Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway GAA discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Kkboy

Kilkenny have no problem with it, some of the others would oppose it, but its obviously unfair at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Conor Whelan is a good player, and Jack Grealish looked lively.

But you offered way too much space to a very talented Limerick attack, and that's just asking for trouble. Last year Galway did a much better job at containing Limerick, who never hit any sort of rhythm... and last year's team wwas possibly as good as this year's.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Kkboy

nootroc wrote: »
    Thought some of the Leinster counties vetoed the move at underage.

Sould we have a Galway Colleges team?

The Galway Vocational team which produced some exceptional teams in the 00's pretty much acted as one. Don't believe its as strong now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Everything I have said above is still I believe true but seeing how Tipp have worked their way back into an All-Ireland final makes the final quarter fade out in Thurles at the start of the qualifiers all the more difficult to take.

Everything I have said above is still I believe true but seeing how Tipp have worked their way back into an All-Ireland final makes the final quarter fade out in Thurles at the start of the qualifiers all the more difficult to take.

I agree and disagree with you.

I agree there are problems at underage level and we dont seem to be developing enough players with the key skills needed for senior.

But I believe we're underachieved at senior due to poor management the past two years.

With what we have right now, they are as good as whats around..if we were talking pre2012 KK then that would be a diff case.
    Tipp steamrolled everyone since Galway and I saw nothing to think we'dif have came up short if the opposition performances had been identical... Johnny Glynn would have done similar and Cork would have had no answer.

The problem is AC has completely neglected using nippy wide players to compliment are strong spine.
    If we had Corks wide players and our spine it would make some team.

In the short term we just need someone to come in and make a system around JC and JG and there ability to require doubling... This involves fast forwards and not trying to use slow players like Flynn, Mannion, N Burke, D Burke around the two aforementioned.

Take Cooney, Canning and Glynn... Play Canning and Glynn either CF and FF switching neither of them anywhere but those two slots and look to fill the other positions with fast players who can make it first to the breaks they'll create and find the spaces out wide.
    If he'd stay on Hayes filled this role for years before AC decided to never use him there... Maybe try out Whelan in the other corner if no suitable player from a higher age meets the same qualities.

• Advertisement

One down, one to go...

Mulholland has departed at his own request.

Haven't a link, being on the phone, but the Galway Advertiser and Galway GAA have the statement on Facebook.

Just need AC to follow now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

He was a decent manager that didn't have the talent that most of the previous flops had in the last 10 years. To take a team from losing to Antrim to getting to an All-Ireland Quarter Final (don't buy that Tipp are a nothing side like most have said) is good going. But he has left at a good time for both himself and the side. You could foresee the slating he was going to get for the League form next year already.

Hope the apparent expenses issues are sorted because we need a happy camp and guys like Sice and Concannon back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,288 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Who's next lads? Kevin Walsh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

What has Kevin Walsh done to show he's capable of managing us? Not much in my opinion, yet loads of people seem to think he's the man for the job. To be honest if Mulholland was willing to stay on I'd have given him another year, although his lack of any defensive plan whatsoever was worrying.

At least we've been in Croker the last 2 years and got used to the place again. Whoever the manager is, I hope he's in early and puts the team on a serious conditioning plan and toughens them up mentally. Too many soft lads in that team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭MfMan

He was a decent manager that didn't have the talent that most of the previous flops had in the last 10 years. To take a team from losing to Antrim to getting to an All-Ireland Quarter Final (don't buy that Tipp are a nothing side like most have said) is good going. But he has left at a good time for both himself and the side. You could foresee the slating he was going to get for the League form next year already.

Hope the apparent expenses issues are sorted because we need a happy camp and guys like Sice and Concannon back.

I'd agree. A pleasant man who did his best but came up short. Perhaps nothing became him like the start he made when they beat a fancied Derry side away in the league opener in '12, it never really got any better than that. Was too loyal to certain players and lost some important others in a way that, for e.g. O'Mahony wouldn't have allowed. Now is the time to get a really shrewd operator in and develop what's there; perhaps Mayo trainer Donie Buckley could be persuaded to come on board next year, a very good man by all accounts.

As an aside, the Minor manager needs to be changed also. Their loss in Tuam to Mayo a few weeks ago is looking more unforgivable with each passing day and is arguably the worst of all Galway c'ship defeats this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

I don't think Kevin Walsh is the man to take on the seniors yet, he hasn't really done much of note other than beat Galway with Sligo. Was a little lucky to beat St. James's a few weeks ago too I felt, but I'd like to see how he does with Breathnach's for a couple of years before giving him a shot at the county team.
    No idea who's out there to take the team over though. It really isn't a bad looking job, a young team with experience in Croke Park who've shown flashes of real potential but lacking a bit of toughness and bite in defence. If the county board could get themselves in organised (no chance of that sadly) you'd imagine they should be able to attract a good manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,372 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    What has Kevin Walsh done to show he's capable of managing us? Not much in my opinion, yet loads of people seem to think he's the man for the job. To be honest if Mulholland was willing to stay on I'd have given him another year, although his lack of any defensive plan whatsoever was worrying.

