Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brittish Soldier killed 7 hours after he gets back from Afghan

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

We are non-aligned,not neutral.

Just to follow up on this
    Bertie Ahern's government has repeatedly denied that the Americans' increased use of the airport has put security or neutrality at risk.

Source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/2689859.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

AFAIK Irish troops are allowed take part in operations with a UN mandate.

Anyway i think its shameful to see people on here gloating over the tragic death of a young man purely based on his career. Typical keyboard warriors.

AFAIK were not actively taking part in combat. We've 7 soldiers there training Afghani forces. I could be completely wrong on that though. UN missions don't affect our neutrality either I think as it's not Ireland invading, it's a UN force formed from a combination of different countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    I have never, ever heard the phrase "non-aligned" used.

I have, however, heard the phrase "neutrality" used a lot.

Mind you, our "neutrality" was sold down the swannee as soon as FF allowed the Americans to (ab)use Shannon Airport in their manufactured war.

But Ireland isent neutral. Non-aligned is is saying,in theory we could side with the Chinese tomorrow if we wanted. Or we could side with the US.

Ireland's Involvement with ISAF is a UN mandated mission,it just so happens that Nato is involved too.

http://www.military.ie/overseas/ops/asia/isaf/index.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

davrho wrote: »
    Does anyone on the board have experience of living there as a citizen now? I can't imagine it's a great quality of life. Don't think any of us are qualified to say.

Do I feel sorry that a family has lost their father/son/brother? Yes.

Do i like the way in the last few years that soldiers have been elevated to hero status by the media? No. There has to be more to this?

Only started reading the after hours section on boards.ie but there are some twists in most the debates. Good stuff all the same
    We only have what we here from others. That and photos as proof of what went on under the Taliban regime.

Take a look at "Photos that shook the world" in the Cool Vids and Pics forum and in there you'll find a few photos of what the Taliban did at the height of their power in Afghanistan. Anything would be better than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

I wouldn't comment on something like this unless i knew all the facts, something similar happened with some1 i know. He and his mates were jumped by a bunch of Polish thugs outside a nightclub and he hit one of them, guy fell and hit his head and was in a coma for 2 days, thankfully the guy is alrite. He had to go through a year of constant court hearings etc Being called a thug in the paper, only for him to be let go without charge.. self defense, multiple witnesses and video evidence etc.

Anyway, the papers love to paint the "Thug/hero" picture too much for my liking.

Btw, not saying that the guy that did it is not a thug, but you cant tell from whats been reported.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I have never, ever heard the phrase "non-aligned" used.

I have, however, heard the phrase "neutrality" used a lot.

Doesn't mean it's accurate.

http://www.cer.org.uk/articles/keohane_ind_feb03.html
    Non-alignment means the Irish government can support the use of force if necessary; but it also means that Ireland maintains its independence to make such a decision and is not bound to act due to a mutual defence agreement, such as in Nato
    Mind you, our "neutrality" was sold down the swannee as soon as FF allowed the Americans to (ab)use Shannon Airport in their manufactured war.

The rules never changed. Shannon has been open to all comers subject to certain rules for decades. It still is.
    I can't imagine it's a great quality of life. Don't think any of us are qualified to say.

I wouldn't say it is either, but from seeing the developments that are less than ten years old there, it's a heck of an improvement over what it was. Which is saying something. The place is a 16th century society, with mobile 'phones.

NTM

The rules never changed. Shannon has been open to all comers subject to certain rules for decades. It still is.

So Iraq or Afghanistan could ask to use it in order to retaliate against the invasion, and get the same response ?

Something tells me that isn't true. It should be, but I have my doubts.

So Iraq or Afghanistan could ask to use it in order to retaliate against the invasion, and get the same response ?

Well yes,if the Goverment wanted it that way then so be it. It never would though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭davrho

We only have what we here from others. That and photos as proof of what went on under the Taliban regime.

Take a look at "Photos that shook the world" in the Cool Vids and Pics forum and in there you'll find a few photos of what the Taliban did at the height of their power in Afghanistan. Anything would be better than that.

But the "others" we hear from are normally from propaganda outlets and it's hard to get any info called down the middle. We hear and see horror stories of troop actions but these come the opposition propaganda machines. Plenty of pics of bombed up civilians and the like which you won't see on sky news etc. Who is to believe? As I said i don't think most of us are qualified to say. Anyhow i think it's a bit off topic.

Again I will say i feel sorrow for the family involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

We would occasionally crack jokes about how Afghanistan is statistically safer for Americans than the US is. (It is, believe it or not.). All 750 of us in our unit came back alive last month (though a couple of feet were missing, and a few other breaks and perforations). On his second day back on his civilian job (Sheriff's Deputy) one of our troopers was shot and killed by some guy who was just generally pissed off with the world. If he were killed by insurgents, so be it, but the irony is not lost on us.

http://www.kold.com/Global/story.asp?S=12385835

My buddy in Afghanistan was feeling down after treating several people wounded from an IED attack. That same weekend, 32 people were shot, 2 people were stabbed and 6 people were killed in Chicago. The sad truth is, he's probably safer over there than in his own neighborhood...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

If memory serves, military aircraft of some 30 nations went through Ireland in 2008. I believe the offical rules are in one of the Air Transport (Navigation) acts, around 1955 or so. The rules are followed, or they're not.

NTM

Well yes,if the Goverment wanted it that way then so be it. It never would though.

What this Government wants has no influence on me; they don't represent me, and have made numerous choices which are against Ireland's best interests.

Anyway, we're drifting off-topic.

I just wanted to clarify what was said earlier in the context of the discussion; we can discuss it elsewhere if needs be.

Bottom line is that someone is dead; and - much as it pains me to say it - that would also apply if it happened on the battlefield as someone sent to their deaths in the greedy war for oil, while those responsible for the lies and the war sat on their padded leather chairs in their air-conditioned offices.

What this Government wants has no influence on me; they don't represent me, and have made numerous choices which are against Ireland's best interests.

That doesent matter though,they still do it........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

That's a disgusting and pretty pathetic comment, tbh. Being anti-war does not mean that you support the opposing "side" (assuming, that is, that the default assumption is that the entire western society should back any side at all).

What, you honestly think the poster is anti war? Personally i find someone revelling in someone else's death pretty disgusting, if he joins the Taliban then we can see if Karma really works can't we.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

So let me get this straight.

Soldier was serving his country in Afganastan, helping in a fight against a large group of well armed backwards thinking lunatics who make it their business to wreak terror everywhere, even their own soil killing women and children, suidice bombing, kidnapping, mudering etc... He was sent to work in one of the most dangerous places in the world which many of us wouldn't even consider thinking about going. He returns home to his wife and young child only to be killed by some little bastard up for a fight outside a club.

and now 9 pages in, people are discussing the fact that he was a soldier and if he actually deserved to die. Some even called it Karma.

Is this for fúcking real? This is a piss take isn't it? I mean I've read some stupid retarded ****e on boards before but this is a new low. This bloke probably wasn't a scumbag because that's what they do their best to NOT make you in the army! How the hell can some people have their heads stuck so far up their arses to think that all the army do is roam around sticking guns in the faces of civilians in whatever country they are in? They are trying to protect the people that live there because they have as much chance as anyone to be killed by these headcases! Suicide bombers in middle east kill their own countrymen! The British army is working with the Afghan army to try and stop all this!

Who deserves to die:
    1. A terrorist with a gun who will kill anyone for the so called "just cause" that they believe in including their own people like innocent civilians and children.

or

2. A signalman who is assisting the fight on these terrorists.

If you think that both have just as much right to life and that Karma got this poor bloke back, you're a ****ing moron. Simple as that.

Didn't anyone even notice that the chap who killed him is already out on bloody bail?!

What, you honestly think the poster is anti war? Personally i find someone revelling in someone else's death pretty disgusting, if he joins the Taliban then we can see if Karma really works can't we.

I don't know if the poster is anti-war, but the post that you replied to was basically objected to the lies and reasons behind the war.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Wagon wrote: »
    and now 9 pages in, people are discussing the fact that he was a soldier and if he actually deserved to die. Some even called it Karma.

Is this for fúcking real? This is a piss take isn't it? I mean I've read some stupid retarded ****e on boards before but this is a new low. This bloke probably wasn't a scumbag because that's what they do their best to NOT make you in the army! How the hell can some people have their heads stuck so far up their arses to think that all the army do is roam around sticking guns in the faces of civilians in whatever country they are in? They are trying to protect the people that live there because they have as much chance as anyone to be killed by these headcases! Suicide bombers in middle east kill their own countrymen! The British army is working with the Afghan army to try and stop all this!
    Some people just don't understand. That guy with the conspiracy theories digme for example hardly understands why the war in Afghanistan is still going on. In fact i'm fairly sure he's confusing Iraq for Afghanistan in some of his posts. They think that being anti war is always a good thing, the fact is that most of the time pacifism is wonderful but somehow I don't think the Taliban were going to be brought out of power by peaceful protests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

rubbish the Taliban are certainly not unarmed farmers
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/6768801.stm

They ambush schoolgirls because they dont think women should get an education jeez Irish soldiers are in Afghanistan too and it has a UN mandate
    http://unama.unmissions.org/default.aspx?/

I never mentioned the Taliban.

I never mentioned the Taliban.

Thats right your clearly mixing up unarmed farmers and the Taliban

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Some pretty retarded comments on this thread.

RIP Soldier.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

So let me get this straight.

Soldier was serving his country in Afganastan, helping in a fight against a large group of well armed backwards thinking lunatics who make it their business to wreak terror everywhere, even their own soil killing women and children, suidice bombing, kidnapping, mudering etc... He was sent to work in one of the most dangerous places in the world which many of us wouldn't even consider thinking about going. He returns home to his wife and young child only to be killed by some little bastard up for a fight outside a club.

Who deserves to die:
    1. A terrorist with a gun who will kill anyone for the so called "just cause" that they believe in including their own people like innocent civilians and children.

or

2. A signalman who is assisting the fight on these terrorists.

If you think that both have just as much right to life and that Karma got this poor bloke back, you're a ****ing moron. Simple as that.

Didn't anyone even notice that the chap who killed him is already out on bloody bail?!

Wow... you have been seriously brainwashed... lol.

Is this your true understanding of "terrorism" and the likes? The USA and UK, laughably, fed you this propoganda shíte and you swallowed it...

Try educate yourself maybe? Stop listening to sky/fox news and the likes ;) Just a tip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Thats right your clearly mixing up unarmed farmers and the Taliban

You're clearly confusing me with a British/US soldier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

The soldier could have called the "attacker" a prick and it might not have been a cheap shot at all. We'll all assume

A cheap shot is catching someone off guard unaware, so you think if someone calls you a prick the response is to punch them ? There are no reports of a struggle
    or punches exchanged between the parties all we know is that he was punched, hit the ground and is now dead. The is no excuses for lashing out physically at someone
    no matter what verbals were or weren't exchanged.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Who deserves to die:

I'm sure a lot of Afgani's would see the Brits over there as the terrorists, or at the least as Invaders...

A lot of Brits also think that they are in Afghanistan for all the wrong reasons and are essentially operating as terrorists over there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I'm sure a lot of Afgani's would see the Brits over there as the terrorists, or at the least as Invaders...

A lot of Brits also think that they are in Afghanistan for all the wrong reasons and are essentially operating as terrorists over there...

most Brits support the action in Afghan, the ones that don't (Apart from the tinfoil hat wearers) want the troops pulled out because they think the Afghans should sort out their own problems, or at least the rest of the world should step up to the mark and commit more troops.

i think there should be a rule that any UN country voting in favour of action like this should be obliged to send at least 1000 of their own troops to fight on the front line.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Internet dickwad factor is extremely high on this thread; 'tard levels are bordering on dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Highly Salami

Sykk wrote: »
    Imagine, his family delighted he's finally home, next minute some scumbag kills him after avoiding death in the war.. Makes me feel ill tbh..

Where in the article does it say that the soldier died?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Some people are so out of touch with reality, it's actually scary. Not going to quote anything in particular. I think I'll just sit back and watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Where in the article does it say that the soldier died?
    A soldier attacked and knocked unconscious outside a club just hours after returning from Afghanistan has died in hospital.
    Maybe the very first line of the story?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

digme wrote: »
    You join the military to defend your country,that's the whole point of having one.If your 22 and you joined the army in this day and age your a complete twat and more than likely a BIT slow in the head,,as you know what they are doing is wrong and your not going to be doing anything for your country in terms of defending it.

Liberating is not what they are there for.They are building a huge trans asian pipeline,and they are looting the country of many of their natural resources,they also have 100's of bases to keep china in checlk alogn with russia.Don't be so dam naive.

That is one of the most pig ignorant things I have ever read, not just on boards, but in life.

When you join the army, you can be sent anywhere to defend its interests, be that at home or abroad. The Uk has soldiers stationed globally, most non-operational in Cyprus, Ethiopia, Germany, Sierra Leone and Gibraltar to name a few. Those that are operational are stationed in the Balkans and Afghanistan.

There are several reasons why one joins the army. One major factor could be that he couldn't get a job so he needed to provide for his young family, so the army and its pension seems like a good idea. It could be family tradition to serve in the forces. You never know a persons reasons for joining unless they say so don't assume he's a bit slow or a twat...

And to be honest I'm not going to even bother wasting my time replying to that conspiracy theory tripe you spout

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement