Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Islamic Militants kill 2,000 people in Nigeria in one attack

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

And it should be that way. I thought it was 16? 12 at Charlie, 4 at the shop? Have more died.

Ok 16, again you missed the point.

In my opinion it is only a matter of time before Boko Haram take their fight to the west.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Clermont1098

cerastes wrote: »

Marry one?

Personalised comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Personalised comment.

I was just kidding, I was going on the basis you were straight and meant you support gay marriage here but not directly, and joked that wanted to help the cause, by marrying, its a joke, its not personal and Ive nothing against non traditional/straight marriages.
    I think the greater issue is not just the 2000 people that have died but ongoing, peoples rights (which in may cases are minimal) are trappled on, happens everywhere, from one extreme to to the other, the ultimate being murdered. Also, western Govts intervene in foreign adventures for reasons that are not just or noble, then trumpet they are democracies and wonder why there is a reaction eventually? and many people are so blinded or unaware of what has occurred in history as to make them unable to connect the dots as to why some people/religions/groups despise others.
    Well its probably because they have been having their rights and lives trampled at the barrel of a gun (threat of a bomb) for so long.
    Iraq didnt start in 1990 or 2003, Certain countries have been bombing democracy into people since they could get bombs on planes and shooting it into them from long before that, its no wonder when this happens that only the extreme survive and get support from a locality/region becuase they will know in their own experience this is a a natural evolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

i can almost hear the smacking of solicitors lips again… theres more on the way, theres been a massacre in nigeria, get ready.

VEN wrote: »
    i can almost hear the smacking of solicitors lips again… theres more on the way, theres been a massacre in nigeria, get ready.
    Have another can and go to sleep.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Is it only terrorism when the killing is conducted by muslims?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

Islam is getting a bad rep in 2015.

most messed up religion out there tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Its amazing the lack of coverage this is getting in comparison to the Paris attacks. Surely it should be propelled to the same platform.

no doubt, I read the article on the Irish Times about what Boko Harem just did, its pretty disgusting. What I hadn't realised though this that they have killed 10,000 people in the last 12 months.

10,000 people slaughtered by Boko Harem in 12 months is the equivalent of 9/11 three times over. Yet this has hardly made a blip on the world radar.

Shame on all of us, something is not right here :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Muahahaha wrote: »
    no doubt, I read the article on the Irish Times about what Boko Harem just did, its pretty disgusting. What I hadn't realised though this that they have killed 10,000 people in the last 12 months.

10,000 people slaughtered by Boko Harem in 12 months is the equivalent of 9/11 three times over. Yet this has hardly made a blip on the world radar.

Shame on us? We're not the ones going around killing people.

It's about time africa got it's act together, it's 50 years or more since the end of colonialism, they can't blame the west for ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

That nothing at all compared to some of the conflicts, for example the war in the Congo which by 2008, had resulted in a estimated 5 millions deaths, which I think make it the single deadliest conflict since World War 2, received very little news coverage, and that is just one example. Dozens of other conflicts that don't receive much news coverage.

As for Boko Haram, hopefully the Nigerian government can put them down, and that they don't end up like the LRA, causing death and destruction for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,832 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Spot on. Nigeria and the neighbouring countries should be the first responders here and its up to them to sort out problems in their own neck of the woods before turning to the international community.

It isn't going to happen with a corrupt Nigerian government whose military top brass who are there by means of cronyism and a demoralised ill equipped army. The FCA would have a better chance at defeating Boko Haram.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Unless it's ebola, it won't be getting news time.
    Basically if it's something that doesn't affect or put us at risk know one cares. :(

It's about time africa got it's act together, it's 50 years or more since the end of colonialism, they can't blame the west for ever.

