Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Must Have Android Apps and Games?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

hmm, cant progress without making purchases. good game but total in app purchases runs to 380eu.
    not sure how far I'll get in this, frustrating since the game is quite good, but close to 400eu for a mobile phone game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭dinneenp

is there any logic to having 2 sub-forums- 1 for tablets and 1 for smart phones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

nah, i dont think so.
    They're pretty much the same except bigger screens and no phone dialer.
    All the apps are the same as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭gar

dinneenp wrote: »
    is there any logic to having 2 sub-forums- 1 for tablets and 1 for smart phones?

I'd say yes as some apps are not great on tablets

Hardly need a sub forum? There's already threads to post on for tablets.
    Android could do with being moved out of mobile and pdas given the range of devices it now runs on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭batistuta9

subway wrote: »
    be careful with this, 2 of the in game purchases cost 96.99eu (and can be bought multiple times i believe) and with the android in game purhases its "one-click"

probably wont matter to most people, but if your kid uses your phone or tablet...

see with purchases do/can they only take place if you have google checkout setup or can they use your phone credit too?

it seems to have a lot of ads & click/do this for credits in it too
    hmm, cant progress without making purchases. good game but total in app purchases runs to 380eu.
    not sure how far I'll get in this, frustrating since the game is quite good, but close to 400eu for a mobile phone game?

you still talking about Gears & Guts here

I've haven't really played that much yet only played about 3 levels on it so far, haven't had the time

why can't you progress without the purchases

Once you get to about level 18 the upgrades you earn in game don't keep pace with the power requirements for each level.

One item found on a level gives you maybe a 10th of a level towards an upgrade and each upgrade gives you maybe 2 or 3 points of power.

It seems some levels need over 10000 points so the rate of levelling will mean you play the same level 20-30000 times or buy some coins :-) and the really powerful cars can only be bought with coins which you need real world cash for

You need a credit card for them

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭measurement

Headshot wrote: »
    Anyone have the AIB app

any good?
    I have it and use it occasionally. It seems to do the same as the online application, so I'd say its fine. In fact, it presents the input fields properly, and they are easy to read. Much much better than trying to go through the browser.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I have it and use it occasionally. It seems to do the same as the online application, so I'd say its fine. In fact, it presents the input fields properly, and they are easy to read. Much much better than trying to go through the browser.:)

Yeah I agree with this. Using AIB on my android is like using AIB online via laptop. No problems with the AIB app by me anyways:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Yeah I agree with this. Using AIB on my android is like using AIB online via laptop. No problems with the AIB app by me anyways:)

Same here...Fair play to AIB for making a decent app...there site is the better banking sites i've used aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

AIBs "app" is a terrible site wrapper for their mobile banking site.
    Bookmark https://mobilebanking.aib.ie/mob/roi/login.htm and set a shortcut. Youll get the exact same thing but faster

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,145 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I find the app fine. It's quicker and less hassle than banking on the laptop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I've actually switched from using the mobile site to using the app recently, as I've had problems logging in on the site before, as it seemed to request the same numbers from the PAC each time, or appear to, when the back end may have been looking for something else. (And emptying the cache etc didn't fix this either)

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Sauce

Some shocking self publicity here but Train Times Ireland is a handy app to have when using the trains or dart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭blankblank

SwiftKey 3 currently only 69cent. Bargain!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 899 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

Davie89 wrote: »
    SwiftKey 3 currently only 69cent. Bargain!!

It is part of an end of summer sale, a little googling brought up a few more..
    https://play.google.com/store/search?q=%22***end+of+summer+sale%22

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

DrZeuss wrote: »
    It is part of an end of summer sale, a little googling brought up a few more..

Looking through your list, then looking at associated purchases, I stumbled across Max Payne at €0.97 cent. Offer through to September 4th. Not too shabby.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rockstar.maxpayne

BeyondPod on sale too for $2 instead of the usual $7
    One of the best podcast apps out there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭blankblank

Is beautiful widgets any good??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Amazon App Store has came to the UK since yesterday. Presuming that'll mean us as well. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/feature.html?docId=1000644603

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,945 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,408 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Here's steps on how to access the Amazon App Store from outside US (works for me): http://www.modaco.com/topic/336184-using-the-amazon-appstore-from-outside-the-us-including-paid-apps/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

anyone using mx player?
    some avis and mkvs wont play.does it need certain codecs to be downloaded or how can you update it?i went to the website but i couldnt find a contact address.
    thanks
    im using a samsung galaxy the first one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

Once you get to about level 18 the upgrades you earn in game don't keep pace with the power requirements for each level.

One item found on a level gives you maybe a 10th of a level towards an upgrade and each upgrade gives you maybe 2 or 3 points of power.

It seems some levels need over 10000 points so the rate of levelling will mean you play the same level 20-30000 times or buy some coins :-) and the really powerful cars can only be bought with coins which you need real world cash for

Is your phone rooted? If so then you can get the coins simply.

I am not sure if this Google Sky Map app was mentioned previous, but I quite like it & thought I would share it :)

Not really essential, fancy clock and weather.. You're stuck with Accuweather for the weather figures now, as Google, in the last week, have stopped\pulled their Weather API rather suddenly, which is a shame. Not keen on a service that decides to pop up on my browser when it chooses..

