Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever been to a Michelin star restaurant?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

I never said it won't be nice because it's a michelin star place, I said nice is subjective, and just because it's a michelin star place doesn't mean it's always going to be nice. Do you think no one has ever had a dish in a michelin star restaurant and thought it was NOT nice? Ever? Who's being obtuse now ffs.

If they did they ordered the wrong thing. These guys get the stars by being consistent as the lads can turn up any time.

Yes what people like is subjective, if you don't like peas Michelin starred peas aren't going to do it for ya. So don't order peas. The menu will be large enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭K.C

No and never ever will.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I remember looking up places in SF to eat and I think it was michelin ones I looked at for the craic
    Some really mad looking places where the food was all about being a concept, I'm not sure you even ordered and there wasn't a mention of prices anywhere. I think it was very much if you have to ask, you can't afford it
    Wouldn't mind going sometime for the laugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

There's only one thing I hate more than snobs and that's food snobs. I've had plenty of good meals in fancy restaurants and plenty of crap ones. High end does not automatically mean an enjoyable experience.

One thing that does annoy me is this obsession with serving you on slates, slabs of marble, car bonnets, anything other than a fcuking plate!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

bluewolf wrote: »
    I remember looking up places in SF to eat and I think it was michelin ones I looked at for the craic
    Some really mad looking places where the food was all about being a concept, I'm not sure you even ordered and there wasn't a mention of prices anywhere. I think it was very much if you have to ask, you can't afford it
    Wouldn't mind going sometime for the laugh

and then tell them currency is just a concept and leg it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

One thing that does annoy me is this obsession with serving you on slates, slabs of marble, car bonnets, anything other than a fcuking plate!

Balls

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I'm not going to get into the semantics of defining 'nice' for you, look it up yourself

Would you at least concede that it's subjective and not something that can be defined on our behalf by others?
    Yes what people like is subjective, if you don't like peas Michelin starred peas aren't going to do it for ya. So don't order peas. The menu will be large enough.

Menus in such places are usually quite limited. In Spain there was no option on the menu for a coeliac co-worker... the staff had to throw together a plated hodgepodge of other elements on the menu because she asked about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

I've never left one hungry to be honest. It's not about rolling out of the place anyway. It's funny how people confuse quantity and quality, as an aside. I know loads of people who only think they've had a good meal when they have to be intubated afterwards.

El Bulli in your neck of the woods was supposed to have been a life changing experience, will always mourn the fact I didn't get to eat there.

Oh yeah, and I've eaten in Bon Appetit, and the Cliff House. Jays, I'm an awful name dropper :pac:

I don't like being stuffed but I don't like tiny portions either. I never stated I want to "roll out of the place" - there is a middle ground. Not confusing quantity with quality; I know what good food tastes like and have never confused the two. I just want a reasonable portion of the dish served. Hardly much of an ask, in fairness.

Balls
    I was in a place last week and my steak came on a sheet of aluminium, I sh1t you not. You'll never guess what the peppered sauce (scichuan peppercorn jus or some balls like that) came in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

There's only one thing I hate more than snobs and that's food snobs. I've had plenty of good meals in fancy restaurants and plenty of crap ones. High end does not automatically mean an enjoyable experience.

Ah, the car bonnet at 3 am. Brings me back. I agree with you about the slate bollix: have sent food back and asked for a plate. If I wanted to eat off geology I'd graze in the Burren.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

I've eaten in the cliff house too. From memory, the menu isn't too overpriced and the food, presentation and overall location is second to none. And contrary to what you might think, there was plenty of food... You definitely would not have left hungry. Would highly recommend it.

. You'll never guess what the peppered sauce (scichuan peppercorn jus or some balls like that) came in.

Used diesel avensis fuel filter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Christ almighty! The amount of gobsh!tes acting as if there's no happy medium between spending literally hundreds on a meal in a pretentious atmosphere and 'fukking off to supermacs' ....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Would you at least concede that it's subjective and not something that can be defined on our behalf by others?
    Would it make you feel better? No. They're professional chefs who prepare food at a high standard. I don't see what you'd achieve by getting me to spell out 'nice' for you. Is saying that food is nice a PC issue now? What about all the unfortunates who don't like mushy peas, we can't go around saying that mushy peas are nice as we may offend those.

Used diesel avensis fuel filter?
    Not quite.

A thimble. A slightly larger than normal thimble alright, but a thimble nevertheless.

The aggression in some of the posts in this thread is pretty darn hilarious; it's only fcuking food ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

I don't like being stuffed but I don't like tiny portions either. I never stated I want to "roll out of the place" - there is a middle ground. Not confusing quantity with quality: I know what good food tastes like and have never confused the two; I just want a reasonable portion of the dish served. Hardly much of an ask, in fairness.

I've eaten in a number of Michelin Starred places over the years, and have only once left a place not sated. And that was still an utterly sensational meal. If food was mere sustenance then I wouldn't visit fancy eatin' houses at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Had the tasting menu with wine pairings at Aniar in Galway - the best meal of my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jaja321

Have eaten in a few, really love my food and trying out new places to eat. Chapter One in Dublin is overrated in my opinion, really stuffy atmosphere and service is very much in your face - food was good but overall experience not worth it in my opinion. L'ecrivain is better, but really really expensive and probably wouldn't have gone there only for I had a voucher - not sure I would have been able to justify it - still overly stuffy.. and I really dislike being called ma'am and being fussed over. Gary Danko in SF was however totally worth it - food was incredible and better value than what you would get here. Service was also excellent - everything was there when you needed it, but you'd barely know the waiter was even there at the same time - table ninjas! Also nice chilled atmosphere and not stuffy. Think its maybe the difference between Irish and American attitudes to dining out.

Saying all that - some of the best places I've ever eaten in have been cheap as chips.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

The aggression in some of the posts in this thread is pretty darn hilarious; it's only fcuking food ffs.

Food is Serious Business

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

I went to one years ago, never again, food was nice but you were starving going home, had to actually grab a chicken burger and chips a hour later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭GenieOz

Apparently it's the same kind of experience as going to a west end musical or having a ticket to El Classico.

I've eaten in a number of Michelin Starred places over the years, and have only once left a place not sated. And that was still an utterly sensational meal. If food was mere sustenance then I wouldn't visit fancy eatin' houses at all.

Grand. You get enough to eat. Perfect. That's all I wanted to know having never eaten in one before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭GenieOz

Grand. You get enough to eat. Perfect. That's all I wanted to know having never eaten in one before.

Not in all of them you don't.
    It appears to be considered uncouth to serve so much food it fills you, you should be left wanting more.

A thimble. A slightly larger than normal thimble alright, but a thimble nevertheless.

I find lately any kind of sauce ruins a good steak, a decent steak done rare will have succilent juices to please the pallet. Sauces can overpower the meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I love it when restaurants serve small portion sizes. Most restaurants serve ridiculously huge portions, just too much.

But no, never been to one. No that I know of anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I've eaten in one in a small town in France. We went in on Sunday evening (I was about 14 and with my parents and siblings.) The staff were snooty as ****, they spent their time sneering at us apart for the youngest waitress there who said it was because it was the owners serving us as they had two waiters call in sick. We send food back for being cold, it was honestly one of the worst value meals I had ever eaten. We left a five centime tip.

I ate in another restaurant in Paris that was a sister restaurant to a multiple Michelin star restaurant. Supposedly it's the spot they train their new staff in and use it as a feeder restaurant to the proper place to see if the staff (chefs, managers, everyone) can cut it. It's also less formal than the starred place. It was a lovely meal. "Honest proper" food cooked really well. Amazing staff and service. Apparently they've turned down stars for the place over its history as they don't want to guarantee the food there, they want to keep it as a cheaper, training restaurant.

I wouldn't mind eating in a fancy place if I had the money, but equally I'd be happy to eat in a really good chipper. There are a few amazing fish and chips places, and cafes where I am and I'd be happy eating there as well as anywhere else. I'd be expecting different things though.

GenieOz wrote: »
    Not in all of them you don't.
    It appears to be considered uncouth to serve so much food it fills you, you should be left wanting more.

YOU FILTHY PIG!! :mad: TO HELL OR TO SUPERMACS WITH YOUUUU!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,340 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

A bit of snobbery seeping through the cracks in some of the posts here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

Some people consider it good value to spend €16 visiting an all-you-can-eat Chinese buffet like Jimmy Chungs, and stuffing their face with disgustingly cheap meat and pre-prepared vegetables floating in a sugar-laden semi-luminous sauce. Others consider it far better value to visit Chapter One and spend less than €40 on an early bird menu that is sensational in the quality of the ingredients and the technical competency of the cooking. Or €27 for 3 courses in The Pig's Ear, a place with a Michelin Bib Gourmand. You'll be filled in both, if that is your main objective. I don't think you can realistically argue that the latter option might cost a bit more, but represents far better value.

There seems to be this peculiar development on boards whereby professing a like for good food, craft beer or decent wine marks you out as a snob. Well if that is the case, then you can mark my card as a snob.

Advertisement