Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are Fianna Fail FFinished?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭sdanseo

on actual polling day when the keyboard warrior unemployed and under 30 die hard shiners aren't bothered going to a polling booth.

I always find it amusing that the scroungers with nothing else to do all day are the ones who don't bother going and voting. Are they just lazy or is it that they simply have a sense of entitlement to free moolah that our welfare state has bred into them over generations of handouts?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

sdanseo wrote: »
    I always find it amusing that the scroungers with nothing else to do all day are the ones who don't bother going and voting. Are they just lazy or is it that they simply have a sense of entitlement to free moolah that our welfare state has bred into them over generations of handouts?
    Without trying to classify them all together, traditionally certain disadvantaged areas had very low turnouts due to the belief that regardless of who go into power, their lot wasn't going to change as politicians didn't care about them.
    As they didn't vote, the politicians may not have made much visible effort within these areas thereby fulfilling the circle.

kbannon wrote: »
    Without trying to classify them all together, traditionally certain disadvantaged areas had very low turnouts due to the belief that regardless of who go into power, their lot wasn't going to change as politicians didn't care about them.
    As they didn't vote, the politicians may not have made much visible effort within these areas thereby fulfilling the circle.

Makes perfect sense. I should qualify my statement to say that I didn't mean to imply that I group people together like that either - I have no objection to welfare where it's needed and called for. I have a problem with people who take it and then complain about politicians, but don't bother to vote.

I genuinely believe anyone who doesn't vote - regardless of where they're from - should forfeit the right to protest about government controlled issues. If you want to vote for no-one, spoil the vote and they count those too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

It is also intergenerational I imagine. Those whose parents didn't vote or engage in civic life are less likely to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

MouseTail wrote: »
    It is also intergenerational I imagine. Those whose parents didn't vote or engage in civic life are less likely to do so.

The water protesters must take some responsibility for this. They complain about how unrepresentative this govt is and how the country is rotten to the core but elections come and go and they waste their vote by either not bothering to vote or giving it away for nothing.

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    The water protesters must take some responsibility for this. They complain about how unrepresentative this govt is and how the country is rotten to the core but elections come and go and they waste their vote by either not bothering to vote or giving it away for nothing.

They'll all also shoulder the blame for Sinn Féin getting more seats this time round. People are so caught up in the relatively unimportant issue of water charges that they don't notice - or don't care at all - that Sinn Féin are completely incompetent. They just want someone to axe their €160 a year bill.

Advertisement