Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three mobile broadband

Options
  • 31-08-2012 7:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭

I signed up to three two months ago on their 60gb pro package,in the first week everything was fine but it's been downhill since with download speeds ranging from 0.19 to 0.30mbps,the service i was sold promised upto 21.
    I constantly have to switch the modem off and on after losing the connection,i've made countless calls to customer care who assure me someone from their tech team will get to me within 24hrs but they never do.
    One CC agent told me i was leaving the modem on too long and that 1-2 hours per day was enough!
    So the way i see it is that i've been missold a service and would like to ask has anyone been able to get out of the contract?

I'd appreciate any relevant input.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

fr3d12 wrote: »
    I signed up to three two months ago on their 60gb pro package,in the first week everything was fine but it's been downhill since with download speeds ranging from 0.19 to 0.30mbps,the service i was sold promised upto 21.

Welcome to the world of mobile internet not much you can do about it sorry to inform you

One CC agent told me i was leaving the modem on too long and that 1-2 hours per day was enough!
    [/QUOTE]

That's a good one...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭fr3d12

Hi,
    I have the 60gb pro package,according to their website it's suitable for heavy usage and streaming etc.
    If i want to watch a 60 second clip on youtube i have to pause it for 10 minutes.
    As for their CC they couldn't care less,their answer to everything is to reset the modem.
    Surely there are consequences if they do not provide the service they are being paid for!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

Its the misselling of the Mobile Broadband product as "Broadband" that really annoys me :mad:

tbh its a tough one to get out of as 3 will go by their T&C's and code of practice (both links to pdf files) but here's the simplest way to make a complaint that migh have some impact.

Firstly put together a good email complaint, include your 3 account information so there is no dispute as to who is complaining about what service then its up to you to put the case as best you can including any information about genuine misselling at time of sale and subsquent service history.

Then you email that with the subject line FORMAL COMPLAINT to customer.services.ie@3mail.com and CC it to consumerline@comreg.ie . If your complaint is one that Comreg can help with they will get back to you and indicate the timescale that 3 have to do something about it after which they can step in.

You might also want to point out that the problem is due to congestion in your area which is an issue three can't solve as they have no control over user numbers. That of course helps prevent Three comimg back and saying that they have checked everything and there's nothing wrong with their system even if there system is OK you want out of contract because 3 can't provide a service due to congection. Lots of speedtest results from peak times (early evening) can go to prove that congestion is the issue.

Thats all ontop of your issues noted here like constant resets. Another 3 tactic to be aware of is to say that your modem needs replacing so you either allow them to do that and follow up when it makes no differnce or prove in advance and include information in your formal complaint that its working fine. Test results from another area or with a different modem might help in that case, but thats more of an excuse that 3 use for iPhones and not so much MBB modems.

If that fails then afaik the Small Claims Court has been very sympathetic in the past with similar cases, you paid for a service didn't get it so you could get out of contract and all the money you have paid 3 - all you have to loose is a 25euro (ish?) court fee.

bealtine wrote: »
    Welcome to the world of mobile internet not much you can do about it sorry to inform you

That's a good one...

Not a new one though someone here reported that same thing being said by 3 in Mumbai about a B260a gateway router a device you'd expect to leave running day and night :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭-=al=-

i leave my 260 on for weeks on end... if im not going ot be online or whatever for a few days ill plug it out its a solid enough connection to be frank.. especilly since ive no alternative

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

3 bb has gone to the dogs with me for the past two or so months..been with them since 07 so can i just ring up and cancel willy nilly??

thinking about going with o2 pay as you go bb..or is that just a waste of time too??

philstar wrote: »
    3 bb has gone to the dogs with me for the past two or so months..been with them since 07 so can i just ring up and cancel willy nilly??

thinking about going with o2 pay as you go bb..or is that just a waste of time too??

All mobile "broadband" is hit and miss...you might be lucky and then 2 weeks later get nothing. Whatever you do don't tell your neighbours you have it and if they ask tell them to use a different network

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

philstar wrote: »

Depends on your location tbh, think you can get a trial period with o2 if you pay a deposit so I'd do that before signing up to a contract

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭juuge

All mobile "broadband" is hit and miss...you might be lucky and then 2 weeks later get nothing. Whatever you do don't tell your neighbours you have it and if they ask tell them to use a different network
    As I mentioned on another post, my Dad has tried them all and O2 was the best of a bad lot. But over the last few months the service has deteriorated and an O2 customer support guy told him the service was oversubscribed in his area hence the reduction in service. Could O2 not have seen this coming??

eirator wrote: »
    Its the misselling of the Mobile Broadband product as "Broadband" that really annoys me :mad:

tbh its a tough one to get out of as 3 will go by their T&C's and code of practice (both links to pdf files) but here's the simplest way to make a complaint that migh have some impact.

Firstly put together a good email complaint, include your 3 account information so there is no dispute as to who is complaining about what service then its up to you to put the case as best you can including any information about genuine misselling at time of sale and subsquent service history.

Then you email that with the subject line FORMAL COMPLAINT to customer.services.ie@3mail.com and CC it to consumerline@comreg.ie . If your complaint is one that Comreg can help with they will get back to you and indicate the timescale that 3 have to do something about it after which they can step in.

You might also want to point out that the problem is due to congestion in your area which is an issue three can't solve as they have no control over user numbers. That of course helps prevent Three comimg back and saying that they have checked everything and there's nothing wrong with their system even if there system is OK you want out of contract because 3 can't provide a service due to congection. Lots of speedtest results from peak times (early evening) can go to prove that congestion is the issue.

Thats all ontop of your issues noted here like constant resets. Another 3 tactic to be aware of is to say that your modem needs replacing so you either allow them to do that and follow up when it makes no differnce or prove in advance and include information in your formal complaint that its working fine. Test results from another area or with a different modem might help in that case, but thats more of an excuse that 3 use for iPhones and not so much MBB modems.

If that fails then afaik the Small Claims Court has been very sympathetic in the past with similar cases, you paid for a service didn't get it so you could get out of contract and all the money you have paid 3 - all you have to loose is a 25euro (ish?) court fee.

I have lodged a formal complaint with Three and also with Comreg.
    I am happy to honour my contract if Three do the same.

• Advertisement

Comreg has informed me that Three has ten days to respond to my complaint,it is now eight days since the complaint was made to Three and still they have not contacted me.
    I can only assume there are not concerned about Comreg.
    Latest speed test below
    .2231810233.png

No mobile company here is in the slightest bit worried or concerned about Comreg, they simply ignore anything Comreg have to say

No mobile company here is in the slightest bit worried or concerned about Comreg, they simply ignore anything Comreg have to say

That's what i thought so where is the accountability,surely they cannot be allowed sell a service that promises up to 21mbps and only provide less than 150th of that

That's what i thought so where is the accountability,surely they cannot be allowed sell a service that promises up to 21mbps and only provide less than 150th of that

Welcome to the world of mobile midband, it never will be "broadband" and should not be described or sold as such.
    Comreg are about as much use as a chocolate teapot

Welcome to the world of mobile midband, it never will be "broadband" and should not be described or sold as such.
    Comreg are about as much use as a chocolate teapot

I shouldn't be surprised by the lack of regulation,after all this is good ol' Ireland!
    When i suggested to CC in India or wherever they are that i would cancel the direct debit they said go ahead our collections department would then take over.
    I think the small claims court as mentioned earlier by another poster is the only option left and as much bad publicity for them as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

This is where 3 get you - the modem they sold you is capable of having a download speed up to that speed but the sad thing is that you'll rarely get a third of that. And the minimum they are contracted to supply is 2.3Mbps but what their agents will say is that if there is a lot of users on your mast, then having speeds of under 1Mbps is acceptable :(

FanadMan wrote: »
    This is where 3 get you - the modem they sold you is capable of having a download speed up to that speed but the sad thing is that you'll rarely get a third of that. And the minimum they are contracted to supply is 2.3Mbps but what their agents will say is that if there is a lot of users on your mast, then having speeds of under 1Mbps is acceptable :(

The 60GB pro package they sold me they say is suitable for large downloads and streaming,i cannot stream and even small downloads fail because the connection will break,as for the Huawei modem it will not charge anymore after less than 3 months,i have to leave it plugged in.
    In the first week i got speeds of 1Mbps and not since

Comreg has informed me that Three has ten days to respond to my complaint,it is now eight days since the complaint was made to Three and still they have not contacted me.
    Latest speed test below
    .2231810233.png

Just watch 3 at this stage, they sometimes come back at the last minute and say they have investigated and found nothing wrong with their system, which is true, but you aren't complaining about their system your complaning about YOUR speeds which have nothing to do with 3's system and far more to do with 3 having too many users in your area or you being in a poor reception area. If they do just get straight back to comreg and explain that they haven't investigated anything relevant to your issue.

But its still common for 3 to do nothing for the ten days and just leave comreg to sort it out.

Good Luck and let us know how you get on and exactly what 3 and comreg do and say as its good to know what the current 3 tactics are.

eirator wrote: »
    Just watch 3 at this stage, they sometimes come back at the last minute and say they have investigated and found nothing wrong with their system, which is true, but you aren't complaining about their system your complaning about YOUR speeds which have nothing to do with 3's system and far more to do with 3 having too many users in your area or you being in a poor reception area. If they do just get straight back to comreg and explain that they haven't investigated anything relevant to your issue.

But its still common for 3 to do nothing for the ten days and just leave comreg to sort it out.

Good Luck and let us know how you get on and exactly what 3 and comreg do and say as its good to know what the current 3 tactics are.

Thanks,i'll update when i know more.

I know what it is like I briefly had to use a three dongle, ok now, on UPC 60 mbps.

Sure sit tight the government have it all under control,

"Our commitment is to high speed broadband availability across the country during the lifetime of this Government – specifically:
    n 70Mbps - 100Mbps to more than half of the population by 2015; n At least 40Mbps, and in many cases much faster speeds, to at least a further 20% of the population and
    potentially as much as 35% around smaller towns and villages; and
    n A minimum of 30Mbps for every remaining home and business in the country – no matter how rural or remote."
    Source http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/files/PageTurning/NationalBroadbandPlan/index.html

Interesting.

• Advertisement

NoDrama wrote: »
    I know what it is like I briefly had to use a three dongle, ok now, on UPC 60 mbps.

Sure sit tight the government have it all under control,

"Our commitment is to high speed broadband availability across the country during the lifetime of this Government – specifically:
    n 70Mbps - 100Mbps to more than half of the population by 2015; n At least 40Mbps, and in many cases much faster speeds, to at least a further 20% of the population and
    potentially as much as 35% around smaller towns and villages; and
    n A minimum of 30Mbps for every remaining home and business in the country – no matter how rural or remote."
    Source http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/files/PageTurning/NationalBroadbandPlan/index.html

Interesting.

That's great so,the government always do what they say they will

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

That's great so,the government always do what they say they will

lol this X 100

The government will not follow through with this and in the end it will be a total disaster just like every other mobile midband solution they come up with

Ill go from

2243490468.png

to 30Mbps download in under 3 years....yeah right :rolleyes:

LaVail wrote: »
    lol this X 100

The government will not follow through with this and in the end it will be a total disaster just like every other mobile midband solution they come up with

Ill go from

2243490468.png

to 30Mbps download in under 3 years....yeah right :rolleyes:

I was being sarcastic but you are right,Broadband is the last thing on their mind right now,they're thinking how to rob money from the peoples pockets in December not find solutions to anything remotely connected to BB.

RE: my complaint to Three,they contacted me and said the reception is good in my area and no problems otherwise.
    On the plus side they couriered a modem to me which arrived today,it is not new like they said but it works at least for now.Whether by coincidence or not the day they rang my speeds went up quite a bit to just under 3mbps,more than 10 times what it was but alas is crap again today.
    I have emailed Comreg and filled them in on the situation and await their reply though i do not think they are at all interested going by their last email to me.
    I have the feeling i'm stuck with Three and their intermittent service for the next 9 months and the only possible way to get what i am paying for is to move to a town or city.

I was being sarcastic but you are right,Broadband is the last thing on their mind right now,they're thinking how to rob money from the peoples pockets in December not find solutions to anything remotely connected to BB.

RE: my complaint to Three,they contacted me and said the reception is good in my area and no problems otherwise.
    On the plus side they couriered a modem to me which arrived today,it is not new like they said but it works at least for now.Whether by coincidence or not the day they rang my speeds went up quite a bit to just under 3mbps,more than 10 times what it was but alas is crap again today.
    I have emailed Comreg and filled them in on the situation and await their reply though i do not think they are at all interested going by their last email to me.
    I have the feeling i'm stuck with Three and their intermittent service for the next 9 months and the only possible way to get what i am paying for is to move to a town or city.

