Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 to 3

Options
  • 04-01-2014 1:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭

OK - so here goes. Following 36 1/2 years of slovenly exercise avoidance, two years ago (almost to the day) I became a runner. To cut a long story short, I've done a nice few running races from 5k to marathon, along with a couple of adventure races (which I loved), in that time. With some injuries along the way, thankfully none hugely serious, I was motoring nicely (with one notable hiccup) till late August of last year when I started getting calf problems (bad muscle knotting culminating in damage to anterior tibialis probably due to me failing to look after it properly).

I've run intermittently since then, though I did complete DCM13 and, to be honest, I've kinda lost the enjoyment in running 6 days a week like I was. It was becoming more a chore than a pleasure. At the same time I've started enjoying getting out on my bike (courtesy of the clotheshorse to work scheme) and a new pool has just opened near home so, with tri very much in mind, I've joined. I'm not a strong swimmer by any means - I can manage quite a bit of breaststroke but very little FC. So that's a work very much in progress.

Since the nice people in the A/R forum like to hear about just athletics & running, I'm rehoming myself and moving from 1 sport to 3 (1 to 3 - geddit?). I've yet to come up with a new trisport excel spreadsheet to record my activities. And I have to sort out my spare back wheel for my turbo trainer (there'll be a separate thread). And I've to apply for tri and cycling club membership. And renew my membership of the athletics club ('cos I don't live near where the tri clubs are based, so I'll probably train with the local clubs). And I've to start getting used to getting into and out of my new wetsuit. Yep I've all of the gadgets but little else.

So the plan for this year includes several running races, a couple of sportives, maybe a couple of adventure races and a couple of du's/tri's. I'm not expecting to be competitive but I want to enjoy them and not disgrace myself. Let's see what happens.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Are you going to do any training or are you just camping over here in the lycra forum for the craic?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Smart ass. I'm just trying to avoid the verbal diarrhoea of the last log. I'll update tomorrow after whatever it brings...

Yourself and Runchick came to mind today actually. Was at the Young Scientists' exhibition and there was one project comparing the effects on fitness of morning vs evening training. Conclusion was that fitness increases more by morning training than by evening training. When you see my log update you'll see why that's good news for me...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Moving your log to the the tri forum is like admitting you'll bever be a runner again. For shame! :eek:

Moving your log to the the tri forum is like admitting you'll bever be a runner again. For shame! :eek:

But I am a runner - it's just I'll also be a cyclist and a swimmer too!

Normally for me, in exams and stuff, I've played to my strengths and tried to limp along with my weaknesses. This won't work here. My weakest sport of the SBR is swimming and if I don't do something about it, I'll drown. Within my weak swimming skills are particularly weak FC skills. Also, a couple of years of studying followed by a couple of years of just running has left me with enough muscle in my shoulders to eat, wash my hair and reach up to the top shelf for Pringles, but little more.

So just after Christmas I started going to the pool and, so far, have done so three times a week. Aim for each visit is to do 30 lengths, or 750m. It's not yet done without stopping but I'm working to a 5x6 lengths routine. I'm at the point now where the first of each 6 lengths is FC and the rest are BRS and I'm working towards stringing two consecutive lengths of FC together (from little acorns...). Really going to have to find me some swim coaching though - I'm pretty sure my technique is rubbish.

So swimming so far has been:
    750m - 27/12, 31/12, 3/1, 6/1, 8/1 & 10/1. It feels like I'm improving a little - my shoulders certainly know each time I get out that they've been busy.

Aside from swimming, I've had two runs in the new year. First was a handy 8.3k in around 50 mins on 6/1. Unspectacular by design - average pace was 6.01/km, average HR was 132bpm. Second one was today - Ferrycarrig 5m. Mrs. D bought me this as part of my Christmas present (along with The Grid, which was wholly welcomed despite the pain it's unleashed). Had low expectations for this, given my low mileage for the last couple of months. Spoke to a friend beforehand and he asked me what time I'd do and I truthfully told him I didn't know but that I knew it wouldn't be under 35 mins (which is a fair bit slower pace than my 10k PB from last April of just under 40 mins). Lots of water (and injuries) under the bridge since then though.

