Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making friends in the city

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Would anyone have any interest in a table quiz in coyotes bar in aid of childline on the 24th? Looking for 2 people to make up a table with a friend and myself, cheers.

ah **** just saw this! love quizzes

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Robert1782_

Hi Karbolt. Don't know if you saw my last message there about the table quizzes, but I love them myself and recently came across a facebook page where they notify people of upcoming ones 'quizzes in Galway-an Irish quiz organisation page' (can't post urls).

Don't know if you like them yourself, but if you fancy making up a team with myself and a few others sometime you'd be more than welcome. Same goes for anyone else interested on this thread :), cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭armadillo86

Hi Karbolt. Don't know if you saw my last message there about the table quizzes, but I love them myself and recently came across a facebook page where they notify people of upcoming ones 'quizzes in Galway-an Irish quiz organisation page' (can't post urls).

Don't know if you like them yourself, but if you fancy making up a team with myself and a few others sometime you'd be more than welcome. Same goes for anyone else interested on this thread :), cheers.

That sounds like fun actually! Let me know when the next one is on :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

The cottage bar in Salthill runs a quiz the first Wednesday of every month, you need to book a table in advance. It's great craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,866 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Havent been at a quiz in years, whats the story with smartphones at them these days? I remember people bitching about them ruining things in college and that was before they really took off...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Thargor wrote: »
    Havent been at a quiz in years, whats the story with smartphones at them these days? I remember people bitching about them ruining things in college and that was before they really took off...

Last few I've been at recently (Albeit not in Galway) had the usual team who knew the Quiz Master, handing up answers they had googled from two rounds earlier and got away with it. If they had a proper no tolerance approach to smartphones itd be class haha. Even though most of the quizzes are for charity. I abhor people who'd go and bother cheating with their smartphones like.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Legend20

Hi. Moved to Galway last week, back studying as a mature ( ;) ) student, anybody know of any 5-aside football going on and how to get involved?

I too would probably be up for table quizzes (I usually nail the music rounds) if there's interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Welcome, the soccer thread is here. Have a read of the last page or two and you'll get a sense of where and when they play.

Great stuff :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Moonage92

Hey everyone! I'll move to Galway in February for an internship and I'm already a bit worried about not knowing anyone.
    I'm German and actually I've never even been to Ireland before, but well, what's life without a little adventure :)
    Does anyone have any good suggestions for me on how to meet new people when I come to the city? :)

• Advertisement

Hi Moonage. If you're interested in languages, there's a language exchange in Kelly's pub in Galway city every Monday night. Foreigners living in Ireland and locals come to talk in different languages to improve whatever one they are interested in. You could also keep an eye on this thread for upcoming events. I'm trying to generate some interest in a regular table quiz team myself. Also, there's a site called 'meetup.com' with loads of different social event categories for Galway on the site if you want to check that out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Moonage92

Hi Robert, that language exchange sounds really interesting, thanks a lot! Are there a lot of foreigners in Galway?
    Great to see that there are so many opportunities :) I'll keep an eye on this board and meetup for sure now.
    Looking forward to living in Galway! :)

For a relatively small city we have quite a lot of immigrants, mostly eastern Europeans like Polish and Lithuanians, and we get a lot of foreign students living here during the college year. I've met quite a few Germans too, so I'm sure you'll come across some :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

quiz tonight in Kings Head at 8pm
    often at these things teams looking for extra team members

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Darragh11

Hey guys im also a mature student, originally from dublin, dont know many people in galway city...when i say mature i mean 27! Still find it hard to mix with people in college with the age gap!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Colleen0000

Hello all :) i am a nurse that has been living in Galway for a few weeks now, i moved up here for work as limerick (my home town) is looking pretty grim at the mo! My friends and boyfriend are all still living in Limerick, I am definitely missing nights out and the chats etc. when I am up here. I am looking to stay in Galway long term, besides obviously travelling home to visit people so would love to make a few buddies!