I knew you were being sarcastic, that's why I decided to post my results etc to show how much of a farce this whole thing is.

Good luck with three by the way...I had to use comreg to get out of contract with them before and I was let out without fees...three will spout BS all day to try and make it seem like their network is the cats nats but it's not...now I just use a pre pay dongle when I'm badly stuck and not at home and as you can see the speed is ****e.

Anyway good luck.

I knew you were being sarcastic, that's why I decided to post my results etc to show how much of a farce this whole thing is.

Good luck with three by the way...I had to use comreg to get out of contract with them before and I was let out without fees...three will spout BS all day to try and make it seem like their network is the cats nats but it's not...now I just use a pre pay dongle when I'm badly stuck and not at home and as you can see the speed is ****e.

Anyway good luck.

Thanks for that.

As you can see from my other speed test i'm in the bottom 4-5% in the country but it does improve occasionally albeit temporarily.
    I'm really pissed with the way their service was sold to me.Three do not care once they have people tied into a contract.
    I opted for mobile BB because i'm currently living with my folks none of whom have any interest in ever using the internet.I could move at any time and a fixed line service would be no good to me.
    Anyway thanks again

Thanks for that.

As you can see from my other speed test i'm in the bottom 4-5% in the country but it does improve occasionally albeit temporarily.
    I'm really pissed with the way their service was sold to me.Three do not care once they have people tied into a contract.
    I opted for mobile BB because i'm currently living with my folks none of whom have any interest in ever using the internet.I could move at any time and a fixed line service would be no good to me.
    Anyway thanks again

No worries,

You're right about three not caring once you're in a contract. They will tell you there is no fault on their side but the reality is that too many people are overcrowding their cells and speeds are greatly affected.

Try getting meteor/02/vodafone PAYG dongles and see how their service is. If it's better than threes then you could always sign up to a contract with them and drop three. Sadly though no mobile midband provider is a substitute for fixed line broadband.

No worries,

You're right about three not caring once you're in a contract. They will tell you there is no fault on their side but the reality is that too many people are overcrowding their cells and speeds are greatly affected.

Try getting meteor/02/vodafone PAYG dongles and see how their service is. If it's better than threes then you could always sign up to a contract with them and drop three. Sadly though no mobile midband provider is a substitute for fixed line broadband.

I live in the Burren area of Co.Clare and have tried vodafone and o2 with Three being the "best".
    I was previously with Imagine and the service was faultless with very high speeds,i had unlimited downloads for 5 quid more a month as opposed to the 60GB i have with Three,in the 3 months with Three i have used less than 50 GB but when signing up had no idea what i was using and didn't want to be hit with their extortionate 5 euro per MB if over the allowance.
    Recently i was infected with the Gardai siochana ransomware/malware virus and have since installed hotspot shield for added protection,i'm still ironing out a few teething problems with that so hopefully when i'm using it more it will enhance my speeds unless i'm completely wrong in my thinking

Three have contacted me with regard to speed and boldly told me that 0.4 mbps is acceptable as a download speed,when i said it was not acceptable i was put on hold and then told they will ring me again when they check some things out,i was also told that there is no problems with the reception in my area and that they are not having any problems either.
    Today speeds have reached over 5 mbps for the first time ever and i find it more than a coincidence that the last day Three contacted me with regard to my complaint the speeds were also up to a new high

Three have contacted me with regard to speed and boldly told me that 0.4 mbps is acceptable as a download speed,when i said it was not acceptable i was put on hold and then told they will ring me again when they check some things out,i was also told that there is no problems with the reception in my area and that they are not having any problems either.
    Today speeds have reached over 5 mbps for the first time ever and i find it more than a coincidence that the last day Three contacted me with regard to my complaint the speeds were also up to a new high

This seems to support that (from Three October 2012 NBS Upgrade)
    Three employ network management tools to manage contention and it is something that is monitored as part of the NBS.

so if they fiddle with contention in NBS areas (which you'd have to be really sneaky to do and get away with as you'd have to throttle non NBS users in this instance rather than cut them off altogther or you'd get caught doing it) they can fiddle any with anyones connection.

• Advertisement

I've also recently discovered from another thread that 3 log the maximum speeds of your connection and these are the speeds they feed Comreg when you complain about slow speeds.

Advertisement