Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever been to a Michelin star restaurant?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭STEINBERG

After recently watching the Irish master chef where they had to cook in the Hotel in Waterford, forgot the name! but it holds 1 star.

After the amatures sent out there dishes the customers were interviewed. One guy said, "i have eaten here before, and i know the food well. They cooked it well and it tasted great, but the one thing that let the dish down for me was the plating."

So in basically he is willing to pay all that money but is worried about how it looks on the plate,, the same fella had the camera pan across to him while he was eating and you swear to god he was afraid to taste the food with the pitiful scraps he was trying to fit on the fork. Like he was tasting baby food or something.

For me i enjoy good food and there are plenty of good restraunts around the country that do it at half the price of these places, with the same level of service. I don't care for foams, jelly squares of some blended veg, all those stupid little things that for me is not cooking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭GenieOz

YOU FILTHY PIG!! :mad: TO HELL OR TO SUPERMACS WITH YOUUUU!

Clearly I don't know good food and want food piling on the plate :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Some people consider it good value to spend €16 visiting an all-you-can-eat Chinese buffet like Jimmy Chungs, and stuffing their face with disgustingly cheap meat and pre-prepared vegetables floating in a sugar-laden semi-luminous sauce. Others consider it far better value to visit Chapter One and spend less than €40 on an early bird menu that is sensational in the quality of the ingredients and the technical competency of the cooking. Or €27 for 3 courses in The Pig's Ear, a place with a Michelin Bib Gourmand. You'll be filled in both, if that is your main objective. I don't think you can realistically argue that the latter option might cost a bit more, but represents far better value.

There seems to be this peculiar development on boards whereby professing a like for good food, craft beer or decent wine marks you out as a snob. Well if that is the case, then you can mark my card as a snob.
    When you use words and phrases such as 'disgusting', 'cheap' and 'stuffing their face' you do come across as a snob. No offence.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

STEINBERG wrote: »
    After recently watching the Irish master chef where they had to cook in the Hotel in Waterford, forgot the name! but it holds 1 star.

After the amatures sent out there dishes the customers were interviewed. One guy said, "i have eaten here before, and i know the food well. They cooked it well and it tasted great, but the one thing that let the dish down for me was the plating."

So in basically he is willing to pay all that money but is worried about how it looks on the plate,, the same fella had the camera pan across to him while he was eating and you swear to god he was afraid to taste the food with the pitiful scraps he was trying to fit on the fork. Like he was tasting baby food or something.

For me i enjoy good food and there are plenty of good restraunts around the country that do it at half the price of these places, with the same level of service. I don't care for foams, jelly squares of some blended veg, all those stupid little things that for me is not cooking.

It was the cliff house. I kind of get where he was coming from in that the food just looks so beautiful when it's sent out. It also tastes spectacular but I guess the Michelin star experience is the whole package.

I find lately any kind of sauce ruins a good steak, a decent steak done rare will have succilent juices to please the pallet. Sauces can overpower the meat.
    Didn't ruin my steak, it ruined my trousers.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

STEINBERG wrote: »

The visual aesthetic of the food is important. From a pre-packaged sandwich in your local Esso to the placing of a sauce on a meal in a Michelin starred restaurant - it's visual appearance is important. Talented chef want to showcase their technical mastery and inventiveness with food.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Yes, I have, but Le Bon Crubeen is far better.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Linka

GenieOz wrote: »
    Not in all of them you don't.
    It appears to be considered uncouth to serve so much food it fills you, you should be left wanting more.

The problem is, that some people wolf down food without giving it time to settle. Others eat slower and stop when they are full. Big difference, and gorging is uncouth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

Some people consider it good value to spend €16 visiting an all-you-can-eat Chinese buffet like Jimmy Chungs, and stuffing their face with disgustingly cheap meat and pre-prepared vegetables floating in a sugar-laden semi-luminous sauce. Others consider it far better value to visit Chapter One and spend less than €40 on an early bird menu that is sensational in the quality of the ingredients and the technical competency of the cooking. Or €27 for 3 courses in The Pig's Ear, a place with a Michelin Bib Gourmand. You'll be filled in both, if that is your main objective. I don't think you can realistically argue that the latter option might cost a bit more, but represents far better value.

There seems to be this peculiar development on boards whereby professing a like for good food, craft beer or decent wine marks you out as a snob. Well if that is the case, then you can mark my card as a snob.

People are simply stating that you don't need to eat in a Michelin Star restaurant to eat well but that doesn't mean they consider Supermacs quality food. There's a middle ground.

When you use words and phrases such as 'disgusting', 'cheap' and 'stuffing their face' you do come across as a snob. No offence.:)

I've never eaten in Jimmy Chungs, but all-you-can eat buffets with big trays of food sitting in a bain marie under lights tend to look both disgusting and cheap. Nothing snobby about that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,311 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

There's saying you like something and then there's going out of your way to profess your disdain for what others might like.

I've never eaten in Jimmy Chungs, but all-you-can eat buffets with big trays of food sitting in a bain marie under lights tend to look both disgusting and cheap. Nothing snobby about that.

I'll give you that, trays of muck drying out over several hours doesn't do it for me.

Linka wrote: »
    The problem is, that some people wolf down food without giving it time to settle. Others eat slower and stop when they are full. Big difference, and gorging is uncouth.

He never mentioned the word "gorging" in his post, he merely stated (sarcastically) that he wants to leave a restaurant full.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭STEINBERG

The visual aesthetic of the food is important. From a pre-packaged sandwich in your local Esso to the placing of a sauce on a meal in a Michelin starred restaurant - it's visual appearance is important. Talented chef want to showcase their technical mastery and inventiveness with food.

I understand that and i also understand why people eat at these places, but i suppose its just not for me, but i certainly would not talk bad about anybody that wants to go there, each to there own i guess,, im just happy with the perfectly good steak i got, and the missus her hamburger in a pub here in cork.. Great tasting food well worth the price and the staff were super friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,842 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

kowloon wrote: »
    A bit of snobbery seeping through the cracks in some of the posts here.

More than just a bit

People are simply stating that you don't need to eat in a Michelin Star restaurant to eat well but that doesn't mean they consider Supermacs quality food. There's a middle ground.

I'm not disagreeing with this. I tend to eat out a lot. I enjoy it and consider it an enjoyable way to spend some of my income. It's not always in a Michelin starred place. My local place here in Germany does a glass of Pinot Noir from a local winery, along with a platter of cheeses, cured meats and freshly baked bread for less than €20. Delicious and filling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭GenieOz

Linka wrote: »

Gorging is, expecting sufficient food to fill you isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Been to chapter one, l'ecrivain, cliff house and Bon appetit (one star) and Patrick guibaulds (2 star) back in the day. Out of all of them, perhaps the cliff house edges in terms of style, presentation, service and the whole science of the cooking. Guibaulds was a bit meh - amazing service but the food disappointed.

kowloon wrote: »
    There's saying you like something and then there's going out of your way to profess your disdain for what others might like.

I'll give you that, trays of muck drying out over several hours doesn't do it for me.

I don't like drinking ice-cold lager that tastes of nothing, carvery food that is mainly potato, cheap meat and salty gravy, or bottles of wine that cost about 12 cent a bottle when bought from the vineyard. That really seems to offend people. Not sure why.

I'm not disagreeing with this. I tend to eat out a lot. I enjoy it and consider it an enjoyable way to spend some of my income. It's not always in a Michelin starred place. My local place here in Germany does a glass of Pinot Noir from a local winery, along with a platter of cheeses, cured meats and freshly baked bread for less than €20. Delicious and filling.

So you're aware there's a middle ground then and when people state they don't have any interest in eating in a MS restaurant it doesn't mean they automatically find Jimmy Chung-whatever-the-fooks top notch food?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Didn't ruin my steak, it ruined my trousers.:mad:

Coupious volumes of Guinness before a meal can have that effect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Pile it high beer soaker carverys anyday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Actually the people who didn't like the Michelin starred restaurants tended to make the jibes about going out to get a burger.

As it happens I've learned from this thread that you can have a lunch at PG for €40 so i'll do that. Ok it's lunch and i won't have any alcohol but that would be a cheap enough meal. I spent €40 per person on a crap Easter pub dinner on Sunday. Ok we had some beer but still.

And people easily spend that kind of money all the time. Just not on the best food.

I don't really get other snobberies. Coffee tastes the same to me. I divide wine into good and bad. Craft beer can be too hoppy. Good food at good restaurants (not always starred) is considerably better than mediocre restaurants.

I don't like drinking ice-cold lager that tastes of nothing, carvery food that is mainly potato, cheap meat and salty gravy, or bottles of wine that cost about 12 cent a bottle when bought from the vineyard. That really seems to offend people. Not sure why.

Many people do though. No one is offended that you don't.

Neither do I.

So what makes you better than me?

Actually the people who didn't like the Michelin starred restaurants tended to make the jibes about going out to get a burger.

Stating they'd prefer a burger is not a jibe, it's stating a preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I've been to quite a few, in Dublin, London and Hong Kong. I'm not swimming in cash but nevertheless I think these experiences over the years were well worth it.

As regards portion sizes, yeah they're small but usually really rich. I've never left a Michelin starred place hungry. I should add here that I'm vegetarian so if assume if you ate meat your experience might be different. I doubt it would leave you hungrier if you had meat on your plate though.

I completely agree that a restaurant doesn't need a star to have good food, service etc. however i do believe that the starred places have a different level going on altogether and you simply don't get the same experience elsewhere. That's not to say elsewhere is sub standard it's just different.

Also I don't think they're all stuffy and stuck up. Take lecrevain as an example. It all depends how into the experience you are. It's worth it to me. I wouldn't spend my money on some things other people do and I wouldn't expect that everyone would want to spend their money as I do. If you're interested give it a go though!

Neither do I.

So what makes you better than me?

Where did I say I was better than you?

You don't go to these sort of restaurants for a feed. **** off to supermacs for that. You go to appreciate the craft of cooking and the symphony of service, quality ingredients, superb cooking skills married to the best wine with the meal. It's an experience like a West End musical, El Classico or great opera. If you don't understand any of this **** off to supermacs.

THIS is where the jibes and the unnecessary and frankly bizarre aggression and snobbery kick in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Stating they'd prefer a burger is not a jibe, it's stating a preference.

Ok then so what's wrong with calling them on that preference as Von whatisname did?

And it's a false dilemma. You can like a good burger and an expensive meal.

• Advertisement

Ok then so what's wrong with calling them on that preference as Von whatisname did?

And it's a false dilemma. You can like a good burger and an expensive meal.

See the post I quoted.

Advertisement