Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three mobile broadband

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭fr3d12

eirator wrote: »
    I've also recently discovered from another thread that 3 log the maximum speeds of your connection and these are the speeds they feed Comreg when you complain about slow speeds.

I was asked was i at my computer and to do a speed test,it came in at well over 5 mbps,i was then asked what my problem was so i mentioned the test below taken on Monday.
    It is so strange that for the last 5 days i have had basically no connection,opening an email took forever and hey presto the day Three ring everything is hunky dory

2258498514.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

fr3d12 wrote: »
    I was asked was i at my computer and to do a speed test,it came in at well over 5 mbps,i was then asked what my problem was so i mentioned the test below taken on Monday.
    It is so strange that for the last 5 days i have had basically no connection,opening an email took forever and hey presto the day Three ring everything is hunky dory

2258498514.png

To be honest mobile Broadband is just too variable to make any assumptions, mine has been S H one T for the last three weeks but that happens sometimes for up to a month so I'll ride it out and see how it goes - its all I've got anyway :eek:

eirator wrote: »
    To be honest mobile Broadband is just too variable to make any assumptions, mine has been S H one T for the last three weeks but that happens sometimes for up to a month so I'll ride it out and see how it goes - its all I've got anyway :eek:

I see the logic in what you're saying but on the two different days Three rang me about my complaint my speeds were over 3 and 5Mbps respectively.
    Yesterday i could hardly connect and had to keep reconnecting every 15-20 minutes.I am not surpised by the low speeds but my real issue is the way the service was sold to me,i was told i could stream and download big files if i wanted to with download speeds of up to 21Mbps and the possibility of 7Mbps uploads,Three failed to mention that these speeds are what the modem is capable of and not what they can supply.They wouldn't be happy to accept intermittent payments from me but i have to put up with an intermittent service!

Three were in touch today and told me that I am currently receiving acceptable speeds which I am but they still do not grasp what my problem is or in the least fail to acknowledge it.When i mentioned the many times I had unacceptable speeds they said there was nothing they could do and that I could expect speeds to drop at times and when it happens again to ring them.
    To summarise complaining was a complete waste of time as are comreg in my opinion.
    It seems I have to put up with it for the next 9 months because I doubt very much the current speeds are anything other than temporary.

That's great so,the government always do what they say they will

I was being sarcastic, as I was trying to point out that the Governments definition of broadband which was always a weaker industry and consumer accepted definition of broadband, always on, which meant on and slow!

Of course I know that the government will do what they always do, they do what the civil Servants tell them, they have no clue on communications (look at eircom, they had lots of warnings with at&t, etc), more so on bog politics. So i agree with you.

I think we should have being one of the first to test and on successful completion beta test 4G or whitespaces, it would have being beneficial to us being a low density state.

Ah common sense is out the window when you see the circus of c*nts in our country in power!

Everything is late and and over budget, were good at it, why stop now.

• Advertisement

NoDrama wrote: »

Ah common sense is out the window when you see the circus of c*nts in our country in power!

Everything is late and and over budget, were good at it, why stop now.

Couldn't agree with you more.

Comreg got back to me and have obviously accepted everything Three told
    them about their service.In hindsight I realise it was a complete waste of my time contacting them.
    Does anyone know who funds comreg?
    Below is their email to me after they received Three's report,

I would like to acknowledge receipt of your email.

ComReg’s role in individual consumer cases is to open up the lines of communication between the operator and the consumer and seek an official response to the complaint at hand. We have now received that from 3Ireland and they maintain their position that the service is adequate. If you did wish to pursue matters further you may wish to seek legal advice on the matter. 3Ireland have stated in their final response to contact their Executive Office Team directly on [URL="tel:083%200022933"]083 0022933[/URL] anytime between 9am and 6pm, Monday to Friday should you have any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Does anyone know who funds comreg?

The telcos fund Comreg so Comreg have simply no interest in consumers, they seem to believe everything telcos tell them and telcos know this

bealtine wrote: »
    The telcos fund Comreg so Comreg have simply no interest in consumers, they seem to believe everything telcos tell them and telcos know this

Who or what are telcos?

Who or what are telcos?

telecommunications companies...aka phone companies

telecommunications companies...aka phone companies

So am I right that they are being funded by those they are supposed to regulate?
    If so how the f*** can they be impartial!

• Advertisement

So am I right that they are being funded by those they are supposed to regulate?
    If so how the f*** can they be impartial!

exactly...

comreg regulate FOR the industry and consumers are an inconvenience that must be endured and spun a line to make them go away

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭tiny timy

I know it's not three, but i had huge problems with o2 and they were fcuking me round, so i contact comreg. Within two weeks o2 contacted us apologising and allowing us to cancel our contract with no penalties. So comreg worked well for us

exactly...

comreg regulate FOR the industry and consumers are an inconvenience that must be endured and spun a line to make them go away

I kind of figured that a few emails ago that they were just paying me lip service.

