Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

teednab-el wrote: »
    Cork to win. Expect Mayo to put it up to us though and I hope they do, would be good for both teams

Nothing expected from us, IF we can for 1 game this season get Dillion, Moran, Freeman and Doherty to click then I expect they will give Cork some problems.

We are weaker in the middle and possibly at full-back. If we come away saying that they put up a good fight I will be happy to build on that for next year. A very young team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭spider guardian

yop wrote: »
    Nothing expected from us, IF we can for 1 game this season get Dillion, Moran, Freeman and Doherty to click then I expect they will give Cork some problems.

We are weaker in the middle and possibly at full-back. If we come away saying that they put up a good fight I will be happy to build on that for next year. A very young team.

The fact that Cork can leave Goulding on the bench and still retain total confidence says it all really. Not wanting to sound defeatist but this was always going to be a multi-year plan for Mayo. Can't see us doing a Maughan or a Moran and advancing straight to the final, the lads have done some seriously good work this year but there is more to be done I would think. Young team all around and there is some seriously good potential there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Yeah, in fairness on Cork's performance this weekend we'll have a mountain to climb.
    It's hard to know how good or bad Mayo really are this year - the only 2 games that really could have been looked at were in ferocious conditions so it's impossible to say how we could do. Pretty much the only thing thats been consistent for us this year is having been underdogs and playing into gales in the first half then playing with them in the second. Outside of that, there's no real way to tell how this team will perform.

Given the level of intensity Cork play at, combined with their fitness, they'll be pulling away for the last 15 minutes of the game. We have some strength on the bench but and if we can hold out to being in touch up to then, we may cause an upset, but to be realistic, I can't hold out too much hope for that. The bookies have Mayo at 5-1 for this game for a reason.

Many on this team are quite young so if they can give a good account of themselves, then perhaps they can build on this years efforts and be considered serious contenders next year. If they get hammered, it may take longer for them to recover. I really hope that doesn't happen.

One line of hope though, for all the commentators that predicted if was only every going to be a Tyrone v Armagh Semi in 2004 weren't telling us how right they were after when it turned out to be Mayo vs Fermanagh for the Semi Final. We also did beat Cork in the League this year. Here's hoping I prove myself wrong and looking forward Limerick V Mayo in the Semi....;)

All that said- this blog is well worth a read for any Mayo fans...

• Registered Users Posts: 33 InkDispatch

Yes I think we will put up a good display but probably get bet by 3 - 4 points in the end as Cork are very strong in the last 10 - 15 mins. But I will be happy as long as we don't get a hammering as this would set this young team back a long way and that would be a shame as they look to be heading in the right direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭lukin

Cork supporter here, I think this will be a closer game than people think, I'd be happy with a one point win. Mayo haven't beaten us for a long time and will be bigger underdogs than ever for this one but they have to beat us some time so it's by now means a foregone conclusion.
    We have no left-footed freetaker now that Goulding is out and we don't have much to call on from the bench. Mayo could very well cause an upset, ye'll never have a better chance of beating us.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,174 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

lukin wrote: »
    Cork supporter here, I think this will be a closer game than people think, I'd be happy with a one point win. Mayo haven't beaten us for a long time and will be bigger underdogs than ever for this one but they have to beat us some time so it's by now means a foregone conclusion.
    We have no left-footed freetaker now that Goulding is out and we don't have much to call on from the bench. Mayo could very well cause an upset, ye'll never have a better chance of beating us.

I too would be happy with a one point win - realistically any win will do at this stage of the competition.

I honestly think in years to come that Mayo will have FAR better chances of beating Cork than they will on Sunday.

does anybody know if mayo or cork announced there teams for sunday yet? I thought mayo were supposed to annouse there team after training last nite (wed)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭glic71rods46t0

does anybody know if mayo or cork announced there teams for sunday yet? I thought mayo were supposed to annouse there team after training last nite (wed)
    Today is Wednesday - are u getting your days mixed up?

Today is Wednesday - are u getting your days mixed up?
    LOL no wonder they havent the team announced so - thanks for clearly dat up:confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭mayo_lad

LOL no wonder they havent the team announced so - thanks for clearly dat up:confused::confused:

mayo team announced two changes to the team from roscommon , with ger cafferkey and enda varley coming into the team

here's a link to the team http://mayogaablog.com/

mayo_lad wrote: »
    mayo team announced two changes to the team from roscommon , with ger cafferkey and enda varley coming into the team

here's a link to the team http://mayogaablog.com/
    Was expecting Cafferkey and maybe even McGarrity (and he should if fit)to start but I didnt think that he would drop Doherty - big goal threat gone there in the wide open spaces of croker??

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Whitehorse

Unfortunately for the two young lads I think the changes were on the cards after the Roscommon match. Young Feeney is a great defender but doesnt have the brute strength yet for full back. Did think he might be more suited to the speedy Cork forwards. Doherty has been poor in the last three matches so would have been hard to start him again. Hopefully he gets a good run out the next day when the match is still in the balance with 10mins to go! Hopefully a good few travel up on Sunday cause you never know what might happen.
    ( I did put a sneaky fiver on Mayo to win by 2points at 22-1) Sounds crazier when I actually write it down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Was expecting Cafferkey and maybe even McGarrity (and he should if fit)to start but I didnt think that he would drop Doherty - big goal threat gone there in the wide open spaces of croker??
    Yeah, Doherty might be a bit of a strange one, but he's been pretty anonymous in the Championship so far. Could be that the defenders have paid too much attention, but could be a good half time sub if there are issues in the forward line that need adjusting...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭lukin

lukin wrote: »
    Hate to say "I told you so" but I was worried about this beforehand and sadly my fears were realised.Well done to Mayo,thoroughly deserved.I think the loss of Goulding and Sheehan was massive but Mayo took full advantage and credit to them for that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,174 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Well I certainly didn't see todays performance coming, both from Cork and from Mayo.
    The better team won and Cork can have no complaints whatsoever. Mayo - after a poor start, certainly settled down and thoroughly deserved their win. I predicted a handy win Cork and possibly even more - quite the opposite was true today.
    Again, congrats to Mayo, ye deserved the win and I sincerely hope ye can carry that type of form into the semis!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

James Horan's half time team talk has been leaked....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

From a Corkman well done and congratulations to Mayo on their fine win yesterday. Had a feeling that this game would be a tough one for Cork and so it proved to be with Mayo well deserving winners.

I met a number of young Mayo fans yesterday evening in Heuston station and may I say they were a fine sporting bunch of lads and a credit to their county and GAA fans eveywhere. I wish ye all the best in the semi final and I hope ye turn the form book upside down again!

Well guys, what do we think of this? It's nice to see some positive headlines being printed today. Much is being made of the fact that Cork scored only one point in the 2nd half. Credit must go to the Mayo defence but we cannot forget that Cork were missing three forwards. That's a big loss for any team, even one with a panel as strong as Cork's. Still, the fact that we managed to keep their attack under pressure without persistent fouling is a hugely encouraging sign. Similar tactics were used to keep Donie Shine from free-taking opportunities. Keith Higgins and Richie Feeney seemed to forget they were backs at times, Higgins even managed to grab a point!

Horan was very astute in his usage of subs. I can see Doherty being used as an impact sub from here-on-end. His point was crucial. McGarrity and Gardiner energised the team when they came on. It's great to be able to draw on experience like that from the bench when the chips are down.

I think the two major questions that were hanging over the Mayo team throughout the year, that of the lack of leadership and lack of freetakers has been answered over the past two games.

Bring on the Kingdom!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Cork to win. Expect Mayo to put it up to us though and I hope they do, would be good for both teams

Congrats Mayo fans here on your win, I kind of expected that you would put it up to us and you sure did.