Darragh11 wrote: »
    Hey guys im also a mature student, originally from dublin, dont know many people in galway city...when i say mature i mean 27! Still find it hard to mix with people in college with the age gap!
    Same as myself man, are you in GMIT?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Have a look at the sticky. There is a Beers coming up 21st, all welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Darragh11

Legend20 wrote: »
    Same as myself man, are you in GMIT?

Hows it goin, nope im in nuig, u in gmit??

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭TomJoe Wallace

Hey guys,

So I've been living in Galway for the guts of half a year now working and I still haven't made a single friend.

I'm not bad with talking with people. I'm a very outgoing person it's just that people don't normally stick around long enough to be good mates with. So I find myself doing pretty much nothing. All of the time.

I think it's about time I made some good friends here.

My name is T.J. and I'm 22 years old.
    Currently went through a bit of a rough patch with some stuff so I'm living near enough to tuam at the moment in my brother in laws parents house.

I will be looking to move back into the city at the start of December sometime so best try to start making friends now.

I'm a bit of a random character and I love the craic.

So if anyone wants a new pal give me a bell. <personal info by PM please> or talk here. Whichever suits.

I'd be free after 5:30 to meet for a coffee or something if anyone is around as I'll be doing pretty much nothing this week!

Be good to get the ball rolling with some people.

Anyone else in?
    Be nice to start a wee gang :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 niamhg49

Hey all, I've been living in Galway for a while now about five months and I'm finding it difficult to make friends, I'm in NUIG. If anyone would like to meet up maybe after Christmas(going home for christmas) that'd be great, just reply to this and we could arrange something!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Rocking_roxy

niamhg49 wrote: »
    Hey all, I've been living in Galway for a while now about five months and I'm finding it difficult to make friends, I'm in NUIG. If anyone would like to meet up maybe after Christmas(going home for christmas) that'd be great, just reply to this and we could arrange something!

Hi Niamh! I'm Rachel and I moved to galway 6 months ago. I am in NUIG also! Finding it difficult to make friends in the course and my old friends are scattered all over the country! If you want to get something started you could send me a private message on this?

Hope to hear from you 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭armadillo86

Hey girls, I'd be interested in hanging out too if ye're up for it... Not in college anymore (but hopefully not too over the hill at 28 lol), new to Galway and finding it kind of daunting to try make new friends 😳

• Registered Users Posts: 24 niamhg49

Hey yeah that'd be great, the more the merrier!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Lookign for someone up for cycling regularly, try to get more active. Not serious cyclist. Love trails, scenic routes, salthill etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Galway K9 wrote: »
    Lookign for someone up for cycling regularly, try to get more active. Not serious cyclist. Love trails, scenic routes, salthill etc.
    niamhg49 wrote: »
    Hey yeah that'd be great, the more the merrier!
    Karbolt wrote: »
    Hey girls, I'd be interested in hanging out too if ye're up for it... Not in college anymore (but hopefully not too over the hill at 28 lol), new to Galway and finding it kind of daunting to try make new friends 😳
    Hi Niamh! I'm Rachel and I moved to galway 6 months ago. I am in NUIG also! Finding it difficult to make friends in the course and my old friends are scattered all over the country! If you want to get something started you could send me a private message on this?

Hope to hear from you 😁

OMG LETS ALL BE CYCLE BUDDIES

Anyone looking to make a few friends could check out the comedy cocktails in Buskers every Wednesday. Generally a small enough crowd and there's always a few boardsies at it

If anyone is interested the Comedy Cocktails is on tomorrow at 9:30 (but often starts later around 10 or so) upstairs in Buskers. Everyone is more than welcome and it's free.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

If anyone is interested the Comedy Cocktails is on tomorrow at 9:30 (but often starts later around 10 or so) upstairs in Buskers. Everyone is more than welcome and it's free.

Yeah, i'll pop in if I can

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Paddy365

Hi All,

Myself and the girlfriend just moved to Galway from Tipperary. We're looking for some social groups to meet new friends. We live in Oranmore. I'm interested in soccer and GAA as well as the social pub scene. Herself loves books, exercise and meeting new people. We'd love to meet people in the areas we're interested in, so if you have any advice or know of any groups we'd appreciate the help.

Thanks

Advertisement