Closer we got to the start time, the windier and wetter it got till it was properly raining and blowing a gale just as 1pm came. Myself and Mrs. D ploughed on anyway and stuck together from shortly after the start. First bit wasn't too bad, mostly down hill though into the wind and rain. Mile 1 was completed pretty quickly. We were out on the N11 soon enough and the wind & rain were at our backs. This was grand as long as it lasted but we were soon enough turning off again and with the rain coming across us, then into our faces for the last section. After mile 4 Mrs. D was starting to lag behind so I started trying to goad her into pushing on a bit more but she ended up telling me to feck off and run ahead as hard as I could. With about a half mile to go I did that and came in with a chip time of 34:56 (though my watch said 34:50), avg HR of 170, max HR of 183. Mrs D came in with a chip time of 35:10, 9 seconds outside her PB for the distance. She said I looked comfortable but the data shows I was under pressure throughout. Km paces were 4.16, 4.19, 4.21, 4.14, 4.18, 4.24, 4.23, 4.17 & 3.49 for the last few metres. Corresponding avg HRs were: 164, 170, 171, 168, 171, 172, 172, 176, 183.

Nice fair course though and the souvenir towel was very useful at the end. There were hot showers available too, for those who were well enough prepared that they brought a change of clothes with them. Apparently there was a good spread of food there too but I had to fly and bring the kids off somewhere so I didn't get to partake.

No cycling so far this year - the wind has put me off and I still haven't gotten round to getting my turbo wheel fixed. Not only is the cassette not lining up with the derailleur, but the brakes are not lining up either. I'm suspecting that well-meaning man who changed the bearings before selling me the wheel may have made a balls of something.:mad:

• Advertisement

Nice race there considering you haven't done much running recently! Did Santa bring you any nice toys?

Thanks K - I was quite pleased. And I can still walk, which was a bonus when I went to the pool for 7 this morning.

As far as Santa is concerned, there was no stand-out bling like a new gps watch or anything but I think I did very well. I got two running gifts (this race and the grid), two cycling gifts and two music gifts. Get anything nice yourself.

Slacker :P

Slacker :P

Patience woman! ;)

OK a little bit later than SOME people expected :D:

Was planning to do a small local adventure race (Taghmon/Camross GAA's Mud, Sweat & Tears) yesterday. Start of the week was fine - swim 30 lengths before work on Monday and Wednesday. Started getting a dose on Tuesday though and it was getting progressively worse as the week went on - there was a danger of it descending into man-flu - so I decided not to enter the race. Being wet on a windy 3°C day wouldn't have been a good idea. Skipped the Friday morning swim too (for the same reason) but did it on Saturday afternoon, the usual 30 lengths. Also swam this morning, but concentrated on trying to do more FC than normal. Managed 20 lengths FC in total (non-continuous), plus 2 BRS to warm up and cool down.

Then this evening I had to drop off Mrs D's car to my friend's house so I ran home the long way - 14.65km in just under 80 mins. Found it tough going - light was fading, it was getting cold again and I was under pressure to get home and bring the young lad to his bus. Managed it anyway - my first double. My chart for the year is not very impressive so far but hopefully it'll start to fill up a bit as the weeks progress. Trying to balance the 3 sports is going to be a challenge but it should be fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭druss

Dilbert75 wrote: »

Was planning to do a small local adventure race (Taghmon/Camross GAA's Mud, Sweat & Tears) yesterday.

May I just say, I am kind of glad reading through this that you dropped out of Taghmon. :P

I wimped out of Ferrycarrig because i'd done no training, was sleep deprived, and it was kind of windy out. Impressed that you could just lash a sub 35 out in those conditions and with a lack of base behind you.

I also wimped out Taghmon. Never did one of those mudbath yokes, but this was close by and didn't look that intense. Then man-flu, bad weather, still no sleep and i dropped out of that too.

There is only so much self recrimination i can take in one thread!

