Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Islamic Militants kill 2,000 people in Nigeria in one attack

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

No. It's a problem for Nigeria and their neighbours to sort. I'm interested in news from Europe and countries like the States and Canada.

I disagree completely human rights abuses are a world problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Iwasfrozen wrote: »

Couldn't agree more, chief. If there's one thing that scares these gowls more than a pissed-off SEAL, it's a little girl with school books.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 423 ✭✭The Bould Rabbit

No. It's a problem for Nigeria and their neighbours to sort. I'm interested in news from Europe and countries like the States and Canada.

Spot on. Nigeria and the neighbouring countries should be the first responders here and its up to them to sort out problems in their own neck of the woods before turning to the international community.

Not sure I understand this. Are you saying there are human rights abuses worldwide or suggesting that such abuses in one country are the responsibility of the rest of the world?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭IanOBo

Why is the death of thousands being largely ignored, just because of where they are from. Shame

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Sickening news to hear about.
    entropi wrote: »
    When most of the world media you will see is controlled by the white man, you'll mainly see issues that affect the white man. As sad as this is, its the truth.

The media in this country generally report news based on what most people want to hear about. There's no racial agenda behind it.
    The events that happened in Paris are more relatable and significant for most people in this country.
    RobertKK wrote: »
    But sometimes things like Twink's dog makes more news coverage than much more serious and devastating events.

There's only a finite amount of depressing news people can deal with, before they turn off the News.
    And as cynical as it sounds, I think a lot of people suffer from "compassion fatigue" when it comes to bad news from Africa.
    Events that happen far away and occur repeatedly just remind them of how powerless they are.
    That's why they'll invest their time in a twitter campaign against some PUA, because there's some hope that it might actually achieve a result.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I think it speaks volumes that the likes of Russell Brand and members of the St. Louis Rams are strangely silent when a genuine massacre like this takes place.

bbc.com/news/blogs-echochambers-30221442

Not to mention the thousands of smug liberals who were falling over themselves to call for some small time pick up artist to be banned from the UK on facebook and twitter recently. I guess there exists a peculiar phenomenon of acceptable topics that are considered fashionable to support.

Why would St Louis Rams football players be as concerned with this atrocity seeing as it didn't happen in the state they play football in.

People in general are naturally far more concerned about events that happen in areas close to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

Ignorance is bliss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Clermont1098

Ignorance is bliss.

What are you trying to say?

How and why? It's a Nigerian problem. That's where the responsibility is.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Do Nigerians care much about our issues? Or does it only work one way?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Do Nigerians care much about our issues? Or does it only work one way?

I dont think starving african children or gays being beaten in Russia are too worried about water charges. **** em.

I dont think starving african children or gays being beaten in Russia are too worried about water charges. **** em.

I can't do anything for them. I'm not going to fly out there and change anything. They'll be starving in a hundred years if you ask me. Russia has the right to make its own laws. I think it's despicable but I can do anything to change Russia. I can do something here to help gays get married.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Everyone in Africa isn't starving to death. I hear they have cars and cities and everything now.:rolleyes:

Homeless people in Ireland probably don't spend much time worrying about the plight of Nigerians being killed either.

Everyone in Africa isn't starving to death. I hear they have cars and cities and everything now.:rolleyes:

Great. A developed society. They can sort it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭the nikkei is rising

Unfortunately the news is limited by both time and column inches and they have decided to apportion more time to stories that are more culturally and geographically relevant to us.

I don't think it's racist to care more about a minor story from your local town or a terror attack in a society similar to our own than you would about a mass murder half the world away in a cultural context you are unable to properly imagine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 423 ✭✭The Bould Rabbit

Because starving kids in Africa and victims of gay bashing in Russia are the only people who follow the news in those places of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

somuj wrote: »
    II would love to live in a country who inhabitants valued reason and logic and not superstitious nonsense.

If you are a resident in Ireland then, for all intents and purposes, you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I can't do anything for them. I'm not going to fly out there and change anything. They'll be starving in a hundred years if you ask me. Russia has the right to make its own laws. I think it's despicable but I can do anything to change Russia. I can do something here to help gays get married.

Indeed but ignoring it isn't going to help either. Human rights abuses are still human rights abuses regardless of where they happen.

Homeless people in Ireland probably don't spend much time worrying about the plight of Nigerians being killed either.

Now youre getting it. What issues about Ireland would you expect Nigeria to care about? Any massacres recently?

Indeed but ignoring it isn't going to help either. Human rights abuses are still human rights abuses regardless of where they happen.

Now youre getting it. What issues about Ireland would you expect Nigeria to care about? Any massacres recently?

Do you mean Nigerian media?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

The simple reason is extremists killing people we will never have anything in common with, in places we have never heard of or will never visit, and in a place that will never have any economic significance in our lives, will only ever make the news on slow news days

As sad and all as it is it means very little to most people in western society what happens in Africa, and I would assume vice versa on there behalf

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

whupdedo wrote: »
    As sad and all as it is it means very little to most people in western society what happens in Africa, and I would assume vice versa on there behalf

Unless it's EBOLA and there is a risk to the west.

Did you see how nuts the media and people here got late last year when there were a few cases in USA/Europe?
    It's the utterly selfish nature of modern society.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Why do they do this? Do they think murdering 2,000 will get them what they want? Absolutely pointless. Those groups are complete and utter bastards.

Did you see how nuts the media and people here got late last year when there were a few cases in USA/Europe?

Sounds like common sense to me.

How is it selfish to want to stop a contagious disease from spreading, not withstanding the amount of money and medical supplies and expertise sent by western countries

How is it selfish to want to stop a contagious disease from spreading, not withstanding the amount of money and medical supplies and expertise sent by western countries

It first appeared in 1970s. The west only really mobilised or starting producing vaccines when it hit USA.

It first appeared in 1970s. The west only really mobilised or starting producing vaccines when it hit USA.

When it's in Africa its Africa's problem, but when it reaches western countries they will take every precaution to stop it from spreading

When it's in Africa its Africa's problem, but when it reaches western countries they will take every precaution to stop it from spreading

Of course. I think that's only common sense.

Of course. I think that's only common sense.

My point if you go back to read it was that Africa will never dominate the western media unless the west is at risk. This is why the massacre of 2000 innocents in Nigeria by Islamic extremists will not get the same attention as the 20 innocents in Paris.

My point if you go back to read it was that Africa will never dominate the western media unless the west is at risk. This is why the massacre of 2000 innocents in Nigeria by Islamic extremists will not get the same attention as the 20 innocents in Paris.

And it should be that way. I thought it was 16? 12 at Charlie, 4 at the shop? Have more died.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Grayson wrote: »
    Seriously? the problem isn't islam. It's people like this.

These are a very backwards people. they believe all kinds of ****.

In the Central African Republic you have the Anti-balaka. They massacre Muslims and are just as bad as Muslim militants.

In Uganda you have the Lords Resistance Army under Joseph Kony. They are responsible for multiple atrocities and train child soldiers.

If course you'll look at that and you won't say that Christianity is the problem. It's one standard for Muslims and one standard for Christians. When a Muslim does something it's representative of all of Islam. When a Christian does something it's an aberration.

the problem is that these are people in incredibly isolated areas who will use violence to get their means. They'll tie their flag to whatever the local religion is. If they are from a Christian area suddenly they are Christian militants. If they are from a Muslim area then they are islamic militants. Really it's down to cultural/tribal differences and they just use the religion to differentiate. Like northern Ireland most of these conflicts have little to do with religion and they're just labels that are applied to underlying issues that exist between disparate cultural/ethnic groups.

The best example of this is Rwanda. When the genocide occurred there a lot of churches actually gave their support to the genocide. Yet that's not considered a "Christian" genocide. mainly because both sides were Christian so the ethnic fault-lines were more visible.

Extreme poverty and lack of education, add a dash of oil companies raping the place, take away peoples traditional agricultural means, a pinch of corruption, bake for, oh I dont know, 50 years or so, voila!
    There's no words for this really. It's pretty much unfathomable.

Its horrific, but its a drop in the ocean to stuff even mentioned in this thread, hundreds of thousands have died to bring them democracy, poor fools.
    Yeah, especially after they captured peoples hearts in 2014.
    I always thought it was their minds they were going after, hmm
    How are these nutters so deranged and sadistic. They are not born like that for sure.
    dissed doc wrote: »
    For example, Angela Merkel was on her new years day address critical of Pegida, who since September were warning about Islamic extremism and the dangers. She wanted it to be pigeonholed as a racist, hate organisation, and to ignore the concerns of the middle ground.
    The largest threat to democracy now and for the future in europe, is the latent presence of Islamic extremists. It is the new Nazism, IMO.

Democracy you say, hmmm, nice idea alright.
    somuj wrote: »
    I'm with you. I think all religion is nonsense. People fighting wars and hating each other over some non existent diety. I would love to live in a country who inhabitants valued reason and logic and not superstitious nonsense.

Vulcan?
    jimgoose wrote: »
    Texas is the greatest nation on Earth, boy. ;)

Maybe if they secede.

Marry one?

Advertisement