Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,072 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

New stand badly needed to replace the poor existing one that is not fit for purpose and is too far from the play.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭C__MC

I love the GAA.

They give Roscommon a requirement to match health and safety in the future yet pitch invasions are left right and Centre every weekend across the country

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭rn

New stand badly needed to replace the poor existing one that is not fit for purpose and is too far from the play.
    A new stand doesn't make the minimum requirement list give to county board.
    New dressing rooms
    Extensive tar macadam areas
    More toilets
    New turnstiles
    Are the major parts of the list.

Expensive enough updates in their own right.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

rn wrote: »
    A new stand doesn't make the minimum requirement list give to county board.
    New dressing rooms
    Extensive tar macadam areas
    More toilets
    New turnstiles
    Are the major parts of the list.

Expensive enough updates in their own right.
    The new dressing rooms are afaik second dressing rooms if its a double header .They currently use the one in the centre if needed and they are fairly small and need of work.The main dressing rooms are fine.

The other works needed aren't particularly expensive additions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

The ground definitely needs an upgrade to the toilet facilities. The ones on the stand side are particularly badly set up. Getting into them even at a league game is a right pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

As a Galway supporter, I am delighted it is in Roscommon. A great town for a match. And it is always better to play in a home / away venue than a neutral one in my experience.

I have to wonder about the Roscommon County board though. They had 2 years to sort out Hyde Park - 2 years! Yet according to that RTE article, it is some way off meeting the required standards for a provincial final. 2 years should have been enough to sort that out. In saying that, I cannot wait for a capacity crowd of close to 19000 - should make for a great occasion!

Roscommon cannot take on the 2 million plus debt that the likes of Galway had for Salthill

or the 8 million plus debt that McHale Park placed on Mayo GAA

there is no money in the county for expensive upgrade works

The county board wouldn't need to spend anything close to 2m to get the ground upto the standard required to hold a Connacht final and word is the works will be done in the very near future. They have no real choice now but to sort it out .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,356 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

yabadabado wrote: »
    The new dressing rooms are afaik second dressing rooms if its a double header .They currently use the one in the centre if needed and they are fairly small and need of work.The main dressing rooms are fine.

The other works needed aren't particularly expensive additions.

The main dressing rooms are far from fine. They are too small, are dark and dingy, and the couple of times I've been in them at games the showers flooded the dressing rooms. That whole development back around the turn of the century was an absolute scandal, and...... look I won't say any more, but we are still paying for it and it isn't and never was fit for purpose.

I'll leave it to the experts to decide what they want re:turnstiles, but the likes of toilets, walkways, etc are far from the level required.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Tomjim

Are there tickets available for the connaught final does anyone know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭franglan

Anyone hear when the Connacht final tickets are out?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

I believe tickets go on sale Tomorrow, Thursday at the usual outlets (tickets.ie. SuperValu/Centra)

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭AG123

http://connachtgaa.ie/news/ticket-details-connacht-football-final/

Delighted the final is in the Hyde but they HAVE to do something with the toilets... At the U20 game on Saturday, the ladies toilets wouldn’t flush and no water to wash hands either. It was the same at a league game earlier this year. Now that is a basic requirement... Loads of soap alright, but that was no good without water!!

Agreed that is just basic stuff,it's one thing to not have enough facilities and more toilets need to be built but at least have the ones that are there in working order.

It's probably a blessing in disguise that the Connacht Council have given the list of works needed to hold future CF and it's in the public domain.
    The County Board will have to make an effort now, they have done sea since the Slatttery report or the updated requirements they got in 2016.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

What's the parking situation at present, particularly if we want to be in for the start of the U-20's? I've been told to avoid the Athlone Road as they were fining cars parked there recently enough. Is there a spot where we won't be blocking residents/stuck in Ballinrobe-esque traffic for 9 hours post-match.

What's the parking situation at present, particularly if we want to be in for the start of the U-20's? I've been told to avoid the Athlone Road as they were fining cars parked there recently enough. Is there a spot where we won't be blocking residents/stuck in Ballinrobe-esque traffic for 9 hours post-match.

Which direction you coming from? Athlone side or Ballygar ?

Unless you act the maggot cops are very lenient and there is no major tailbacks afterwards .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

If you're coming from the Athlone side and want to avoid a parking ticket guaranteed, park on the hard shoulder opposite Hannons Hotel. It'll add a few minutes walk on but you'll have her faced for home, that's what I always do and it usually works out fairly well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Ya we'd be coming Athlone side. That hard shoulder looks great and the walk is no issue.

Thanks lads.

Ya we'd be coming Athlone side. That hard shoulder looks great and the walk is no issue.

Thanks lads.

Yeah that will be sound and only a ten min walk to the ground.Other option would be park in the town around Casey's and take the back road out after the game.
    You will avoid all the traffic and it only adds maybe 3km to the drive to Athlone.

• Advertisement

Tickets on sale now from GAA/Tickets.ie .

All sections available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭pjmn

Ordered mine today....

Roscommon beat Galway in the U20.A massive win ,Ros were big underdogs
    1.11 to 0.11

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭megadodge

yabadabado wrote: »
    Roscommon beat Galway in the U20.A massive win ,Ros were big underdogs
    1.11 to 0.11

That's a fantastic win. Galway's minors (U18) of two years ago were a fine side who reached the All-Ireland final. Well done Roscommon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭franglan

Rode our luck at times today. Shanaher went off with a head injury mid way through first half too. Hopefully he's OK for next week. Galway getting a man sent off at a similar time was a blessing. The team has a lot more to give, wasteful ar time in possession today. Cian McKeon kicked some nice scores today as expected. The goal was the game changer they can be and gave us a good lead to hold on to.

Roscommon name an unchanged team for next Sunday's Connacht final vs Galway

DfVqWdvU8Ac3KZO?format=jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

rossie1977 wrote: »

Very early to be naming a team.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭miocicmma

rossie1977 wrote: »

Galway need to be wary of the multiple quality scoring forwards in this Roscommon team. The Murtaghs The Smiths, Devaney and then Cathal Cregg off the bench.

Thay are also not going to line out in this positions. First off Kilroy is not playing LCF, F.Cregg will not play CHB.

It will be interesting to see who will man mark Comer. If they can neutralise him, I can't see Galway being able to stay with Roscommon.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭MattressRick

miocicmma wrote: »
    Galway need to be wary of the multiple quality scoring forwards in this Roscommon team. The Murtaghs The Smiths, Devaney and then Cathal Cregg off the bench.

Thay are also not going to line out in this positions. First off Kilroy is not playing LCF, F.Cregg will not play CHB.

It will be interesting to see who will man mark Comer. If they can neutralise him, I can't see Galway being able to stay with Roscommon.

He's Galways best forward but with Ian Burke there he's not the only target in the full forward line. Other forwards there to do damage just as good as the Roscommon forwards. Should be a good game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

He's Galways best forward but with Ian Burke there he's not the only target in the full forward line. Other forwards there to do damage just as good as the Roscommon forwards. Should be a good game.

Where were they last year when Comer went missing?

Advertisement