Didnt expect Cork to loose but who did before yesterday. Best of Luck against Kerry, hope you can upset all the odds again. It will be hard but nothing is impossible.

Does anybody know if the Mayo team was announced yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭naughto

not offically yet still waiting on the fitness of Trevor Mortimer and gardneir for what iam hearing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,395 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

naughto wrote: »
    not offically yet still waiting on the fitness of Trevor Mortimer and gardneir for what iam hearing

Is it a bad thing that they are holding out for Mortimer to be fit ?.

Is this going to be like the 1997 final where Maughan played Flannagan when he was not 100% and end up coming off after 10 mins or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭naughto

i dont think so horan is a hell of a better manager than maughan will ever be.horan makes the right subs at the right time and is very good at tactics

i dont think so horan is a hell of a better manager than maughan will ever be.horan makes the right subs at the right time and is very good at tactics
    I have to agree with you - and i am no trevor mortimer fan - but he is playing the best football of his career this year!! And yes horan does seem to be getting it right so far with the subs, so here is hoping that he gets it right this sunday...:):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Mayo team named for sunday,

The Mayo Senior Football team to take on Kerry this Sunday in the All-Ireland Senior Football Semi-Final in Croke Park is as follows:
    1) Robert Hennelly - Breaffy
    2) Tom Cunniffe - Castlebar Mitchels
    3) Ger Cafferkey - Ballina Stephenites
    4) Keith Higgins - Ballyhaunis
    5) Richie Feeney - Castlebar Mitchels
    6) Donal Vaughan - Ballinrobe
    7) Trevor Mortimer - Shrule-Glencorrib
    8) Aidan O'Shea - Breaffy
    9) Seamus O'Shea - Breaffy
    10) Kevin McLoughlin - Knockmore
    11) Alan Dillon - Ballintubber
    12) Andy Moran - Ballaghaderreen
    13) Enda Varley - Garrymore
    14) Alan Freeman - Aghamore
    15) Cillian O'Connor - Ballintubber
    16) Kenneth O'Malley - Ballinrobe
    17) Alan Feeney - Castlebar Mitchels
    18) Dermot Geraghty - Shrule-Glencorrib
    19) Chris Barrett - Belmullet
    20) Lee Keegan - Westport
    21) James Kilcullen - Ballaghaderreen
    22) Ronan McGarrity - Ballina Stephenites
    23) Peadar Gardiner - Crossmolina
    24) Aidan Campbell - Swinford
    25) Jason Doherty - Burrishoole
    26) Mark Ronaldson - Shrule-Glencorrib

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Mayo team named for sunday,

The Mayo Senior Football team to take on Kerry this Sunday in the All-Ireland Senior Football Semi-Final in Croke Park is as follows:
    1) Robert Hennelly - Breaffy
    2) Tom Cunniffe - Castlebar Mitchels
    3) Ger Cafferkey - Ballina Stephenites
    4) Keith Higgins - Ballyhaunis
    5) Richie Feeney - Castlebar Mitchels
    6) Donal Vaughan - Ballinrobe
    7) Trevor Mortimer - Shrule-Glencorrib
    8) Aidan O'Shea - Breaffy
    9) Seamus O'Shea - Breaffy
    10) Kevin McLoughlin - Knockmore
    11) Alan Dillon - Ballintubber
    12) Andy Moran - Ballaghaderreen
    13) Enda Varley - Garrymore
    14) Alan Freeman - Aghamore
    15) Cillian O'Connor - Ballintubber
    16) Kenneth O'Malley - Ballinrobe
    17) Alan Feeney - Castlebar Mitchels
    18) Dermot Geraghty - Shrule-Glencorrib
    19) Chris Barrett - Belmullet
    20) Lee Keegan - Westport
    21) James Kilcullen - Ballaghaderreen
    22) Ronan McGarrity - Ballina Stephenites
    23) Peadar Gardiner - Crossmolina
    24) Aidan Campbell - Swinford
    25) Jason Doherty - Burrishoole
    26) Mark Ronaldson - Shrule-Glencorrib

Good to see dat Mayo have stuck with the same team and I actually think that we might just do it on Sunday??:cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 63 ✭✭big toenails

Really hope you do it tomorrow. This is a great Mayo side, best of luck.

