Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sightron ?

• 24-03-2014 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Thinking of getting a Sightron 10 x50 x60 LRTD for ftr , anyone tried one ?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Yup.

Have/had four Sightrons including the SIII 10-50x60 LRTD.

The scope is as clear as the Nightforce but with better magnification. It has 5 times compared to Nightforces 2.8 or 4 (depending on model). It also has 1/8 click value turrets were this is an extra on some models of the Nigthforce.

I went with the LRTD (Long Range Target Dot) model over the MOA as i found the Nightforce very cluttered and honestly i never used hold off to such an entent that i needed a mark. With FTR you aim one left, two left, three right. So you have a spot to place the centre dot and don't need MOA or Mil-dot hash marks.

The reticle is ultra fine. The first time you look into it it'll seem as though there is no reticle. It's lighter than the Nightforce, cheaper, yet holds the same quality. You might yourself, depending on the weather (sunny hence mirage), rarely using the 50 power but on over cast days it really comes into it's own. It;s the reason i sold the Nightforces and bought Sightron.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Hillhunter

Cass wrote: »
    Yup.

Have/had four Sightrons including the SIII 10-50x60 LRTD.

The scope is as clear as the Nightforce but with better magnification. It has 5 times compared to Nightforces 2.8 or 4 (depending on model). It also has 1/8 click value turrets were this is an extra on some models of the Nigthforce.

I went with the LRTD (Long Range Target Dot) model over the MOA as i found the Nightforce very cluttered and honestly i never used hold off to such an entent that i needed a mark. With FTR you aim one left, two left, three right. So you have a spot to place the centre dot and don't need MOA or Mil-dot hash marks.

The reticle is ultra fine. The first time you look into it it'll seem as though there is no reticle. It's lighter than the Nightforce, cheaper, yet holds the same quality. You might yourself, depending on the weather (sunny hence mirage), rarely using the 50 power but on over cast days it really comes into it's own. It;s the reason i sold the Nightforces and bought Sightron.

Thanks Cass , glad you replied , I too will be selling my nightforce nxs 8x32 npr2 shortly , you have made my mind up , I suppose aimfield sports is the place to go ?

That's where i got mine. Easier than the states and the same price.

In the UK they are £980 (€1170). In the states $1360 (€990). However add on shipping and taxes and duties from the states and it comes to €1260.

There is nothing wrong with Nightforce, not a thing. However for the mag and the price Sightron are simply better. The next scope with similar mag and features is the March. At €3,000+ i know which one i'd go for.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Cass wrote: »
    That's where i got mine. Easier than the states and the same price.

In the UK they are £980 (€1170). In the states $1360 (€990). However add on shipping and taxes and duties from the states and it comes to €1260.

There is nothing wrong with Nightforce, not a thing. However for the mag and the price Sightron are simply better. The next scope with similar mag and features is the March. At €3,000+ i know which one i'd go for.

Thanks again Cass , will ring aimfield in the am , you are right the nightforce are very good, I have as I said the 8x32 nxs but am going to sell it to fund the Sightron and I can get a few more bits and bobs with the change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

I had a good look at a Sightron target scope - similar to that described by cass, a few weekends ago. It was atop a very nice Barnard-action rifle in .284 cal. I have to say that it was very bright, especially in the dank gloom.

It had the finest crosshair I've ever seen in any scope, devoid of any other markings, and, as such, was useless for my particular purpose [I need a mildot reticle for ranging in the sort of shooting that I do], but beat the bejabbers for clarity out of the new S&B PMII beside it. I'm a Nightforce fan, but there is no doubt that I'll be looking Sightron-wards in the eventuality of any future purchase, especially at the price-point.

£900 in UK for this particular model, against £1700 for the nearest, similar NF......even better from a Sightron dealer in BC who is a sponsor on another forum that I frequent, and none of the current US sales hassle either.

tac

• Advertisement

tac foley wrote: »
    I had a good look at a Sightron target scope - similar to that described by cass, a few weekends ago. It was atop a very nice Barnard-action rifle in .284 cal. I have to say that it was very bright, especially in the dank gloom.

It had the finest crosshair I've ever seen in any scope, devoid of any other markings, and, as such, was useless for my particular purpose [I need a mildot reticle for ranging in the sort of shooting that I do], but beat the bejabbers for clarity out of the new S&B PMII beside it. I'm a Nightforce fan, but there is no doubt that I'll be looking Sightron-wards in the eventuality of any future purchase, especially at the price-point.

£900 in UK for this particular model, against £1700 for the nearest, similar NF......even better from a Sightron dealer in BC who is a sponsor on another forum that I frequent, and none of the current US sales hassle either.

tac

Ordered one today from aimfield , looking forward to mounting it over the weekend , thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭16 bore

Hi just being reading your posts guys I to am interested in sightron scopes would love to know how you get on with it when you get it.
    Also Cass did you ever check the scope ability to track is 1 moa adjustment equal to 1 inch at 100 and 10 inches at 1000 etc.

16 bore wrote: »
    Also Cass did you ever check the scope ability to track is 1 moa adjustment equal to 1 inch at 100 and 10 inches at 1000 etc.
    All my Sightron tracked perfectly. No loss of zero, and doing the box test they were well within acceptable parameters. IOW any minute difference in a perfect box test were down to either me, ammo, or the conditions they were shot in.

Not a good excuse as idealy it should be performed in calm conditions and distance from muzzle to target, rest, shootingplatform, shooter, etc. should all be proven and checked before hand. Another aspect is your rifle/ammo. The rifle should be able to shoot 1/4 moa and this must be repeatable. The ammo must also be the best it can be and within 15-20 fps spread. Ideally. Lastly do it multiple times to discount any distractions, mistakes, imperfections. Then use the numerous results to gain a mean/average.

