Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Islamic Militants kill 2,000 people in Nigeria in one attack

Options
  • 10-01-2015 1:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭

No, that is not a typo. In what is one of the deadliest terrorist attacks in history, up to 2,000 people have been killed in a single town in Nigeria by Islamic militant group, Boko Harem. The local security forces have given up trying to count all the bodies at this point, as there are simply too many to keep track.

theguardian.com/world/2015/jan/09/boko-haram-deadliest-massacre-baga-nigeria

How is the global community going to deal with these extremists?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Zack Morris

Islam is getting a bad rep in 2015.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

No, that is not a typo. In what is one of the deadliest terrorist attacks in history, up to 2,000 people have been killed in a single town in Nigeria by Islamic militant group, Boko Harem. The local security forces have given up trying to count all the bodies at this point, as there are simply too many to keep track.

Send the Yanks it to police/fix it and then do an anti war protest in town?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

Criticism of Islamic fascism/extremism is still deemed as racist by many people, who in their viewpoint (somewhat racist actually, as it judges people based on religion (can be judged harmless, violent whatever) cannot be harmful because it creates too much cognitive dissonance.

The idea that people could be muslim but also dangerous does not compute, as we are meant to prejudice all muslims as being perfect. This two legs good, four legs bad black and white thinking is racist and prejudiced and that is what gets people killed.

Look past religion, sexuality and gender. People can still be, despite being gay Islamic women, completely dangerous for reasons entirely separate to religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭sjb25

Fcuking hell.............. RIP something will have to be done about these groups and before you ask I honestly don't no what to do or where to start

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

Its amazing the lack of coverage this is getting in comparison to the Paris attacks. Surely it should be propelled to the same platform.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

dissed doc wrote: »
    Criticism of Islamic fascism/extremism is still deemed as racist by many people, who in their viewpoint (somewhat racist actually, as it judges people based on religion (can be judged harmless, violent whatever) cannot be harmful because it creates too much cognitive dissonance.

The idea that people could be muslim but also dangerous does not compute, as we are meant to prejudice all muslims as being perfect. This two legs good, four legs bad black and white thinking is racist and prejudiced and that is what gets people killed.

Look past religion, sexuality and gender. People can still be, despite being gay Islamic women, completely dangerous for reasons entirely separate to religion.

I have yet to see anyone defend extremism. How does boko haram killing 2000 people have anything to do with racism? Some people just have to peddle their agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Its amazing the lack of coverage this is getting in comparison to the Paris attacks. Surely it should be propelled to the same platform.

Not even one story reported on sky news as of yet. I guess a dozen french people dying is more interesting than 2000 poor people dying :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

I wonder will the usual dingbats be along to blame this on the west bombing and interfering with the middle east.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

Its happened in a village that nobody heard of and in a country that few really care about

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

Tugboats wrote: »
    Send the Yanks it to police/fix it and then do an anti war protest in town?

I nearly choked on my sarnie, don't do that again!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

An average of 3,000 people a day were dying during the Second Congo War.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Dont call me Shirley

somuj wrote: »
    I wonder will the usual dingbats be along to blame this on the west bombing and interfering with the middle east.

Yup, we're playing into the hands of the extremists, killing tens of thousands more civilians is only going to aid their cause.

The extremist movement has cleverly found a weak point in Western power, our arrogance, it's using it to their own means and so far have been extremely successful.

It's very worrying where this will all end.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

dissed doc wrote: »

Seriously? the problem isn't islam. It's people like this.

These are a very backwards people. they believe all kinds of ****.

In the Central African Republic you have the Anti-balaka. They massacre Muslims and are just as bad as Muslim militants.

In Uganda you have the Lords Resistance Army under Joseph Kony. They are responsible for multiple atrocities and train child soldiers.

If course you'll look at that and you won't say that Christianity is the problem. It's one standard for Muslims and one standard for Christians. When a Muslim does something it's representative of all of Islam. When a Christian does something it's an aberration.

the problem is that these are people in incredibly isolated areas who will use violence to get their means. They'll tie their flag to whatever the local religion is. If they are from a Christian area suddenly they are Christian militants. If they are from a Muslim area then they are islamic militants. Really it's down to cultural/tribal differences and they just use the religion to differentiate. Like northern Ireland most of these conflicts have little to do with religion and they're just labels that are applied to underlying issues that exist between disparate cultural/ethnic groups.

The best example of this is Rwanda. When the genocide occurred there a lot of churches actually gave their support to the genocide. Yet that's not considered a "Christian" genocide. mainly because both sides were Christian so the ethnic fault-lines were more visible.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Suleiman Dauda, 12, said he ran into the bushes with neighbours when extremists attacked his village, Askira Uba, near Yola last year.

“I saw them kill my father, they slaughtered him like a ram. And up until now I don’t know where my mother is,” he told the Associated Press at Daware refugee camp in Yola.

Barbarians :(

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

Wish I could turn into a goat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Wolf Club

Shocking stuff, you'd imagine a country the size of Nigeria would have sufficient military power to deal with the likes of Boko Haram.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

By ignoring when it is in Africa.
    An average of 3,000 people a day were dying during the Second Congo War.

Yeah, could never understand how this war got very very little coverage, when over 5 million people died from the war and the effects of the war.

Maybe the media views Africans as being lesser people,. It is Animal farm in the media, we are all equal but some are more equal than others.

There's no words for this really. It's pretty much unfathomable.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

RobertKK wrote: »
    Maybe the media views Africans as being lesser people,. It is Animal farm in the media, we are all equal but some are more equal than others.

I think there is a kind of discrimination when it comes to this kind of stuff. It might be because they're black, or not as "civilised" or because it's remote but it does happen quite a bit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Yellowblackbird

There's no way of judging the depth of this really. It's pretty much ineffable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The most likely victims of these medieval scum are fellow muslims. These fcukers are pure dirt who basically just need to be wiped out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

District head Baba Abba Hassan said most victims are children, women and elderly people who could not run fast enough when insurgents drove into Baga, firing rocket-propelled grenades and assault rifles on town residents.

What brave soldiers Boko Haram are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Just under 3k people died from 9/11, its possible this could be close.
    The most likely victims of these medieval scum are fellow muslims. These fcukers are pure dirt who basically just need to be wiped out.

Its something like 50% Christian and 40%+ Muslim. So probably quite a few.

Boko haram are against the westerns style state schools Nigeria has as they want faith schools instead. Seems a bit of an over the top reaction over schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

What brave soldiers Boko Haram are.
    They really are. These are the same guys who kidnapped all those schoolgirls last year.

They also enjoy breaking into universities at night and shooting students as they sleep.

A lot of terrible things happen in the world and on the news but Boko Haram, to me, are one of the most callous groups operating today. There appears to be no humanity to them.

And yes, it's so disappointing that this is not on the news (as much as it should) and no-one seems to care. I don't know if it's because it's not as "sexy" a story as Paris (hostages, cool!) or the remoteness of where this is happening. Or maybe even an understandable reluctance of news crews to venture out and report on this. While they could run into trouble in Paris, it's very unlikely. But they would be putting themselves in huge danger following Boko Haram around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Boring username

I think it speaks volumes that the likes of Russell Brand and members of the St. Louis Rams are strangely silent when a genuine massacre like this takes place.

bbc.com/news/blogs-echochambers-30221442

Not to mention the thousands of smug liberals who were falling over themselves to call for some small time pick up artist to be banned from the UK on facebook and twitter recently. I guess there exists a peculiar phenomenon of acceptable topics that are considered fashionable to support.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

Islam is getting a bad rep in 2015.

Yeah, especially after they captured peoples hearts in 2014.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

How are these nutters so deranged and sadistic. They are not born like that for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

France is much closer to Ireland than Nigeria, hence French events get more coverage.
    At a guess, far more Irish people live in Paris than Nigeria.

That would be a big factor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

I heard that the dead are mainly elderly and children because they couldn't escape fast enough.
    Boko Haram (stands for "Western education is forbidden") are particularly ruthless Islamic terrorists.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 423 ✭✭The Bould Rabbit

I'm far more interested in what happened in Paris to be honest.

Perhaps if I lived in a country close to Nigeria I'd be more interested in what happened there.

Media tends to focus on what is happening in its own neck of the woods. Mainly because that's what people are interested in.

One thing is certain though, Islamic terrorist scum are Islamic terrorist scum no matter where they are.

Advertisement