They suggest that if i'm not happy to get legal advice.
    I had thought about the small claims court and from what i read i don't need a solicitor but any company being sued has to have one,therefore i'd be wasting my time unless i stumped up for one as well,it could cost me hundreds to get out of a contract (providing i win) that is only going to cost me 200E or so to see to the end.

No wonder Three et al still happily take on new customers with their already overloaded masts etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭finnegan101

I kind of figured that a few emails ago that they were just paying me lip service.

They suggest that if i'm not happy to get legal advice.
    I had thought about the small claims court and from what i read i don't need a solicitor but any company being sued has to have one,therefore i'd be wasting my time unless i stumped up for one as well,it could cost me hundreds to get out of a contract (providing i win) that is only going to cost me 200E or so to see to the end.

No wonder Three et al still happily take on new customers with their already overloaded masts etc!

the way i would look at that is... it costs what €20 to take them to small claims court... even if you lose it will still have cost them hundreds plus.... and they cant get awarded any costs.... worth it for 20 id say... and give us a shout i would more then happy to help you make a case....
    99pc chance they will settle prior to case anyway......

ill pay the 20 ;-)
    dont let them bully you.... dont give up...
    "illegitimus non carborundum" - dont let the ba*tards grind you down ;-)

the way i would look at that is... it costs what €20 to take them to small claims court... even if you lose it will still have cost them hundreds plus.... and they cant get awarded any costs.... worth it for 20 id say... and give us a shout i would more then happy to help you make a case....
    99pc chance they will settle prior to case anyway......

ill pay the 20 ;-)
    dont let them bully you.... dont give up...
    "illegitimus non carborundum" - dont let the ba*tards grind you down ;-)

Thanks for your support.
    The strange thing is for the most part it has been adequate since they contacted me so in total since i signed up i've had 2-3 weeks service out of 4 months.I'm just waiting for the inevitable and for speeds to drop below what are any way functional.If it stays the way it is at around 2Mbps i suppose i could live with it for the duration.As i said before my main problem is the way it was sold and the subsequent attitude of Three.I knew nothing of Mbps etc until i started having problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭finnegan101

Thanks for your support.
    The strange thing is for the most part it has been adequate since they contacted me so in total since i signed up i've had 2-3 weeks service out of 4 months.I'm just waiting for the inevitable and for speeds to drop below what are any way functional.If it stays the way it is at around 2Mbps i suppose i could live with it for the duration.As i said before my main problem is the way it was sold and the subsequent attitude of Three.I knew nothing of Mbps etc until i started having problems.

pm me anyway if you want help with a letter or phone numbers of their executive office... 2-3 weeks out of 4 months is shocking...
    hope they sort out credit for you....but better off trying to get out of contract if you can....

pm me anyway if you want help with a letter or phone numbers of their executive office... 2-3 weeks out of 4 months is shocking...
    hope they sort out credit for you....but better off trying to get out of contract if you can....

Thanks again.
    I'll just see how it goes for the next few weeks.
    For the first week it was great and after that has been intermittent,like taking forever to open and send emails with attachments,having to pause video on youtube for 10 minutes to watch one minute etc.
    Also tried vodafone and 02 on here and Three are the best of the lot so unless i get fixed line BB there isn't much choice really.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 sarah_ie

Hi, I can reate to all the comments here. I've had a not to bad, bearable service from three for 8 months but for the last month im getting speed test results as low as 0.07mbps!! :mad::mad: I've called them today asking them to cancel my contract with immediate effect so I don't have to pay for a service I'm not recieving. 0.07mbps is a far cry from what the sales team promoted when selling me my 60mb heavy usage contract.

This has really angered me and I would like to pursue this further with a consumer agency or small claims court, I'm just wondering has anyone else had any success in his matter?

sarah_ie wrote: »

This has really angered me and I would like to pursue this further with a consumer agency or small claims court, I'm just wondering has anyone else had any success in his matter?

I hear your anger and empathize...it's a disgraceful situation.

But no...you have to read the very tiny print where it says "upto", a trickle of data or even no connection still qualifies as "upto".
    There was a campaign last year about this but it fizzled out. Comreg don't give a crap and the CAI and ASAI were fed a line in utter bs and they don't give a crap either.

Sorry to be the bearer of such bad news but any designed to be mobile technology cannot be considered as anything more than a hit and miss internet access technology (only on the 3rd Tuesday of the month when the sun is in the 4th quadrant). The very nature of the technology means it is unsuitable to be called "broadband"...

Thanks for getting back to me, it's so frustrating they way they get away with it!! But at least you've saved me the hassle of contacting consumer agencies and getting more frustraed with them! I'm away off to vent on their Facebook page lol. Thnks again :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭adne

Ive been using three broadband in conjunction with a no-ip.com account to provide internet access to an ip camera.

This has stopped working the past three weeks, my public ip from three now shows as 178.x.x.x when i check my ip on the internet but it shows as 10.x.x.x when i run ipconfig locally.