I am not sure if this Google Sky Map app was mentioned previous, but I quite like it & thought I would share it :)

Spot your first planet and you become addicted to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

dulpit wrote: »
    That hurling game is well poor, compared to the other flick games (flick rugby in particular)

Which of the Flick Rugby games is best? A lot have high ratings, don't want to go through each and every one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,408 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Which of the Flick Rugby games is best? A lot have high ratings, don't want to go through each and every one!

This one: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pikpok.kik&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5waWtwb2sua2lrIl0.

I am registered with ParkMagic with my car and tbh I would find it useful if they have an app for their services for easy top-up, change of account details etc. If you know of one, you might let me know please :)

Cheers

/I cannot seem to locate one as yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

That's excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

Give Stickman base jumping a try. So addictive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭b318isp

crazygeryy wrote: »
    anyone using mx player?
    some avis and mkvs wont play.does it need certain codecs to be downloaded or how can you update it?

There is a codec pack:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mxtech.ffmpeg.v7_vfpv3d16&feature=more_from_developer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭b318isp

I bought it in the sale last year. I find it handy for having a 4x1 widget with time, date and weather data in one place. Touching the time brings you to the Alarm Clock, touching location brings your to calendar, touching weather causes a full screen weather view to appear which can have multiple locations. For €0.69, it does what I want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

b318isp wrote: »
    crazygeryy wrote: »
    anyone using mx player?
    some avis and mkvs wont play.does it need certain codecs to be downloaded or how can you update it?

There is a codec pack:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mxtech.ffmpeg.v7_vfpv3d16&feature=more_from_developer

i knew there were codecs but i had no idea which one. there's a few of them.thank s

Is there an App available that changes the sound mode of the phone (silent, loud, etc) depending on what WiFi network you are connected to? I remember hearing on the Tech section on George Hook's show on Newstalk that there is something similar to a dock where you can swipe your phone and it changes the profile (i.e. - one at work to put it to silent/vibrate and one at home to change it to ring etc). Anything along those lines?

I've just got an S3 recently and haven't really had a chance to unleash its full potential yet. Would anyone have any other recommended apps for me? Aside from the hundreds already mentioned in the thread, that is!

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Is there an App available that changes the sound mode of the phone (silent, loud, etc) depending on what WiFi network you are connected to? I remember hearing on the Tech section on George Hook's show on Newstalk that there is something similar to a dock where you can swipe your phone and it changes the profile (i.e. - one at work to put it to silent/vibrate and one at home to change it to ring etc). Anything along those lines?

I've just got an S3 recently and haven't really had a chance to unleash its full potential yet. Would anyone have any other recommended apps for me? Aside from the hundreds already mentioned in the thread, that is!

You can use NFC tags for that. Youd pick up tags cheap on ebay and can assign actions/switches to them using an app like NFC task launcher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

You can use NFC tags for that. Youd pick up tags cheap on ebay and can assign actions/switches to them using an app like NFC task launcher.

Or just use llama. Exceptional piece of software.

• Advertisement

RangeR wrote: »
    Or just use llama. Exceptional piece of software.

That looks exactly like what I'm looking for. Will give it a whirl and if it isn't what I'm hoping for I'll look into the NFC tags.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Not sure if it was mentioned before, Swipepad seems like a useful little app, just started using it. Use a swipe gesture to launch things. Free version gives 12 slots. Works really well.

4:30 into this vid shows it off:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭G1032

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Not sure if it was mentioned before, Swipepad seems like a useful little app, just started using it. Use a swipe gesture to launch things. Free version gives 12 slots. Works really well.

4:30 into this vid shows it off:

Ya. I've been using it for a while now. Think I saw it recommended here. One of the best apps on the market IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

anyone know of a simple/basic money tracker?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

Dunno if anybody mentioned this.

Libra

It's a simple weight tracker. You put your weight in periodically and it'll show your statistics and give you a simple graph of your trend. I find it handy for my motivation. If the trend is going up it's easier to motivate yourself to skip a few bits of junk food. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

timetogo wrote: »

Libra

It's a simple weight tracker. You put your weight in periodically and it'll show your statistics and give you a simple graph of your trend. I find it handy for my motivation. If the trend is going up it's easier to motivate yourself to skip a few bits of junk food. :D

+1 use it everyday brilliant app.

Btw found a great app called Expenser for keeping track of my money :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Occono

Probably all already mentioned, but I recommend
    • TuneIn
    • Smart Audiobook Player
    • Cabbage
    • Balance
    • QQPlayer
    • Perfect Viewer
    • ScummVM (To play Broken Sword I bought off Gog.com)
    • Kindle (Which can read any ebook files, not just its storebought ones)
    • Feedly
    • SwiftKey
    • Endomondo
    • Deezer

I'm really happy with all those. A lot of them are also why I won't buy iOS, it can use them and its advantages don't appeal to me :/ (Not trying to start something, just that my brother has an iPad and I love it for Netflix, but it shocks me how few Android apps I use a lot are on it. I like the design of iPhones but I wouldn't know what to do with one.....)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

timetogo wrote: »

Libra

another shout for this app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

jaqian wrote: »
    anyone know of a simple/basic money tracker?
    Expense Manager is good. Have used it my self a bit. Seems to be orientated towards business accounts (can take photos of receipts for approval) but works fine for personal use.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement