Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's with all the Anti-Arthur Day campaign ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

We should have a day without alcohol day . Actually we have two Good Friday & Christmas day and how the alcohol sales rocket on the days leading up to these. Super marketing by the hungry, filthy fingered alcohol companies.

Suggestion let us purchase alcohol on these day and watch sales level out.

• Administrators Posts: 53,439 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Mr Whirly wrote: »
    I'd say your problem with Christy has more to do with his politics but continue on being a bad bastard about his alcoholism so you can slate the man.

He has politics? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

awec wrote: »
    He has politics? :confused:

Yeah, quite Nationalist ones too. You'd love them. We'll continue on pretending you didn't know that already if you want.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i'd say your problem with awec is more to do with his politics than his comments about christy

Mr Whirly wrote: »
    Yeah, quite Nationalist ones too. You'd love them. We'll continue on pretending you didn't know that already if you want.

I honestly had never heard of the man until earlier on this year. My girlfriend's parents are Moore fans - if I didn't know her I'm pretty sure I still wouldn't know who Christy Moore is.

It would be hard to put in to words just how much of a nobody Christy Moore is in my eyes. His thoughts on politics, whatever they may be, carry no more weight to me than any other individual's thoughts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

All this anti-AD stuff has probably been cooked up by the Diageo marketing team.

Every second radio show and every single newspaper had been talking about Arthur's Day for the last week. You can't buy advertising like that.

The only ones being "duped" are the people who've jumped on the anti-AD bandwagon, unwittingly allowing themselves to be used in a big Diageo marketing campaign.

Let's put it this way; I've seen very few actual advertisements for Arthur's Day around. However, I still know that it's this Thursday because those opposed to it won't stop talking about it. By wittering on about it, they've basically ensured that everyone in the country knows Arthur's day is this Thursday, rather than just a subset of the population.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

i'd say your problem with awec is more to do with his politics than his comments about christy

It's not really to be honest. It was a very disingenuous attack on Christy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭VONSHIRACH

I think the country has more serious problems than Arthur's Day. It is regrettable that there is alcoholism around, but most people who drink like to have a responsible social drink. I am not a Guinness drinker, but I'll probably have a pint of it on Thursday as I am visting a hotel that day anyway. I don't understand what all the negative hullabuloo about AD is all about. There is much more drinking on St. Patricks's Day, St. Stephen's Day, Good Friday!, 6 Nations, All-Ireland, Heineken Cup....................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

whiskeyman wrote: »
    If it takes 750 years for the water in Ballygown to be filtered through calcium-enriched limestone, I think they should market a similar themed day to celebrate this fact.
    Call it 'Calcium-Enriched Limestone Day', and have everyone toast a pint of Ballygowns finest!
    To Calcium Enriched Limestone!!

That'll cut the A&E admissions that day...

no the suicide rate would go up with people drowning in the ballygowan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

yeah but it's a business, their main objective is to make money not to give back, don't con yourself. And if you see a commercial entity 'giving something back' then you have been duped, businesses do not give, they take. Simple as that

You mean the staff work there for free ? And the benefits to the local community through various long running schemes are all made up in the peoples heads who actually benefit from them ?

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    All this anti-AD stuff has probably been cooked up by the Diageo marketing team.

Every second radio show and every single newspaper had been talking about Arthur's Day for the last week. You can't buy advertising like that.

The only ones being "duped" are the people who've jumped on the anti-AD bandwagon, unwittingly allowing themselves to be used in a big Diageo marketing campaign.

Let's put it this way; I've seen very few actual advertisements for Arthur's Day around. However, I still know that it's this Thursday because those opposed to it won't stop talking about it. By wittering on about it, they've basically ensured that everyone in the country knows Arthur's day is this Thursday, rather than just a subset of the population.

Can I say how absolutely right you are. It is of no importance to me either but all the ban, end talk has got more free press. I'm guessing this will be the biggest Arthur's Day yet. Mis guided anti-establishment we'll show them attitude. Now we're getting some where in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Because we celebrate it as a national day, a day of getting drunk for no reason whatsoever! We have no national day of some kind for the things that matter in our history. We get stupid comments about the "Drunken Irish" which we try to dismiss, then we make a day like this. Nothing wrong with having a few at a weekend or the like, but a national day to a drinks company that are no longer even based in Ireland? It is great to have music and the like promoted, but it shouldn't be by making ourselves seem like absolute alcoholics.

I for one am sick of A&E's being riddled in stupidly drunk people wasting very valuable resources, and I am sick of the dirty "Drunken Irish" comments by some.

I agree - we should have a national no-A&E day (the day after Arthurs Day or to co-incide with Arthurs Day) ... where all A&E staff refuse to treat alcohol related injuries !, Garda could refuse to deal with alcohol related incidents (make it optional for safety reasons)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Excuse to drink. End of. People already talk like its been around for decades even though it's in it's 5th year.

Took about 2 years for people to start treating it like a national holiday. Total gob****ery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

crusher000 wrote: »
    Okay National Fish & Chip day lets have a go at that. Far more obese children from eating chips than drinking Guiness.

The Drunk'n Irish, we seem to use this term more than people form outside the Country so this is more an inner reflection on us , than a perception by people from outside the country. Bankrupt Ireland. Corrupt Ireland would be more apt names for some on this island than drunk'n.

Education not legislation will lead to responsible drinking, answer to everything increase taxes or ban.

The RSA probably lead the way in education didn't hear take the cars of the irresponsible , if you break the law your caught, the rest of the population that drive responsibly have nothing to fear. Same for those of us whom enjoy a drink, and yes may get taken in by marketing at times , but not all the time. Heineken Cup, Bulmers Comedy Festival. Alcohol sponsorship has funded many music festivals too. Will Christy et al be pulling out of these events ? As it's our money that goes towards them.

I travel a lot and as an Irishman that doesn't drink I always get the same amazed reaction: 'You don't drink? But your Irish?'. The reputation that we have as a nation of pissheads is entirely our own fault and things like Arthur's Day only perpetuates the stereotype.

Wattle wrote: »
    I travel a lot and as an Irishman that doesn't drink I always get the same amazed reaction: 'You don't drink? But your Irish?'. The reputation that we have as a nation of pissheads is entirely our own fault and things like Arthur's Day only perpetuates the stereotype.

Which came first ? I have travelled as well to other countries and people there get drunk too. I think it's self perpetuating that has givien us the tag and not necessarily our International friends. Most of our tourism is based on Come to Ireland for the music and the crack. It doesn't say come and keep drinking until you fall face down in your own piss. The fact that 2500 pubs have closed means somethings gone ascue somewhere.

Come to Ireland buy your Dutch Gold in Tescos and sit on a wall blaggarden old women is becoming the new mantra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Awec's comments are of an extreme nature, in response to PR against Arthur's Day being put out in an extreme nature. It's like for like. Its not direct intention on his part, its reactionary.
    Where did Christy call anyone a Nazi or engage in otherwise "extreme" stunts? Where did he do anything so low as to dismiss a man for having addiction problems? Basically, what did Christy do to excuse these attacks on him?

Other than suggest that Arthur's Day is an advertising scam, of course
    crusher000 wrote:
    The only ones being "duped" are the people who've jumped on the anti-AD bandwagon, unwittingly allowing themselves to be used in a big Diageo marketing campaign
    'I disagree with X and therefore I'm going to swallow my dissent and allow X to monopolise the airwaves.' Effective campaigning, that

When and where will people learn to drink responsibly ? Is it being brought to the pub with a guardian and sitting down having a chat over a pint , or a friend with fake ID with a plastic bag full of bottles down the park ?.

This is where the discussion around drink should be going and not a day in the year a drinks company has set aside where free living , repsonsible adults have the choice to go out if they wish , or ignore the hype if they want. Arguments against Arthurs day are mis directed in my humble opinion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Reekwind wrote: »
    Where did Christy call anyone a Nazi or engage in otherwise "extreme" stunts? Where did he do anything so low as to dismiss a man for having addiction problems? Basically, what did Christy do to excuse these attacks on him?

Other than suggest that Arthur's Day is an advertising scam, of course

You do realise that he wasn't literally calling Christy a Nazi, it was figurative speech. Does this really need to be explained so basically to you or are you choosing to make more of it, than it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

To be honest the worst thing about Arthurs Day is seeing so many people who aren't used to drinking stout lashing it down their necks like it's going out of fashion. I'd imagine that Andrex were delighted that this 'holiday' came about.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,588 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Candie wrote: »

It's just disappointing that a whole nation, when told by a drinks company to go out on a particular day and buy their drinks, will not only do as they're told, like lemmings, but be so grateful for the instruction that they'll congratulate each other all day about it.

Was trying to articlate this, you've hit the nail on the head.

It's bad enough people go out and buy pints on a given day as decided by a drinks producer, but actually doing it as if it's some sort of tradition to be proud of is absurd.

Worst of all is the fact that this brand is always pushed as being Irish, when it's based in the UK. It's a national embarassment.

Do they bother trying to promote this in other countries?

I wonder would "Budweiser Day" be embraced in the States.

• Advertisement

Worst of all is the fact that this brand is always pushed as being Irish, when it's based in the UK. It's a national embarassment.

We could say the same about our International soccer team. Okay I may have opened the doors of hell with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Christy Moore has always received hassle for calling as it is in this country, unfortunately many people in Ireland react badly to anyone who tells the truth in a blunt manner. When he wrote about British injustice in Ireland he was pilloried for supporting Republicanism, when he wrote about striking Dunnes workers people moaned at him for having a go at the "wealth creators" and now that he's mentioning a cynical, corporate marketing exercise he's getting whinged at again. The man is a major contributor to Irish music and has long articulated on behalf of the downtrodden. He undoubtedly has earned good money from his trade but he has also put his money where his mouth is. He has performed free gigs, attended protests and raised awareness for progressive issues across the world.

Arthur's Day is a joke. It's a cheap, plastic appropriation of Irish culture that plays up to the worst examples of the stereotype of the Irish drunk. Diageo is also trying to use this initiative to boost sales abroad, backed up with pictures of p*ssed Paddies in silly hats getting sh*t-faced in the middle of the week. On top of this, every year we see an influx into A and Es as well as the usual scrote-acting across the country.

I love a good session, probably too much to be honest. I have nothing against people having the craic and obviously individuals make their own choice on what to drink or what not to drink. That doesn't mean however, that we shouldn't be able to have a discussion about the level of boozing in Ireland or the role of multinationals in trying to fuel that. Christy is as entitled as any to point out how this is a pile of b*llocks.

Ol' Donie wrote: »

Oh ffs. Hyperbole much?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Was trying to articlate this, you've hit the nail on the head.

It's bad enough people go out and buy pints on a given day as decided by a drinks producer, but actually doing it as if it's some sort of tradition to be proud of is absurd.

Do they bother trying to promote this in other countries?

I wonder would "Budweiser Day" be embraced in the States.

The phrase - Turkeys Voting for Cristmas - Comes to mind

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Pingi

Big names, small venues, €10 tickets and the surprise element of it.

Grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Technically U2 are based in the Netherlands and have been for about half a decade, does this mean we can no longer regard them as part of Irish music culture? :rolleyes:
    We could say the same about our International soccer team. Okay I may have opened the doors of hell with this.

"...The only reason I have any dealings with you is because somehow you're manager of my country, and you're not even Irish... You English ****." -- Roy Keane (allegedly) to Mick McCarthy, 2002 ;)

The doors of hell, indeed! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Excuse to drink. End of. People already talk like its been around for decades even though it's in it's 5th year.

Took about 2 years for people to start treating it like a national holiday. Total gob****ery.

I remember the first year and the people I live with called me down to the pub for this new thing, "Arthur's Day". I thought they were giving away free Guinness so off I hopped. There were four people I knew sitting around the table sipping on stout that they obviously hated, that childish grimace people who've never tasted stout get.

They bought so much into a marketing ploy they went out and bought something they didn't even like because they were told to. Ridiculous isn't the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

I don't really care much about it one way or another but I can see why some people hate it. It's treated like it's some sort of traditional holiday but it's completely based around alcohol consumption. OP mentioned the German beer-fests and that's a good point but to the best of my knowledge, those aren't monopolized by a single company, it's about a variety of locally brewed beers generally instead. Also, it is an actual tradition that stemmed from the harvest, it wasn't just made up by a marketing team to sell Guinness to kids who don't normally drink it.

Still, they do organise the live shows and that's a bit of fun. Have fun if you want, it does seem like a bit of an excessively moralising thing if this "don't celebrate Arthur's day" is actually a campaign with advertising. If you don't like the day then just stay at home and watch telly for one evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

What product in this country is truly Irish ?. Apart from beef.

Since we are talking about beer here... how about we start with O'Hara's stout, move on to Porterhouse and work our way from there until we reach the approximately 30 Irish owned breweries we have?

Some people say they celebrate Arthur's day to celebrate Irishness. Well then, drink a truly Irish product and not one owned by a foreign company head-quartered in London.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Which came first ? I have travelled as well to other countries and people there get drunk too. I think it's self perpetuating that has givien us the tag and not necessarily our International friends. Most of our tourism is based on Come to Ireland for the music and the crack. It doesn't say come and keep drinking until you fall face down in your own piss. The fact that 2500 pubs have closed means somethings gone ascue somewhere.

Come to Ireland buy your Dutch Gold in Tescos and sit on a wall blaggarden old women is becoming the new mantra.

Of course it doesn't say that but if I was a tourist observing the antics at closing time and the fact that we have a drinks company dedicating a day to going on the lash I'd say I'd get the impression that drinking until you fall down in your own piss is something that the Irish do regularly and often. Hence the reputation.

Advertisement