A
    Has anything changed on three?

Hi, I can reate to all the comments here. I've had a not to bad, bearable service from three for 8 months but for the last month im getting speed test results as low as 0.07mbps!! :mad::mad: I've called them today asking them to cancel my contract with immediate effect so I don't have to pay for a service I'm not recieving. 0.07mbps is a far cry from what the sales team promoted when selling me my 60mb heavy usage contract.

I had the same problem last year with speeds as low as 0.02 mbps and after getting no satisfaction from Three I contacted Comreg who informed me they were looking into the matter.
    Three told me on the phone(Comreg confirmed) that speeds of 0.4 mbps was acceptable and
    Eventually Comreg got back to me and asked me to do more speed tests and to send them the results and although the speeds were still very low they found that the service being provided was adequate, when I mentioned the service I was sold promised download speeds of up to 21 mbps they said that is the maximum speed the wifi thingy can receive and not the actual download speed being received by the customer.
    Comreg from what I could tell couldn't care less.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭EdmondShiels3

I signed up to three last Thursday and I am having speed problems. At the time of writing this I cannot load a youtube video. My speed in 0.30mbps. I also have a problem connecting devices to the WiFi dongle, the signal from it is not strong enough. Will three be able to do anything to solve these problems? I was with O2 and had no problems, only left them to get a larger download limit.

I signed up to three last Thursday and I am having speed problems. At the time of writing this I cannot load a youtube video. My speed in 0.30mbps. I also have a problem connecting devices to the WiFi dongle, the signal from it is not strong enough. Will three be able to do anything to solve these problems? I was with O2 and had no problems, only left them to get a larger download limit.
    Sorry to hear of your issues, it is a real pain to say the least.
    Are you sure your speed isn't 0.03?
    My experience with Three customer service was that they say they will have someone look into it and then say they find the download speed acceptable and do nothing.
    If you're not locked into the contract yet now is the time to make noise with them.

Broadband still slow tonight, so I am going to go into the three shop tomorrow to complain about it. I hope it will be a good result, but not expecting one. Can they do anything to increase signal?

Broadband still slow tonight, so I am going to go into the three shop tomorrow to complain about it. I hope it will be a good result, but not expecting one. Can they do anything to increase signal?

I think they can increase speed when they want, when I complained to comreg and had to send them speed test results the speeds greatly increased before dropping again after.
    The weather definitely isn't helping though..

Going to talk to three tomorrow,the internet is unusable tonight cant load a youtube video? Hope tomorrow goes well and the problem is fixed. Did they to anything to help other people who had the same problem?

Going to talk to three tomorrow,the internet is unusable tonight cant load a youtube video? Hope tomorrow goes well and the problem is fixed. Did they to anything to help other people who had the same problem?

Just be careful not to pass the last date you can get out of contract. They might tell you they will try to increase your speed and have you doing silly things like turning on and off he dongle every hour and then say the technical tem are trying to sort it out but I tried it all over a long period time and nothing works, it seems they just have too many people signed up in my area. Now I'm left paying them €35 for nothing on top of the €40 I'm paying UPC to actually gt broadband (very fast from UPC).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

Just be careful not to pass the last date you can get out of contract. They might tell you they will try to increase your speed and have you doing silly things like turning on and off he dongle every hour and then say the technical tem are trying to sort it out but I tried it all over a long period time and nothing works, it seems they just have too many people signed up in my area. Now I'm left paying them €35 for nothing on top of the €40 I'm paying UPC to actually gt broadband (very fast from UPC).

Fight em if you have the time and energy it has been done.

Basics are

1) Send three an email with the subject line Formal Complaint to customer.services.ie@3mail.com and cc it to consumerline@comreg.ie.

In the email provide your account information and request that your account be terminated immediately without further cost to you because three haven't provided you with broadband.

Give as many low speed examples as you can and state that you have already been through three's troubleshooting process and that there was no improvement. Point out that after wasting X amount of time on pointless troubleshooting you will not be going down that route again.

Say that you have emailed the complaint to comreg because you will be following up with them if you don't get a satisfactory response from them within the 10 working days allowed by threes own dispute procedure.

Finally point out that as the service has been so bad that if there is no satisfactory outcome even with comregs involvement you will be forced to lodge a claim with the Small Claims Court for the cessation of your contract and the return of all money paid to three.

2) Follow up with comreg

3) Lodge a claim (costs €28) with the Small Claims Court.

Hopefully you won't have to go as far as 3.

Even if you lose at the SCC it can't cost you more than the €28 court fee because neither you nor three can claim costs. You may not be entitled to all your money back but three have to turn up to defend the case so it would be easier just to allow you to terminate the contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 oshea01

i have three broadband and have 60gb pro, used 60gb in 14 days, in that they say i used 14 gb in 1 day, has anybody got the same problem, i dont know of anybody who has used this amount, and i know people who use there computer for work, on it 24/7,,,

Advertisement