Anything less than the above and results may vary or not be as expected. On my target rifle i got the perfect results every time. Hunting rifles were not as perfect but still damn good, and this was mainly down to factory ammo whereas the target rifle had a proven hand load.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭16 bore

I agree with everything you said but I guess I gave you the wrong idea when I said the scope ability to track I should have said vertical track I think they call it a vertical line or ladder test.
    This is preformed at 100 yards where the the scoped is zeroed at 100 and one group fired then moved 10 moa, 20 moa, 30 moa and a group fired at each.
    These groups should then be 10,20,and 30 inches apart. You use a tall target with a line down the middle. The line has to marked using a long carpenters level to make sure it's plum after the target is put up.
    This is also a check to see if your scope is installed level.
    If the scope doesn't track to a true 1/4 moa it will show up when you apply this much elevation.
    Your aim point for groups fired will be the same as the first one ie 100 yard zero.
    I hope this makes sense. This is really a test of the scope ability for long range shooting. Thanks.

Our idea of ladder tests are somewhat different.

I've performed ladder tests and they are to check different loads for grouping/consistency. If others use it as you described then more power to them.

The box test i mention above sounds like your idea of a ladder test. You use a large white sheet of paper (24"x24") or whatever size you choose. You draw a dot/aim point in the centre. You must use a proven round and a rock solid rest/shooting platform.
    • You fire at the centre dot to confirm zero.
    • You then adjust up 10 MOA. Fire again.
    • You then adjust right 10 MOA. Fire again.
    • Adjust down 20 MOA. Fire again.
    • Adjust left 20 MOA. Fire again.
    • Adjust up 20 MOA. Fire again.

When done you should end up with something like this:

picture.php?albumid=2359&pictureid=15071

The distance should measure, from corner to corner, 20 inches by 20 inches. This will test the tracking ability of the scope, the accuracy of it tracking, etc.

For me a ladder test is shooting different ammo or loads, at a set distance (for me usually 1,000 yards) to test which groups better. I have a marker in the butts that takes down the board for every shot fired. This is done by:
    • Having say 5 brands/batches of ammo with 5/10 rounds of each.
    • Firing one shot from each of the 5 batches at a fixed aiming point.
    • Repeating this for all remaining batches.

You may fire the same first batch, first, each time or work from one batch to the other and then "back down" again starting form the last batch you fired to the first. Dealer's choice. This gives each batch the same conditions, same barrel temp., etc. You rest the gun up between each string. Don't want it overheating. Once they are fired you go down and measure the vertical spread of each group that your marker has marked. Something like this:

picture.php?albumid=2359&pictureid=15072

Last time i done this i had spreads of 19" down to 2.375". I then stuck with the batch that gave me the tightest group.

• Advertisement

16 bore wrote: »
    Hi just being reading your posts guys I to am interested in sightron scopes would love to know how you get on with it when you get it.

Went out early yesterday with new scope , it's amazing , glass, tracking and yes 1 MOA is I inch @ 100 and 3 @ 300 , thanks Cass

Glad you got sorted before the weekend.

Now you just need to get some rounds down range. Wait till you're lying down at 1,200 or 1,000. The 5 times zoom, and increased high end mag will make you wonder how you managed before. :D

What do you think of the reticle? Fairly fine isn't it?

Hi Cass , yes it is fair fine , went out this morning to 300 again , could not believe the clarity , the only thing is the parralax , that too is fairly fine but once you get used to it it's brilliant, thanks again, hope to get to the range over the next few weeks , will let you know how I get on

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ak204

Just seen your remark on nightforce optics. Nightforce changed there glass 3 years ago . Way way better than the old one .l have a nf nxs 12x42x56. Looked at the sightron. No comparison. Mercedes vs skoda.

ak204 wrote: »
    Just seen your remark on nightforce optics. Nightforce changed there glass 3 years ago . Way way better than the old one .l have a nf nxs 12x42x56. Looked at the sightron. No comparison. Mercedes vs skoda.

That was my opinion only , it's whatever suits and whatever your content with , I did not mean to knock Nightforce and I don't think I did , just for half the price there is not that much of a difference . I have a nightforce for sale on here and yes the glass is great , is it twice as good as Sightron , I don't think so, I too have all the high end scopes but now I have to cut my cloth to suit my budget , saying that I don't think by going from nxs to Sightron is going to kill me @ 1000 yards , it's my wind reading needs attention , just my 2 cents worth

ak204 wrote: »

Therse comments always make me smile. If you look through a Hawke Sidewinder and then a Swarovski you'll see a definite difference. No doubt. However very few people can look through two high end scopes and see any actual difference and then base their opinion on ether the price, assume dearer = better, or the "hype" surrounding one brand over the other.

You looked at a Sightron. I owned both Nightforce and Sightron at the same time. If there is a difference it's so subtle that it makes no difference especially not for their purpose - target shooting. I read somewhere that a test was done on Nightforce, Sightron and a couple of other higher end target model scopes. The difference in light transmission was something along the lines of 2%.

For a saving of over €6-€700 i can live with 2% especially if it means i can get shooting in a time when every penny counts.

As said abvoe no one is knocking Nightforce. I used them successfully and happily for years. The 8-2, 12-42 both NXS and BR models. But over €600 is nothing to be sniffed at when there is no discernable difference.

Well to finish what I started , I am very happy with the Sightron , thanks for the good advise Cass
    HH

Advertisement