Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do ye drink with yore ma?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

My mother is awesome.

I'll get pissed with her, drink a glass with her in the evenings, whatever.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,335 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I drink and drive in my Atari Jaguar.

Oh well, back on topic... I wish I could have a drink with her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Well, we've been fairly drunk together and would have a glass of wine or vofka and coke if we're watching a film or something. Generally when we're drunk together we're on holidays with my aunt and granny and we're all having a few (getting memories of my aunt and I doing karaoke in Tenerife and the barmen giving everyone toilet paper to put in their ears!). Can't say I've been out on the lash per se but I have been to late bars etc whilst on hols.

There was this one time when I was about 19 and living at home that I bought a nagin of vodka at the supermarket as I had a party coming up in a week or two where we were going to make cocktails. My contribution was the vodka. I went to get it from the drinks cabinet and it was 3/4 gone. My mum had partaken of a few drinks one night .... she had to run out and get me another one. Serves me right for putting it in the drinks cabinet!

• Subscribers Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭girl_friday

In my limited experience with this sort of thing, I've noticed it generally happens between mothers and children that have a good age gap, (like 30+) and usually the child is the youngest of the family, and they are all a bit more chummy.

I'm the oldest in my family and my mum was quite young when she had me and we drink together when I visit. We stay at home because due to a bad breakup with my ex I can't go to the local pubs/clubs :( but yeah, we get drunk... I do however always make sure that she drinks more/gets drunker than I do... Seems disrespectful otherwise. :eek: Know its sneaky but she's not the easiest person to talk to sober at times so I've often taken advantage of her drunken state to tell her things!! :D
    Maybe lf someone doesn't drink , they find it hard to understand those who do.

My dad doesn't drink... He used to think we were mad even having wine with dinner. There is alcoholism in his family and he sees it as a slippery slope!! However with time (and the realisation that he had no control on his wife and eldest daughter!!) he has come around to the idea that we can drink in the house without being alcoholics!! He does however tend to go up to the room to watch tv in peace once the first bottle of wine is finished!! He knows where his tolerence ends I guess!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

no i'd rather stick pins in my eyes than have anything to do with my mother in a situation with alcohol involved. she frowns upon it, i wouldn't be able to relax and we don't have that type of relationship anyway where i'd want to have anything to do with her socially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭JaneyMc

I'm actually shocked, how many people are saying no here! I love drinking with my Mam, she's great fun with a few drinks on, and could drink me under the table any day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Neither of my parentals drink so that'd be a no. I'd love to see them both pissed just once for the laugh though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I hope my kids would give me drugs :(

I have been drunk many a time with my Ma. She'll drink to an opening of a cereal box, but often doesn't want to suffer the stigma of drinking on her own, so she grabs me and plys me with wine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Clare Bear wrote: »
    Neither of my parentals drink so that'd be a no. I'd love to see them both pissed just once for the laugh though.

It's entertaining alright. I've only seen my dad drunk once, and it was highly entertaining. We still mock him over it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭LolaLuv

WindSock wrote: »
    She'll drink to an opening of a cereal box
    Lolz. Great line!

Advertisement