Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S3 i9300 Modding Thread

• 05-06-2012 1:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭

I've just rooted my s3 so may aswel start the ball rolling for anyone else who's looking to do so and not sure of the process.

I followed the guides for recovery and superuser
    here - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1684535
    and here - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1538053

Omega v3.0 is the only rom that appears to be out at present but Im not sure If i'll flash it. Theres hardly any bloat on my handset so Im more interested in installing Titanium backup and freezing/removing any of the junk that I dont want on it for the time being.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

Really looking forward to the ROMs released for the SIII, I have moved on from a Desire HD and I miss so many features of sense UI, so much so that I'm tempted to swap for OneX..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

Great stuff. Just got mine today so gona have a play first before I start butchering it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭5500

Triangleaway now updated and working with the S3, whilst no triangle is showing when you flash a rom the flash counter does increase but Triangleaway resets it back to 0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

5500 wrote: »
    I've just rooted my s3 so may aswel start the ball rolling for anyone else who's looking to do so and not sure of the process.

I followed the guides for recovery and superuser
    here - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1684535
    and here - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1538053

Omega v3.0 is the only rom that appears to be out at present but Im not sure If i'll flash it. Theres hardly any bloat on my handset so Im more interested in installing Titanium backup and freezing/removing any of the junk that I dont want on it for the time being.

For root, SU and CWM use this method.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1695238

The one linked above has been deprecated in favour of this far easier method.

Those of ye that's rooted, can ye give a link or provide a list of which apps/bloatware can be safely frozen with Titanium?

I remember such a list when I rooted the S2 but I'm sure the list wouldn't be the same for the S3.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Here's a list but doubt you'll want to remove all

http://cdn.theunlockr.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Galaxy-S3-Bloatware.txt

Going to root using the CF-root method by chainfire on xda.

Regarding ROM's, which one is the most stable at the minute and has a few features on it?

I've been using omega 4.1 the past few days with 4.2 due to be released shortly so it may be worth the wait. Its very close to stock with alot of bloat removed and some tweeks added, no Force Closes are any noticeable bugs either.

I see on xda that theres a new ota software update being rolled out today so no doubt its going to be incorporated into additional rom's over the next few days too

5500 wrote: »
    I've been using omega 4.1 the past few days with 4.2 due to be released shortly so it may be worth the wait. Its very close to stock with alot of bloat removed and some tweeks added, no Force Closes are any noticeable bugs either.

I see on xda that theres a new ota software update being rolled out today so no doubt its going to be incorporated into additional rom's over the next few days too

I'm rooted and have phone/app folders set up the way I like. If I flash a new rom will I lose all these settings and have to manually set them up again?

It depends if the rom is a wipe/no wipe version. Your reccomended to do a full wipe before flashing a new rom thus loosing your settings. You can still flash without a wipe which will keep all your settings intact but you might get errors or force closes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭PeterB11

Inquitus wrote: »
    For root, SU and CWM use this method.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1695238

The one linked above has been deprecated in favour of this far easier method.

Should I root my SG3? And if so, with this? I kind of like the way it looks and behaves stock, but would like the benefit of a rooted device to be able to Reverse Tether..

Is it easy to get it back to how it was, exactly as stock and not lose apps etc.??

Info please :) Thanks :)

Also, Bloatware? I imagine that's the stuff you don't need (widgets, etc?) that potentially slow the device down?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Takes no time at all to do, just follow this thread - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1695238

The above will root your device but leave the stock Samsung ROM on it.

Which version do I download is it CF-Root for SGS3 v6.2:?? What is Odin? This is all very new and confusing to me atm :(

Its ok, it's working now as we speak :) Thanks :)

Ok so I've rooted it now everything went smoothly and its the very same as I haven't done anything to it, which is great.

Should I download TriangleAway? It says I could brick the device, but I'm running 4.0.4 so am I safe?

Do I need to run this? Should I?

Opinions and help please will do it once I find out :) Thanks

PeterB11 wrote: »

Ok so I've rooted it now everything went smoothly and its the very same as I haven't done anything to it, which is great.

Should I download TriangleAway? It says I could brick the device, but I'm running 4.0.4 so am I safe?

I rooted using the same method as you but didn't go near triangleAway(as it wouldn't bother me if I got the triangle icon on boot up), but I don't have it coming up when I boot up so its sound anyways.

I'm on 4.0.4 as well. I've no idea as to what ROM to flash yet though. I've apex launcher instead of TW and I have to say its amazing compared to TW. Excellent so it is.

Any ideas on whether to flash a rom or not? I've a few bits n pieces already frozen in titanium pro. I just can't seem to figure out why I've always about 480Mb or RAM been used out of the 720MB total available.

Any way I can free up the RAM? I don't use task killers as I heard they are more bad than good.

Came across this post on xda regarding disabling fast dormancy to get rid of the cell standby drain:

dormancy setting solved my battery issue
    I'm on vodafone UK, and had problems having enough battery power to use the phone for a day. "Cell standby" used to consume around 5% per hour. Also, I was seeing the network switching between H, H+ and 3G every couple of seconds.

Since I rooted my phone and added the following line to "/system/build.prop", my cell standby usage more than halved:

PHP Code:
    ro.ril.fast.dormancy.rule=0
    My cell standby is now 1.5%-2% per hour. Also, the network stays much more often on H, and sometimes goes up to H+.

Other stats:
    * Screen consumes around 10% per hour (when on).
    * Streaming a movie/youtube (including screen consumption), consumption is around 20% per hour (Under Settings -> battery, I see that under "Screen", "mediaserver" and "VPlayer").
    * Browsing doesn't seem to add up too much to that 10% screen consumption

Wondering did anyone know if the networks over here support it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 zenseo

Your reccomended to do a full wipe before flashing a new rom thus loosing your settings. You can still flash without a wipe which will keep all your settings intact but you might get errors or force closes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

PeterB11 wrote: »

Triangle away is only really needed if your returning the phone, on the SGSIII the triangle doesn't appear on boot up anyway but there is a counter that shows you've messed with the device, triangle away will reset this so it looks like its still factory spec.

Ok I got an OTA update but it wont install due to CWM.

I am a Samsung noob, in the past I would get the OTA in the form of an update.zip and flash it manually, do things work the same way in Korea? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Bluegrass

So would it be wise to use TriangleAway straight after I root then would you say?

• Advertisement

Bluegrass wrote: »
    So would it be wise to use TriangleAway straight after I root then would you say?

Unnecessary I would say. If you need to return it then just use TriangleAway then to reset counter imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Ooh...there's a foxhound rom...tempting

Chet T16 wrote: »
    Well, temptation got the better of me!

Seems nice, couple of nice tweaks:

Blue wifi/battery icons
    TW modified to be 5x5 and widgets modded to suit
    Volume buttons are shutter buttons (yey!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Well, temptation got the better of me!

Seems nice, couple of nice tweaks:

Blue wifi/battery icons
    TW modified to be 5x5 and widgets modded to suit
    Volume buttons are shutter buttons (yey!)

Yeah 4x4 is ridiculous on such a large screen

Here's a screenshot, much better!

Screenshot_2012-06-14-18-32-24.png

Aye I use 5x5 on apex, 4x4 just looks bad as the screen is too big.

Is it possible to just do the following when flashing a rom so as not to have to set up the phone from scratch??

..... Just wipe cache/ dalvik before wiping and leave data. Nothing will be changed but the system and kernel.

Anyone know if I flash the latest version of omega rom, will I get the firmware update that came out the other day with it all in one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

This is my first Samsung phone, can someone recommend the best Samsung Devs on XDA? I know who's who with HTC but I don't recognise any of the Samsung guys.

So which Rom are you guys using, I haven't rooted yet, I'm waiting to see how the custom Roms are coming along, but I noticed a couple of them have fixed the Automatic Brightness Bug which is stating to annoy me these days.

• Advertisement

Ste05 wrote: »
    This is my first Samsung phone, can someone recommend the best Samsung Devs on XDA? I know who's who with HTC but I don't recognise any of the Samsung guys.

So which Rom are you guys using, I haven't rooted yet, I'm waiting to see how the custom Roms are coming along, but I noticed a couple of them have fixed the Automatic Brightness Bug which is stating to annoy me these days.

what bug is that? I never use the autobrightness on mine.

Advertisement