Well it's been made quite clear that a Galway man will be the next manager (probably because the county board don't have a pot to piss in).

That makes it a pretty short list of potential candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

MfMan wrote: »
    I'd agree. A pleasant man who did his best but came up short. Perhaps nothing became him like the start he made when they beat a fancied Derry side away in the league opener in '12, it never really got any better than that. Was too loyal to certain players and lost some important others in a way that, for e.g. O'Mahony wouldn't have allowed. Now is the time to get a really shrewd operator in and develop what's there; perhaps Mayo trainer Donie Buckley could be persuaded to come on board next year, a very good man by all accounts.

As an aside, the Minor manager needs to be changed also. Their loss in Tuam to Mayo a few weeks ago is looking more unforgivable with each passing day and is arguably the worst of all Galway c'ship defeats this year.
    The worst was against leitrim in the U21 championship. At least Mayo minors won connacht and have a decent chance to defend their AI title.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

I don't think Kevin Walsh is the man to take on the seniors yet, he hasn't really done much of note other than beat Galway with Sligo. Was a little lucky to beat St. James's a few weeks ago too I felt, but I'd like to see how he does with Breathnach's for a couple of years before giving him a shot at the county team.
    No idea who's out there to take the team over though. It really isn't a bad looking job, a young team with experience in Croke Park who've shown flashes of real potential but lacking a bit of toughness and bite in defence. If the county board could get themselves in organised (no chance of that sadly) you'd imagine they should be able to attract a good manager.
    Also bet Mayo and promoted Sligo to div 2 one year he also won junior AI with Sligo.

For me Mulholland's time in charge was at best mixed but to give him his due he came into it at a difficult time and helped to manage the transition somewhat. He blooded a lot of new players (some others fell through the cracks) and in fairness the younger players seemed to play for him.

I also respect him for taking a stand against the lads drinking. Losing Duane and Concannon was a blow, Duane especially given the defensive woes but this sort of f##king around has been going on in Galway for too long. For me it was better to lay down the law and let lads know that you are either committed to the cause fully or not at all.

Having said that I think our style of play was very naive and there seemed to be a few players who were un-droppable or kept re-appearing despite failing time and again. In terms of conditioning and professionalism we were miles behind. He probably didn't have the resources other counties had but all the same I think we didn't make the sort of progress we needed in terms of defensive setup and in the forwards the movement was non-existent.

I suppose its a case of be careful what you wish for though. I don't think we could have progressed much further under him given our style of play, lack of conditioning etc. but who will improve things? Not sold on Kevin Walsh as of yet but had some good days in charge of Sligo and seems to be doing well with Micheal Breathnachs.

Don't really see anyone else within the county for another few years at least. Looking outside, who is gettable and who would help us adapt to the modern game while not losing our strengths? There are candidates out there but doubt we'll be in a position to look too far from home.

Whoever comes in the setup has to get more professional and we need to give this panel every chance of closing the gap and in time competing against the top teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

Kevin Walsh is the best we can hope for and I hope he wants it.
    A,M was not a bad manager at all, he brought us on a lot after some dour managers (Liam Salmon excluded ) but he has had enough so I cant blame him for leaving.
    I hope they give Walsh a shot at it, better than any mercenary and we cant afford one anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,392 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Galway have a big opportunity here and a big decision to make.

They need a man who has the head for a professional setup that can bring this team to the next level and improve them over the next few years.

They have been to CP twice now in as many years, going one step further this year than last, and regardless of the final score v Kerry it was a huge learning experience.
    I would see it as similar to Mayo's situation in 2011.

Connaught will be a bit more open next year and Galway would play Mayo at home of they meet, so the opportunity to win Connaught band get beyond a QF is very much there.

But they need a professional guy who will develop them just like the likes of Mayo, Donegal and Dublin have developed in the past few years.

I don't know who that person is, but he's not Kevin Walsh or an out of county mercenary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Looks like Walsh...

BvkcDxtCAAIPRYz.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

I don't have any insight into the inner workings of Galway football and maybe there's a man in there for the job that I have never heard of, but looking in from the outside the only obvious candidate is Walsh and I'd be amazed if they went for anyone else that is known outside the county. For what it's worth I think Walsh is underrated and the quality of the Sligo team he managed is massively overrated. He took them about as far as anyone could have done, although they left a Connacht title behind them in 2010 by losing to a poor Roscommon side.