Do you think you'll have run out of excuses, sorry, caught up with sleep by Feb 15th? If so you might be interested in the 5k Valentine's Muckfest in Tullow... sounds like fun to me.

Just keeping you honest :p

Do you think you'll have run out of excuses, sorry, caught up with sleep by Feb 15th? If so you might be interested in the 5k Valentine's Muckfest in Tullow... sounds like fun to me.

Highly unlikely that i'll ever catch up on sleep this year. But I will bear Tullow in mind. You going to do Enniscorthy or Duncannon?

Almost certainly not Enniscorthy (Rosslare Duathlon and confirmation mass both on same morning myself and Mrs D will be competing to get our event on the calendar). Possibly Duncannon but not sure yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Jaysus.....dirty weekend eh!:p

OK - bit of a dip from plan this week. Yeah I know - only three weeks in and dipping already...:o

Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings: 750m swim. Instead of 5x 150m with 1x 25m FC per set, I went for 3x 200m + 1x 150m with 2x1x25m FC (non-consecutive) in each set - in plain English: 30 lengths with 8 FC and 22 BRS where previously I was doing 30 with 5 FC and 25 BRS. Progress, however small.

Tuesday morning: 35 mins on TT. Didn't think I could sweat so much in my kitchen. Going to have to figure out how to graph my TT time when I'm just using 1st gear and am not counting distance. Maybe I'll just do all my cycling in terms of time, not distance. Or maybe not. Answers on a postcard.

Wednesday evening: Session with running club. Total of 12.2km incl. 8x100m strides (100m recovery jog in between) and 10x 400m <5k pace (60-90s standing recovery in between). Nicely tiring.

Thursday:
    Working late & Dad's taxi duty. Planned a run or more TT fun but ended up not.

Saturday: 7.8km run out to my friend's house to collect Mrs. D's car. Strong westerly wind (behind me most of the way), which was grand but for the fact that it had heavy rain with it. Ended up doing it much faster than expected - running up long steep hills at <4:45/km. Got SOAKED though. Would have been better in the wetsuit.

Sunday: Nothing today. Went to Dublin and back last night for a concert and ended up sitting in a chipper half way home eating curry chips & drinking 7 up at half past midnight. Was therefore late up this morning and, as Mrs. D was heading off to the Dungarvan 10 (she chicked my last year's time by 14s:() so I got to do the supermarket shopping :mad:. Other stuff on this afternoon so I called it quits for the week. Tomorrow's another day.

Monday
    AM: Swim - 3x200m (incl. 2x25m FC, 6x25m BRS) & 1x150m (2x25m FC, 4x25m BRS)

Wednesday

Thursday
    PM: Run - 8km in 44min, avg HR 147bpm

Friday
    PM: Run - 10.09km in 1:00, avg HR 136bpm

Sunday
    AM: Run - 16.09km in 1:24, avg HR 147bpm
    AM: Swim - 500m (20x25m FC) - followed by sauna and jacuzzi!:D

Overall
    Reasonably good week. The swimming is definitely improving - I'm feeling stronger and don't feel as beaten every time I get out. Don't get me wrong, I still need to take breaks after each length but today's session in particular showed me I can string consecutive lengths together when I'm not under time pressure. Just need to string them closer together.

Three runs is a good improvement too. Felt under pressure for all of them, even the slow Friday run, but I did them. Thinking of seeing if I can gather a small group from work to go running after work maybe twice a week, to give me a bit of company.

I just need to get more bike work done - in the short term the turbo will be the way forward I think, cos family commitments over the next few weeks preclude me from cycling with the local club on Sunday mornings. I was caught with Dad-duty today but my lack of saddle time was the main reason I missed the local club's 100k sportive and that pee'd me off no end.

Still 7 training sessions in a week is not bad going.

Monday

Tuesday
    AM: Turbo session. Hadn't the foresight to get it set up beforehand. Or to go to bed early. Or to buy a computer that would play the Tacx DVD within 10 minutes of being asked. Ended up getting just over 22 mins at avg cadence 83rpm and avg HR 112bpm.

Wednesday

Thursday
    AM: Turbo session. Bit more organised this time. Ended up getting in 36 mins at avg cadence 92 rpm, avg HR 121bpm.

PM: Run - 10.38km in 57min, avg HR 150bpm

Friday
    AM: Swim - 30 lengths continuous with 1xFC & 3xBRS, so total of 8xFC & 22xBRS. First time swimming 750m without resting. :D

Sunday
    AM: Long Run - 17.55km in 1:27, avg. HR 164bpm (max was 183bpm:eek:) Was planning to run 16km at about 5:30/km pace but was feeling good so went further and faster, just to see what'd happen. Ended up averaging faster than PPMP (previous planned marathon pace), so was happy. Didn't feel too dead afterwards either and thought I could have gone further if I hadn't been on Dad-duty soon after.

PM: 4km walk with dog. Then swim: 750m (30 lengths) FC. Not continuous but the furthest I've gone FC so far, so happy with that (and I'm going to conveniently ignore the fact that it looked more like the death throes of a harpooned whale than the graceful stroke of a wild dolphin). I'm tired now.

Overall
    Another 8-session week, which can't be bad. Have decided some goals for the coming year - including having booked my first tri (or it'll be my first if I don't do another one before then!:p). And I'm teetering on the edge of deciding to do Hell & Back with a gang from work in June.

BTW two attachments: 1 is my YTD (though I'm not entirely happy with it still) and the other captures my outlook quite well.

• Advertisement

Bit of a mixed-up week this week. Started well, fizzled out a bit.

Monday AM 30 lengths of the pool continuous in sets of 1xFC & 3xBRS. Working late so no run in the evening - not too fussed though.

Tuesday AM 43 mins on the turbo, watching a Tacx video, hence the strange duration. Sweated like a pig - the video I chose started off on level 9.

Wednesday AM 30 lengths of the pool, again continuous in sets of 1xFC & 3xBRS. Wasn't tempted to brave the storms in the evening for the club run session - and I was passing the track twice within about 20 mins and the lights had failed the second time I went by. (Though they were back again the following day).

Thursday AM Repeated the 43 mins on the turbo, using Tacx video again. Some twit in a dark blue Renault Clio Williams is taking the pi$$ - he passed me at the same place on both Tuesday and Thursday mornings. :mad:

Friday AM No morning swim due to this. Safe to say this is a big hiccup in my tri training plans. There's one other pool locally, in a hotel, and apparently it was jammers even before this and very difficult to get a good swim in. Now there's a bunch of extra short-term members, plus the local swimming club, trying to get in there. Need a Plan C.

So instead I asked Mrs. D to create a workout using our 5kg kettlebells. I didn't get far into it before the glutes and hamstrings started giving out. Cycled to work with soft tyres on my old heavy mountain bike too. But it's not far so it doesn't count for much.

Planned to go running in the evening and it had cleared up in time for the club session but I was out of work late and ate too close to the time. So I relaxed with a glass of red wine instead.

Saturday PM Did the 5k Valentines Muckfest in Tullow, Co. Carlow. Great craic, 5km with 35 obstacles including into and out of the river a few times. Not that awful challenging but good fun. And my glutes and hamstrings took another hammering.

Sunday PM Had planned a brick session of turbo and run for this morning. Then my *lovely* next door neighbours decided that it was great craic to make loads of noise at 3am and I was awake then till 5am.:mad: So it was too late when I got up and ate to get the session in before I brought my son to win a county silver medal for underage cross-country relay just outside Wexford town!:D

So I went with Plan C and visited the pool in Wexford, bought a 10-swim ticket and will try get to it twice a week for the time being. 50 lengths done (25m) with sets of 2xFC and 2xBRS. If I'm going to be limited in swims I need to start getting the most from them.

Overall Bit of a step up in biking, feel the swimming is still coming on, need to do more running. If it ever becomes possible to run outside without needing a bloody wetsuit.

The pool roof was the main topic of conversation in our office for a bit. It should have occurred to me that it was also part of your Triathlon-conversion plans!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

If you ever want to come out for a cycle with any of the Wexford triheads, give me a shout.

Thanks Oryx - might do that. Had planned to join the tri club and take in the coached swimming - and God knows I could do with some coaching - but I can't make the nights it's on. Will prob end up joining anyway, sooner or later.

Monday
    AM - Kettlebell circuit

Tuesday
    AM - 10.1km run in 52:57, avg pace 5:15/km, avg HR 139bpm
    PM - 60 lengths of 25m pool in sets of 2xFC & 2xBRS

Wednesday
    PM 12.9km incl. 8x100m strides & 5x900m (3:44, 3:38, 3:34, 3:39, 3:44), avg HR 147bpm

Thursday, Friday & Saturday
    Nada.

Sunday
    AM: 13.5km in 1:11. No HR data as I brought the wrong HRM strap with me. :( Found it hard - very windy and wet and I was tired. Followed straight away by 40 lengths of 25m pool. Pool was a bit packed though so kids were even straying into the swimming lane. :mad: Was tired, hungry & thirsty after the run so I wasn't in the most patient form.

Overall
    No cycling bar to & from work one day. Need to fix that this week. Swimming was ok and running was pretty ok too.

OK more than time for an update. They've been a bit sporadic lately, just like the training. :(

Monday AM 24/2
    Kettlebells. Arms still feel weedy.

Tuesday AM 25/2
    Turbo - 43 mins with Tacx video again. Avg HR 145bpm, avg cadence = 85.5rpm

Wednesday PM 26/2
    Swim - 50 lengths in 2xFC + 2xBRS sets - total 26xFC + 24xBRS

Rest of week
    Stomach bug - no exercise

Sunday AM 02/03
    Run 15.93km in 1:23, avg HR 143bpm

Wednesday AM 05/03
    Run 8km in 40:52, avg HR 140bpm

Friday AM 07/03
    Turbo - 31 mins: 5 mins low resistance, 1 min high, 4 mins low, 1 min high, 3 mins low, 1 min high, 2 mins low, 1 min high, 1 min low, 1 min high, 2 mins low, 1 min high, 3 mins low, 1 min high, 4 mins low. Avg HR 138bpm, avg cadence = 82.5rpm

Friday PM 07/03
    13.8km in 1:14. Avg HR 147bpm

Saturday PM 08/03
    Was just meant to be an hour of walking the dog but it turned into 2.5 hours, so thought it worth mentioning as an excuse for not doing any S/B/R.

Tuesday AM 11/03
    Run 8km in 39:15. Avg HR 151bpm

Wednesday PM 12/03
    Run - club session - incl. 3x900m with 60s rest & 3x300m with 75s rest. Total 8.7km. Avg HR 155bpm

Sunday AM 16/03
    Unexpected turn-up for the books. Got talked into entering the county novice road race. 6km - 2 laps - of a mostly-reasonable course (with a hewer of a hill in the middle). To cut a long story short I did the 6km in 23:40 (avg HR 176bpm) and finished 26th, making the fourth member of our team and a county team bronze medal. Nice to meet up with fellow Boardsie Druss too - he also had a good run. Followed this with a trip to the pool and did 40 lengths in my customary 2xFC + 2xBRS sets.

Then fell asleep in front of the F1 that I'd recorded.:eek:

Great running Dilbert. After around 2k I'd lost sight of you and you were at least a minute ahead of me by the finish line.

Well done on the County medal. A much bigger field than recent years, so it was hard earned!

Great stuff yesterday!

F1 is boring anyway - no wonder you fell asleep :p

Thanks guys - I'm under no illusions that it makes me the next Blockic or anything but it'll be something nice to stick in a drawer. Onwards and upwards - or maybe onwards and onwards - time will tell.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys - I'm under no illusions that it makes me the next Blockic or anything but it'll be something nice to stick in a drawer. Onwards and upwards - or maybe onwards and onwards - time will tell.
    Nah you've plenty of speed in those legs ..... what's more of a surprise is that you actually updated the log :P

Advertisement