Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pro12: Munster vs Leinster, Sat 31 March 7:30pm, Live on RTÉ2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

We're staying in some sh1thole budget hotel in the middle of town.

So keep away from the ground till the end yeah?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

Leinster
    durkadurka wrote: »
    We're staying in some sh1thole budget hotel in the middle of town.

So keep away from the ground till the end yeah?

There is always a decent buzz around the ground but sure if ye are starting at 4.30, you'll have plenty of time to sample a few pubs before heading there! Enjoy yourselves!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Leinster
    One thing that I'm hoping for (apart from the obvious Munster win and a good game) is that it won't be decided by poor refereeing/some controversy. Too many big games are marred by bad refereeing decisions, sometimes in critical areas. I know it's a hard game to ref but I hope the game is decided on the quality of rugby rather than an officiating error.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Fireball07 wrote: »
    One thing that I'm hoping for (apart from the obvious Munster win and a good game) is that it won't be decided by poor refereeing/some controversy. Too many big games are marred by bad refereeing decisions, sometimes in critical areas. I know it's a hard game to ref but I hope the game is decided on the quality of rugby rather than an officiating error.

You heard that knock ons are now penalty tries, right?

A big hope for me is no injuries on both sides.

Because lets face it. Next week is what really matters for both sides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Leinster
    A big hope for me is no injuries on both sides.

I don't know what Leinster have to worry about, you're only facing blooming Cardiff. :D

I don't know if they are lulling us into a false sense of security. Getting walloped by fecking glasgae doesn't strike me as ideal confidence building preparation it must be said!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Leinster
    Fireball07 wrote: »
    Ah now, Horan isn't that bad. And Du Preez struggled against Connacht too, there could be lots of reasons to pick Horan.

For example, I would say that both Jennings and McLaughlin are inferior to SOB and that D'Arcy is inferior to McFadden. Doesn't mean it is the wrong choice.

Paul Wallace was very complimentary about Horan's scrummaging on Matt Cooper last night, seemed to think he'd be in the running for the summer tour... I dunno, I would still rate wdp ahead of him.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭fitz

Paul Wallace was very complimentary about Horan's scrummaging on Matt Cooper last night, seemed to think he'd be in the running for the summer tour... I dunno, I would still rate wdp ahead of him.

Oh sweet zombie jebus.
    If that happens, it really is the cherry on the turd-cake that is the DK school of selection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

I'm by no means even educated in the ways of the 'Front Row', but at the moment I'd rate Hagan as probably the least strongest TH of both teams today. I think he's got bags of potential, and will do very well under the Leinster coaching team, but at the moment he's no where near this level. I'd be worried if Ross picked up an injury early on tbh...

Having said that, I do think in a couple of seasons we'll all be cheering for him to be in an Irish shirt...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

.ak wrote: »
    I'm by no means even educated in the ways of the 'Front Row', but at the moment I'd rate Hagan as probably the least strongest TH of both teams today. I think he's got bags of potential, and will do very well under the Leinster coaching team, but at the moment he's no where near this level. I'd be worried if Ross picked up an injury early on tbh...

Having said that, I do think in a couple of seasons we'll all be cheering for him to be in an Irish shirt...

If you were to judge Hagan on the only time he got a consistent run of games you'd have to say he's the best out of the young props, at the start of the season he was one of Leinsters top performers and many were baffled as to how he wasnt at least given a chance with Ireland. He's struggled a few times since then but I'd still be very hopeful that if he got a good run again he wouldnt let us down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Leinster
    RoundBox11 wrote: »
    I can't wait for this game now. Always a great match.

Tbh i don't see how Munster are going to be able to live with Leinster. No POC, no Ryan, no Wallace, no Howlett, no Murray. I can't see anything but a Leinster win.

I think Munster are shooting themselves in the foot by picking Horan ahead of DuPreez. Fair enough Horan might be able to raise his game because of the whole Munster V Leinster thing, but id never select an inferior player just because of the personal rivalry involved. Seems rediculous to me. Mike Ross is going to have a field day. In fact, even Jamie Hagan would do a number on Horan imo.
    Who said anything about Horan being picked because of personal rivalry? He's being picked because he's still a fine player, but more importantly, DuPreez is getting a rest ahead of the HC game. No point having a squad unless you utilise it

shuffol wrote: »
    If you were to judge Hagan on the only time he got a consistent run of games you'd have to say he's the best out of the young props, at the start of the season he was one of Leinsters top performers and many were baffled as to how he wasnt at least given a chance with Ireland. He's struggled a few times since then but I'd still be very hopeful that if he got a good run again he wouldnt let us down.

True - I suppose THs need a decent run to get the best out of them. He was very good in the pre-season games.. Anyway, good to see him get 'back on the horse' after last week..

Excited now, getting ready to get the bus down to Limerick.. it's like Christmas!

Anyone in that area, what's the weather like? Will it stay dry/warm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Dylan Hartley
    The way I see it is Hagan is better than Archer, but neither are playing regularly and neither are playing well when they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Leinster
    fitz wrote: »
    Oh sweet zombie jebus.
    If that happens, it really is the cherry on the turd-cake that is the DK school of selection.

That was my reaction too, but I wasn't quite so eloquent. Lovely turn of phrase there Fitz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Leinster

Excuses in early. :p

Excuses in early. :p

Pah!

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

Dylan Hartley

But last year when Hagan was the starting TH at connacht he held up the scrum well. Its just because he's not getting his chances to prove himself with Leinster

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Munster missing too many important players in this one, they'll work hard and make it competitive but won't win because too many key players are out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭joshrogan

Dylan Hartley
    Leinster 15 Munster 9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Leinster
    Leinster have more quality on the field and are miles better on the bench, breaks my heart, but Leinster by 6... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

Dylan Hartley
    Should be a Leinster win. Munster are missing 6 potential starters and Thomond Park holds no mystery for the Leinster lads. Hopefully the lads will prove me wrong and put in a big performance, but it's a tough ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Only just had a good look at the teams, Leinster have left half the first choice pack on the bench (Healy, Strauss, Cullen, SOB). Odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Dylan Hartley
    danthefan wrote: »
    Only just had a good look at the teams, Leinster have left half the first choice pack on the bench (Healy, Strauss, Cullen, SOB). Odd.

True. But what has that done to their strength? F*ck all IMO.

Of course that's brilliant from a Leinster POV but I'm weeping here! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Dylan Hartley
    Leinster are unlikely to be click straight away, and their style demands time. If they get it wrong, which is more than likely due to their lack of time together, Munster will be well in this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Blackheath

Leinster
    Munster will need a big game from the back row

Anyone else read the indo? Laughable stuff from farrelly... Heaslip was outshone by all of his opposite no 8s in the 6n apparently. Bod should be moved to 12 for Ireland to allow earls at 13. Also love the apology they had write up for blackrock for writing a bogus story... Ugh. Why am even reading this?

Dylan Hartley
    Anyone else read the indo? Laughable stuff from farrelly... Heaslip was outshone by all of his opposite no 8s in the 6n apparently. Bod should be moved to 12 for Ireland to allow earls at 13. Also love the apology they had write up for blackrock for writing a bogus story... Ugh. Why am even reading this?

I saw it and was amazed he was paid to do this job. Along with what you mentioned, it looked like he was annoyed ROG was not being selected: "The out-half is frustrated by the fact that he went into the Six Nations in superb form and in possession of the Ireland 10 jersey, but had to make do with cameos off the bench behind Jonathan Sexton".

The Earls-BOD best midfield comment, along with saying it's "fair to say" Heaslip was outplayed by his opposite number in every game made me cry a little inside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,361 ✭✭✭✭phog

Whatever about reading it, why contaminate a match thread with it;)

Dylan Hartley
    phog wrote: »
    Whatever about reading it, why contaminate a match thread with it;)

The article was about the match, but he added those asides.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Dylan Hartley

Ha Ha you read the indo!!!!

Pints going down nicely in the pier hotel. Atmosphere building....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Dylan Hartley
    Come on Leinster! Out of the country with my school so missing match, will appreciate all updates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Slowest Leinster backline of my generation. Too much is being made of 'on paper' match ups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Dylan Hartley
    streams?
    RTE.ie is the only legal one that we are allowed talk about here

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Banbridgeman

In my opinion Leinster aren't starting 4 first team players in Healy, Strauss, Cullen, O'Brien. I would also put McFadden at 12 as well. Don't think Leinster have selected anywhere close to their strongest team. Scary bench though!!

Dylan Hartley
    This is on bbc alba for anyone in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

WeeBushy wrote: »
    Yes it is a common enough tactic. Particularly when you are playing away from home or against a team like Italy who are all grunt and not much else.

For both the general idea is to ride the initial wave with hard graft and forward power, and then in the last 30 bring on the impact guys against a tiring side.

Against good sides they are going to be able to keep up the pressure the whole way through so that tactic doesn't work as well. Which is why I think Schmidt has gone for a bit of both as we are away from home but Munster are certainly a side that can play 80 minutes of rugby.

Thanks for the reply. This is a huge part of what interests me in rugby, and why I think league ends up playing like a lot of other team sports (almost losing the point altogether, frankly).

Sometimes on-field plays I end up not really picking up on during the game because its so quick; it'd be nice if there was a thread for the various kinds of strategy employed on and off the pitch (but maybe there's not enough content in that for a topic).

19543261 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. This is a huge part of what interests me in rugby, and why I think league ends up playing like a lot of other team sports (almost losing the point altogether, frankly).

Sometimes on-field plays I end up not really picking up on during the game because its so quick; it'd be nice if there was a thread for the various kinds of strategy employed on and off the pitch (but maybe there's not enough content in that for a topic).

Hi Declan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

Dammit, and here I thought I had made my name as ambiguous as possible! Infiltration failed - again!

• Advertisement

Leinster
    aaaaaah getting close now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Dylan Hartley
    "Munster saw what is effectively Leinster's front row scrumaging against England and is likely to target it."

WTF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

I think Munster will win this. By 6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Dylan Hartley
    "Munster saw what is effectively Leinster's front row scrumaging against England and is likely to target it."

WTF

Yeah I noticed that. Bizarre statement. Hook just said "Munster is different":rolleyes:

Leinster
    COME ON MUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNSTER!!!

Can't wait

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Anyone stuck for a stream.....just do what I do while out of the country.....take two mints and a pork dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭circos

Dylan Hartley
    COME ON LEINSTER!!

Dylan Hartley
    circos wrote: »
    COME ON LEINSTER!!

fixed your post

Leinster
    Donal Lenihan just said Wally was originally picked but then cried off afterwards. Surely this would have been mentioned by Munster during the week?

• Advertisement

Leinster
    Donal Lenihan just said Wally was originally picked but then cried off afterwards. Surely this would have been mentioned by Munster during the week?

And Hurley too.

Well if it was only a slight niggle, they just mightn't want to risk him. Surprised that we didn't hear anything before but that's the kind of thing that Lenihan would hear.

Advertisement