Lets be honest here, its not like African countries have been out there on their own since independance for the most part and havent been made dependant on Western countries and their corporate interests which are trumpeted by some western govts and their politicians and leaders.
    Its next to impossible for the poor,moderate or even educated to come out from under the jack boot of corruption and just create a stable democratic up and running country when western govts and their interests are and have been pillaging natural resources and backing dictators and supporting corruption for decades, effectively since their "Independence". Why do you think people go missing or journalists are shot in places like these? Or why Undemocratic/not aligned with western interests countries may get bombed (murder and deaths/where do you think radicalism springs from?). When all other options have been exhausted and there is no way out, this is what grows extremist nut jobs, we reap what we sow.
    It isn't going to happen with a corrupt Nigerian government whose military top brass who are there by means of cronyism and a demoralised ill equipped army. The FCA would have a better chance at defeating Boko Haram.

I imagine this is what it is, these Boko guys are motivated, seems experienced, armed and equipped, the military there probably really ius ineffectual at doing much other than dealing with unarmed civilians and maybe some light peacekeeping, Id expected more from the Nigerian military but it probably sounds about right given an army base was overrun. Sounds like the current incarnation of the iraqi army, cant fight on its own against a motivated and organised opponent. I susoect if you chop off one Boko head it has the resilience now to come back unless you try go in and slaughter every last one, that makes me think of a bogged down unsuccessful vietnam type scenario, except where the radicalism gets worse globally as the fighting increases.

Dont get me wrong, Boko seems nuts, to say western govts havent had a hand in this is blind. Besides, as many posters have now stated, 2000, its a lot, insane stuff, but a drop in the ocean compared to what we have already turned a blind eye to.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭BrendaN_f

you must live in a very simple world

• Registered Users Posts: 17,704 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Tugboats wrote: »
    Send the Yanks it to police/fix it and then do an anti war protest in town?

Not enough oil in Nigeria unfortunately!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Tyson Fury wrote: »

Nigeria have lots of oil. Top 10 countries in the World for proven oil reserves.

BrendaN_f wrote: »
    you must live in a very simple world

wish I did, think it'd be much easier. Theres a curtain, and only ordinary people behind it pulling strings and levers and such like. To say or think we dont have some connection to what is going on is illusory.
    Depends on how you look at and view it I suppose.

Plenty of oil in Nigeria, its all going the right way, so long as those pesky Chinese dont start getting any notions, they might already have.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

Basically if it's something that doesn't affect or put us at risk know one cares. :(

And rightly so, when something affects us we should take action, if they can't keep their own house in order thats their problem, not a civilised western society with problems of their own

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Boring username

New satellite images give a clearer picture of the destruction following the attacks in Baga last week. The town has been all but wiped off the map, as seen here:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-30826582

These images are utterly chilling. They would remind you of the annihilation of Nagasaki after the atom bomb was dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

It reminds me of game of thrones

The mindset of these people is pure medieval

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

wes wrote: »
    That nothing at all compared to some of the conflicts, for example the war in the Congo which by 2008, had resulted in a estimated 5 millions deaths, which I think make it the single deadliest conflict since World War 2, received very little news coverage, and that is just one example. Dozens of other conflicts that don't receive much news coverage.

The thing is its not even just the mainstream media thats ignored the 2nd Congo war, its also been ignored by the serious researchers too, I have been trying to find a decent book on it for a long while (Actually posted on the military forum here asking for recommendations), nearly everything I've seen is journalistic accounts or personalized accounts. Its basically a black hole as far as I can see so I don't think much blame can be placed at peoples feet for not being educated about this, compare it to Donestk where I can watch a live webcam feed directly into a conflict zone.
    wes wrote: »
    As for Boko Haram, hopefully the Nigerian government can put them down, and that they don't end up like the LRA, causing death and destruction for years.

I have the feeling that Boko Haram are using a Ghengis Khan style strategy, this may sound horribly cynical but if you create an impression of utter lack of mercy and fanaticism that can be a useful tool.

Its important to remember too that while Islamic extremists don't represent Islam, all Islamic extremists aren't the same.

Boko Haram are viewed by many Jihadi's as a negative.
    Al Quaida don't have a high opinion of ISIS, The Iranian Revolutionary Guard are mortal enemies of both, even 'Al Quida in Iraqi' apparently diverged from the mainstream of Al Quida significantly.

We don't consider the INLA and the Red Army Faction as being the same because we have an understanding of their backgrounds, aims and culture, when it comes to Islamic extremism though we tend to only see the commonalities

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

The thing is its not even just the mainstream media thats ignored the 2nd Congo war, its also been ignored by the serious researchers too, I have been trying to find a decent book on it for a long while (Actually posted on the military forum here asking for recommendations), nearly everything I've seen is journalistic accounts or personalized accounts. Its basically a black hole as far as I can see so I don't think much blame can be placed at peoples feet for not being educated about this, compare it to Donestk where I can watch a live webcam feed directly into a conflict zone.

I have the feeling that Boko Haram are using a Ghengis Khan style strategy, this may sound horribly cynical but if you create an impression of utter lack of mercy and fanaticism that can be a useful tool.

Its important to remember too that while Islamic extremists don't represent Islam, all Islamic extremists aren't the same.

Boko Haram are viewed by many Jihadi's as a negative.
    Al Quaida don't have a high opinion of ISIS, The Iranian Revolutionary Guard are mortal enemies of both, even 'Al Quida in Iraqi' apparently diverged from the mainstream of Al Quida significantly.

We don't consider the INLA and the Red Army Faction as being the same because we have an understanding of their backgrounds, aims and culture, when it comes to Islamic extremism though we tend to only see the commonalities

It says a lot when the Revolutionary Guards of Iran, the Irish Republican INLA and the communist Red Army Faction are the nicest of the organisations listed here!! But when we are looking at the likes of Boko Haram, Al Qaeda and ISIS this becomes apparent. These organisations go WAY BEYOND what the others would ever do.

We should differentiate between all of these groups. It is tempting to use one against the other which is what Assad seems to be doing: let al Qaeda and ISIS wipe each other out. ISIS may be the bigger threat at the moment but al Qaeda are the same mentality and we must remember they did 9/11 and other attacks. So, let's not go arming these effers to defeat the equally evil ISIS.

What I don't like is the traditional silence amongst Islamic priests (Ayatollahs, Mullahs, Muezins). Many of these showed extreme weakness like Iran's Ayatollahs Khomeini and Khamenei who seemed happy to front and give religious legitimacy to the Revolutionary Guards regime who were the REAL rulers of Iran from 1979. However, Khomeini's family are not at all happy with the regime and how their father/grandfather was used. Khamenei's brother is not too happy with Khamenei's fronting for this paramilitary group either.

In other parts of the world, this silence or lack of standing up to extremists by clerics/priests only gives evil 'Muslims' the excuse they need to blaspheme on the faith and use it as a fascist tool. As well as weak clergy, we also have the fake uneducated bigots posing as clergy (who have no formal qualification in religion but who set themselves up as self styled priests). Mullah Omar and the Taliban came from dodgy madrasas akin to the 'diploma mills' and the likes of Abu Hamza are even less qualified. All these jokers need to be identified and silenced as soon as possible to avoid hatred.

Also, I find it abhorrent with the reaction to different events. 2000 die in terrorist attacks in Nigeria and it is written off as 'Africa, what does one expect' (same with Iraq, Syria or Afghanistan) whereas something happens in Europe or the US, we are horrified. Well, we need to keep stock of what happens in Africa and the ME because chances are what happens there now will happen in the West in the near future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

It says a lot when the Revolutionary Guards of Iran, the Irish Republican INLA and the communist Red Army Faction are the nicest of the organisations listed here!! But when we are looking at the likes of Boko Haram, Al Qaeda and ISIS this becomes apparent. These organisations go WAY BEYOND what the others would ever do.

We should differentiate between all of these groups. It is tempting to use one against the other which is what Assad seems to be doing: let al Qaeda and ISIS wipe each other out. ISIS may be the bigger threat at the moment but al Qaeda are the same mentality and we must remember they did 9/11 and other attacks. So, let's not go arming these effers to defeat the equally evil ISIS.