Agreed, McGarrity, Gardiner and Doherty were brought on at just the right time in the QF, they really gave the team a boost. I have a feeling he will be making changes at half-time though as Kerry are going to run us into the ground.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

<Snip>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I hope ye don't paint all Kerry fans with the same brush based on the idiocy of the above post lads...

Hard luck today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

Hard luck Mayo it was a bridge to far this year who knows what will happen next year, at least you got to play in a semi and that's no mean feat. Mayo and Waterford my county are always compared in that we get so far and then we seem to take our eye off the ball. Keep the spirits up never lose belief someday our stars will shine and ignore the knockers.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭milehip1

You clearly have an issue with Mayo.

Cleary has issues with himself,his posts say more about him that about Mayo!

milehip1 wrote: »
    Cleary has issues with himself,his posts say more about him that about Mayo!

ha! no, no issues with myself, just enjoying ye getting a good beating in the end, plenty of ye were gloating when ye had your win over a depleted Cork side, if ye cant take it dont dish it out in the first place.

Today ye were shown up for what ye are, toothless when up against a fully fit Kerry team, i could say the usual bull**** like well done, good spirited effort but im delighted ye lost and I had the added benefit of winning good money off your loss today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

leonidas83 wrote: »
    ha! no, no issues with myself, just enjoying ye getting a good beating in the end, plenty of ye were gloating when ye had your win over a depleted Cork side, if ye cant take it dont dish it out in the first place.

Today ye were shown up for what ye are, toothless when up against a fully fit Kerry team, i could say the usual bull**** like well done, good spirited effort but im delighted ye lost and I had the added benefit of winning good money off your loss today.

Throw enough mud at the wall in gambling and somethings going to stick...although you would want to have been betting a serious amount of money on a Kerry win to make it worth your while considering the odds they were at. You act as if its a massive shock that Kerry won...you're obviously not from either Cork or Kerry.

Barlett wrote: »
    Throw enough mud at the wall in gambling and somethings going to stick...although you would want to have been betting a serious amount of money on a Kerry win to make it worth your while considering the odds they were at. You act as if its a massive shock that Kerry won...you're obviously not from either Cork or Kerry.

Have won good money on GAA this year, thanks for the consideration, and yes i bet alot on Kerry today, some of your other Mayo supporters on here could tell you more about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭milehip1

Don't feed the troll! Which is what the spitefull Limerick loser is!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

Ah...he's the guy from Limerick...I remember him now...a very strange individual...it's not healthy to have so much hate for one county.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

leonidas83 wrote: »

Can't understand this hatred I'm a Waterford man who had a Kerry father and would love to see Mayo win an All Ireland. What a beautiful county though

milehip1 wrote: »
    Don't feed the troll! Which is what the spitefull Limerick loser is!

the only losers around here are ye boys, your pathetic, I'm absolutely delighted ye were not only knocked out but hammered, shown up for what ye really are, ive been laughing at ye all day since the result and enjoying my winnings, come back to me when your actually mediocre at another sport but I could be waiting a long time.

p.s. i dont consider ye a relative enough county to be even bothered about let alone obsessed with

• Advertisement

Ah...he's the guy from Limerick...I remember him now...a very strange individual...it's not healthy to have so much hate for one county.

oh and well done for putting one and one together, yes i did put serious money on kerry winning today, I knew ye would **** up in the end.

Just to clarify aswell, I have no hate for Mayo county but the twats i have encountered on here have encouraged me to bask in this glory this evening, I enjoy delusional arrogant fans getting a reality check in the end. Bye bye for another year and good luck on beating London if ye come up against them next year, my money will be on them tho:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Folks if you have a problem with a post, report it and we'll deal with it.

This thread is about Mayo GAA, not gloating or trolling

Chin up lads, it's been a good year for Mayo football. Nestor cup is in the bag and we put in a serious performance against Cork. Yesterday was disappointing but at least there is potential in the team. We ran out of steam towards the end of the first half and Kerry simply had more firepower and stamina in the second. Gooch seems to pick and choose his matches in which to come alive.

What changes should Horan make next year? I don't think we'll see both O'Shea brothers at midfield, they were well-beaten yesterday. Also our forward line was anaemic, O'Connor got a lovely goal but overall there was poor returns although in fairness to Andy Moran he could easily have scored two goals. Dillon also worked as hard as he could.

Otherwise the experience will stand to them, some more fitness, strength and accuracy upfront and we will be a force to be reckoned with next year. Given what happened against Longford last year we are in a very good position to further improve.

Maigh Eo abu!

Chin up lads, it's been a good year for Mayo football. Nestor cup is in the bag and we put in a serious performance against Cork. Yesterday was disappointing but at least there is potential in the team. We ran out of steam towards the end of the first half and Kerry simply had more firepower and stamina in the second. Gooch seems to pick and choose his matches in which to come alive.

What changes should Horan make next year? I don't think we'll see both O'Shea brothers at midfield, they were well-beaten yesterday. Also our forward line was anaemic, O'Connor got a lovely goal but overall there was poor returns although in fairness to Andy Moran he could easily have scored two goals. Dillon also worked as hard as he could.

Otherwise the experience will stand to them, some more fitness, strength and accuracy upfront and we will be a force to be reckoned with next year. Given what happened against Longford last year we are in a very good position to further improve.

Maigh Eo abu!

That's all well a good from a supporters point of view to be happy with the year but I would like it if this set of players and back-room team were pi**ed off with themselves.

One thing Kerry do great is disappointment.

Each year they do not win an All Ireland they have an unbelievable motivation the next year to win one, and Mayo have been on the other end of that motivation more than once.

Mayo teams need to start thinking the same way.

This team have to start 2012 with the thought that they threw away a great chance to beat Kerry in 2011 and anything but an All Ireland final appearance in 2012 should be a disappointment to this team.

Too often Mayo players like to sit on their laurels and be happy with a start place on the team or a good run in the championship, that has to change if they are going to win anything.

And the prize for winning an All Ireland is that they will become legends in their own lifetimes.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

That's all well a good from a supporters point of view to be happy with the year but I would like it if this set of players and back-room team were pi**ed off with themselves.

Each year they do not win an All Ireland they have an unbelievable motivation the next year to win one, and Mayo have been on the other end of that motivation more than once.

This team have to start 2012 with the thought that they threw away a great chance to beat Kerry in 2011 and anything but an All Ireland final appearance in 2012 should be a disappointment to this team.

Too often Mayo players like to sit on their laurels and be happy with a start place on the team or a good run in the championship, that has to change if they are going to win anything.

And the prize for winning an All Ireland is that they will become legends in their own lifetimes.

Bang on post that, yes 2011 was a "bedding in" period for the team and yes they probably exceeded expectations but an AI final appearance was within their grasp for 35 minutes.
    A little naivity and heads dropping didn't help but 2012 the aim has to be an AI appearance.

Time will tell, Horan and the team are well pi**ed off after that for sure, how they will react will be the key.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

yop wrote: »
    Bang on post that, yes 2011 was a "bedding in" period for the team and yes they probably exceeded expectations but an AI final appearance was within their grasp for 35 minutes.
    A little naivity and heads dropping didn't help but 2012 the aim has to be an AI appearance.

Time will tell, Horan and the team are well pi**ed off after that for sure, how they will react will be the key.

Without trying to sound fatalistic, winning Connacht again next season will be progress for Mayo, or indeed for whoever does.

Galway will surely be an improved outfit after the last two years of almost complete annihilation, Roscommon will improve further and Sligo with David Kelly back should give a far better account of themselves next year. Hopefully the net result is all Connacht teams make progress, but Mayo really shouldn't be thinking about the All-Ireland series in that context.

• Advertisement

So what do you do with Aidan o Shea ?

He is not a midfielder

He is not as dominant in the forwards as he was as a minor

What does he have to do to improve himself ?

And is Sheamus good enough to stay at midfield, and if so who do you put there with him ?
    I no longer live in Mayo so i don't really know who is there at the clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Ron McGarrity has the experience of making midfield his own. Whether that's with Aidan O'Shea or not who knows. Some quality players unearthed in McLoughlin and O'Connor. Plenty to build on depends on how well Horan can hold the tiller. Maintaining cohesion is going to be the challenge. Horan had a good first year - very low key, unassuming approach which I liked.

So what do you do with Aidan o Shea ?

He is not a midfielder

He is not as dominant in the forwards as he was as a minor

What does he have to do to improve himself ?

And is Sheamus good enough to stay at midfield, and if so who do you put there with him ?
    I no longer live in Mayo so i don't really know who is there at the clubs.

Considering they are both young lads and we outside of McGarrity there isn't a lot of experience I think they should be left. Aidan needs to slim down another 1/2 to a stone but you have to remember that he doesn't need to make these lung bursting runs into the forward line.
    He has the power to get his hands on the ball in the middle, use that and pass the ball off.

Gibbons is there, still young and very light, going to improve I am sure.
    Kilcullen - never convinced me at all.
    Harte - Hot and cold, not great strenghts.
    Parsons - dropped off panel, not sure what is going to happen with him.

Outside of that I can't think of anyone else who can come in there.

Patience is needed here a bit with them 2 lad, work on their speed and use their strengths. They are both big men, can be a good or a bad thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Well at least Aidan O'Shea is admitting where he is coming from performance wise and the work he has to go yet. He admitted in interviews that his fitness was sub par in 2010 (he was a stone heavier than 2011) and it had a big part in him playing poorly for all of 2010 when he was full forward.
    2011 while still not being at the races fitness wise was a major improvement on 2011.
    As we seen against Kerry once O'Shea is having a bad day on the kickouts he is a bit limited in general play when it comes to working, passing, offering a linkup option etc.
    So maybe full forward is the only option for a 2012 version of OShea when he should be fitter than 2011. It will obviously be tried out.
    Midfield maybe Seamus OShea will stay there and be a bit more mobile. It takes often two seasons to get big men fit. Their bodies just don't adjust as quick. Seamus showed glimmers of potential against Kerry in appearing to be a quicker more accurate passer of the ball and having a better engine than Aidan. Seamus only plays well coming onto ball as we seen when he was tried in the forwards.
    Midfielders in the county?
    - Seen a bit of Barry Kelly (think that was right name) Ballaghadereen but not enough to judge, from what I seen he played with his head up, was physical and had football in him (Some on here would know more about him).
    - Use Vaughan as a worker? But then yer losing centre back.
    - Ronan Mc after a serious Winter strength program, don't rule it out.
    - James Ruddy Knockmore isn't it? Big fella, fairly mobile.
    It might be time to go with a smaller, mobile, hard working, linkup type player who can score rather than a big 6'4" guy. Seamus for his strength, the smaller man for the linkups? Not that many big men are skilled footballers or mobile both attributes we are well short of in the middle of the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭Panrich

Agreed. If you look back on the year as a whole you have to be pleased and any talk doubting the manager at this point is being over-reactive in the extreme. Look at the work that Gilroy is doing with Dublin in his third year. It is easy to forget that in his first year in charge, they ran into Kerry and came off the wrong side of a 17 point drubbing. If the manager can continue to improve and learn along with the team, then he should be given our full support.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement