Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

miocicmma wrote: »
    McStay is 100% correct and I do think Roscommon will get the final.
    It will probably be a reduced capacity of 23k but thats still better than having it in McHale if its a Ros/Gal final,be hard pressed to get 15k at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

It should be in Hyde.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭miocicmma

yabadabado wrote: »
    McStay is 100% correct and I do think Roscommon will get the final.
    It will probably be a reduced capacity of 23k but thats still better than having it in McHale if its a Ros/Gal final,be hard pressed to get 15k at that.

It's in the interest of everyone in Roscommon to get the final played there, Not just the GAA but hotels, bars, restaurants, shops etc all stand to gain over the championship weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Seems like Croke Park decide when its home advantage or not.Wicklow got shafted but its all about the cash now.

No fault of Dublin ,they are a serious cash machine for GAA but if the Super 8 throws up a few surprises, then there will be uproar if teams don't get their home game,which is a real possibility.

The Leinster Council decide,not CrokePark

The problem is the amount of Dublin season ticket holders, will be interesting alright though i dont think there is any venue that might be an issue:confused:

The problem is the amount of Dublin season ticket holders, will be interesting alright though i dont think there is any venue that might be an issue:confused:

But aren't the provincial council's just an extension of Croke Park?

If every team gets a home game then couldn't there be issues and a team ends up losing home advantage?
    If the championship goes according to plan then most likely won't be an issue.
    Although if Roscommon capacity was set at 23k then problems could arise for the home fixture.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Who created that problem?
    The gaa

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

<snip>
    nope

Do you remember back to the debacle of the Ulster council deciding unilaterally to have a replay in the provincial football 2 weeks after the drawn game (rather than the week after).
    That left the qualifiers then all over the place but there was nothing the central authorities could do because the provincial championships and their scheduling are 100% the responsibility of the provinces.

BTW, in the terms and conditions of the season ticket theres no guarantee of getting into every game, nor a guarantee of getting a seat, so if a big game has to happen in the likes of Aughrim or Roscommon then it could be done.

On the season ticket thread people are giving out that they arent getting prime stand tickets in smaller grounds for the hurling round robbin and are considering cancelling, which shows the sense of entitlement out there that has to be catered for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

On the season ticket thread people are giving out that they arent getting prime stand tickets in smaller grounds for the hurling round robbin and are considering cancelling, which shows the sense of entitlement out there that has to be catered for.

I really don't understand that mentality. The season ticket saves you money (if you go to every game) over the course of the year and almost guarantees you a decent seat if your county are at Croker. It isn't diplomatic immunity.

If every team gets a home game then couldn't there be issues and a team ends up losing home advantage?
    If the championship goes according to plan then most likely won't be an issue.
    Although if Roscommon capacity was set at 23k then problems could arise for the home fixture.

Absolutely not, they are a major stumbling block to streamlining fixtures and c'ship reform

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Who created that problem?
    The gaa

And? You still cant just turn around and change the conditions attached to purchased tickets. Might be something they can look at for next year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

What exactly is the issue with Hyde Park? I read that there is an issue with scanners but surely Galway (if they beat Sligo) and Roscommon don't have a huge amount of season ticket holders???? "Egress" was the other issue I read about which also seems strange as Hyde Park was slated so badly by the Slattery report you would assume that those type of issues would have been sorted......Do they need to put in another exit to ensure people can get out of there quicker??

What exactly is the issue with Hyde Park? I read that there is an issue with scanners but surely Galway (if they beat Sligo) and Roscommon don't have a huge amount of season ticket holders???? "Egress" was the other issue I read about which also seems strange as Hyde Park was slated so badly by the Slattery report you would assume that those type of issues would have been sorted......Do they need to put in another exit to ensure people can get out of there quicker??

Croke Park told the county board 2 years ago there needed to be a permanent structure built for turnstiles/scanneres/segragation.Thats the main problem at present .

Egress/Leaving shouldnt be an issue at all,there are 2 large gates that will be opened on the athlone road exit(20ft+ wide) along with about 8 smaller gates they could use and there are the 3 massive gates in the middle(60ft +) if needed they could use .

The other exit from the stand is much narrower with about a 10/15 walk way out but the vaste majority use the other side.I suppose they could widen that area but I have never heard of it being an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭megadodge

At this stage it sounds like they're just making it up as they go along. Seriously!

Anybody stating egress in the Hyde is an issue is an idiot!

I guess what I posted here a few days ago must be true....
    I heard (not 100% reliable) the reason for the doubts over the Hyde hosting the Connacht final is because when Croke Park allocated the County Board the money for doing up the pitch there was c. 50k left over. Croke Park told the CB to hold onto it and finish off various other things like turnstiles with the money. Instead the CB put the money into the new Centre of Excellence site in Runnabrackan - and now Croke Park are very angry.

megadodge wrote: »
    At this stage it sounds like they're just making it up as they go along. Seriously!

Without a doubt the County Board have pissed off the powers that be.

From what Im told 30/40K would sort out the turnstile issue.

megadodge wrote: »

Colm Keys mentioned egress in an article a couple of days ago in the independent:
    https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/roscommon-satisfied-hyde-safety-issues-can-be-addressed-for-connacht-final-36956155.html

Yes, he's just mentioning it as we are, he's not making the ludicrous claims that egress is an actual problem. Further down the article just proves that when he states "When Dr Hyde Park hosted the 2015 Connacht final between Mayo and Sligo the attendance was 23,147 and there is much confusion now as to why there are issues just three years on.".

The truth is there aren't any safety issues, there's a 'do what you're told Roscommon County Board' issue.

The problem shouldn't be one that stops the final being played in the Hyde but its known for 2 years that GAA wanted a few things sorted in the Hyde and our CB didn't do it .
    If They ignore the issue then its always likely to bite them in the arse at some stage,shouldn't be giving any excuses to question the playing of the game in Roscommon.

Before the Slattery report the attendance was 32k ,crazy to think 7 years later we are fighting for 23k.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭flandabieduzie

Does anyone know what time the U20 match is on tomorrow in the Hyde?

7pm

Does anyone know what time the U20 match is on tomorrow in the Hyde?

Be careful though!

You could be taking your life in your hands by attending the Hyde.

I heard it's situated on a volcano that's just about to explode with fire-breathing dragons who are bred purely to kill Connacht people. Even if it doesn't, the air there is scientifically proven to shorten your lifespan by 30 years. No game should ever be played there again.

Signed Health & Safety employee on a leash.

• Advertisement

The U20s had a win that's hard to define in terms of how good the team are.

The final scoreline was 3-10 to 3-5, with Sligo scoring a goal on the final whistle, but to be honest at half-time Sligo must have been scratching their heads as to how they were actually one point down. They should have been at the very least 6-7 points up.

Red Og Murphy looked very dangerous and got two early goals to put them 2-1 to 0-2 up, but he hit the post three more times in the first half (one a goal attempt) and some of the other Sligo players' shooting was poor to say the least. Roscommon were ripped open defensively in the first 20 minutes, but began to tighten up and once they got the ball to Cian McKeon he caused all sorts of problems for their full-back line. He ended up with two excellent goals and a few points and looks the real deal as a lot of people have thought for the last year.

Once Roscommon scored early in the second half the writing was on the wall and with a combination of Roscommon playing themselves into it and Sligo losing heart the game was over long before the finish.

The Hyde confirmed for 17th June .4pm

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Excellent decision. Fair play to McStay for going on the PR offensive so early. The Connaught Council wouldn't have come out of this well at all, if they moved it.

A full house in Roscommon or 15k if They were lucky in McHale.
    It was always going to be in Ros.

Sensible decision and be intesting to hear what the capacity is set at.should be no problem having 25k .

Gray to see Ros back in a Connacht final in the Hyde.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭rn

I hope the Hyde will be safe and able to cater for the crowd, the powers that be were obviously concerned but it seems Mcstay can put everyones safety aside for his own good! Hope it doesn't come back to haunt the GAA.
    The Hyde is safe. This has 0 to do with Mcstay. It's the right call.

Incidents can and do happen, but hopefully there'll be none of note on Connacht final Sunday in Roscommon.

At least a crowd can disperse relatively quickly on numerous routes out of roscommon, unlike the gridlock that surrounds incident free salthill.

I hope the Hyde will be safe and able to cater for the crowd, the powers that be were obviously concerned but it seems Mcstay can put everyones safety aside for his own good! Hope it doesn't come back to haunt the GAA.

It's set at 18k only 8 years ago it was allowed hold 33k so there is no issue with H&S at 18k .
    Your remark about McStay is stupid,he had zero say in it,just gave his opinion and what all Ros supporters tjought.

Very obvious troll attempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Exterior already freshly painted in preparation.

Connacht Council have made it clear there will be no more finals in the Hyde after this until all works are completed.
    It's great to get this game and hopefully County Board will sort it out once the game is over,be same problem if we make Super 8.
    Not major work needed either.

• Advertisement

As a Galway supporter, I am delighted it is in Roscommon. A great town for a match. And it is always better to play in a home / away venue than a neutral one in my experience.

I have to wonder about the Roscommon County board though. They had 2 years to sort out Hyde Park - 2 years! Yet according to that RTE article, it is some way off meeting the required standards for a provincial final. 2 years should have been enough to sort that out. In saying that, I cannot wait for a capacity crowd of close to 19000 - should make for a great occasion!

Advertisement