What I don't like is the traditional silence amongst Islamic priests (Ayatollahs, Mullahs, Muezins). Many of these showed extreme weakness like Iran's Ayatollahs Khomeini and Khamenei who seemed happy to front and give religious legitimacy to the Revolutionary Guards regime who were the REAL rulers of Iran from 1979. However, Khomeini's family are not at all happy with the regime and how their father/grandfather was used. Khamenei's brother is not too happy with Khamenei's fronting for this paramilitary group either.

In other parts of the world, this silence or lack of standing up to extremists by clerics/priests only gives evil 'Muslims' the excuse they need to blaspheme on the faith and use it as a fascist tool. As well as weak clergy, we also have the fake uneducated bigots posing as clergy (who have no formal qualification in religion but who set themselves up as self styled priests). Mullah Omar and the Taliban came from dodgy madrasas akin to the 'diploma mills' and the likes of Abu Hamza are even less qualified. All these jokers need to be identified and silenced as soon as possible to avoid hatred.

Also, I find it abhorrent with the reaction to different events. 2000 die in terrorist attacks in Nigeria and it is written off as 'Africa, what does one expect' (same with Iraq, Syria or Afghanistan) whereas something happens in Europe or the US, we are horrified. Well, we need to keep stock of what happens in Africa and the ME because chances are what happens there now will happen in the West in the near future.

Repeating that will not make it true.

Nodin wrote: »
    Repeating that will not make it true.

WHO were the real rulers then? Bakhtiari? Hardly. He never had control. Bazargan? He resigned. Khomeini? Wasn't even there when it happened. The guys with the guns on the ground were the real leaders and later became the Revolutionary Guards. Saddam invaded and that cemented them as the main force. Khamenei aligned himself completely with them and even dressed in military uniformed back in the day. Who controls the big business in Iran? If it ain't the RGs, then it is Bertie Ahern! Oh, wait, he only gave the Iranians some advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Sociopath2

one of the basic tenets of newsworthiness is proximity. France has it, Africa doesn't. The media are businesses, there's no ad revenue from reporting on stories their target audience don't really care about.

From mediacollege.com

3. Proximity

Stories which happen near to us have more significance. The closer the story to home, the more newsworthy it is. For someone living in France, a major plane crash in the USA has a similar news value to a small plane crash near Paris.

Note that proximity doesn't have to mean geographical distance. Stories from countries with which we have a particular bond or similarity have the same effect. For example, Australians would be expected to relate more to a story from a distant Western nation than a story from a much closer Asian country.

From unco.edu

Proximity: Stories about events and situations in one's home community are more newsworthy than events that take place far away. For example, journalists assess the value of a news item reporting tragic deaths by comparing the number of deaths with the distance from the home community. For instance:if 1,000 persons drown in a flood in a faraway country, the story has about the same news value as a story describing how 100 persons drowned in a distant part of the United States. 

In turn, that 100 person story has about the same news value as a story concerning 10 flood victims within our own state. 

Finally, a story about those ten victims has about the same value as a story describing a flood which drowns one person in our local community.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

Obviously as a western country ourselves events in other western countries will be very well covered compared to the rest of the world, i don't think it is shameful, i care more about events close to me then all the way in Africa or some other chithole on the other side of the world.

What do you suggest to make things right?

The oil is in the South and that is controlled by government forces and is secure for the moment. The Boko Haram is in the poor north of the country but if they ever start threatening the existence of the Nigerian government and its oil, then and only then you will see Western action!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

How is the global community going to deal with these extremists?

Who is this global community you speak of?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

Nigerian government reporting that one hundred and fifty are dead. BBC claiming that 'sources' indicate 2,000. Both figures are high but the discrepancy is terrifying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Wurzelbert

Its amazing the lack of coverage this is getting in comparison to the Paris attacks. Surely it should be propelled to the same platform.

really? as a european i see a difference between a massacre happening on my doorstep and one happening on a different continent...we cannot heal the world, and we have to take care of what happens at home first...basic self-preservation and all that...also not sure i would want to see western troops involved in another african mess...
    and i think news coverage on boko haram is all there anyway, albeit not with the same intensity as it was on the paris murders...

Advertisement