Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dragon Age: Inquisition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

i cba watching the video again but i could have sworn it was a woman in the trailer..

The last line that Sand is talking about was delivered by a male voice. Other than that, yeah, French-ish accented woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭Sand

There are several voice actors in the video. The female voice actor was that NPC who pulls a sword on the protagonist. There is a male voice actor for the dwarf guy from DA 2.

The male voice actor I'm referring to is the protagonist - the character dressed like a tramp.

@Varik
    Then play as a woman, it's probably Jennifer Hale.

May have to, to avoid having to turn off the sound, but surely they can find a better male voice actor? And even Jennifer Hale is going to face a challenge with clunky writing like Gaider is serving up with that inquisition speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Sand wrote: »
    May have to, to avoid having to turn off the sound, but surely they can find a better male voice actor? And even Jennifer Hale is going to face a challenge with clunky writing like Gaider is serving up with that inquisition speech.

I think there suppose to be 2 male and 2 female voices. So maybe the other male voice will be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭Varik

wes wrote: »
    I think there suppose to be 2 male and 2 female voices. So maybe the other male voice will be better.

It's only 1 promo trailer, who knows if it's even in the final game and not just for the trailer to name drop "inquisition".

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Varik wrote: »
    It's only 1 promo trailer, who knows if it's even in the final game and not just for the trailer to name drop "inquisition".

Too much story revealed I think. The early DAO trailers were very much just tone, it wasn't clear at all what the story was going to be like other than there were Darkspawn and you presumably would be one of the Grey Wardens defending against them, but even this was not really filled out.

Here we're being shown a lot more. It's possible it'll change drastically but I doubt it, if they wanted to just name drop we'd have seen a very different trailer from them.

• Advertisement

nesf wrote: »
    Too much story revealed I think. The early DAO trailers were very much just tone, it wasn't clear at all what the story was going to be like other than there were Darkspawn and you presumably would be one of the Grey Wardens defending against them, but even this was not really filled out.

Here we're being shown a lot more. It's possible it'll change drastically but I doubt it, if they wanted to just name drop we'd have seen a very different trailer from them.

Was mainly referring to the dodgy voice acting and the unnaturally delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭GetInTheHole!

Do we take from this that the Darkspawn threat is gone now?

Also is there any link to DA Origins / DA 2?

From the other games, there is always some underground.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

I'd be surprised if the deep roads weren't in it tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

Well they always for the most part go back underground when there isn't a blight, so it makes sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Been pushed back till November 21st.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Xenji wrote: »

Good , October wad abit hectic for choosing games to buy and play ha

Xenji wrote: »

sounds as though that's a christmas sales ploy, they must be expecting awesome reviews
    Mark Darrah said, "While this extra few weeks may not seem like a lot, I know the game you'll play will be all the better for it."

Darrah added, "This last bit of time is about polishing the experience we want you to see. Ensuring that our open spaces are as engaging as possible. Strengthening the emotional impact of the Hero's choices. And ensuring the experience you get is the best it can be in the platform you choose to play on."

source

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

It's going to be EPIC.
    Might be a system seller for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

I loved origins but the massive negative feedback on DA2 made me completetely avoid it.

If this got as good reviews (and general player feedback) as DA:O id get it for sure. Anything like DA2 and nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Spunge wrote: »
    I loved origins but the massive negative feedback on DA2 made me completetely avoid it.
    DA 2 isn't as bad as people let on. The story isn't as good, but its still good enough. I didn't like that it went so action-y in combat. Really, the biggest sin of that game was the ending. It felt like they were sticking up the middle finger, saying F you, wait for the sequel. I loved Origins and I thought the story in Awakening was even better. I think if they had actually followed through and did an expansion a la Awakening, I'd think more fondly of DA 2, but it isn't so bad that you should avoid it. Just be aware the ending is woeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Spunge wrote: »

If this got as good reviews (and general player feedback) as DA:O id get it for sure. Anything like DA2 and nope.

But you never played it. Should you be basing your gaming habits on what everyone else is doing? Most people have games they love that everyone else hates and vice versa. There are threads about this issue for a reason.

I like popular games like Halo and GTA but if all you do is listen to everyone else, you miss out on games you will enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

DA 2 wasn't that bad but it absolutely did stick two fingers up to fans of the original and even to new comers, the single biggest issue for me was the recycled dungeons. You went to an area in the world and it was the same dungeon in reverse from another part of the world shamelessly and lazily copy/pasted in. Thats bad but coming from someone like Bioware was appallingly bad.

I've faith they listened to people since and might get back on track with DA:3 but I'll be cautious about it.

Yeah, the recycled dungeons was my biggest issue with it as well. I'd guess it was time constraints rather than laziness though so the fact that Inquisition is taking a while is a good thing I think.
    The combat and dumbed down equipment were a step down from Origins too but that said I still thought it was a very enjoyable game...but then one of my favourite aspects of it is the setting and lore and the inclusion of some Origin's characters and references to the Hero of Ferelden were great.

By the way, for anyone interested you can sign up to try and get access to the closed beta for the keep here:

https://dragonagekeep.com/en_US/

Unfortunately it's looking unlikely you'll be able to import old saves which is apparently down to the change in game engine.

• Advertisement

sin0city wrote: »
    By the way, for anyone interested you can sign up to try and get access to the closed beta for the keep here:

Unfortunately it's looking unlikely you'll be able to import old saves which is apparently down to the change in game engine.

The game engine shouldn't matter, they just don't want to be stuck with the options chosen in the last games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

sin0city wrote: »

From a quick look at that site, it seems from the wording they expect people to define their history there when it becomes available as an option on there

Grand as long as you can even remember
    What is the Dragon Age Keep?
    Within the Dragon Age Keep, you’ll be able to customize a Dragon Age historical world state to your exact specifications drawn from Dragon Age: Origins and Dragon Age II story decisions. These include hero attributes, companion details, quest results, and more. Customize as much or as little as you wish. Then you'll be able to import your saved world state into Dragon Age Inquisition at the start of a new game. For new players, the Keep will serve as a great way to understand the people, places, and events that shaped the world leading up to DAI.

I know it's far from a major issue but I really hate when developers promise something and don't deliver, if in doubt about it say nothing is always better.

Varik wrote: »
    The game engine shouldn't matter, they just don't want to be stuck with the options chosen in the last games.

Maybe it's not that big a deal but it seems to be part of the reason. Anyway, if it's a lot of hassle I'd prefer they spend the time making Inquisition as stable as possible.

"Very early in the planning of DAI, we began to think about how we were going to address the issue of importing save game files," wrote Dragon Age executive producer Mark Darrah. "We were dealing with a brand new game engine, plus the next generation of consoles. It was a priority that our fans be able to have their decisions carry forward, regardless of their past or future platform."

"An import from DAO to DA2 brought across something in the order of 600 different data points, most requiring complex logic solving to answer correctly the question of 'how did the player settle this choice at the end of the game.' As a result, some current save imports are buggy, which is our fault, and something we're committed to fixing. Permanently. The Keep allows us to do just that. Users of the Keep won't have to suffer with these types of logic inconsistencies any longer," said Darrah.

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/dragon-age-keep-helps-bioware-with-save-transfers

Surely the change in engine would make the process even more complex and with more room for error.

I don't see how they wouldn't want to be stuck with options from the last game when the point of the keep is supposed to be to enable you to begin Inquisition with any possible scenario from the previous installments.
    calex71 wrote: »
    From a quick look at that site, it seems from the wording they expect people to define their history there when it becomes available as an option on there

Grand as long as you can even remember

I know it's far from a major issue but I really hate when developers promise something and don't deliver, if in doubt about it say nothing is always better.

I would have preferred to be able to just import my save but if you can't remember why even bother with it. Just hit new game and fire ahead.

And if you can remember it's great to have the keep if importing saves isn't an option. If you've played through multiple times you could have a mix or change decisions you may not have been happy with

Have faith in them. They dropped the ball a bit with the Mass Effect ending and Dragon Age 2. I think/hope they'll put it right with this.

Dragon Age will take between 150-200 hours to finish all its content, main story will be between 20-40 hours.
    Dragon Age: Inquisition will take players between 150 and 200 hours to complete all content, according to BioWare producer Cameron Lee. Dragon Age games have always been long, meaty affairs, but the world has changed since the release of Dragon Age 2. Does BioWare think players who are a few years older and, more than likely, have more life responsibilities will come back to spend more than a full week's worth of time playing one game?

Well, yes. Lee believes that there is still a place for the long game in our current market, and Inquisition has been built with those players in mind. The customary "long game" of BioWare's stories has become something of a genre in and of itself.

"We want to give our players a real world to explore — we want to give them a BioWare story," Lee said. "A really vast, epic BioWare story. That's what we do, and it normally takes 20 to 40 hours anyway to tell the story we want to tell."

Granted, players could stick to the main story and do nothing else, and still find a meaningful experience within Inquisition. But it wouldn't be the same as taking the time to explore Inquisition's every nook and cranny, killing off undead, breaking into abandoned houses, collecting loot and taking out enemies with some really satisfying combat moves. Lots of little things stacked together — from combat to story to romance options — make the Dragon Age games what they are, and skipping over all of it to just get the bare-bones story is actually doing yourself a disservice.

"People could burn through it and just do the main path, but we wanted to have a world that's fully immersive and well-defined for you to explore, discover and get involved in," Lee said. "We want you to see you decision have an impact and take shape in the world.

"We're just making more. More and more and more. And it's all entirely up to the player. It's your world, your game."

In addition to the single-player campaign, players can try their hand in multiplayer, where they can quest with friends and earn more items. Lee said that BioWare began experimenting with multiplayer "quite early" in development, and knew there were possibilities there, but it wasn't implemented until they had a clear story for it. Players will control agents of the Inquisition out questing together, and once those light narrative elements were settled on, BioWare began working within the Frostbite 3 engine to make the "dungeon-delve" multiplayer a reality.

However, these experiences and items will not transfer into the single-player mode. BioWare made the decision to keep these two modes completely separate, even so far as to not let the loot you grab carry over, because not all Dragon Age players may be the online team-game type.

"There's no gameplay connection between them," Lee said. "We wanted that because we didn't want to impact the story in negative ways, because some players may play both modes and some may not.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/10/9/6951425/dragon-age-inquisition-long-game

One word: nice!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I doubt a single playthrough would last 150-200 hours, rather all the different paths that you can chose would add to 150-200 hours, if you could do them all (which they've said you can't) in a single run. Not that i'm complaining. Anything over 50+ hours is brilliant in my view. Really looking forward to it.

Also really looking forward to seeing how the multiplayer is implemented. After the awesomeness that was ME3 multiplayer, i have high hopes for it.

What multi-player?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

GodlessM wrote: »
    What multi-player?
    This multiplayer.

Nice, it's effectively ME3's multiplayer without having war assets. If it's even remotely like ME3MP it'll be great

• Advertisement

Glad they are not taking a page out of Ubisofts book and going with console parity to avoid debates over performance issues.
    Confirmed: #DAI resolution is 1080p on PS4, and 900p on Xbox One. We maximized the current potential of each platform.

Advertisement