Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help me choose new optics

• 04-04-2014 11:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

Hi I am looking for a new scope for paper punching and steel target work out to 1000 yards. It has to fill all of these criteria and im not sure one exists that does.
    • scope has to have moa reticle and moa turrents
    • turrets have to be exposed no caps
    • Only SFP
    • simple crosshair in moa similar to npr2
    • crosshair has to ultra fine so similar to npr2 on nf nxs 32x which subtends .062 moa cannot be over .1 moa
    • At Least 30x mag
    • Better Glass than an nxs
    • at least 65 moa of elevation travel
    • <€3000
    so basically had an npr2 8-32x56 nightforce and going to replace it with an atacr but not sure if ill miss my 32x so i am looking at the alternatives.
    the nxs 8-32 does everything on the list above but id like slightly better glass but cant find any other scope that does everything on the list

Does such a beast exist

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Simply put - no.

Nightforce, March, Sightron are the only scope manufacturers that do good scopes with a magnification power greater than 25. None of them have 1moa hash marks at anything over 32 power (it's usually at around 20 - 24). The other issue being March are over €3000, but clearer glass, and Sightron are the same (no noticeable difference) as Nightforce

Sightron has 55 moa adjustments which is greater than NF and same as March in the same magnification range (IIRC). Only the 15-55 NF has the same mag and same adjustment, but no MOA reticle, and with only 3.7 times zoom the Sightron has it beaten. The March 8-80 has the highest rate of zoom/mag, 60 moa adjustment in elevation, clear glass, but NO moa hash marks at anything over their ranging mag (which i'm not entirely sure of).

You will need to pick the closest one to your needs and go with it.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭gearoidol

yeah im just off the phone with March cass.It looks like a contender.I don't mind if the hash marks are in 1 or 2 intervals.Being second focal plane they are at 1 moa at 40x anyways so that's fine.Do you know anyone using them and are they worth the extra dough over an nxs I wonder?

gearoidol wrote: »
    yeah im just off the phone with March cass.It looks like a contender.I don't mind if the hash marks are in 1 or 2 intervals.Being second focal plane they are at 1 moa at 40x anyways so that's fine.
    Is that the 8-80 as i thought the 10-60 was set at 20x? I know it depends on the mag and reticle chosen.
    Do you know anyone using them and are they worth the extra dough over an nxs I wonder?
    I know three lads with them. Two are using the 10-60 and one using the 8-80. Never got to see through the 8-80 but he was using it for BR (rimfire) which frankly i think is massive overkill and i believe they have since got rid of it as anything over 40x for that discipline is excessive and pointless.

The 10-60 is a fantastic scope. Glass, imo, is comparative to Swarovski/Kahles and the mag range is beyond anything else out there. The reticle choices are good, and perfectly suited to the discipline you intend to use it for. They are light for the scope (some 8-10 ounces lighter than NF and even lighter than Sightron) so perfect for F-Class.

I never got to "play" with the scope as i wouldn't dare adjust someone else's scope. The only thing that put me off was the price tag. Both lads bought their scopes between 18-24 months ago and the cheapest one was €3,300. It's a huge amount of money. The difference in light transmission is slight. IOW i could not tell the difference but there was a difference. Between NF and Sightron none that i could tell with the naked eye.

If you want the absolute best in glass, mag, etc. then March is the one to go for. If you are not concerned with brand name or interested in handing out so much for a scope when both NF & Sightron would do the same job for half and 1/3 the money then look to them.

I cannot give you a definite "March is best" as i did not use it on a regular basis nor do i own one. So there could be cons i'm not aware off. All i can say is i have used and owner Nigthforce. For me they are the number one in target scopes for F-Class. Perfectly designed, functional, and keenly priced for what you get. I recently changed to sightron as the glass quality is little to makes no difference the same as Nigthforce, but at 1/3 cheaper than Nigtforce you loose no quality but save a lot of money (important in these times).

Never have i considered or even longed for a March. They are great no doubt, but for me the cost does not account for the higher mag (seemingly the only difference from other scopes).

With any luck someone with a March might be able to give a more detailed review of the scope.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Cass wrote: »
    Is that the 8-80 as i thought the 10-60 was set at 20x? I know it depends on the mag and reticle chosen.

I know three lads with them. Two are using the 10-60 and one using the 8-80. Never got to see through the 8-80 but he was using it for BR (rimfire) which frankly i think is massive overkill and i believe they have since got rid of it as anything over 40x for that discipline is excessive and pointless.

The 10-60 is a fantastic scope. Glass, imo, is comparative to Swarovski/Kahles and the mag range is beyond anything else out there. The reticle choices are good, and perfectly suited to the discipline you intend to use it for. They are light for the scope (some 8-10 ounces lighter than NF and even lighter than Sightron) so perfect for F-Class.

I never got to "play" with the scope as i wouldn't dare adjust someone else's scope. The only thing that put me off was the price tag. Both lads bought their scopes between 18-24 months ago and the cheapest one was €3,300. It's a huge amount of money. The difference in light transmission is slight. IOW i could not tell the difference but there was a difference. Between NF and Sightron none that i could tell with the naked eye.

If you want the absolute best in glass, mag, etc. then March is the one to go for. If you are not concerned with brand name or interested in handing out so much for a scope when both NF & Sightron would do the same job for half and 1/3 the money then look to them.

I cannot give you a definite "March is best" as i did not use it on a regular basis nor do i own one. So there could be cons i'm not aware off. All i can say is i have used and owner Nigthforce. For me they are the number one in target scopes for F-Class. Perfectly designed, functional, and keenly priced for what you get. I recently changed to sightron as the glass quality is little to makes no difference the same as Nigthforce, but at 1/3 cheaper than Nigtforce you loose no quality but save a lot of money (important in these times).

Never have i considered or even longed for a March. They are great no doubt, but for me the cost does not account for the higher mag (seemingly the only difference from other scopes).

With any luck someone with a March might be able to give a more detailed review of the scope.

thank you very much appreciate the effort in above.

Sent you on a PM there. Contact him and have a chat. Will give more precise info on the March.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 ak204

How old is the nf nxs you are looking at. New nf has better glass .and have a good reputation for tracking. Lifetime warranty. March is supposed to be good I never looked at one. I think there is only a 5 year warranty on them .Smith and bender good scope too very clear but I think they carry a 3 year warranty and a 30 year parts warranty. That's for parts not labour. Good luck with finding a scope. As for me I bought last year nxs 12x42x56 npr2 great scope.

Look at new nxs nf . Changed there glass in 2011 v good a lot clearer. I have nxs 12x42x56 npr2 great scope. All other scopes carry bad warranty. March 5 year warranty. for the price not long enough. Smith and bender I think 3 year warranty and a 30 year parts warranty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭MarkWolff

Nightforce 15-55 competition has the ED glass.
    Ticks all your boxs

Seems to. Reticle FCR-1 is accurate at 40 power so that ticks the box that most others don't (you wanted it at anything over 30x)

What price are they? Around €2,000 - €2,200 or so? Over a grand cheaper than March.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭MarkWolff

Seems to. Reticle FCR-1 is accurate at 40 power so that ticks the box that most others don't (you wanted it at anything over 30x)

What price are they? Around €2,000 - €2,200 or so? Over a grand cheaper than March.

Got mine in for just under €2k.
    The first generation have 5moa per turret revolution, the gen 2 have 10moa per turn but loose out slightly on windage range.
    Great glass, a huge leap over the NXS.

MarkWolff wrote: »
    Got mine in for just under €2k.
    The first generation have 5moa per turret revolution, the gen 2 have 10moa per turn but loose out slightly on windage range.
    Great glass, a huge leap over the NXS.

very interested in this ,the 5 year warranty on the march has me abit frightened ,especially splashing out that kinda cash.Any downside on the competition Mark ?

• Advertisement

cass would I be right in saying @ 100 yards that the ftr-1 subtensions at 30x would be about .024 of an inch and the nxs npr2 @ 32x would be about .062 of an inch ? in other words the ftr1 is about 1/3 the reticle thickness of the npr2

So it says. Now i have never used or seen the 15-55, but that is why i gave the link. They seemed to have addressed the weight of the scope (about time), the thickness of the reticle, placed 1/8th adjustments as standard. IOW all the things that a true competition scope should have.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Hillhunter

Jeepers gaeroid , didn't you buy a great scope 2 weeks ago ?
    HH

Hillhunter wrote: »
    Jeepers gaeroid , didn't you buy a great scope 2 weeks ago ?
    HH

That was just a temporary stop gap and also I've discovered there's a nasty smell of Waterford off of it :-p

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Hillhunter

gearoidol wrote: »
    That was just a temporary stop gap and also I've discovered there's a nasty smell of Waterford off of it :-p

The fella I bought it off was minging too , talk soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

gearoidol,
    I think you should call the companies and talk to them.

I wanted to buy a Night Force and called them on an unrelated question. After a few minutes of conversation, they were able to better address my needs than I realized with another scope, which was cheaper.

You seem to have done your homework so maybe someone at the factory could help you out more.

Advertisement