Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dragon Age: Inquisition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Looks fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

tumblr_m9k5crxT1P1rdzjgeo1_400.gif

shutupandtakemymoney_zps3bbbd52e.jpeg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Looks like the same hopelessly bland and clichéd fantasy setting as the other games with better technology. Think this is one series I could be destined to never really get.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,183 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Looks like the same hopelessly bland and clichéd fantasy setting as the other games with better technology. Think this is one series I could be destined to never really get.

Well they were hardly going to change the setting tbf :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Mickeroo wrote: »

dragon age 3: journey to the center of the zone

actually I would ****ing love that

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I've seen a few publications online waxing lyrical about the trailer, but IMO it just doesn't offer anything we haven't seen a thousand times before. Prettier, yes, but many successive fantasy games are prettier than the last :pac:

Obviously it's not suddenly going to be set in a distant future dystopia, but this series IMO suffers from a fundamental lack of imagination and originality. Certainly plenty of things that could be done even in a generally fantastical setting with dragons etc... This trailer could easily be for a Game of Thrones or Elder Scrolls game!* I do confess to having a general lack of interest in these sorts of worlds, but I'm sure I'd be interested seeing something fresh done with this sort of world. Maybe visiting a part of the world with different cultures or inspirations - World of Warcraft, which I haven't played by the way, has done something along those lines with several of its expansions. Hey, who knows, maybe Dragon Age 3 will do something really interesting when we actually see the finished product.

*Yes, I'm sure giants couldn't exist in Westeros or something ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

Couldn't disagree more.

I think it's an incredible feat of world building.
    Different races, fleshed out world and lore that's already seen 2 games and numerous books. Hopefully an excellent story and characters with gameplay that so far looks excellent. All immersed in an interactive* world that looks that good?

That's all I really want from a game to be honest.

* "The world's population is based on an emergent system that adjusts what you'll encounter based on how your actions tip the balance in the area. You'll see towns attacked by bandits, deer fleeing from wolves, giant's feeding on bears, and countless other scenarios."
    Producer Cameron Lee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

fundamental lack of imagination and originality.

GTFO!
    To be more specific, I don't think a series that rich in history and story can seriously be described as having a fundamental lack of imagination and originality. Fantasy is a genre and you generally have overlap.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

i eh.. thought it was a bit bland too, but the video itself is just detailing the environments rather than the complete game, so i reckon i'll reserve judgement of it til i see more of the actual game.

Some of the water effects leave a lot to be desired..

tbh, i thought skyrim looked more detailed, and that's what? 3 years old now?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I thought it looked good. Again, all we saw was environments, and we'll need to see how they look when they are more populated and from the players perspective. Certainly doesn't look bad looking.

It'll be the story and gameplay that'll decide the game though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Here's what I want: A game better than Dragon Age 2. Not really a high bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Pushtrak wrote: »

Dragon Age 2 was a fine game and doesn't deserve the amount of hate it gets.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,183 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It was grand, but for a game I pumped 40 or so hours into I had seen every location in the game within the first 5 hours or so. Made it look like a bit of a hack job.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,340 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

yes the copy and paste caves were disappointing and not leaving the main location was a bit hampered
    It also took away some of the actual rpg elements that the first game had

• Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭Varik

At least Dragon age 2 did something more than Americans doing ye olde time's accents.

Can't remember the game but I was also playing something at the time that was seriously bad, lots of "mayhap" and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

Varik wrote: »
    At least Dragon age 2 did something more than Americans doing ye olde time's accents.

It didn't do much else however.

I'd say it was a sorta ok game. The story was weaker and the ending seemed to be an 'up yours' thing. Didn't like the constant re-use of textures, and the combat was revamped to appeal to more action RPG types. The game could have stood to have more time in development, and would have liked to have seen a good expansion released like Awakening from DAO. It seems there was an expansion in development, but it was canned. This left the ending in DA 2 appalling. Seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

I'd say it was a sorta ok game. The story was weaker and the ending seemed to be an 'up yours' thing. Didn't like the constant re-use of textures, and the combat was revamped to appeal to more action RPG types. The game could have stood to have more time in development, and would have liked to have seen a good expansion released like Awakening from DAO. It seems there was an expansion in development, but it was canned. This left the ending in DA 2 appalling. Seriously.

I enjoyed both it and Origins in equal measure. I think people expected Dragon Age: Origins 1.5 and that's where alot of the hate stems from. But i do agree it could indeed have used more time in development, re-used textures/areas being evidence of that.

I actually forget the ending :o so you must be correct in that regard that it was pretty bad...

I actually forget the ending :o so you must be correct in that regard that it was pretty bad...
    Nothing especially bad happens... Or good... It just ends, and you're left thinking "WTF? That's it? Oh, ok a F you and wait for DA 3. Nice."

If you want a reminder, I've got it time stamped at what seems like the best time to have it.

http://youtu.be/EV8FAk5TEr4?t=32m17s

Some more information on the game http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=789632
    Two New Companions:
    -Solas is a renegade mage that is possibly a Dreamer, or in other words, a powerful mage who can enter the Fade at his or her own will. The most known Dreamers are Feynriel from Dragon Age 2, Aurelian Titus from the Dragon Age comics, and Thalsian the first dreamer and the first to claim knowledge of blood magic from the old god Dumat
    -He is an apostate, as made apparent through his very non-Circle-ish attire, and he apparently has great knowledge about the Fade itself
    -David Gaider says that the Iron Bull is afraid of nothing, except for his past

Third New Companion:
    -GameStar saw also an archer (likely Sera)

Main character voice acting:
    -Two voice actors for each gender.
    -You select your voice actor at the beginning of the game
    -You can't pick a male voice when playing a female character

Gameplay notes:
    -The Inquisitor can make his/her own rifts (is it the correct word for Risse) in the fade and summon demons
    -No fade puzzles (transformations) like Origins
    -The Protagonist can actively jump but not climb.
    -Homebase system. You will be able to customize certain rooms and buy upgrades, like a garden to grow plants for alchemy. The journalist also suspects that there will be a "map room", where you can allocate troops to open new trade routes or occupy outposts. Besides Skyhold (which is your main base), you can upgrade your other bases as well.
    -Animal wildlife works differently: they interact with each other (wolves hunt deer, a dragon once picked a fight with a giant) and need time to repopulate, so if you kill all the wolves in an area, you’re gonna have to be very patient
    -To advance the story, the inquisition has to have gained a certain strength, to unlock new regions
    -The environment is supposed to have a big influence on battle, like we’ve seen the inquisitor slightly stumble when the ground turns muddy after rain
    -(Creative Director Mike) Laidlaw says most areas are roughly three times the size of the korcari wilds from DA: O
    -New enemy giants. They like Darkspawn ogres and throw rocks. [Note: They're also much larger than Darkspawn Ogres.]
    -A dragon is especially vulnerable on the head.
    -There won't be mod-support for DA:I

• Advertisement

It is official, the game is coming out on the 8th of October in the EU

Hah, I like the Last Supper shot at the end.

Still too far away, I want a good western RPG and most are miles out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

Did I spot Leliana in the trailer?

GodlessM wrote: »
    Did I spot Leliana in the trailer?

Probably, I'm pretty sure she's in this since she showed up at the end of the 2nd game.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Probably, I'm pretty sure she's in this since she showed up at the end of the 2nd game.

Noooooooo!

Some new information on the classes and their specializations
    Warrior: Battle-hardened and masters of close combat, warriors are pivotal to any group entering battle. As front-line fighters, they absorb the brunt of opponent attacks, steal enemy focus, and create an opening for deadly ranged assaults from other classes. While some warriors prefer visceral, sweeping damage, many are silverite-clad bulwarks, weathering any blows they don't deflect with their shields.

Warrior Champion Specialization: Champions are defenders and protectors, and when a warrior trains in the champion's tradition, he or she becomes unstoppable. Champions use their armor, weapon and awareness to shrug off incoming attacks while holding critical positions on the battlefield and protecting allies in the process.

Mage: Those who can tap into the raw energy of the Fade and block the whispering temptations of demons are truly exceptional. When they turn that mental focus onto the field of war, they can be truly terrifying opponents. Rains of fire, walls of ice, or even the ability to heal allies make up a mage's toolkit. Most employ considerable skills rendering foes not only weakened, but also vulnerable to physical attacks, setting up opportunities for their teammates to exploit.

Mage Knight Enchanter Specialization: Among the Circles of Magi, only a few mages have the strength of will necessary to focus their energy inward. Wrapped in protective magics and wielding blades of arcane force, the Knight Enchanters are rare, but inspiring sights as they lead the charge into enemy ranks.

Rogue: Armed with bows, daggers, and any number of dirty tricks, the rogue's primary focus is damage: tearing foes down one at a time with systematic efficiency. Rogues commonly use a mixture of stealth and mobility to reach positions of advantage, be it a sniper's perch away from enemy blades or behind an unsuspecting mage. Deadly and resourceful, rogues can tip the balance of any strategic assault.

Rogue Artificer specialization: Intricate mechanisms are the core of the artificer's craft: Deadly traps; Distracting contraptions; Marvels of engineering turned to deadly purpose. If an artificer is standing at the far end of a seemingly innocuous stretch of the battlefield, you should find another path. If he or she is smiling? Best just to hope your affairs are in order.

More Specializations

Templar and Reaver for Warrior

Necromancer and Rift Mage for Mage

Assassin and Tempest for Rogue

• Registered Users Posts: 12,530 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Looks wise it seems impressive, though the visual design of the protagonist looks poor. It reminds me of how a Elder Scrolls character might look with a mix and match of various armours and pieces of junk - basically a tramp.

And the voice acting for the protagonist is also fairly desperate. Right up and including "Whatever we were before, <pause>, we are now <dramatic pause>, THE INQUISITION !!!<clunk>"

Its going to be hard work putting up with that level of quality from the protagonist through the game.

Sand wrote: »
    Looks wise it seems impressive, though the visual design of the protagonist looks poor. It reminds me of how a Elder Scrolls character might look with a mix and match of various armours and pieces of junk - basically a tramp.

And the voice acting for the protagonist is also fairly desperate. Right up and including "Whatever we were before, <pause>, we are now <dramatic pause>, THE INQUISITION !!!<clunk>"

Its going to be hard work putting up with that level of quality from the protagonist through the game.

Then play as a woman, it's probably Jennifer Hale.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i cba watching the video again but i could have sworn it was a woman in the trailer..

Advertisement