I don't have any insight into the inner workings of Galway football and maybe there's a man in there for the job that I have never heard of, but looking in from the outside the only obvious candidate is Walsh and I'd be amazed if they went for anyone else that is known outside the county. For what it's worth I think Walsh is underrated and the quality of the Sligo team he managed is massively overrated. He took them about as far as anyone could have done, although they left a Connacht title behind them in 2010 by losing to a poor Roscommon side.

Walsh might not be a bad appointment but only if he gets the proper help with his backroom team. All the top teams (Dublin, Donegal, Mayo ,Kerry, etc) have a top quality strength and conditioning coach, a top class football coach, nutritionists and even a sports psychologist. Remains to be seen whether the Galway county board are willing to shell out for all that. I doubt it somehow but that's what you have to do these days to compete with counties which have virtually professional set ups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Were Mullholland's backroom team that poorly resourced?? Surely they had a nutritionist/dietician and a sport's psychologist coming in? FFS my local club has those coming in every so often.
    I've been reading bits about some "mountain south" debacle that the hurling board financed before football and hurling were merged into one and now the footballers are basically being punished financially as it was a total bust. Anyone know what happened there?

It was the land out in Athenry for the hurling centre of excellence IIRC and it was a complete disaster unsurprisingly. The land is worth ****eall now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Find it hard to understand why people are so hard on Walsh. Like, he managed Sligo, what did ye expect him to achieve with them? Thought he did quite well with them overall. He probably has more inter-county management experience that anybody else who would like the job. Not sure he is the right guy for the job but struggle to understand how so many posters think he is not.

Or maybe Horan will lose the AI final with Mayo this year, quit the Mayo job, take the Galway job and win an All-Ireland with us next year! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭blowitupref

In fairness that Roscommon side got close to winning back to back titles in 2011. Eamon O Hara had the opinion that Sligo also left a Connacht title behind them in 2012 however Sligo were very inconsistent under Kevin Walsh they were able to beat Mayo,Galway almost beat Kerry away or lose to the likes of leitrim,Wicklow,London.

Galway with the talent they have available to them (pick of two u21 AI winning teams) should be top eight at least and it should be attractive post for any keen manager.

I learned that Shane Moloney is still eligible for U-21's and he starts tonight. Here's the side:

1. Shane Mannion (Clarinbridge)
    2. Dara Donohue (Kilnadeema Leitrim)
    3. John Hanbury (Rahoon/Newcastle)
    4. Paul Killeen (Tynagh Abbey-Duniry)
    5. Barry Keane (Clarinbridge)
    6. Dean Higgins (Castlegar)
    7. Adrian Tuohy (Beagh)
    8. Cormac Diviney (Ardrahan)
    9. Eanna Burke (St. Thomas)
    10. Padraic Brehony (Tynagh-Abbey-Duniry)
    11. Shane Moloney (Tynagh-Abbey-Duniry)
    12. Cathal Mannion (Ahascragh/Fohenagh)
    13. Darragh Dolan (Cappataggle)
    14. Jonathan Glynn (Ardrahan)
    15. Jason Flynn (Tommie Larkins)

Galway one up at HT 1:14 to 1:13

Super game so far. Brehony, Moloney and Glynn have been excellent but very suspect at HB. Guiney looks dangerous whenever a ball is knocked into him.

Lively game so far. Johnny Glynn has started to come into the game, Padraig Brehony has showed very well. Cathal Mannion has done well in patches but defensively Galway look a bit of a shambles. Wexford have some classy forwards but really their scores are coming far too easy in many cases. The goal was very poor defensively.

Don't know does it matter hugely who comes through this as can see neither backline containing Clare in the final but a win would be a welcome boost all the same.

Earlier in the day, the ladies footballers had a good win over Monaghan, started slowly but came into the game well and finished strongly. Some of the younger players look top quality. Don't know will they win the All-Ireland this year but at least they avenged their defeat to the same opponents last year which should give them confidence ahead of the semi-final.

Galway one up at HT 1:14 to 1:13

Super game so far. Brehony, Moloney and Glynn have been excellent but very suspect at HB. Guiney looks dangerous whenever a ball is knocked into him.

I got out of jail bet wise going HT-FT, took 4 points in 3 mins to creep over... Yikes.

Brehony having a stormer but we saw flashes of that potential this year in senior.

Glynn killing them in the air... Ffs you wouldn't think it would take a genius to build a plan around that with the added bonus of having JC too who's capable of likewise.... Shouldn't be hard to get a competitive senior team with that as a starting point, certainly should be better than solitary Laois wins over 2 yrs which needed luck in themselves.

Both set of backs look poor although I think Galway's look slightly worse. Might be enough to swing the game Wexford's way despite Brehony's heroics.

And is it just me or does Kirwan seem to be giving Wexford frees a lot easier?

• Advertisement

Eanna Burke is having a nightmare

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement