45pm, the same time as all the other First Division fixtures that weekend.

redron74 wrote: »
    Match is tomorrow.

Next week, our match will be on the saturday kicking off at 7:45pm, the same time as all the other First Division fixtures that weekend.

Forgot that. Would be clashing with the international match otherwise too.

I will be missing the match tomorrow but next Friday I will be at the Ireland vs Germany match and will be back home in Limerick for Limerick FCs last match of the year, hopefully to see Limerick win the league!
    I dont expect Ireland will beat Germany, but I do expect Limerick to do the business and top the league!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭Our Brian

Looking forward to this one. Should be the biggest away support in years. 3-1 to the blues.

Match is tomorrow. I wouldn't fancy a loss, our record at home in big games is ten times worse then our away record in big games.

Hopefully we can get all three tomorrow and finish this league off.

Live commentary on live95fm.

Mentioned this morning it's up to 5 buses going.

Excellent the amount of support going, gutted I can't make it but thanks for letting me know its on Live 95fm - will be tuning it. Come hail or shine I'll be at Jackman Park next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Maire2009 wrote: »
    Excellent the amount of support going, gutted I can't make it but thanks for letting me know its on Live 95fm - will be tuning it. Come hail or shine I'll be at Jackman Park next week.

Big crowd next week I'd say, will Jackman be able to cope.
    Good luck to the lads tomorrow night.

0-0 Waterford and Mervue at H/T

EDIT: 0-1 MERVUE :D

• Advertisement

Waterford 1-1 Mervue

Waterford down to 10 before they equalised - 10mins to go

Waterford 1-2 Mervue

Alan Murphy with the goal...

As things stand Limerick are champions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

2-1 Mervue!!!!! Limerick Promoted!!!!!! (Unless Waterford equalise in the dying seconds)

It's official - back in the big time of Irish football

carlton_happy.gif

Thank you Mervue for ruining our big day out tomorrow...

Limerick are promoted as champions...

First time in 19 years we'll be in the premier...

Mon you Super Blues

Get in!!!!

Let the party begin tomorrow in Longford!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

unbelievable that we're up, if delaney can stay out of it and the markets field gets sorted could be the start of good times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

Not really a follower of Limerick FC, but congrats are in order. Must make it my business to go to games next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,352 ✭✭✭✭phog

Passive follower, been to Jackman Park a few times over the last few years but delighted for the team. Big step up though and I hope they can stay up for a couple of years so that they can get chance of building on it and maybe even targeting winning the Premier League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Absolutely delighted. hats off to all the people who worked so hard over the years to make it possible. :):)

Think all those people who are considering catching a game next season should go up next Saturday for the last game of the season and witness the trophy and celebrations and I'd reckon they'll be a packed house for it too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Gonna finish work early next Saturday and defo be up there for the trophy. well done to everyone involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

What time is that match on at? Finally my FM career is starting to become a reality :D

No reason why they can't challenge for the league in a couple of years, the backing seems to be rock solid, it doesn't take a pile of money as Sligo have shown, big crowds are essential though so the chairman can stay excited, maybe a new manager but he deserves a crack now he's got them there.
    Are there many Limerick born players playing in the Premier LOI or lower division cross channel, this is what they should be aiming for in their signings, I hope there isn't a few carloads of Dublin based players coming down as happens in Drogheda and was always the way at smaller clubs.
    I'll be there next week, have made very few games this year but 1st division is such a poor standard it can hurt your eyes sometimes, roll on next year and the Cork City games.

• Advertisement

Shane Duggan - Midfield - Cork City
    Lee Lynch - Midfield - Sligo Rovers
    Gary Shanahan - Winger - Dundalk
    Ger Barron - Goalkeeper - UCD

They are the only four players from Limerick currently playing premier in Ireland that I can think of off the top of my head. Would be nice to see a few more Limerick lads in the team but a lot don't seem to be up to the standard and the ones that are stay playing junior soccer with the likes of Pike and Janesboro. Over the last number of years Limerick has been trying to pull the best talent from around the midwest region with a lot of players coming from Clare, Tipperary, Kerry and even some from Cork. Most those counties don't have a senior soccer team so we need to tap into the mid-west region as much as possible and be seen as a place for new talent to start off instead of heading straight over to England.

Shane Duggan - Midfield - Cork City
    Lee Lynch - Midfield - Sligo Rovers
    Gary Shanahan - Winger - Dundalk
    Ger Barron - Goalkeeper - UCD

They are the only four players from Limerick currently playing premier in Ireland that I can think of off the top of my head. Would be nice to see a few more Limerick lads in the team but a lot don't seem to be up to the standard and the ones that are stay playing junior soccer with the likes of Pike and Janesboro. Over the last number of years Limerick has been trying to pull the best talent from around the midwest region with a lot of players coming from Clare, Tipperary, Kerry and even some from Cork. Most those counties don't have a senior soccer team so we need to tap into the mid-west region as much as possible and be seen as a place for new talent to start off instead of heading straight over to England.

Even from the current crop of young lads in our senor set up

Stephan McGann - Kerry/Ennis
    James McGrath - Nenagh
    Dave O'Leary - Cork

A few of the current 19's squad are from Nenagh too, but there are a good number from country Limerick as well as the city.

With regards to the lads at Pike & Janesboro, from my memory those players who played with us before would be nowhere near the current side.

Shane Clarke, John Tierney, Dave Ryan nowhere near good enough for us.

Wayne Colbert and Yellow are good enough but not better than our current players in their positions also those two are fairly questionable attitudes and history's (can't say anymore on that)

Well it is absolutly vital to encourage as many supporters thru the gates as possible, this is far more likely if the team can become proper representatives of Limerick and wider Munster, this requires the players to be local in my opinion, if Limerick can pick up big attendances they may become as attractive as Cork City for the cream of local talent, in fact in Gamble and Behan they already have two of Corks best players of the last 10 years.

As an aside what kind of crowd will there be next week now that there is nothing to play for except the party? Will there be a trophy presentation etc?

Trophy presentation will be next week alright. I'd expect a decent crowd next week as people will want to say they were at the game that Limerick lifted the trophy.

The sad truth is that people won't care where the players are from once we are winning. If we have a largely Local team and are losing week in week out no body will come to watch us. We have had teams packed full of locals in the past with crowds of 250-300 max showing up to Jackman Park and people just said we weren't up to the standard required. If we have a team that has a mix and are doing well we have a much better chance of getting in the crowds. The perfect scenario is having lots of Limerick based players and the club doing well but there is no team in the LOI fighting at the top of the league with all players from their home town barr maybe one or two Dublin clubs. The same goes for clubs over in England.

We have a cracking looking under 19's with players from all around the midwest region. Its these players i'd like to see developing into premier standard and all the players coming up through the underage structure. Playing with and against top players from around the country in the top tier will help this no end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

A 2-0 win away to Longford.
    the home team had a player red carded after 56 mins.
    Treacy put the blues in front on 79 mins with Brosnans 90th minute strike securing our second win away at Longford this season.
    hope the big travelling support had a good time up there tonight....:)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement