Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WRC North Has Been Shelved

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

remind me again how long the western railway corridor was closed between Ennis and Limerick after a bit of rain?
    this on an already open section of line??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭trellheim

what's not written here ? If they're pulling all that rail stuff [ which in fairness was all fairly obvious ]

what road projects are being pulled ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭Schuhart

Just had a look at the WoT website for the first time in months to see if they had anything to say.......
    Western Rail Corridor campaigners were accused of imagining the demand for services and their projections for freight traffic were scoffed at by commentators from the east coast. When we proved that demand by securing 18 trains a week which are obliged to travel, on an interim basis, through the congested Greater Dublin Area en route to Waterford Port, the cynics ignored that achievement. Currently, Dublin cannot produce one freight train per week. Our success at transferring 16,000 truck movements from roads onto rail, representing 3 million displaced truck miles per annum, between Mayo and Waterford is a fact that sustains our projections and confounds the sceptics. These freight trains receive no subsidy, unlike the DART, LUAS and Dublin Port Tunnel. These freight trains will be transferred to the Western Rail Corridor when complete to compliment passenger revenues.
    Has anyone any background to this bit? I don't trust WOT as a source, but there does seem to have been some development re rail freight. All I could find was this document http://www.sustainabletravel.ie/download/1/0804%2023%20Number%20271%20WATERFORD%20PORT.pdf. However, it does not substantiate this figure of 18 trains a week.

However, if there is a successful model for Irish rail frieght that might be developed, on the face of it we should take notice.
    Hardly surprising it was ignored.
    It hasn't been totally ignored, although ironically the Galway Advertiser seem no more interested in rail freight than the Dublin Meeja.

http://www.galwayadvertiser.ie/content/index.php?aid=12425

I love the incensed air of the press release. Its quite clear that this desire to lay long, stiff steel bars across the country and feel them quiver and heave as a locomotive thrusts across them is deeply seated in someone's need to compensate for something.

Dublin cannot produce one freight train per week. But Mayo can get three thrusting down from Ballina every morning. What a man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

If that press release from WOT doesn't justify everything myself and Nostrodamus ever said about them, then I'll eat my flute!

Expect "official" mumurings about Navan around August. The interconnector is still not a certainty though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I want to know who your source is :D

The Department of Finance , they are busy trying to reduce a deficit of nearly 5% of GNP in 2009 and are snipping merrily away at capital schemes .

The NRA is to be completely deballed by Finance which neatly explains the sudden and widely dispersed NRA interest in progressing route selection projects nationwide during 2008 .

These selection projects are all suddenly underway on the N11 , N17 , N20 , N15 , N5 , N21, N24, N25 and N4 and also on the Dublin Orbital project. The hope in the NRA is that there will be widespread support for the NRA in their efforts to defend their budgets .

However there is no money in the pipeline for transport and there will be no money for the rest of the Transport 21 temporal envelope . The Atlantic Road Corridor has been killed off along with the WRC and the rail projects I mentioned.

The Dept of Finance always wins , especially when there is no money and more especially when the Metro North budget including reserve 'contingencies' that the department insists on allocating now accounts for €7bn or 20% of the entire Transport 21 budget and it not even started .

Get with the real program people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The Department of Finance , they are busy trying to reduce a deficit of nearly 5% of GNP in 2009 and are snipping merrily away at capital schemes .

The NRA is to be completely deballed by Finance which neatly explains the sudden and widely dispersed NRA interest in progressing route selection projects nationwide during 2008 .

These selection projects are all suddenly underway on the N11 , N17 , N20 , N15 , N5 , N21, N24, N25 and N4 and also on the Dublin Orbital project. The hope in the NRA is that there will be widespread support for the NRA in their efforts to defend their budgets .

However there is no money in the pipeline for transport and there will be no money for the rest of the Transport 21 temporal envelope . The Atlantic Road Corridor has been killed off along with the WRC and the rail projects I mentioned.

The Dept of Finance always wins , especially when there is no money and more especially when the Metro North budget including reserve 'contingencies' that the department insists on allocating now accounts for €7bn or 20% of the entire Transport 21 budget and it not even started .

Get with the real program people.

I like you. I hope you're right. You back up what I said in public on the airwaves and netwaves over the last few years. But and with respect, you could be just a mere fortune teller, so I wont piggyback on your predictions just yet, as my source hasn't committed to the extent you have. (but nearly) I'll stick with them for now as they buy me pints in the flesh!!!!

DWCommuter wrote: »
    I like you. I hope you're right. You back up what I said in public on the airwaves and netwaves over the last few years. But and with respect, you could be just a mere fortune teller, so I wont piggyback on your predictions just yet, as my source hasn't committed to the extent you have. (but nearly) I'll stick with them for now as they buy me pints in the flesh!!!!

ask YOUR source if senior staff particularly in the Finance side of the NRA are being offered or have been offered ' temporary' 'secondments ' out of the NRA and to where .

Then ask yourself if the NRA will retain the capability to progress PPP projects in the absence of these people .

Follow the Money :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

We have been told that only the Interconnector and Metro North are the only 2 projects that will get the green light (for borrowing). While that is not bad news, we are looking at 2015 for Interconnector and 2017 for Metro North now.

Everything else is long fingered until 2013, i.e it will be shelved and reviewed then.

Phoenix park tunnel anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Wasn't T21 supposed to finish in 2015? Isn't great how bad we are at everything. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Nostradamus

Phoenix Park Tunnel, yes that, and Navan - Drogheda, Dunboyne - Broadstone, and Athlone - Mullingar (Ennis-Athenry as a given).

In other words the 6 rail projects which should of been under development in 2000-2001. Add that to Dart Underground and MN and things really are fairly good. So with a bit of moxy we could still get out of this with our knickers still on.

The Celtic Tiger years were a shocking waste of time and money only to arrive back at the natural course of development before the arrival of spin doctors, PR agencies, benchmarking indulgences and cash drunk civil servants.

I would also add to that the incredible damage done by the "Independent Rail Researchers" and Anglo-Irish trainspotters and all the other various social justice railfrieght and rural rail eccentrics around the country/UK who created massive confusion/distortion within the Irish local and national body politic by taking the focus off what need to be done for the rail commuters.

• Advertisement

We have been told that only the Interconnector and Metro North are the only 2 projects that will get the green light (for borrowing). While that is not bad news, we are looking at 2015 for Interconnector and 2017 for Metro North now.

Everything else is long fingered until 2013, i.e it will be shelved and reviewed then.

Thats precisely what I heard too as I said in these two posts

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56331562&postcount=15

and

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56331050&postcount=11

The only thing that is confusing me is the precise rationale behind opening the interconnector two years before Metro North.

What I was told was that the interconnector will be built above MN in Stephens Green and that the Interconnector has to be fast tracked becuase of disruption to Pearce and Connolly stations and to Heuston to a lesser degree.

MN can be completed at a more leisurely pace because it will only interface with the interconnector HOWEVER Pearce and Connolly disruption may not under ANY circumstances be allowed to last more than 3 years and that ONLY during the intensive phase envisaged as 2012-2014 .

All MN tunnelling in Stephens Green must be completed in 2013 and the low level halls in Stephens Green must be structurally complete by 2014 latest .

This then has a bearing on an ongoing turf war between CIE and the RPA as to who 'controls' the Stephens Green schedule and station , ( aka the Battle of Broadstone in another guise :) ) and CIE have seemingly won that battle because Pearce and Connolly must be finished by end 2014 and the RPA cannot _guarantee that_ , only CIE can it seems :(.

Once Transport and Finance conceded CIE would have to run the Interconnector project and the Stephens Green construction plan they immediately cut the crap out of everything else, nationwide , in preparation for the inevitable cockups and oversights and overruns now they themselves left CIE in charge of things .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭OTK

I think the interconnector requires the KRP and Maynooth electification so these projects are also safe. Dempsey has indicated that he will push for Navan given that it's in his constituency. If he waits until 2013 he may not be still minister so I would imagine this project will be somehow fast-tracked.

Sandyford-Cherrywood will complete as all the developer funding is in and it's half done already.

Surely Citywest Luas (also private) is also safe?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,778 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

isn't the Bray luas also to be levy-funded?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

paulm17781 wrote: »
    Assuming they have cash on hand or the banks are willing. Note the developers will be looking to finance Laus A1 with property sales that might take time.
    loyatemu wrote: »
    Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭markf909

Once Transport and Finance conceded CIE would have to run the Interconnector project and the Stephens Green construction plan they immediately cut the crap out of everything else, nationwide , in preparation for the inevitable cockups and oversights and overruns now they themselves left CIE in charge of things .

Ironically enough, IE have come in on budget on everything since mini CTC I think.

The Interconnector can support diesel or electric running but it could be a tad stinky down there with the oul diesel fumes.

In extremis the Interconnector could require electrification from Kildare - Heuston _Tunnel_Connolly - Howth Junction - Malahide - Balbriggan .

Some is done, not much overall.

Maynooth electrification is to allow Maynooth ( or Dunboyne) - Clonsilla - Connolly and then Connolly - Dart to Greystones or else Connolly - Point Depot area.

So Maynooth electrification is to allow continous running Greystones - Maynooth which will not go via the interconnect tunnel .

All that electrification in CONJUNCTION with rather than as part of the Interconnector looks shocking expensive to me but I am not sure which bits of that may have already been chopped by CIE if indeed any .

Its safe to say that electrification must be tackled in conjunction with the Interconnect Tunnal scheme but I am unsure how much electrification is an integral part of the overall scheme scheme .

Why stop spending when you have a blank chequebook eh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

paulm17781 wrote: »
    loyatemu wrote: »

Point I was making is what is being borrowed for by the exchequer.

Obviously things that have started (eg Luas to Point and Middleton ) will proceed.

As for Sponge Bob, I'm not raining on your parade, I was just waiting for our source to pipe up before posting, just like you did :D

edit - interconnector = DART2 by neccessity or else there is no point doing it

My source in Finance originally sought to tell me that the Atlantic Road Corridor, N18 / N17, Claregalway Bypass Western Rail Corridors were all kyboshed AND that Frank Fahey knew all of this , and was told in no uncertain terms they were all dead , as early as March 2008 .

Transport 21 policy is that the WRC will go to Tuam from Athenry. That will not happen .

I have been kept very busy a keeping Galway People abreast of all Franks lies on Transport ( every fukcing week he lies again :( ) in this long running thread here .

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055291863

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Hmmm, yet Cowen insists on repeating the mantra that we will continue to invest heavily in national infrastructure. Borrowing is sometimes good. We are still miles behind our european neighbours and need to borrow on the basis of a rebounding economy in the medium term. If we all think we're returning to the days of the 1980s then what does an extra few billion debt mean anyway?!

• Advertisement

murphaph wrote: »
    Hmmm, yet Cowen insists on repeating the mantra that we will continue to invest heavily in national infrastructure. Borrowing is sometimes good. We are still miles behind our european neighbours and need to borrow on the basis of a rebounding economy in the medium term. If we all think we're returning to the days of the 1980s then what does an extra few billion debt mean anyway?!

I wish they'd just get on with it. True I don't know the state of public finances but building some tunnels would definitely employ a few...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Prof_V

Schuhart wrote: »
    Has anyone any background to this bit? I don't trust WOT as a source, but there does seem to have been some development re rail freight. All I could find was this document http://www.sustainabletravel.ie/download/1/0804%2023%20Number%20271%20WATERFORD%20PORT.pdf. However, it does not substantiate this figure of 18 trains a week.

Are they, by any chance, including timber trains? There's timber traffic between Mayo and Waterford too, but it doesn't go to the port. However, the figures I have for 2004 are four timber trains and three Norfolk liners each way per week, which comes to 14 (counting both directions). There may have been extra trains added since then, though I can't find any evidence. Note also that Mayo-Waterford traffic currently doesn't come any nearer Dublin than Kildare, where it reverses. Technically, Kildare is in the Greater Dublin Area, but I don't think capacity for these trains is a major issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Prof_V wrote: »
    Are they, by any chance, including timber trains? There's timber traffic between Mayo and Waterford too, but it doesn't go to the port. However, the figures I have for 2004 are four timber trains and three Norfolk liners each way per week, which comes to 14 (counting both directions). There may have been extra trains added since then, though I can't find any evidence. Note also that Mayo-Waterford traffic currently doesn't come any nearer Dublin than Kildare, where it reverses. Technically, Kildare is in the Greater Dublin Area, but I don't think capacity for these trains is a major issue.

It's 4-5 timber trains a week; 2 from Westport and 2-3 from Ballina. Ballina sees 1 or 2 liners in and out a week, again depending on loads. The freight from Mayo used to run via the WRC until the late 90's; even to run it via Athlone and into Athenry would free up space on the Cork and Waterford sections. There is some emphasis by powers that be that the timber runs via rail, the liner is a case of Norfolk finding it economic and speedier to run trains; some other small loads are moved on it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Hamndegger wrote: »
    even to run it via Athlone and into Athenry would free up space on the Cork and Waterford sections.
    Thats a substantially longer route - on single track. It would impair services Athlone-Athenry-Limerick-Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭aliveandkicking

I may be living in a parallel universe or something but why has Metro North's completion date moved from 2013 to 2017 in the space of a couple of months? Whatever about a year or so but FOUR years delay is taking the piss.

Also I was under the impression this project was to be done under a public private partnership meaning the private company finances the whole project with the state paying a fixed sum to them every year for 35? years. If that is the case the state doesn't have to borrow to fund Metro North since it will only cost the government a couple of hundred million a year so why the 4 year delay due to the current downturn in public finances???

Its behind the Interconnector now.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Its behind the Interconnector now.

Yes I know but why? There is no financial reason for this since it's a PPP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭markf909

Metro North is supposed to go to tender in August this year is it not?

Will this now drag out for another few months (years!)?
    How will the govt engineer the slowdown of the metro delivery?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I thought Macnamara pulled the rug from under PPP's feet for those who still believed in that auld private sector risk guff.

I guess this explains why the PPP part of the N8 wil be the last part completed
    " And also, importantly, in a national context, the injection of private finance will accelerate the delivery of the public capital programme."[1]

[1]http://www.nra.ie/PublicPrivatePartnership/

• Advertisement

I thought Macnamara pulled the rug from under PPP's feet for those who still believed in that auld private sector risk guff.

I guess this explains why the PPP part of the N8 wil be the last part completed
    " And also, importantly, in a national context, the injection of private finance will accelerate the delivery of the public capital programme."[1]

[1]http://www.nra.ie/PublicPrivatePartnership/

The McNamara thing was a few Housing regeneration programmes in Dublin City not anything transport related. Basically the council changed the rules on apartment sizes so they had to be built bigger. This impacted on the viability (profit) of the PPPs so McNamara pulled out. Nothing to do with transport projects.

Advertisement