Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do ye drink with yore ma?

Options
  • 20-09-2008 9:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭

I was just thinking about the fact that (in America, at least) it's sort of a rite of passage for a man to drink with his father once he's reached adulthood. However, I haven't noticed a similar rite between mothers and daughters. So my question is, have you ever had drinks with yore ma?:pac:

(Not with my ma, but I've had 'em with yours! Ok, it's been said once and doesn't need to be said again!)

EDIT: Poll question refers to drinking to get tipsy or drunk, not just having a glass or two with food!

Do you drink with yore ma? 27 votes

No, my ma doesn't drink.
    0% 0 votes
    No, my ma does drink, but not with me.
    40% 11 votes
    Yes.
    22% 6 votes
    Atari jaguar.
    37% 10 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I'll dare to say it.

It does seem to be a common enough theme on the northside.

But haven't noticed the same on the south...

(of dublin for any touchy culchies)

I'm not going to risk at guessing why that is..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭LolaLuv

Lolz, oh no! This thread is about to take a horrible turn...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

What do yo mean by drinking with your mother ?
    A glass of wine over dinner in yours/hers ?
    A glass of wine while out over lunch ?
    Or out on the lash ?

I have consumed alcohol with my mother at social and family gatherings but I don't go out 'drinking' with her,
    she has her friends and I have mine but we would have a few glasses of wine and a natter when I call up.

I think all of the above. For the poll purposes, let's say out on the lash, but everyone can clarify in their posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

The southside mas are better drinkers than the northside ones ....;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I'll have a glass of wine or two at dinner, but definitely not spirits, and getting drunk or even tipsy is a no no!

latchyco wrote: »
    The southside mas are better drinkers than the northside ones ....;)

my ma would bate your ma....

Piste wrote: »
    I'll have a glass of wine or two at dinner, but definitely not spirits, and getting drunk or even tipsy is a no no!

is that an age thing or a respect thing?

ntlbell wrote: »
    my ma would bate your ma....
    My ma is better than yore ma ...

Piste wrote: »

I'm the same, but there isn't usually a lot of alcohol around the house. My da, on the other hand (parents are divorced), loves getting drunk and even stoned with his kids. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

PillyPen wrote: »
    I think all of the above. For the poll purposes, let's say out on the lash, but everyone can clarify in their posts.

Blah!!! I wish you had have clarified this before I said yes.... :o

Yeah I've consumed alcohol in her company...

Nope, haven't gone out 'on the lash' with her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

my ma would drink any of yore ma's under the table:D

MizzLolly wrote: »
    Blah!!! I wish you had have clarified this before I said yes.... :o

Yeah I've consumed alcohol in her company...

Nope, haven't gone out 'on the lash' with her.

Sorry!! Having a glass of wine over dinner isn't really "drinking" imo, I meant more party-style drinking, with the intention of getting drunk or at least tipsy. :D

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Generally no, other than a glass of wine or a beer if I'm having dinner over there, or a couple of drinks in the evening with both my parents if I decide to stay over.

However, there was one memorable occasion following the birth of one of my nephews that my mother and myself polished off more than half a bottle of bourbon that was 67% alcohol. That was fun. :D

I'm the same, but there isn't usually a lot of alcohol around the house. My da, on the other hand (parents are divorced), loves getting drunk and even stoned with his kids. :rolleyes:

I wonder how many have gone out and snorted coke/took e/speed/acid with thier ma

a friend of mine spiked his ma with acid...

she had the night of her life

Sorry!! Having a glass of wine over dinner isn't really "drinking" imo, I meant more party-style drinking, with the intention of getting drunk or at least tipsy. :D

I've probably been a little tipsy in her presence before, can't say I'm too comfortable with it tbh... Seems disrespectful..

shame on me :o

I've probably been a little tipsy in her presence before, can't say I'm too comfortable with it tbh... Seems disrespectful..

would she find been tipsy in your presence disrespectful?

I wonder how many have gone out and snorted coke/took e/speed/acid with thier ma

a friend of mine spiked his ma with acid...

she had the night of her life

:eek::eek:That's horrible to do to anyone, but especially to one's ma! She could've had a bad trip and jaysus, how cruel!

I do know someone who shared a prescription pill addiction with his mother. She'd send him to the pharmacy to pick up her pills and give him half for his troubles.

would she find been tipsy in your presence disrespectful?

probably.

I agree, I've been tipsy around my family a couple of times and it always made me feel guilty, like they put all this effort into raising me right and got a lush in return.

• Advertisement

:eek::eek:That's horrible to do to anyone, but especially to one's ma! She could've had a bad trip and jaysus, how cruel!

I do know someone who shared a prescription pill addiction with his mother. She'd send him to the pharmacy to pick up her pills and give him half for his troubles.

Yup, it was pretty stupid but it turned out to be pretty funny..:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

A friend of mines brothers made hash cakes and her mum had some and she had a great time!! and she's not a young woman either !

Yup, it was pretty stupid but it turned out to be pretty funny..:o

My friend's dad took too much robitussin when he had a cold, and ended up going to the hospital because he thought he was dying, when in fact he was just tripping!:rolleyes:

It wasnt that long ago that there was a stigma attached to irish people drinking at home .

You could get plastered in the local 3,4 nights a week and nobody would bat an eye but god forbid you be seen with an aul bottle of guiness or two for the Ma going home ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Yep , every Sunday night without fail l would meet her and Dad in the local.
    My friends would arrive and we would have a good oul chat , age difference never got in the way of good conversation.
    But then every one of my friends called her " ma ".
    How l wish she was still alive to have just one more with her.
    She was great craic though.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

In my limited experience with this sort of thing, I've noticed it generally happens between mothers and children that have a good age gap, (like 30+) and usually the child is the youngest of the family, and they are all a bit more chummy. I would and could never drink in the presence of my ma, family get together or whatever, she'd murderise me! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Why?
    Do you do strange things :eek::D
    Tell Please.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Come from the country, and my mam works in the local/ only pub. So yes, by necessity.

It was weird a few years ago, not at all anymore. Neither of us would ever get completely trashed, but my mam can and will fight for her right to party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Why?
    Do you do strange things :eek::D
    Tell Please.:pac:

Well yes but she doesn't know that. Although I did come home steamed one time and she punched me a few times. (bint).
    Eh she just has a severe hatred for alcohol, you must know some people like that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Eh she just has a severe hatred for alcohol, you must know some people like that?

Huh? :confused::confused:

Advertisement