Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Hazys wrote: »
    Opponent hasn't been announced yet maybe Conor is fighting Dave Grohl...now that would bring in the PPV numbers.

Dave Grohl victory by coolness overload. ****ing love Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

I don't think ppv numbers would suffer much. An Irish fight card would have an early start in America but its not like they have to stay up till 5 in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Itd be around a 9am start time for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

ASOT wrote: »

So the fight card would start in Dublin when?

Saipanne wrote: »
    So the fight card would start in Dublin when?

5 Id say like the 02 event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

nadey wrote: »
    So who would win between frankie and conor?

Frankie IMO. There aren't many fighters at LW or at FW better than Frankie TBH. Aldo is that slight bit better. Apart from him I don't think there's another LW or FW who Frankie couldn't beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,010 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

5 Id say like the 02 event.

That's the first fight. That would mean a midday start on the East Coast and 9am on the West.

The main card wouldn't start till 8pm in Dublin so it would be 3pm on the East and midday on the West.

It's not uncommon for many sports to have an early start in the States and they should be out of the college sports season at that stage, which could cause difficulty at other times of the year.

He's lucky he's in the division he is, as if it was in a more PPV friendly division there'd even be a discussion about a PPV starting that early. All talk of Gus vs Jones in Sweden was always with the caveat that it would be at a time to suit the US market (like the next fight night is).

Hazys wrote: »
    Opponent hasn't been announced yet maybe Conor is fighting Dave Grohl...now that would bring in the PPV numbers.

Maybe he'll do everyone a favour and get rid of Kaiser Chiefs!

That's earlier than I expected. Surely there's some middle ground though.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    That's the first fight. That would mean a midday start on the East Coast and 9am on the West.

The main card wouldn't start till 8pm in Dublin so it would be 3pm on the East and midday on the West.

It's not uncommon for many sports to have an early start in the States and they should be out of the college sports season at that stage, which could cause difficulty at other times of the year.

He's lucky he's in the division he is, as if it was in a more PPV friendly division there'd even be a discussion about a PPV starting that early. All talk of Gus vs Jones in Sweden was always with the caveat that it would be at a time to suit the US market (like the next fight night is).

Yeah and thats what I was saying it was a grand time for the Americans and I don't think it would damage PPV numbers alot if not atall. Also the only reason the Sweden card is on at that time is because its an On Fox card and not a Fight Night card. Unlike the Fight Nights & PPVs they have no power over the time slots.
    That's earlier than I expected. Surely there's some middle ground though.

Yeah it could start an hour or two later im pretty sure Dublin finished at around 10, like it was said above thats the whole event starting that early main card would be around middayish over there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,010 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Yeah and thats what I was saying it was a grand time for the Americans and I don't think it would damage PPV numbers alot if not atall. Also the only reason the Sweden card is on at that time is because its an On Fox card and not a Fight Night card. Unlike the Fight Nights & PPVs they have no power over the time slots.

Dana repeatedly said that any Gust vs Jones fight set in Sweden would be during the night in Sweden so to suit American (North and South) audiences.

They could conceivably gamble covering the PPV loses of a Aldo event, they'd in no way do that for Jones or another top tier draw fighter.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Dana repeatedly said that any Gust vs Jones fight set in Sweden would be during the night in Sweden so to suit American (North and South) audiences.

They could conceivably gamble covering the PPV loses of a Aldo event, they'd in no way do that for Jones or another top tier draw fighter.

I wasnt disagreeing with you on that point I was only telling you why the next Sweden event is on that late. The Jones event was never going to be in Sweden anyway no matter how many times Dana said it or talked about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,728 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I don't agree with that. Nobody wants to watch a non-live sports event if they can help it, and they certainly ain't going to pay $55 to watch it either. If it's live, it'll be in the afternoon, far from ideal. It'll knock PPV buys for sure.

80000 tickets is a lot, but you're not gonna sell 80000 at premium prices. Tickets will have to be sold at affordable rates.

MGM Grand holds 17000 or so. I had bought pretty average seats for Jones v Gustafsson and they were $300 just about. Good seats were $1000. No way you're charging $1000 for a seat in Croke Park. They'll be Fight Night prices.

This coupled with the fact that McGregor will be a relatively big PPV draw (Even if Aldo isn't) will mean they'll want PPV sales.

I wouldn't say there's even 80,000 mma fans in Ireland

Dtp1979 wrote: »

There doesnt have to be, I didnt think there was 400000 Garth Brooks fans in Ireland yet thats how many tickets were sold. It wouldnt just be Irish people going to it anyway, Dublin is basically a hub city and easily reachable from every part of Europe, if it was a numbered event without a doubt 1000s will travel for it.

There doesnt have to be, I didnt think there was 400000 Garth Brooks fans in Ireland yet thats how many tickets were sold. It wouldnt just be Irish people going to it anyway, Dublin is basically a hub city and easily reachable from every part of Europe, if it was a numbered event without a doubt 1000s will travel for it.

Well I bought 395,000 garth tickets. That explains that one

Doesn't need to be. Just need to sell 80000 "cage fighting" tickets.

Doesn't need to be. Just need to sell 80000 "cage fighting" tickets.

No I believe its bare knuckle boxing Joe, Bloody barbaric lots of deaths in the cage.

Just today i've seen 3 different people sharing a Conor McGregor hype video posted by Joe.ie (or someone) on Facebook and not a single one of these people would have ever watched an MMA event before that didn't involve Conor McG! There are easily tens of thousands of others who would buy a ticket to see Conor and then crawl back into their caves if he lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I wouldn't say I was an mma fan but would be interested in any large sporting event like that at croker and I think a lot of people would feel the same.

Just today i've seen 3 different people sharing a Conor McGregor hype video posted by Joe.ie (or someone) on Facebook and not a single one of these people would have ever watched an MMA event before that didn't involve Conor McG! There are easily tens of thousands of others who would buy a ticket to see Conor and then crawl back into their caves if he lost.

Yep its the Joe Sport one, its actually really really good. Same as myself loads of people sharing it from women to men who would all pay to see him. MMA will be huge in Ireland hopefully in the next few years and as much as it will pain certain people to say it its all down to McGregor, unreal stuff!!

• Advertisement

Thing is, I don't think MMA will be huge at all. I think people will get behind Conor because, as someone else in the thread said, there are an awful lot of bandwagoners in this country!

Conor loses, and MMA goes back to being Cage Fighting and nobody really cares anymore. Sure there'll be a load more fans naturally, but there won't be any more stadium shows!

No I believe its bare knuckle boxing Joe, Bloody barbaric lots of deaths in the cage.

Its like human cock-fighting. There's no rules at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

TimRiggins wrote: »
    They'll make prob over 5 million on ticket sales alone. Plus PPV will be bought in America regardless of what time its at.
    Ticket revenue is tiny compared to PPVs. 5 million gate is massive. But it's a tiny PPV. He needs to sell about 20million in PPV to be considered a successful event.

A "Brock" event does 50 million.

Thing is, I don't think MMA will be huge at all. I think people will get behind Conor because, as someone else in the thread said, there are an awful lot of bandwagoners in this country!

Conor loses, and MMA goes back to being Cage Fighting and nobody really cares anymore. Sure there'll be a load more fans naturally, but there won't be any more stadium shows!

I dont know, the more people that get into it now start training and competing it will only grow, it wont be as big as GAA/Rugby/Football but itl be fairly big i think, well it can grow that big the way its going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

I sense that people in this thread don't want Mma to become big or mainstream. Would that be true?

I sense that people in this thread don't want Mma to become big or mainstream. Would that be true?

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

And?

What harm are they doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

I preferred MMA 3-4 years ago there is too much much of it now and hard to follow, I'd prefer 8 big events a year now we get nearly 8 events a month.Its too much cards are watered down if main event is scrapped there is a good chance whole card is cancelled cause its not strong enough with out.

UFC was good because few years ago any fight on the vard could be a main event, not anymore.

I'm not a huge Conor fan but he is a breath of fresh air for the UFC

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭osl

It seems a lot of fanatical people give out about bangwagoners. Personally I try to jump on a few bandwagons every week. Great craic, I've never understood the hatred towards them.

• Advertisement

I have no problem with it but I don't really like how some people gained an interest only in McGregor and don't bother with the rest of the Irish fighters or mma in general.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement